Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

So, which boots should I get? My ancient copa mundials are literally falling apart and I've been thinking about upgrading them to one of those new fancydan boots so I can do tricks like Messi. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Just get new Copas. Although the AdiPure IV's are really comfy, I have a pair of last year's model and they just don't seem to last as long.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Played a match in London at the weekend, we lost horribly but it was good fun. It was just a friendly to support the Justin Fashanu Campaign's Football v Homophobia day. It was a full 90 minute 11-a-side match on astro, I played the full thing at centre-back. Being an away match in another country, we didn't exactly have our strongest squad with us. :smith:

I kinda felt like I had a horrible match, especially the first half. We were playing a really high line in the 1st half, the other team killed us on balls over the top, we didn't have the pace to catch them. 2nd half I played much deeper and we did a bit better, although I really didn't have much support back there from the 3 other defenders till one guy switched from left-midfield to left-back (he normally would play LB for us).

Afterward we all went to the pub and got drunk anyway so it was cool. My legs are still a bit sore today though. :(

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Ungratek posted:

I can't stand my team. We lose 5-4 because they just doing what was working: threading me down a channel and then finding the far post run. All of a sudden with 15 minutes left, everyone decides their going to dribble out the back and we just start leaking goals. Not to mention they have no stamina and can't understand how I can play full game. It's indoor, there isn't a great deal of running, especially if you don't just aimlessly drift out of position then have to panic back into a good shape. They're completely tactically naive and have no footballing brain, and most admit it.

So why won't they just follow simple instructions (ie right winger don't track back so we have an out ball). You think that player would relish the no running and constant service...

This sounds like my years with indoor in high school. Our goalie was pretty much the only one who understood tactics/position. I played LB, and never understood why everyone got so tired. But thinking about it, it's what you said. I wasn't in amazing shape, I just didn't run needlessly all over the field or constantly have to hurry back into position, etc.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

People just don't think about positioning, and it happens everywhere on the pitch. You get the ball and everyone on your team starts running forwards. You lose the ball and half of them start running back and the other half are too tired or too lazy and just stand around. When really you should be moving into space when you have the ball, and defending the space when you don't. Top that off with a strict regimen of relentless pressing but no marking discipline to go with it, and your team is easily passed around when defending, while leaving everyone exhausted to boot.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Scikar posted:

People just don't think about positioning, and it happens everywhere on the pitch. You get the ball and everyone on your team starts running forwards. You lose the ball and half of them start running back and the other half are too tired or too lazy and just stand around. When really you should be moving into space when you have the ball, and defending the space when you don't. Top that off with a strict regimen of relentless pressing but no marking discipline to go with it, and your team is easily passed around when defending, while leaving everyone exhausted to boot.

Gonna print out this post for all my teammates next saturday. This is exactly why we suck.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

This is why I love playing wingback in outdoor. Understanding how to hold a line plus when to make a marauding run forward on the break a few times a half is enough to win a game. I usually score at least one goal a game this way. A complete waste for me because I can control the ball well, but it adds the most to the team because it the biggest upgrade versus your average "pub player" in that position

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
My team had a middling week.

Friday Cup Game: Go 1-0 up when the centre forward gets played through with a really nicely weighted ball, two minutes later concede free kick and go to 1-1. Go 2-1 down after a ball over the top gets lobbed over our keeper, but 5 minutes before half time one of the midfield picks up the ball and scores a screamer to make it 2-2.

Come back out for the second half, couple of subs, go 3-2 down. Our keeper makes a wondersave just after to keep the team in it, but with 15 minutes left, they score again to go 4-2 up.

10 minutes left, massive amounts of pressure, header in the box makes it 4-3. Last minute of the game, 10 players up and in their box, 4-4.

Rather than go into extra time, the game goes straight to penalties. Goalie has injured himself so someone has to volunteer, ends up with my team winning 3-2 on penalties, volunteer keeper saved two.

Yesterday League Game: Got trounced 9-2. :(

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

We had a decent game last time out, lost 4-2 to the team which are top of the league and have won every single on of their matches. The fact we kept the ball well helped considerably, and the two goals that made the difference were mostly down to a midfield runner not being tracked and getting on the end of a cross. I'd like to think I helped the possession stats a lot by only misplacing two passes all game, on past experience that means I'll be on the bench this Sunday. :(

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
First injury ever. Landed on my ankle after jumping to block a shot, with a disgusting sound of somrthing snapping :( prolly torn ligamrnent. i got a splint done in the er, prelim xrays showed no fractures fortunately.. its been three days and my foot is getting bigger and bigger :( seeing the doc again tmr, wish me luck! Its not too bad, but i want to be able to walk again!

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Rode my motorcycle to our match last sunday night. Realized id forgotten my bag with all my stuff in it. Thankfully I rode over in my jersey and with my shin guards on... and my motorcycle boots aren't too constrictive and just look like fancy sneakers. So i was allowed to play.

And we demolished the other team. I play in a mixed genders, casual league. We can only have 3 guys on the field, but only if one of them is in goal. We were up 4-0 at the half... so we played the entire second half with a male goalie... and the rest just girls. I saw this as adding insult to injury, but instead we got commended for our sportsmanlike behavior.

It is ridiculous fun to score a goal wearing motorcycle boots.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
So apparently playing soccer with bruised ribs kinda sucks. Thankfully the other team sucked more so I just hung around their end of the pitch and waited for my teammates to feed me the ball.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

BlueBayou posted:

Rode my motorcycle to our match last sunday night. Realized id forgotten my bag with all my stuff in it. Thankfully I rode over in my jersey and with my shin guards on... and my motorcycle boots aren't too constrictive and just look like fancy sneakers. So i was allowed to play.

And we demolished the other team. I play in a mixed genders, casual league. We can only have 3 guys on the field, but only if one of them is in goal. We were up 4-0 at the half... so we played the entire second half with a male goalie... and the rest just girls. I saw this as adding insult to injury, but instead we got commended for our sportsmanlike behavior.

It is ridiculous fun to score a goal wearing motorcycle boots.
Is this 5 a side or something? One of my teams is a coed team traditional 11 a side and we are allowed only 5 of each gender on the field not counting the keeper.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

BlueBayou posted:

So apparently playing soccer with bruised ribs kinda sucks. Thankfully the other team sucked more so I just hung around their end of the pitch and waited for my teammates to feed me the ball.
I have been playing with a high ankle sprain for a few months and recovering from a dislocated elbow a month ago. I won't go up for any 50/50 balls or slide tackle but otherwise it's not so bad...

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

euroboy posted:

So, which boots should I get? My ancient copa mundials are literally falling apart and I've been thinking about upgrading them to one of those new fancydan boots so I can do tricks like Messi. Any suggestions?

Get new Copas. Seriously, the best boot.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

nervana posted:

First injury ever. Landed on my ankle after jumping to block a shot, with a disgusting sound of somrthing snapping :( prolly torn ligamrnent. i got a splint done in the er, prelim xrays showed no fractures fortunately.. its been three days and my foot is getting bigger and bigger :( seeing the doc again tmr, wish me luck! Its not too bad, but i want to be able to walk again!

I feel you buddy. I'm out for the entire year and it sucks balls.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Ewar Woowar posted:

Get new Copas. Seriously, the best boot.
Wrong, the best boot is the adiPure III TRX

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

calcio posted:

Wrong, the best boot is the adiPure III TRX

Yeah they are pretty nice. I was actually considering buying a pair for this season but my leg exploded.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Ewar Woowar posted:

Yeah they are pretty nice. I was actually considering buying a pair for this season but my leg exploded.
Ouch, sorry to hear. Do we actually want details on "exploded" :geno:

When you recover you really should pick them up. They do stretch a little but they feel just so perfect. Also, screw Nike boots forever.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

calcio posted:

He was serving in Iraq...

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

calcio posted:

When you recover you really should pick them up. They do stretch a little but they feel just so perfect. Also, screw Nike boots forever.

love my vapors, and they've held together for years

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
played my weekly friendly game of 6 a side tonight (Which turned out to be 8 a side this week)

I am naturally a keeper so I do half an hour in goal and half out - today I couldn't kick a single goal kick but as soon as I came out I've never played so well!

We won 2-0 but not without controversy, the first goal was when their keeper walked the ball out the area, then as he kicked it, it deflected off our striker and trickled in(!)

I scored the 2nd (a rarity I must admit) where it was a long ball over the top which only I chased, I let it bounce over me in the area and then chipped it over my head to keep it in play, meanwhile the keeper came off his line to punch it but missed leaving me to head my chip into the net.

I think every touch I had ended up where I wanted, there was even one instance where I was talking to the defender and then I realised the ball was coming to me from a goal kick a bit late, I still managed to use my first touch on the volley to play a perfect square through ball (which my team mate missed)

This post is just pure self loving because I feel great at the moment :D

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

calcio posted:

Yeah my leg literally exploded. The other team almost passed me to death.

I ruptured my Achilles in the last game of the season last year. Looking at about fourteen months on the sideline :(

iPod = GF
Dec 26, 2007

What are some good astro boots for those of us with really wide feet? I heard nikes are the widest and the widest rated ones on their site were the ctr libretto II, and the total 90 shoot III. I also heard that the mizuno wave shinken is pretty wide. Any other recommendations?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

calcio posted:

Is this 5 a side or something? One of my teams is a coed team traditional 11 a side and we are allowed only 5 of each gender on the field not counting the keeper.

5 a side with the 6th being the keeper. I wish it were 11, but no way my department could field a full team.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

iPod = GF posted:

What are some good astro boots for those of us with really wide feet? I heard nikes are the widest and the widest rated ones on their site were the ctr libretto II, and the total 90 shoot III. I also heard that the mizuno wave shinken is pretty wide. Any other recommendations?

I've got CTR360 boots and they're the tightest fitting boots I have. My Predators are a wider fit. The only actual astro pair I have is my Puma Kings, I wouldn't recommend them though because they have an elastic half-sock inside them and wide feet would probably press uncomfortably against the edges.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've been asked to play in Fife tonight. I'd be game but its a 80 mile round journey to the place, 5 quid to play, and I wouldn't get home till about half 11 at night. I was up for it once a week when I still lived at home but now moneys tight I'm gonna have to decline.

Plus tomorrow I'm playing at Coupar which is a 8 mile round trip and only costs about £1.50.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
so with my ankle almost healed im looking into getting back into playing soccer again.

whats the opinion on normal cleats on artificial turf?

im beginning to suspect my ankle injury could have been prevented had i worn dedicated (flat) turf shoes instead of normal cleats that i had worn for grass fields.

since the spikes? dont dig in, my ankles have a higher tendency to roll over itself?isnt it like running on skates? i dont want to skimp on soccer equpiment anymore. the hospital fees have already cost me a little over 100$ and to think I could have prevented this with a little warm up and some decent cleats :(

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

they're fine for field turf, suicidal for carpet turf

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I run my work football team, I work on the railway and our team is called Lokomotiv :rimshot:

We used to do outdoor 7-a-side but the council claim to be redeveloping the astroturf pitches (although they've been saying this for nearly a year), so we have been forced to do an indoor 5-a-side futsal league instead. I'd like to think I'm a good team manager, we've won 2 cups in my reign, but never a league. Getting the right blend of personnel is the main problem. Everyone hates our team though because we are fairly agressive, have had some spiky matches in the past and one of the guys playing for us does work on the railway, but used to be on professional terms at Blackburn Rovers :smug:

I also have casual matches on Thursday nights, I'd love to get back into 11-a-side but in this area at least it's a brutal affair and I can't risk the time off work since I already tore up my right ACL when I was 17 and have problems with it. On Saturday I went to check out my cousin playing. 17 minutes in the opposing team win a penalty with a clear dive, the keeper totally loses his poo poo. The ref refuses to acknowledge it was a dive, and the diver is rolling around feigning injury. The keeper just screams 'THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU!!!' and kicks the diver as hard as he can. Straight red card :black101:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I played 6 a side tonight, they had a corner and everyone was back except our striker.

someone headed it clear on our team but it dropped to their furthest most back player (although still just outside our area)

I tackled him and knocked the ball past him which basically put me through on goal if I ran the length of the pitch... I saw our striker ahead but we were winning by 2 goals and it was near the end of the game so I thought I'll give it a go :)

I ran 3/4's of the pitch and eased up to shoot and the chasing defender came from my left to right and instead of taking my shot I tapped it through his feet and put me on for a left foot shot... full power, bottom of the bar and straight in!! I am mainly a defender and rarely score but that is 2 goals in 2 weeks for me :D

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
Nike unveiled two new shoes.

Mercurial Superfly III
http://www.beautifulgear.com/2011/03/nike-mercurial-superfly-iii-revealed/

Nike5 Gato Street
http://www.beautifulgear.com/2011/03/nike5-gato-street/

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
PLayed in a 7's game at half 1, 7 minute halves, won 1-0, should have been more.

Carried on as the astro was free until we got kicked off at half 3. Back on at 5 until half 7.

So much football, playing tomorrow as well. Blisters are loving awful.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Well we have a regional charity match, I played last year at short notice and I've been asked back again. Thing is for various reasons I stopped playing over winter and today was the first training session in about 5 or 6 months.

I want to die, we did a few drills then 11 a side, 60 minute halves to build up stamina. Jesus H Christ.

What do you guys do for post match eats, I normally alternate between stuffing my face with pasta or stuffing it with meat depending on what's in the Fridge, today I've just polished off a pack of 8 turkey slices and I'll probably have fish for tea or something. Not sure what works best though.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Getting sick of losing these games now. We had all the chances today and lost 1-0. Had a goal disallowed because their keeper jumping into his own defender and fumbling the catch is apparently a foul by the striker nearby. The opposing captain even told the ref it should stand but he refused to change his mind. I got switched from striker to left wing back which I wasn't too happy about, somehow I managed to keep going without collapsing from exhaustion. I did get a break when I got pushed on a header and the ball hit me on the nose. Blood everywhere.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Welp, that was the worst match ever. We were 4-1 down at half time, two of our players were at each other's throats, in the second half we somehow came back to 4-4, had the 4-5 denied by an opponent stopping the ball behind the line with his hand, and then 5 minutes from time we couldn't clear the ball and I brought a guy down in the box. I got a bit of the ball but of course they converted the penalty.

And I destroyed my left shoe...

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Today I ache.

Today I ache like a mother fucker.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Lost in the fraternity 5 a side league. Gutted

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Second game with my new (over 30 coed) team yesterday, they're playing me at forward which is a big change from fullback. Going to take me a while to get used to that, but I'm enjoying it. It would help if we had some midfielders that I could work the ball up with, but right now the "plan" is nearly everyone sits back in defense and on the off-chance someone can clear a ball past the opposing midfield, I get to try and chase it down. I also get wild through balls that I run onto, but when I end up on the wing and hold up for support, I look back and see one or maybe two of my teammates have bothered to come up with me. Doesn't help that a handful are easily over 50... :smith:

Still, I managed to get on the scoresheet yesterday even though the only shots I took were blocked. Sent in a low, hard cross from the goal line to hit the other forward and a defender jumped in front and it went in. Ended up drawing 3-3 thanks to a penalty, which a girl converted for 2. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Played a bit of five a side tonight, god do I need to stop being a loving pansy and quitting playing come the cold winters. I love this poo poo. Took on two of theirs down the left, cut back onto my right, drilled it in behind their defenders as our fella was a step or two behind them. Their guy spins round, fumbles over his own legs and manages to knock it into his own net. Fat Ronaldiniho would have been proud if it wasn't an own goal.