Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!
That was one of the causes of the BSE epidemic in British cattle. Feeding ground up spinal column and various recovered bits to other cows as feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Feeding animals their own kind is a big no-no, but it probably happens just about everywhere.

It increases the chance of spreading a disease around, because if the pig being eaten had it, the pig eating it is going to be susceptible to it too. This is precisely why they didn't want anyone taking pictures of it.. it'd get them in quite a bit of trouble.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Domalom posted:

That was one of the causes of the BSE epidemic in British cattle. Feeding ground up spinal column and various recovered bits to other cows as feed.

It was also at the root of the whole mad cow disease thing, wasn't it?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

HPL posted:

It was also at the root of the whole mad cow disease thing, wasn't it?
BSE is short for bovine spongiform encephalopathy, which is mad cow disease.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

GWBBQ posted:

BSE is short for bovine spongiform encephalopathy, which is mad cow disease.

Oh yeah, duh.

I light fires
May 12, 2001

HPL posted:

Oh yeah, duh.

But yes, eating brain and spinal fluid from infected cows that were used as high protein animal feed was one of the ways it spread. So mad pig disease anyone?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Serial killer in Vancouver disposed of bodies by feeding them to his pigs, just saying.

On a much lighter note, very cool behind the scenes video of transworld snowboarding cover shot: http://vimeo.com/20546019

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

Does anyone know the photographer who did a typology of lots of different types of people? A sort of dictionary of style.
They were loads of pictures, shot on a white background I think and the people were divided into cliques like punks and skaters.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
SOYLENT PORK IS PORCINE! SOYLENT PORK IS PORCINE! SOYLENT PORK IS PORCINE!

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

m4mbo posted:

Does anyone know the photographer who did a typology of lots of different types of people? A sort of dictionary of style.
They were loads of pictures, shot on a white background I think and the people were divided into cliques like punks and skaters.

Don't know about a modern take on it, but Auguste Sander did this for the German people during the first half of the 20th century. Very important historical document and important inspiration for the Becher couple.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
This guy. This is the guy

surgical scar
Nov 8, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If only he had a hybrid viewfinder...

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Haha I do that poo poo all the time (put the camera to my eye with a lens cap on). How do those Leica work? Is it a window or a prism? Why was he adjusting focus?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
EDIT:^^^ The rangefinder is coupled through the viewfinder by a connecting arm that rides on the back of the lens. You can still focus with the lens cap on. Not sure how he was managing to go that long without noticing the meter was giving a zero reading...

That's it, he's out of the club. :colbert:

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

McMadCow posted:

Not sure how he was managing to go that long without noticing the meter was giving a zero reading...

I think he noticed it, he was moving the camera away from his face and looking confused a lot. Kind of funny he was carrying his SLR with no lens cap, too.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I'm shooting a bunch of games for a couple newspapers at the Virginia high school basketball tournament. This guy's on the baseline shooting right now. PROFESSIONALISM!

tuxedoT by RMK86, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
You shouldn't have posted that. He's probably a Goon! :v:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Dude does look pretty goony.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I don't understand those colored bracelets. Not that it's the most unexplainable part of that picture.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ease posted:

I don't understand those colored bracelets. Not that it's the most unexplainable part of that picture.

He is expressing solidarity with something, somehow.

surgical scar
Nov 8, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
uhhh that three tone bracelet is actually a medical bracelet for narcolepsy.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

surgical scar posted:

uhhh that three tone bracelet is actually a medical bracelet for narcolepsy.

If that's true, then I can't imagine a profession where you routinely carry around thousands of dollars worth of fragile equipment is a good choice.

Sound Insect
May 27, 2010

Did someone do something with the K-Rock tag? It's going so fast suddenly hahahaha holy god this is amazing. I don't know what's happening.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Ballistic Photon posted:

Did someone do something with the K-Rock tag? It's going so fast suddenly hahahaha holy god this is amazing. I don't know what's happening.

I don't see it.

Maybe your computer went into OMG TURBO MODE

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Ballistic Photon posted:

I'm guessing you're using Chrome? If so, version 10, which was just recently pushed out, made a change to the way gifs are rendered, decreasing the minimum frame delay. More here (YOSPOS link)

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

Fragrag posted:

Don't know about a modern take on it, but Auguste Sander did this for the German people during the first half of the 20th century. Very important historical document and important inspiration for the Becher couple.

Found it, its called Exactitudes by Ari Versluis.

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela

m4mbo posted:

I think its Ellie Uyttenbroek with her Exactitudes project you are looking for. I was almost part of that series, I couldn't make the shoot that day.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I've been refiling my photo archive and just celebrating getting my 'New Photos' folder down to less than 8,000 images.

Next I'll sort my sock drawer.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Got a test copy of the lens baby composer to play with and review, anything cool I should try doing with it? So far it just seems like a toy...

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
You could try shooting an entire wedding with it :

http://kerrygarrison.com/2010/05/25/lensbaby-wedding-project/

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Oh god, I think whoever I was shooting for would shoot me in the face (with a gun, not a camera). I guess I'm going into this really biased, because I've always viewed it as a gimmick. Maybe I'll try some street photography?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I haven't seen a single Lensbaby photo where I said to myself "wow, that really adds to the photo". They all end up looking like a lame photoshop effect.

Just my two cents, though.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Martytoof posted:

I haven't seen a single Lensbaby photo where I said to myself "wow, that really adds to the photo". They all end up looking like a lame photoshop effect.

Amusingly enough, that Lensbaby effect looks pretty similar to the test roll I got back from my "new" Argus A. Early 1940s lens, center is vaguely sharp and everything else gets really blurry from spherical aberration. A lot of shots turned out lame because of it, but a few seemed to have some potential.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Speaking of capturing moments, someone from Pet Island is streaming her kitty in labor :3:

Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3396715

Ustream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sarabi-kitten-cam

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Dr. Cogwerks, that's basically the impression I get from it. It's a way for people who own dslrs who don't want to deal with film to get lo-fi quality. As someone who does shoot film now, it seems redundant and a little silly to do thing like make my 5dmkii look like a pinhole camera or holga or whatever.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Martytoof posted:

I feel the same. It is a waste of money imo.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

nonanone posted:

Dr. Cogwerks, that's basically the impression I get from it. It's a way for people who own dslrs who don't want to deal with film to get lo-fi quality. As someone who does shoot film now, it seems redundant and a little silly to do thing like make my 5dmkii look like a pinhole camera or holga or whatever.

If you plan for the effect when shooting, it could be useful in a pictorialist sort of way. Sounds like a lensbaby offers more control over the aberration than a regular ol' meniscus lens would.

I'd call it a dumb gimmick if it's just being done for "omg holga ++++" flickr comments - but if that effect actually works for the intent of the shot, cool. Experimenting with your imagemaking process can be pretty worthwhile too.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I built my own out of an old Nikkor wideangle (an old 35mm lens gives you plenty of room for movement on a 1.5x crop, better off using a medium format lens if you're on full frame), it's a lot of fun but you can definitely overdo it. You can build your own for less than the cost of the Lensbaby, and it'll have better optics.

Parking Lot by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Benz by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

[Fake] Chucks by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Sentry by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Maybe not so photography related but I just have to share this:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080531184239AAmmRxf

OVER 1500 PIXALS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Did he make up those numbers? His pixel ratios aren't even close to the print ratios.

8/11=.73
1280/1500=.85 (8"x9.375" @ 160)

4/6=.66
675/850=.79 (4"x5" @ 169)