Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Nenonen posted:

Curious minds want to enquire, if the Sarkozy government goes fully in support of the Libyan opposition and they fall, how much of an egg to face would that be for him?

Sarko seems like the sort of guy that would send the DeGaulle and a few wings of Rafales unilaterally instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Leperflesh posted:

Jesus wept. If Israel sent fighter planes into libya to make airstrikes and shoot down (arabic, muslim) fighters, I think it'd spark off a full-scale middle-eastern war.

Short of deploying nuclear weapons, I can't think of a worse possible development.

Yes yes, centuries in the making etc. What do you think the response would be if they approached the Libyan resistance counsel and offered their assistance? With their blessing do you think the same outcome would occur?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Amandyke posted:

Yes yes, centuries in the making etc. What do you think the response would be if they approached the Libyan resistance counsel and offered their assistance? With their blessing do you think the same outcome would occur?

The destructive capacity of every Fox New employee exploding with the power of a cruise missile isn't something to scoff at.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Jesus wept. If Israel sent fighter planes into libya to make airstrikes and shoot down (arabic, muslim) fighters, I think it'd spark off a full-scale middle-eastern war.

Short of deploying nuclear weapons, I can't think of a worse possible development.

With their blessing (and help), Gaddafi recruited his mercenaries. Te outcome of this, if/when it becomes more widely-known in the Middle East, is going to be pretty bad for them (in terms of making allies at least).

e: Quoted wrong guy.

e2: Like Britain/France going in on their own? Or supplying weapons/training to the rebels? I doubt the former will happen if they don't get a UN resolution, unless Gaddafi bombs them or something (which is actually possible given his history). The latter seems remotely possible though.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 11, 2011

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Yeah this rebellion is going to be utterly crushed unless there's a no fly zone. Something unilateral may occur perhaps?

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

ChaosSamusX posted:

Against Western Air superiority, conventional military victory is implausible if not outright impossible. Especially considering that they aren't doing so well already.

Are we assuming that the establishment of any No-Fly-Zone will naturally transition into a ground interdiction campaign at this point? Because I don't think that keeping the Libyan Air Force grounded is going to be enough to hand the Libyan rebels victory. There's obvious deficiencies in their training, arms, and organization that are not going to be overcome in a matter of days. I certainly can't see them taking Tripoli anytime soon.

edit: France and Britain both seem to be interested in lending a hand to the rebels... anyone think they could intervene effectively on their own? They certainly are pressing the matter more than any other Western Country. I personally think it would be nice to see the Euros shoulder the burden since this really affects them more than the U.S.

New Division fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 11, 2011

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

redscare posted:

Sarko seems like the sort of guy that would send the DeGaulle and a few wings of Rafales unilaterally instead

That's what I'm wondering - is it a political suicide pact between Sarkozy and the rebs so that after this he's not going to back down from providing concrete support to them? But this sort of depends on the French domestic politics.

The next presidential elections will be next year and current polls show the ultra right wing candidate Marine Le Pen leading over Sarkozy at 23% against 21%. This doesn't mean much yet (even if elections were held now, they'd need over 50% of votes to win and I doubt Le Pen could gain that many voters on the second round), but failing with Libyans might taint the government's reputation. The main issue on the agenda for both Sarkozy and Le Pen, though, is TEH MUSLIMATIC MIGRANTS :byodood: so maybe Sarko could count on the risk being bearable.

And if it DOES fail, he can say that his intention all along was to pre-empt the flock of TEH MUSLIMATIC REFUGEAS :byodame: that would no doubt head to Europe if Gaddafi's battalions managed to crush the rebellion.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
This sounds like a job for a loosely-defined COALITION OF THE WILLING! Someone get Poland on the phone.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jamsque posted:

This sounds like a job for a loosely-defined COALITION OF THE WILLING! Someone get Poland on the phone.

The island of Palau has already accepted the invitation.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

New Division posted:

Are we assuming that the establishment of any No-Fly-Zone will naturally transition into a ground interdiction campaign at this point? Because I don't think that keeping the Libyan Air Force grounded is going to be enough to hand the Libyan rebels victory. There's obvious deficiencies in their training, arms, and organization that are not going to be overcome in a matter of days. I certainly can't see them taking Tripoli anytime soon.

There was a post a few pages ago that mentioned a new head of the rebel military, as well as handing the arms of the civilians over to ex-soldiers in hopes of creating a more organized force.

That said, the same statements also mentioned digging in deeper in Ras Lanuf, right before Gaddafi's forces moved in and took over yesterday. We have yet to see how much of an effect this shakeup in military structure will bring.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

New Division posted:

edit: France and Britain both seem to be interested in lending a hand... anyone think they could intervene effectively on their own?

Intervene with ground forces? I don't know much about French armor but I do know that while the challenger 2 is a very effective tank, I doubt the British would be willing to risk losses with them to aid Libya. They have what, less than 400 of them? France doesn't fare much better in terms of the number of Leclerc tanks they have either, also less than 400.

That said considering Libya only has roughly 300 T-72's and more T-62's and T-55's the balance of power would be easily in the more modern British and French MBT's. I just don't think they'd be willing to commit.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Nenonen posted:

That's what I'm wondering - is it a political suicide pact between Sarkozy and the rebs so that after this he's not going to back down from providing concrete support to them? But this sort of depends on the French domestic politics.

The next presidential elections will be next year and current polls show the ultra right wing candidate Marine Le Pen leading over Sarkozy at 23% against 21%. This doesn't mean much yet (even if elections were held now, they'd need over 50% of votes to win and I doubt Le Pen could gain that many voters on the second round), but failing with Libyans might taint the government's reputation. The main issue on the agenda for both Sarkozy and Le Pen, though, is TEH MUSLIMATIC MIGRANTS :byodood: so maybe Sarko could count on the risk being bearable.

And if it DOES fail, he can say that his intention all along was to pre-empt the flock of TEH MUSLIMATIC REFUGEAS :byodame: that would no doubt head to Europe if Gaddafi's battalions managed to crush the rebellion.

Any idea what the chance of mass immigration in either scenario? If Gaddafi wins and crushes the rebellion, people are going to want to leave. If he loses, the rebels inherit a country he's half destroyed, and without the prospect of finding jobs combined with your home having a hole in the roof, people are going to want to leave.

It's like in Tunisia, thousands of people got on boats and headed to Italy because Ben Ali was forcing them to stay, and once he fled they took it as their to get out.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

New Division posted:

:words:

First of all, it's pretty likely that a No Fly Zone would involve Interdiction on some level at the very least.

Second of all, the UK and France launching an NFZ is effectively the same as all Europe launching one due to the fact that they have the two best equipped carriers in the whole continent.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I don't know everything going on, on the ground, but I interpret these setbacks suffered by the rebels to be due to Gadaffi's air power. I do understand, the seriousness a no fly zone would entail, bombing the ground, and monitering the skies, is likely not enough to prevent, bad things, or further set backs, but it gives the rebels a chance.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Amandyke posted:

Intervene with ground forces? I don't know much about French armor but I do know that while the challenger 2 is a very effective tank, I doubt the British would be willing to risk losses with them to aid Libya. They have what, less than 400 of them? France doesn't fare much better in terms of the number of Leclerc tanks they have either, also less than 400.

That said considering Libya only has roughly 300 T-72's and more T-62's and T-55's the balance of power would be easily in the more modern British and French MBT's. I just don't think they'd be willing to commit.

I can't say I think ground intervention is likely either, but who knows? Western nations are much more willing to wade in when an oil-producing nation is involved. But if ground intervention is the game, then I have to imagine it will be the US sending the Marines back to the shores of Tripoli.

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I guess we no longer have to pretend that the US is pro-Democracy, so that's one thing I guess.

Why can't the US just abstain from the NATO vote? Why can't the US just say, "Look, we're kind of broke right now, but if y'all want to help go right ahead, we won't stop you?" Oh, yeah, that would make the US look weak :rolleyes:

Honestly I don't see not having a no-fly zone working out any better than having a no-fly zone worked out in Kosovo and Iraq. No matter what anyone does, a poo poo-ton of people are going to die. Any possible edge the world can give the rebels should be given to them without all this dick-waving bullshit.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Amandyke posted:

Some losses would definitely be expectable, but the 2003 Iraq war showed that a 1st world army can reliably defeat even a heavily armed 3rd world army with neglectable losses. And bear in mind, Iraq is about four times larger by population than Libya, and many parts of Libya are already out of Gaddafi's control.

A bigger issue would be planning, I think. For the last Iraq war the planning must have started in 1991, and plans were constantly updated. I doubt anyone has an up to date plan for the invasion of Libya ready. I'm sure many general staffs are working on those plans right now and an invasion could be launched, but it helps to have months to gather intelligence and refine the plan, rather than having to rush it. But some combat troops could probably be sent in to defend the bridgehead in advance while the main force was being assembled and plans refined. But at this moment I doubt that France or UK would seriously commit themselves to a land campaign.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

Nenonen posted:

Some losses would definitely be expectable, but the 2003 Iraq war showed that a 1st world army can reliably defeat even a heavily armed 3rd world army with neglectable losses. And bear in mind, Iraq is about four times larger by population than Libya, and many parts of Libya are already out of Gaddafi's control.

A bigger issue would be planning, I think. For the last Iraq war the planning must have started in 1991, and plans were constantly updated. I doubt anyone has an up to date plan for the invasion of Libya ready. I'm sure many general staffs are working on those plans right now and an invasion could be launched, but it helps to have months to gather intelligence and refine the plan, rather than having to rush it. But some combat troops could probably be sent in to defend the bridgehead in advance while the main force was being assembled and plans refined. But at this moment I doubt that France or UK would seriously commit themselves to a land campaign.

Who would we send sans a draft?

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran

Apology posted:

Honestly I don't see not having a no-fly zone working out any better than having a no-fly zone worked out in Kosovo and Iraq. No matter what anyone does, a poo poo-ton of people are going to die. Any possible edge the world can give the rebels should be given to them without all this dick-waving bullshit.

You're still simplifying it too much. Competent military operations involve extensive planning and have to take into account contingencies. The US has gotten itself burned far too many times by engaging with half-measures or poor planning (see Vietnam, Somalia, Afghanistan, and Iraq Part 2).

The current NATO vote doesn't mean much anyway, simply that there is still indecision at high levels. A new vote could easily be held tomorrow.

After Iraq and Afghanistan the US has been under quite a bit of (deserved) criticism. It should be viewed as a positive development that there is some pause and consideration going into the decision to intervene. The mandate is far from clear.

There's a host of options and issues without clear answers. Does a no-fly zone extend to cruise missiles being slammed into airfields? Do unmanned drones hitting tank columns constitute "boots on the ground"? Communication lines with the opposition aren't exactly reliable (see British SAS fiasco). Nor is there unanimity amongst the opposition as to levels of intervention, nor clear chains of command throughout the rebel held areas.

How does a guy with a single day of training manning an AA gun know whether that jet overhead is Libyan or American?

Everything we've learned about outside military intervention tell us that these situations are Pandora boxes just waiting to be opened. Which is not to say that this situation doesn't demand intervention. What I'm trying to say is that a quick, poorly thought out commitment to a no fly zone would be foolhardy. No half measures, you either commit all resources necessary, and accept responsibility for the fallout of intervention, or you don't.

As a side note, in regards to Sarkozy, he's responding this way because France flubbed its response to Tunisia so badly. It caused a scandal and their foreign minister was forced out because of it. He's trying to portray himself as proactive and leading the way in Libya in an attempt save face and gear up for elections.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Sivias posted:

"We"? Care to specify who you mean by that?

Apology posted:

Why can't the US just abstain from the NATO vote? Why can't the US just say, "Look, we're kind of broke right now, but if y'all want to help go right ahead, we won't stop you?" Oh, yeah, that would make the US look weak :rolleyes:

Here's an idea: the US could bribe persuade the Iraqi government to send a couple of brigades of 'peace keepers' to Libya, the logistics being provided by NATO. Being Arabs they wouldn't be considered so much of foreigners as the Europeans or Americans, and the Iraqi army is well trained and armed compared to Libyans. They have some M1A1 Abrams tanks already.

GodlessCommie
Apr 4, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nenonen posted:

Here's an idea: the US could bribe persuade the Iraqi government to send a couple of brigades of 'peace keepers' to Libya, the logistics being provided by NATO. Being Arabs they wouldn't be considered so much of foreigners as the Europeans or Americans, and the Iraqi army is well trained and armed compared to Libyans. They have some M1A1 Abrams tanks already.

Pretty sure they'll need to be using those tanks and soldiers on their own citizens in a week or two.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Amandyke posted:

I think that the Libyan resistance council would turn down offers of anything other than humanitarian aid from Israel. And maybe even turn down that, too.

There might be a few people in Libya willing to accept Israeli military intervention, but I expect they'd be an extreme minority even among the rebellious disaffected youth that sparked the protests in the first place. As Narmi pointed out, Israel is already on the record as preferring Ghaddafi to another pro-Palestinian state emerging in the region, and I think regular Libyans are well aware of that fact and would regard any such offer from Israel as being highly, highly suspicious.

That's all more of my not-very-well-informed opinion, though, since you asked.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Apology posted:

I guess we no longer have to pretend that the US is pro-Democracy, so that's one thing I guess.

It's not like the US threatened to veto :confused:, my understanding is that France/UK (the only other states I could imagine enforcing one) don't want to go forward without the US involved.

Besides, it makes way more sense to do it under a UN mandate than a NATO mandate.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Xandu posted:

It's not like the US threatened to veto :confused:, my understanding is that France/UK (the only other states I could imagine enforcing one) don't want to go forward without the US involved.

Besides, it makes way more sense to do it under a UN mandate than a NATO mandate.

Yeah, but are the Russians and the Chinese going to let there be a UN mandate for intervention?

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone have an updated link to the current state of Libya in regards to areas of control?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Sivias posted:

A few brigades of the 1st AD.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

New Division posted:

Yeah, but are the Russians and the Chinese going to let there be a UN mandate for intervention?

I think China is more likely to abstain than veto (they almost never veto), but IIRC you are right and Russia has threatened to veto a no-fly zone.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
As a followup to this:

Petey posted:

No, it's speculators.

e: let me elaborate. There are two components to the price of a barrel of oil. There is what you might sloppily call the primary price, which is something like a rough equilibrium between supply and demand at a healthy profit margin. Then there is the speculative price, which is a function of a futures contract placed by speculators, who are essentially trading agreements to pay what they believe the price of oil to be in the future. This fluctuates wildly as traders do.

Almost no single thing you read about actually affects the day to day supply of oil, at least with the immediacy it obtains at the price at the pump (even if the strait of Hormuz was closed entirely, oil shipped yesterday would still take some time to arrive at refineries, and then be refined, and be available). What affects day to day prices is huge, tremendous amounts of speculative trading on the stock market. Some economists have put as much as 60% of the cost of oil at the pump is actually just inflation based on these futures speculations, as opposed to a more "natural" price more closely related to supply/demand.

e2: more reading for a lay audience- http://money.howstuffworks.com/oil-speculation-raise-gas-price1.htm

I posted this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3396041&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

For those of you who were interested in the topic, so it wouldn't derail here.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

L-Boned posted:

Anyone have an updated link to the current state of Libya in regards to areas of control?

This is from the BBC yesterday - the situation's changed in Zawiya and there might be fighting in Ras Lanuf or the rebels might have left, not sure which, but other than that I think it's a pretty fair representation.

Click here to view the full image

If you want something a bit bigger, these might be better (they're from yesterday too):

Narmi fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 11, 2011

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
It's morning in Libya, which means Al Jazeera's live blog is updating with more local news (rather than western events, which show up in their evening-time blog posts.)

What shocking news do we have today?

Al Jazeera posted:

7:36am

Gaddafi has forced foreign migrants to fight in the ranks of the Libyan forces that remain loyal to him, according to the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) and the Libyan League for Human Rights (LLHR).

Thousands of migrants from other African countries have been sent to the front line or used as human shield for Libyan soldiers, they say.

"The life of African migrants in Libya is under real threat," Sliman Bouchuiguir, the LLHR's general-secretary, said.

He called on the UN Security Council to intervene to stop the practice, arguing that it violates basic migrant rights under international law.

Oh, right- loving CONSCRIPTS BEING USED AS SHOCK TROOPS.

Gaddafi is now a South Park character, using "Operation Human Shield" aka "Operation Get Behind the Darkies." (No convenient youtube link found. Deal with it.)

edit:

Tadhg fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 11, 2011

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
Woah. Tokyo just got loving *wrecked*.

E: 7.9 on the richter scale. For reference, an 8 magnatude earthquake is seen only once every 100 years and is considered 'major'. And a tsunami is on it's way. Is there a thread about this yet?

Don't major natural disasters like this spike oil prices too? Combined with Libya - and loving Saudi Arabia rioting in the streets in like 4 hours...

This could not have come at a worse moment. North Korea - please stay in your cage for now, now is not the time to start any of that "test fire" bullshit.

Sivias fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 11, 2011

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Sivias posted:

Woah. Tokyo just got loving *wrecked*.

E: 7.9 on the richter scale. For reference, an 8 magnatude earthquake is seen only once every 100 years and is considered 'major'. And a tsunami is on it's way. Is there a thread about this yet?

8.8 magnitude is what I'm reading, but even then they're not that rare. They happen once every few years. Plus Tokyo and other major Japanese cities are supposed to be very well prepared for earthquakes, so hopefully damage will be minimal.

edit: Last year's Chile earthquake was also 8.8

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/usc0001xgp.html

quadratic fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 11, 2011

Quizero
Jan 28, 2009

Xandu posted:

If only Italy wasn't a disaster, then they could take some action. It really sucks for the US, it seems like Britain and France want the US to do the dirty work to get rid of a dictator propped up by Europeans. Have there even been any plans to get French or British Aircraft into Malta or somewhere else closer where they could actually take action if necessary?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
A lot of people suddenly think Gaddafi is still going to win this? I think even if he was unchallenged militarily (he isn't, remember that most if not all of the rebel's military will be in the east, Zawiyah was relatively undefended) he simply doesn't have the manpower to retake Libya. It would be like the Netherlands trying to occupy Germany; sure our troops could take a big city maybe, but what if you want to take the next one? You have to move out and the former conquered city simply rebels.

The worst case scenario here is a stalemate-ish because of the rebels hesitating to approach Tripoli without air support and Gaddafi shelling a few towns around Tripoli and eventually being starved out or turn into an anarchist hell-hole.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Namarrgon posted:

A lot of people suddenly think Gaddafi is still going to win this? I think even if he was unchallenged militarily (he isn't, remember that most if not all of the rebel's military will be in the east, Zawiyah was relatively undefended) he simply doesn't have the manpower to retake Libya. It would be like the Netherlands trying to occupy Germany; sure our troops could take a big city maybe, but what if you want to take the next one? You have to move out and the former conquered city simply rebels.
Pretty much this.

By all accounts, Ghadaffi was using pretty much everything he had left to take Zawiyah, and he barely managed it. And he missed the deadline he had demanded it be taken by. And while he was doing that, the Rebels made another push. And France and whole shitload of other countries have declared him illegitimate. And the rebels are becoming less of a mob and more of an army. And a No Fly Zone might get slapped together, regardless of what NATO or the UN thinks. And foreign opinion of him is dropping like a rock because he's blowing up oil rigs and saying he's going to work with Al-Queda.

Individually, any of those would be bad. Together? Ghadaffi is hosed, and he knows it. Right now, he's just a spoiled child knocking down his block tower so none of the other kids can play with it. That's all he can do, and it will never be enough.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 11, 2011

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
A No Fly Zone is not going to make any difference on the ground. Without an air force the pro-government side appears to have more then enough heavy weapons and troops to take on the rebel side. It may seem like the time it took to take one city is some sort of victory but remember this is the first successful combat operation by the Libyan armed forces ever. In the past they were soundly beaten by the US Navy, Egypt, Chad and Tanzania.

The NFZ also has an endless list of difficult questions that need to be addressed before the first images of civilians killed by NATO start appear:
-Will planes of the Libyan state airline on scheduled flights be shot down as well ?
-What about helicopters ? And what if they now start carrying Red Crescent markings ?
-Will air defense installations be attacked if rebels taken prisoner are put next to them ?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
1) It can be limited to military aircraft, or it could apply to all aircraft not flying into rebel controlled airports. This isn't insurmountable

2) This will still be an issue bu at this point I don't think there are any civilian helicopters taking to the air in the contested areas.

3) We can take out the SAM sites, command and control sites, and the air force runways with precision missile strikes. It's not ideal, people will still be put at risk, but I suspect the risks are acceptable relative to the harm the Libyan air force is inflicting and may continue to inflict.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The depressing fact is that Gaddafi is prepared to do truly awful things to win the civil war, including forcing immigrants to be cannon fodder, bombarding cities without any concern about the citizens in those cities, using civilian hostages as humand shiedls, and slaughtering disloyal troops. These are all things that he's been reported as doing, and the rebels can fortify a city, but there's only so much you can do against constant artillery barrages.

Live Blogs
Guardian
AJE
Quick round up - Everything is poo poo.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

CeeJee posted:

The NFZ also has an endless list of difficult questions that need to be addressed before the first images of civilians killed by NATO start appear:
-Will planes of the Libyan state airline on scheduled flights be shot down as well ?
-What about helicopters ? And what if they now start carrying Red Crescent markings ?
-Will air defense installations be attacked if rebels taken prisoner are put next to them ?

These are such difficult questions that any random internet poster without any military background can answer them;

1) Libyan state airline planes can radio in to ask permission?

2) Red Crescent helicopters or humanitarian aid aircraft in general can radio in to ask permission?

3) NFZ only over Rebel-controlled Libya?

Seriously it is not as if the UN installs some form of Death Laser that indiscriminately vaporizes everything vaguely metal over 300m high in the air.

e. You guys realize that "No Fly Zone" really means "No Unauthorized Flights Zone" right?

Namarrgon fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

There's a big day of protest planned today in Saudi Arabia:

quote:

The focus may be on Libya, but Saudi Arabia is today bracing itself for a "day of rage". A coalition of liberals, rights activists, moderate Sunni Islamists and Shia Muslims have called for reform and set up a Facebook page that has attracted more than 30,000 people.
The government, however, forbids protests and the big Saudi cities are already flooded with police.
As Reuters reports:
"The government made those views clear late on Thursday, when police dispersed Shia protests in the town of Qatif in the oil-producing Eastern province. Shots were heard from the area where some 200 people were demonstrating.
Dozens of uniformed police patrolled main squares in Riyadh as scores of police cars toured the streets. A helicopter circled above one city mosque and busloads of police were parked nearby, significantly raising the security presence. There was also a heavy police presence in the second city of Jeddah.
If protests take place, they might start up after noon prayers at 1 p. (1000 GMT) or after evening prayers around 5 pm (1400 GMT)."
For background, here's a piece from our Middle East editor, Ian Black.

quote:

For more on the background to and implications of today's Saudi protests, here is a piece from a Saudi blogger who warns:

quote:

"If the government uses violence to crack down on protesters, this will fuel their anger and push them to protest even more and in larger numbers in the future."
And this from the Guardian's Terry Macalister, who looks at what protests could mean for the Saudi oil industry and the global oil market.

If you think people are bitching about petrol prices at the moment just wait a couple of weeks.

• Locked thread