Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I don't get the love for ichor wellspring. Yea its a cool concept, but you either need to have a profitable bounce or sac outlet to make it good, which basically makes it red and white. Poison has no use for it (except for a throne of geth), neither does blue or black except as a cheap metalcraft enabler or if you're lucky enough to have a Tezzerett to animate it.

I guess its good, but would anyone here take it first pick over a phryexian vatmother, or a thopter assembly - a creature which if you can untap it with, gives you 5 evasive bodies on the board with the option to play your 5/5 flyer again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
The thing about the wellspring is that it is such a perfect fit for this limited block. It has interactions with so many cards. If you look at it in a vacuum, yeah it's pretty bad. It cycles for 2, and maybe gets you a draw if it somehow dies. But with the amount of ways to kill it for benefit, it's absolutely amazing.

That said, I wouldn't pick it over bombs like Vatmother or Thopter Assembly. Those are both immediate threats that need to be dealt with, forcing your opponent to make certain plays or lose. But I'm also not a magic pro, so he probably knows something I don't.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ultima66 posted:

EDIT: Not saying I agree with him, but this is what Chapin thinks of the card. He made a bet with a bunch of other pros that within a month, they'd all agree with him that Wellspring went from their opinion of a 5-7th pick card to a 1-3 pick card, and he said that by the end of the day all of them agreed it was a 1-3 pick card already.

Wasn't LSV trying to do the same thing with Razor Boomerang?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
e:^^ wellspring isn't the MOST AMAZING CARD but it's a very playable card in a lot of decks. In comparison, Razor boomerang was never playable for about half a dozen reasons, the major ones being mana cost and the fact that 1 toughness doesn't exist in Zendikar block, where everything is a 2/2 for 2, unless it's a 2/2 for 1.

I come from the day where you would play any cantrip in IPA because it cantripped, so the notion a 2 colorless mana cantrip is playable already, and the fact that there are so many sacrifice outlets where ichor wellspring becomes gas makes it very playable.

We had a draft where a guy picked up 3 wellsprings and 4 of that 4/1 that sacs an artifact to regenerate and his deck was sickhouse. Only through careful play and good luck did I beat that horseshit card advantage machine.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

e:^^ wellspring isn't the MOST AMAZING CARD but it's a very playable card in a lot of decks. In comparison, Razor boomerang was never playable for about half a dozen reasons, the major ones being mana cost and the fact that 1 toughness doesn't exist in Zendikar block, where everything is a 2/2 for 2, unless it's a 2/2 for 1.

Er, the reason people had any hopes for Boomerang was that 2/1 was so prevalent in zzw.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Ichor Wellspring as a pack one card goes for players that

Want to beat you with metalcraft (red, white, some blue)
Want to beat you with poison (black, green, some blue)

seems like most of the format, yes?

Think about just the pack 2 uncommons, you picked up a few infect dudes and you see Throne of Geth, you slam throne of geth. You picked up the decent red cards and you see Barrage ogre, you slam barrage ogre. You picked decent white cards and you see Glimmerpoint Stag or Razor Hippogriff, you slam them. Save for the crazy rares, your first two or three picks in the second pack (that you have cut from pack 1) can be very, very strong for you.

In a pack of Ichor Wellspring + cards that sets down stream into a color = you know what power cards are open for pack 2.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
The basic idea is that instead of running 2x loxodon wayfarer as deck filler you are running ichor wellsprings that have the potential to draw you two much better cards than the one loxodon wayfarer that would have been in the deck, while also maybe shuffling your piston sledge over to something much better.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

LCQC posted:

Er, the reason people had any hopes for Boomerang was that 2/1 was so prevalent in zzw.

yeah I had a brain fart. I recalled it being a bears on bears format, but there are 7 common 1 toughness dudes in Zendikar and I didn't bother checking worldwake.

Still 5 mana and tapping a dude is a horrific cost for 1 telegraphed damage.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

yeah I had a brain fart. I recalled it being a bears on bears format, but there are 7 common 1 toughness dudes in Zendikar and I didn't bother checking worldwake.

Still 5 mana and tapping a dude is a horrific cost for 1 telegraphed damage.

Oh yeah, its a card i actively dislike. It really could have been more aggressively costed considering Sparkmage was in the set at uncommon as well.

Cazador
Jun 5, 2001
Inspired by the Momir tournament, and because this thread need some new life, I present you:

Goon League Season 1: Budget Edition

The rules in a nutshell:

I’ll generate a initial 5 booster pool for each participant, which must be used to build your standard minimum 40 cards deck, with up to the entire pool as the sideboard. Once you are ready, you have a week to challenge 5 different people from the league to a 2 of 3 match. For each round of the match won you get one point (so if you lose 1-2 you still get one point). At the end of the week a new booster is added to the existing cards pools, and a new round of challenges begin. This go on for 4 rounds, and at the end the players with the most points are declared the winners.

Since the primary reason of this is for fun and practice (and because I don't want to have to track decks on top of pools) you are free to change your deck as much as you want between matches.

Budget Edition:

In order to get as many people as possible interested in this first season, there will be a small twist: there will be no mythics in the pools, just rares. That way even new people to MODO can get in the action with a minimum cost. If there is a second season we could always change the rules.

Prizes:

To get things going, I’ll donate the following prizes:

1st place: 1 SOM block draft set
2nd place: 1 SOM booster and 1 MBS booster

And a special gateway prize of 1 MBS booster to a random player that didn’t win but remained active during the whole season.

Any donations to the prize pool will be welcome, or if the majority agree we could do a small 1 or 2 tickets entry fee that would go directly to the prize pool.

Any suggestions for the rules are welcome, and lets see how many people are interested!.

Cazador fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 11, 2011

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Is this going to be from SOM or across all sets? Also, if it's going to be like sealed, might as well do 6 packs.

How are you going to generate the packs? If it's rares, some of them arent that budget. Stoneforge mystics are at like $15, fetch lands, black suns zenith etc.

Otherwise, consider me interested.

jialiangzhong
Jan 29, 2006
smile
This sounds fun! I want in!

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Think this is something I'd be into if I can scrape up the extra cash. Totally needs its own thread, though.

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja
I'm interested! Is there an entry fee?

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
Sounds awesome; I'm in!

Cazador
Jun 5, 2001

The Nastier Nate posted:

Is this going to be from SOM or across all sets?

For now it is going to be SOM only, because, as you say, rares from older sets can get pretty expensive, and I'll prefer this one to be as accessible as possible to all players.

The Nastier Nate posted:

Also, if it's going to be like sealed, might as well do 6 packs.

I believe that leagues always started with just 5, mostly because a new booster is added each week and you don't want people ending with way too crazy pools. But I'm open to change it to 6 if most people prefer it that way.

The Nastier Nate posted:

How are you going to generate the packs?

I'm actually still looking into that and I'm open to suggestions about good sealed generators. I originally was thinking of using the one at ccgdecks.com, but after some test runs the randomization seems a bit off (it once gave me 3 Victory's Heralds in a row). Right now I'm testing some stand alone programs.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
That sounds cool, count me in for a couple tix.

Will everyone be able to see everyones pool?

Cazador
Jun 5, 2001

The Nastier Nate posted:

Will everyone be able to see everyones pool?

Yes, unfortunately it has to be that way as to prevent cheating. If you play against someone with a crazy deck you can just go and check that he actually have those cards.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

I'm in for this. So you're using MWS to generate boosters and we have to go buy the cards we don't have?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
So in. Can throw in a SOM and a MBS booster I've got lying around into the pool.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009
Sounds fun.

TheNateLaw posted:

I'm in for this. So you're using MWS to generate boosters and we have to go buy the cards we don't have?

Is it this or just an entry with you handing over the pools?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Sounds like fun.

Meanwhile, I drafted FangrenMarauder.dek tonight and faced three Infect decks. :suicide:

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

I'd definitely be down for the sealed league.

Cazador
Jun 5, 2001

TheNateLaw posted:

Not exactly MWS, but yeah that is the idea. I only give you a list of cards that you must use, you have to get by yourself any cards that you need to build your deck.

FrancisFarterburgr
Feb 16, 2008

"Godspeed you poor sons of bitches."
I'd love to play in the league, although I'm not sure I entirely understand it. Basically you're giving us a list of cards to pick up? Also I've never built a deck on modo before (I only draft and play momir...), so I guess I should start figuring that out.

Worm?
Sep 24, 2004
Has there been any official or unofficial word from WotC on league play returning...ever?

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
I might do it too, it would be fun!

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Worm? posted:

Has there been any official or unofficial word from WotC on league play returning...ever?

Yeah, they say leagues were too resource-intensive. They do want to bring them back, but they need to fix some of the infrastructure so it won't be a problem.

They've been saying this for a long-rear end time now, though, so I dunno.

Cazador
Jun 5, 2001
The list so far:

The Nastier Nate
jialiangzhong
Dross (need confirmation)
iloverice
Imaduck
TheNateLaw
Cynic Jester
LCQC
Pinwiz11
Lord Of Texas
And My Fax!
factorialite

If anyone is missing tell me so. I'm hoping to reach at least 15 before we start.

And My Fax! posted:

I'd love to play in the league, although I'm not sure I entirely understand it. Basically you're giving us a list of cards to pick up? Also I've never built a deck on modo before (I only draft and play momir...), so I guess I should start figuring that out.

Yes, I only give a list of cards. You load it into MODO and build your deck and sideboard with it, just like it was an actual sealed event. After you are done, you need to get yourself any cards that you are missing to actually use the deck. The games will be played as "Freeform" so you can acutally leave up to the entire pool as your sideboard.

I'll post more detailed rules before the league start, probably in it's own thread.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Cazador posted:

Dross (need confirmation)

Yeah I'm in.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I'd like to do this too

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm going to have to pull out. I won't have the time to schedule 5 games a week with my current workload.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

I might do it if I can give you some packs to open on my behalf. If you send me a Tezzeret and a Sword of F&F on a list, I'm not gonna shell out that kinda cash.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Nemico posted:

I might do it if I can give you some packs to open on my behalf. If you send me a Tezzeret and a Sword of F&F on a list, I'm not gonna shell out that kinda cash.

No mythics in the lists.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I'd be OK with a league where we buy real packs (online) and report them to a TO but I realize the point of this is to avoid having to spend a bunch of money.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Oh crap, when were you planning to start this? I'll be on a fishing trip this Thursday and Friday, so if the first game has to be done before then, I probably need to pull out. If we'll have until the end of the weekend for round one, though, I'm definitely in.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

I vote for starting with 6 packs. Having played a lot of 4-pack sealed, those decks tend to be really shaky with little wiggle room and over-reliance on bombs, and that's with 30 card decks. Making 40 card decks with 5 packs seems like it would be a disaster for most, and even with a chance of really good decks towards the end I think it's better to err on the side of "options" and "playability".

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Actually, cancel my interest in this tourney. I'll be too busy with moving :(

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009
I'm still happy to play, but I'm on NZ time so it may be difficult to get in 5 or so games a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cazador
Jun 5, 2001
Well there is no need to be strict about the time, as long as people remain active we can always wait for them. Also I may be reducing the number of required games to 4, since I was originally expecting about 15 or more and currently there are less people than that.

I'll also be implementing a catch up rule like the one at the Coalition League (which rules I'm using as a base for this league) :

At the last days of the week if you have not played all your games you may play players who have already played their five games for the week. You both record you scores as normal the player who has played 5 or more games must put a note on their result page to show it as a "catch up game”. you may still only play a player once for each week even if it’s a catch up game.