Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Angora posted:

Can someone post some good videos on opening a closed guard?

I know better than to watch submission101... but they have like five hundred videos up!

That is one of those things where videos will not really help, because it is very nuanced and is really more about practice than knowing different techniques.

Just keep trying what you know and you'll get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
Speaking of, how does the no posture pass work for people here? I worry that trying to develop it too much tends to make me neglect working on other kinds of passing and I'm just not sure if I can hone it to the point where it can be a go-to pass. Anybody getting a lot of mileage out of it?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Speaking of, how does the no posture pass work for people here? I worry that trying to develop it too much tends to make me neglect working on other kinds of passing and I'm just not sure if I can hone it to the point where it can be a go-to pass. Anybody getting a lot of mileage out of it?

I worked on it for a while, but ultimately decided to put it away because it didn't fit well into the rest of my passing game at the time.

Watching Wilson Reis and Tozi in competition it certainly seems to be something you can use as a go-to if you work at it, especially if you have a strong half-guard passing game.

MuonManLaserJab
Nov 6, 2010

- JIU-JITSU (18 Submissions)
- QUANTUM PHYSICS

Grab Your Foot! posted:

I use it a lot in training. It's the pass that works most for me against bigger or higher-belted opponents. And as fatherdog said I spend a lot of time trying to pass half-guard.

The first time I tried it (after seeing it on youtube...I know) against a blue belt with a closed guard I couldn't otherwise open, he laughed at me for trying to pass without posture, saying he'd get my back, underhook be damned. That sort of made me want to get it to work...

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
Maybe he would but I can't say I have many blue belts taking my back while working it. My biggest issue is not doing a very good job of creating the angle to step over my leg.

Mostly people respond by trying to create space for an omoplata or trying to control the arm to my passing side for a triangle but the back not so much, and I don't mind working to pass half guard from the no posture because it leaves you in pretty good position to do so, good control.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
I've been trying to get a no posture guard pass working. But I can only get it against much smaller opponents. Its one where you have to cradle your opponent and slowly move into side control. It would be really nice if I could set it up better, but as is I'm really afraid to be choked and I don't really have anything else I can do from there besides rest. Overall, its more of a novelty I think.

Edit: this is it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt5QRZCWPlg&playnext=1&list=PL947DB52117D20B47

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
When guys try it with me I never really feel like I'm in a position to get the back; what they do seem to give me a lot is opportunities to bow-and-arrow choke

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

Not exactly, it's what Wilson attempts here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqocg5_0bzQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=128s and it kinda works before Ryan grabs his foot. Somewhere someone described it as a dumb white belt technique someone went and perfected and that's kind of the appeal and concern to me. I like it but I worry that if I'm not Wilson it'll be the pass that doesn't work against really good people.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Not exactly, it's what Wilson attempts here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqocg5_0bzQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=128s and it kinda works before Ryan grabs his foot. Somewhere someone described it as a dumb white belt technique someone went and perfected and that's kind of the appeal and concern to me. I like it but I worry that if I'm not Wilson it'll be the pass that doesn't work against really good people.

I don't know about at the highest levels but one of the black belts at my gym hits it on a lot of dudes and he's like 65.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I remember last year someone did a pretty sweet write up for the NCAA wrestling tournament, this years one is coming up next weekend, and if someone wants to write something that would be great(the only thing last years broadcast taught me was that no matter who was involved in a match it was all about the hawkeyes. It was loving brutal).

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

picture this if you will...
How the heck do I sweep from half guard when my opponent is angled across my body such that I cant take their back?
At the moment I just stall until they move off balance enough for me to bridge and roll but I feel like a jerk when I'm just stalling.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

So I'm looking to sign up for a new gym next month which will offer more gi classes from a higher level instructor-since you were all mentioned how gi is superior-. I have never done gi but have been doing the no gi classes for about a month. What type of gi should I get for a beginner? Also is it pretty much unacceptable to get a colored gi if your low level?

widunder
May 2, 2002

shizen posted:

So I'm looking to sign up for a new gym next month which will offer more gi classes from a higher level instructor-since you were all mentioned how gi is superior-. I have never done gi but have been doing the no gi classes for about a month. What type of gi should I get for a beginner? Also is it pretty much unacceptable to get a colored gi if your low level?
No, that's fine. Only blue, white or black are elligble for competition so get one of those. I like Korals.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

Rids! posted:

How the heck do I sweep from half guard when my opponent is angled across my body such that I cant take their back?
At the moment I just stall until they move off balance enough for me to bridge and roll but I feel like a jerk when I'm just stalling.
Stalling isn't stalling while you're on the bottom. It's staying in a defensive position until you have a chance to advance. They're on top holding you down, it's their job to move and attempt to advance. Yes, there are things you can do, but fundamentally if all they are going to do is stay there and hold you down, there isn't a LOT you can do about it without working disproportionately hard.

That being said, underhook and get on to your side (facing in to them). The fundamental part of being remotely successful on bottom half guard is getting to your side. On your back, you're going to get flattened and laid on. You need to get to your side to create angles, free your hips, look for sweeps, or heist.

Really, when they are fatty mcfatfat laying on you and not attempting to move at all, you lay there. As soon as they give you an inch of space, start to fight for your underhook. When you finally establish an underhook you should pretty much always be able to get to your side.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

nemoulette posted:

No, that's fine. Only blue, white or black are elligble for competition so get one of those. I like Korals.

Ah thats good because I wanted to get a blue gi, but didn't want to seem like a douche if only higher level guys were allowed to wear colored gi.

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP

shizen posted:

It depends where you are. Some places care, some don't.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

shizen posted:

Ah thats good because I wanted to get a blue gi, but didn't want to seem like a douche if only higher level guys were allowed to wear colored gi.

I think gracie varra are like the only guys who make beinners wear white. I will second the koral reccomendation as well, I just got my first(also have a gamenes, which is great, and a fuji). I love it!

also, make sure ur new gym is oriented to sport style bjj, can't stress that enough!

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

So I finally shrunk my new Atama double weave down to size for Judo class, I love it! It's so hard to grab, I hope it stays like this for a long time.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

imtheism posted:

Stalling isn't stalling while you're on the bottom. It's staying in a defensive position until you have a chance to advance. They're on top holding you down, it's their job to move and attempt to advance. Yes, there are things you can do, but fundamentally if all they are going to do is stay there and hold you down, there isn't a LOT you can do about it without working disproportionately hard.

That being said, underhook and get on to your side (facing in to them). The fundamental part of being remotely successful on bottom half guard is getting to your side. On your back, you're going to get flattened and laid on. You need to get to your side to create angles, free your hips, look for sweeps, or heist.

Really, when they are fatty mcfatfat laying on you and not attempting to move at all, you lay there. As soon as they give you an inch of space, start to fight for your underhook. When you finally establish an underhook you should pretty much always be able to get to your side.

I disagree. You are on the bottom and therefore losing. If you don't escape you will lose. It is your prerogative to do something. Its common if someone is ahead in points to stall on the top.

Mind you getting the underhook and the other advice is solid.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
So does anyone have any reccomendation on headgear? I have'nt gotten cauliflower ear per se. There's no fluid build up. But the cartlidge does seem to have gradually gotten thicker over the last 2 years...

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 13, 2011

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Cliff Keen F5 Tornado are the earguards I use. I previously used Asics but I prefer the Cliff Keens.

http://www.cliffkeen.com/product/F5-Tornadotrade-Headgear,86,6.htm

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

westcoaster posted:

I disagree. You are on the bottom and therefore losing. If you don't escape you will lose. It is your prerogative to do something. Its common if someone is ahead in points to stall on the top.

Mind you getting the underhook and the other advice is solid.

In competition, I agree with you - it is in your best interest to try and get something going. That being said, you will never get called for stalling on the bottom. You will only ever get called for stalling on top. If you're on bottom, you should be playing defense to get to a better position. Sometimes that defense is just hanging out and preventing them from getting anything going until you manage to wiggle into that right position to move.

In the gym, when you're just rolling around with your friends working on technique, totally disagree. There is no time limits, no points, and you're just looking to improve upon techniques. At that point, why not work on your bottom defense game? Also, it will make your partner better at his top game - especially if you're just managing to beat him with things like a bridge or heist. It's not like you're going to lose on points.

imtheism fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 13, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
not me brah I treat every match like the finals of the mundials and I have never, ever lost or tapped to anyone. Ever. The keys to jiu-jitsu are, in order:

bench pressing.

Tattoos.

Stylishness of your gi.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

not me brah I treat every match like the finals of the mundials and I have never, ever lost or tapped to anyone. Ever. The keys to jiu-jitsu are, in order:

bench pressing.

Tattoos.

Stylishness of your gi.

TapouT shirts, you forgot to include the sweetness of your TapouT shirts. I'd put that at #3 at worst.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Xguard86 posted:

bench pressing.

Tattoos.

Stylishness of your gi.

Also talking about how you should be a black belt under x instructor, but you left his school cause hes like totally a stingy dick.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

MycroftXXX posted:

Also talking about how you should be a black belt under x instructor, but you left his school cause hes like totally a stingy dick.

I know right, total dumbass. A true bjj warrior shops around for belt promotions. I mean, its all on youtube anyway, who cares.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker

dokomoy posted:

I remember last year someone did a pretty sweet write up for the NCAA wrestling tournament, this years one is coming up next weekend, and if someone wants to write something that would be great(the only thing last years broadcast taught me was that no matter who was involved in a match it was all about the hawkeyes. It was loving brutal).

I'll get on it today and post it tomorrow.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mardragon posted:

I'll get on it today and post it tomorrow.

Sweet, I'm traveling for work this week so was going to write something up tommorow while bored and drinking in my hotel room, but I'd be glad to see someone else's take instead.

I'm morally opposed to Iowa or Penn State winning, so I'll be a huge Cornell and Okie State fan this weekend.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Yam Slacker

Thoguh posted:

Sweet, I'm traveling for work this week so was going to write something up tommorow while bored and drinking in my hotel room, but I'd be glad to see someone else's take instead.

I'm morally opposed to Iowa or Penn State winning, so I'll be a huge Cornell and Okie State fan this weekend.

I'm torn because I hate all 4 teams, Penn State the least. I don't think there are three teams I hate more than Iowa, Cornell, and Ok State.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mardragon posted:

I'm torn because I hate all 4 teams, Penn State the least. I don't think there are three teams I hate more than Iowa, Cornell, and Ok State.

I understand the other three, but what did Cornell ever do?

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Yam Slacker

Thoguh posted:

I understand the other three, but what did Cornell ever do?

Was Lehigh's rival in wrestling.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Yam Slacker
March Madness is this week, no not that silly semi-pro tournament with a ball and a basket, but a real man's sport. A sport where scantly clad men/boys grab and hug on each other, rest assured you will need to watch this with your windows closed lest someone call the police. Kidding aside, the NCAA tournament is the premier tournament for American folkstyle wrestling. It is highly attended and watched and the pinnacle of amateur athletics (in my completely unbiased opinions). As it pertains to this thread watch every drat minute of this that you can. All of the rounds are on ESPN networks on one channel or another. If you have any questions let me know, but if you aren't sharp at takedowns, or you want to see wrestling at a very high level, you WILL learn something by watching. You WILL get better by emulating the wrestlers you see (except Anthony Robles). You will feel a very real connection to the men wrestling even though you've never met them.

First a bit of history. http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/wrestling_champs_records/2010-11/2010-11_d1wr.pdf This is the results from last year as well as the all time records. It includes some quick history notes which I've copied here:

1928 The first NCAA Wrestling Tournament was held in Ames, Iowa. No official team scoring was kept but Oklahoma State crowned four individual champions and was later declared the unofficial team champion.

1930 Oklahoma State’s Earl McCready became the NCAA’s first-ever three-time national champion, winning the heavyweight class in 1928, 1929 and 1930.

1932 Indiana’s Edwin Belshow became the first athlete recognized as the Most Outstanding Wrestler at the NCAA Championships. Belshow claimed the 1932 individual national title at 134 pounds.

1934 Team scoring officially becomes a permanent feature of the NCAA Wrestling Championships. Lead by head coach E.C. Gallagher Oklahoma State claims the team title with 29 points, outdistancing runner-up Indiana who finished with 19 points.

1936 Oklahoma becomes the first program outside of Oklahoma State to win an official NCAA team title. The Sooners tallied 14 points to stay ahead of Central Oklahoma who finished with 10 points.

1941 The NCAA Wrestling Committee introduced a point system to determine the winner of bouts. Takedowns and reversals were worth two points and an escape one point. Near falls were worth four points. In addition, time advantage points were awarded and penalties
were given for stalling.

1943-45 The NCAA Wrestling Championships were not held due to the United States’ involvement in World War II.

1947 Cornell College scored 32 points to become the first and only private school to win an NCAA team title in wrestling.

1948 William Koll of UNI becomes the first to win back-to-back Division I Most Outstanding Wrestler Awards.

1950 Behind individual national titles by Bill Nelson, Bill Smith and Keith Young, the University of Northern Iowa scored 30 points to win the school’s first and only NCAA wrestling title to date.

1952 Oklahoma nipped Northern Iowa 22-21 to win their second straight NCAA Wrestling Championship.

1953 In front of a home crowd in University Park, Penn., Penn State captured the NCAA team title, scoring 21 points to derail Oklahoma’s hope for a three-peat.

1955 Team scoring was adjusted to award 7, 5, 3 and 1 point, respectively, for first, second, third and fourth-place finishes. In addition an advancement point was awarded for championship and consolation bouts.

1957 Oklahoma’s Dan Hodge completed his career as a three-time NCAA champion at 177 pounds. Only he and Earl McCready of Oklahoma State have ever been credited with falls in each of their national championship bouts.

1961 The NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships were held on the West Coast for the first time as Oregon State played host in Corvallis.

1963 For the first time, the NCAA split its wrestling tournament into two divisions – the College Division and the University Division. The College Division was held one week prior to the University Division and schools were allowed to enter both tournaments. Western State won the inaugural College Division and Oklahoma took home top honors in the University Division.

1968 Oklahoma State tallied 81 points to outdistance runner-up Iowa State’s 78 points as the Cowboys won their seventh NCAA title in 13 years under the direction of head coach Myron Roderick.

1973 Iowa State claimed its fourth NCAA title in five years, and the program’s fifth overall, behind individual titles by heavyweight Chris Taylor and 177-pounder Rich Binek.

1975 Iowa claimed its first NCAA Championship toppling defending champions Oklahoma, 102-75. The team title would prove to be the Hawkeye’s first of 20 over the next 26 years.

1978 Montclair State’s Ken Mallory became the first Division III wrestler to win a Division I title by downing Oklahoma’s Fank DeAngelis, 10-7, in the 134- pound weight class.

1980 Unseeded Matt Reiss of North Carolina state completed an improbable journey to the NCAA title at 167 pounds, defeating Iowa State’s Perry Hummel, 4-2, to become the Wolfpack’s first national title winner.

1983 Fraternal twin brothers Ed and Lou Banach of the University of Iowa both claimed individual national titles at the NCAA Wrestling Championships as Lou took home the heavyweight title and Ed claimed top honors at 190 pounds.

1986 Iowa won a record ninth-straight NCAA Championship, amassing a then-record 158 team points behind five individual national champions.

1988 Coached by Bobby Douglas, Arizona State scored 93 points to become just the third program outside the states of Iowa or Oklahoma to win an official NCAA wrestling championship.

1990 Twin brothers Terry and Tom Brand both stood atop the awards stand at the 1990 NCAA Championships as Terry defeated Jason Kelber of Nebraska, 3-2 , to win the 126-pound title and Tom upended Minnesota’s Dave Zuniga, 9-7, to take home top honors at 134 pounds.

1994 Oklahoma State’s Pat Smith became the NCAA’s first four-time NCAA champion with a 5-3 victory over Michigan’s Sean Bormet at 150 pounds. Smith’s other titles in 1990, 1991, and 1992 also came at 150 pounds.

1997 Iowa established a new NCAA team scoring record, dominating runner-up Oklahoma State 170-113.5 to claim the 1997 team title. The Hawkeyes tallied the impressive total behind five individual titles from Jesse Whitmer, Mark Ironside, Lincoln McIlravy, Joe Williams and Lee Fullhart.

1999 Central Michigan’s Casey Cunningham became the Chippewa’s first NCAA title winner, edging Penn State’s Clint Musser, 2-1, in the 157-pound final.

2000 With Pennsylvania’s Brett Matter winning the 157-pound title he, along with his father Andy Matter, became the fifth father-son combo to win individual titles at the NCAA Wrestling Championships. Andy took home top honors at 167 pounds for Penn State in 1971 and 1972.

2002 Iowa State’s Cael Sanderson cemented his position as the greatest wrestler in NCAA history, finishing his collegiate career with a fourth-straight NCAA title and a perfect 159-0 record. He is also the only wrestler in history to win four straight NCAA Outstanding Wrestler Awards.

2005 Fifth-seeded Joe Dubuque of Indiana completed a string of upsets, finally defeating Illinois’ Kyle Ott, 2-0, to claim the 125-pound title. During his tournament run, Dubuque upended the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 4 seeds.

2007 A record crowd of 17,780 was on hand for the finals of the 2007 Division I Wrestling Championships in Auburn Hills, Mich. Coached by J Robinson, Minnesota records the first point total under 100 to win the Division I Wrestling Championship since 1994.

2008 The second largest Division I Wrestling attendance is announced at the championships in St. Louis, Missouri as over 94,000 packed the arena. Brent Metcalf of Iowa wins the Division I Most Outstanding Wrestler Award, Iowa’s first in 10 years.

2009 Iowa wins back-to-back Division I Wrestling championships for the first time since 1999- 2000

If you win the NCAA tournament, you are a legend. They crown 10 champions a year, one from each weight class (125, 133, 141, 149, 157, 165, 174, 184, 197, 285). Traditionally seeing the #1 and #2 seed face each other is the exception, not the rule. The tournament is a three day grind, and champions are forged by battling their way through competition each and every step of the way. So many times in the past wrestlers have failed to win the crown because they didn't have the mental and physical fortitude to withstand the rigors of the tournament, they may have been the best wrestler for one match, but you have to be the best wrestler for consecutive matches.

The team title breaks down like so, basically if you aren't a school from the state of Iowa or Oklahoma your chance of winning the championship drops dramatically. All time team championships:
Oklahoma St. 34
Iowa 23
Iowa St. 8
Oklahoma 7
Minnesota 3
Arizona St., Cornell College, Indiana, Michigan St., UNI, Penn St., 1 each.

Iowa has won the last 3 team titles, running away with it last year by 44 1/2 points. They are probably favored to win again this week, even though they had a pretty bad Big 10 Championships where they actually took second to Penn State.

INDIVIDUAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
Oklahoma St. 133, Iowa 76, Iowa St. 68, Oklahoma 65, Lehigh 26, Michigan St. 25, UNI 21, Penn St. 21, Illinois 20, Michigan 20, Minnesota 20, Wisconsin 18, Pittsburgh 16, Ohio St. 14, Oregon St. 12, Cornell 11, Indiana 11, Nebraska 10, Cal St. Bakersfield 9, Lock Haven 9, Northwestern 9, Arizona St. 8, Clarion 8, Syracuse 7, Cornell College 6, North Carolina 5, North Carolina St. 5, Penn 5, West Virginia 5, Bloomsburg 4, Edinboro 4, Fresno St. 4, Missouri 4, Ohio 4, Purdue 4, Clemson 3, Colorado 3, Harvard 3, Navy 3, Pitt.-Johnstown 3, Waynesburg 3, Army 2, Boise St. 2, Cal Poly 2, Central Okla. 2, East Stroudsburg 2, Maryland 2, Northern Colo. 2, Oregon 2, Portland St. 2, Southern Ill.
2, Southwestern Okla. 2, Stanford 2, Temple 2, Toledo 2, Washington 2, Yale 2, Adams St., Air Force, American, Auburn, California, UC Davis, Central Mich., Colorado St., Concordia-M’head, Hofstra, Indiana St., Kansas St., Montclair St., TCNJ, Northern Ill., Princeton, Slippery
Rock, Tennessee, UCLA, Western Ill., Western Mich., Wyoming, 1 each.

More to come on the team titles and individual weight class write-ups.

Mardragon fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 14, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mardragon posted:

INDIVIDUAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
Oklahoma St. 133, Iowa 76, Iowa St. 68, Oklahoma 65, Lehigh 26, Michigan St. 25, UNI 21, Penn St. 21, Illinois 20, Michigan 20, Minnesota 20, Wisconsin 18, Pittsburgh 16, Ohio St. 14, Oregon St. 12, Cornell 11, Indiana 11, Nebraska 10, Cal St. Bakersfield 9, Lock Haven 9, Northwestern 9, Arizona St. 8, Clarion 8, Syracuse 7, Cornell College 6, North Carolina 5, North Carolina St. 5, Penn 5, West Virginia 5, Bloomsburg 4, Edinboro 4, Fresno St. 4, Missouri 4, Ohio 4, Purdue 4, Clemson 3, Colorado 3, Harvard 3, Navy 3, Pitt.-Johnstown 3, Waynesburg 3, Army 2, Boise St. 2, Cal Poly 2, Central Okla. 2, East Stroudsburg 2, Maryland 2, Northern Colo. 2, Oregon 2, Portland St. 2, Southern Ill.
2, Southwestern Okla. 2, Stanford 2, Temple 2, Toledo 2, Washington 2, Yale 2, Adams St., Air Force, American, Auburn, California, UC Davis, Central Mich., Colorado St., Concordia-M’head, Hofstra, Indiana St., Kansas St., Montclair St., TCNJ, Northern Ill., Princeton, Slippery
Rock, Tennessee, UCLA, Western Ill., Western Mich., Wyoming, 1 each.

It's saddening to look at that list and realize that a large portion of those schools no longer have wrestling programs.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Yam Slacker

Thoguh posted:

It's saddening to look at that list and realize that a large portion of those schools no longer have wrestling programs.

Hmm, Cal State Bakersfield, UC Davis, Colorado State, UCLA, and Tennessee? I didn't look in detail but those are the only ones that standout to me.

Real quick let me run down the rules: Folkstyle wrestling is made up of 3 periods, the first period is 3 minutes long and the 2nd and 3rd are 2 min long. The match starts in the neutral position with both wrestlers standing, from there a takedown (taking your opponent to the ground and demonstrating control) is worth 2 points. Once one wrestler has a takedown he can score points for turning the other wrestler's shoulder blade beyond 90 degrees and holding it, holding it for 3 seconds will award the controlling wrestler 2 points, holding it for 5 seconds will give an additional point. If at any point in the match both shoulder blades touch the mat at the same time it is a pin and the match is over. The person who is in the bottom position (the one who was taken down) can score either by escaping and facing his opponent for 1 point, or reversing his position and taking control for 2 points. The second and third periods can start in several positions based on what the wrestlers select.

The difference between high-school and college comes in the form of the additional minute of time in the first period, and riding time. Riding time is when a wrestler controls the top position for over a minute, in which case he is given a point for the first minute of riding time. If the score at the end of three periods is tied then there is a one minute sudden death victory period. Followed by alternating 30 second periods of both wrestlers starting from bottom position.

There is no locking hands around the waist of an opponent from the top position, full nelsons are illegal and full body suplex and throws are also illegal. There are some other intricacies and if you wonder what is going on just ask and I'll try to answer.

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

picture this if you will...
So does folkstyle wrestling really have even more rules than judo?

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Thoguh posted:

TapouT shirts, you forgot to include the sweetness of your TapouT shirts. I'd put that at #3 at worst.

TapouT rash guards brah.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Rids! posted:

So does folkstyle wrestling really have even more rules than judo?

http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-3953-2010-2011-ncaa-wrestling-rules-book-2-year-publication-due-september-2009.aspx

162 pages

NCAA Wrestling Rulebook posted:

3.15.2 Badgering—Coach or Team Member. Badgering the referee by the coaching staff or any member of the team shall not be permitted. Failure to comply shall be considered questioning the referee’s judgment and shall be penalized according to Rule 3.13.4.
The best rule:

NCAA Wrestling Rulebook posted:

A neatly trimmed mustache that does not extend below the line of the lower lip is permissible. (See Rule 7.4.1.2.)

Freestyle wrestling is the worst though.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 14, 2011

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Yam Slacker
The team title is oftentimes the most boring part of the NCAA tournament, pretty often it is a runaway but every now and then it is mostly just a blowout. However, that being said, the team title is wide open this year for once there are quite a few contenders. History has proven that the team title is usually won in the consolation bracket, from the guys not in the championship round who scrap and work through the elimination bracket to all American status. Iowa is famous for having unseeded guys becoming all Americans and boosting the team score. This year it looks like there's a very strong possibility that we'll see the championship decided in the losers bracket as no team has a preponderance of high seeded wrestlers. Teams in real contention for the team title (number of wrestlers in the tournament):

1) Iowa (9)- Coached by one of the all time best NCAA wrestlers Terry Brands was a 2 time champion who won a bronze medal in the 2000 Olympics as well as 2 world freestyle titles. He is intense, really intense, and he comes off as a huge jerk to everyone who isn't rooting for Iowa. One mark against him is his decimation of the Virgina Tech program that he torpedoed by suddenly leaving and taking all his recruits 5 years ago. His team has won the last three titles and could very well do the same this year. This years team is young, missing the veteran presence that helped the team the last couple of years they have an assortment of mid-seeded wrestlers and one #2 seed. They need very strong performances from all of their guys as they will not have the top heavy dominance they normally exhibit (they put 5 in the finals last year). Never count Iowa out, they are legendary tournament wrestlers.

2) Penn State (8) - Coached by the greatest college wrestler of all time Cael Sanderson, undefeated in college and a 4 time champion as well as Olympic gold medalist. Sanderson is the current hero of Penn State/Villian of Iowa State. Having left his alma-mater high and dry 2 years ago, a sting that any Iowa State fan will tell you will likely never go away. Penn State brings two #2 seeds, two #3 seeds, and 4 other mid-seeded wrestlers. They won their last and only team title back in 1953.

3) Oklahoma State (10) - Coached by 2 time Olympic and 4 time World Champion gold medalist John Smith. Smith has coached Ok. State to 5 team titles. They boast a #1 seed, a #2 seed and a host of mid-seeded guys. In the first half of the last decade they were dominant, and they are looking to get back to those dominant ways.

4) Cornell (9) - Coached by Rob Koll who was a one-time NCAA champion. He has led his team to four top-five finishes including 2nd place last year. His coaching along with tremendous alumni support and money as well as a state of the art wrestling facility have made Cornell a wrestling powerhouse in the East. The team brings last years champions Kyle Dake (seeded 4th) and NCAA runner up Mack Lewnes (seeded 3rd) as well as a #1 seed and another #3 seed and several mid seeded all americans. This could be the year those unsurrerable Ivy league scumbags make history...

5) Boise State (10) - Coached by 3 time all-American Greg Randall, Boise is an up and coming program that has performed well in the past couple NCAA tournaments, they boast a #1 seed, a #2 seed and several mid seeded wrestlers.

Other contenders :
Lehigh (8) - The best and most honorable school in the tournament they have a #1 and a #2 seed
Michigan (8) - A number 1 seed and several other young guys
Minnesota (9) - A couple of high seeds but you can never count out J Robinson's team
Virginia Tech (7) - Only seven wrestlers but they are a very good team having recovered from the destruction by Brands departure.
Wisconsin (7) - NCAA champion and several high seeds, maybe coach Barry Davis (hilarious to watch, seriously the guy is a total spaz and an amazing coach) can finally get over the hump

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
only three hodge trophys? sanderson is a chump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king
I train with a dude named Trevor Smith, who went to Iowa State, and was a training partner of Cael Sanderson. He's a super nice guy, strong as a gorilla, weighs 225 of pure muscle and has hips like a 145 lber, hits moves that don't even exist, and is absolutely impossible to get off the bottom on.

I'm a pretty rugged 200lber, and hold my own against the super heavyweights no problem. When he lays on me and grabs me, I break in to little tiny pieces.

Good training partner!