Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I wouldn't be surprised if the UN/NATO has a complete air-strike plan already under-way to hit key military installations and install a protective air-barrier around Benghazi within hours. It's basically sanctioned destruction of any military vehicles/installations they can find or have pre-determined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I hope this is enough on its own to tell him to GTFO without starting an all out war.

Na, this is going to get extremely messy, and awful, but the rebels have a shot. Civilians are cheering right now, but they really do need to seek cover very soon.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
YES FOR ONCE IN A LIFETIME THE UN DOES ITS JOB!

BURN QADDAFI BUUUURRRRNNNN!!

I was close to making GBS threads myself in fright while watching the video, I was praying fervently the whole time and thank god he answered it in full swing!

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Well, Germany's out. I guess the other 4 abstentions are going to follow soon enough.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

gipskrampf posted:

I just hope these strikes will not cause too much collateral damage. That could damage the goodwill towards the West now present in the Lybian population.

I completely agree, but considering how much of Qaddafi's army is currently parked on the desert outskirts of A. Benghazi and B. Misurata, the first wave of attacks, at least, will probably be reasonably safe-ish for civilians (or at least as safe as any such attacks can be). If we get to the point where we're chasing Qaddafi thugs through the streets of Tripoli (and I think I speak for everyone here in hoping that it does not come to that), your warning will be very, very true, but for the initial wave of the campaign, the danger to civilians is almost totally from the hands of CQ, not the coalition.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
The US representative is speaking now, let's see what they'll actually commit to...

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Wait were they chanting Sarkozy's name before AJ cut to the UN again?

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Watching the AJE stream, I'm... not used to seeing UN coverage alongside people cheering. drat.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
/\/\ Yes, this is awesome! /\/\

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Wait where they chanting Sarkozy's name before AJ cut to the UN again?
"1..2..3.. Vive Sarkozy!"

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Spiky Ooze posted:

The US representative is speaking now, let's see what they'll actually commit to...

Nothing at all, apparently. Go USA!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

France took the leadership on this one. As much as Sarko might be an insufferable gloryhound, he deserves the glory on this one. Way to go, Sarko. Vive la France and all that.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Seeing all those people have hope again, for a second i thought they'd be all dead. i'm in tears, thank you god, thank you, you always deliver hope when needed the most.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

dpbjinc posted:

Nothing at all, apparently. Go USA!

This is a good thing. The US should stand back and let other nations take the lead on this. A lot of the success will wind up in PR and propagranda, and the US meddling in middle-east affairs doesn't have positive conotations. Italy and France should take the lead.

edit: and ME countries from the Arab League (but not the GCC)

vvvvvvvvv "Americans have given the green light to the Egyptians to help. The Americans don't want to be involved in a direct level, but the Egyptians wouldn't do it if they didn't get the green light."

Exactly. Obama is smart.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 17, 2011

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Wall Street Journal has just reported that Egypt has been, and continues to, arm Libyan rebels.

quote:

"We know the Egyptian military council is helping us, but they can't be so visible," said Hani Souflakis, a Libyan businessman in Cairo who has been acting as a rebel liaison with the Egyptian government since the uprising began.

"Weapons are getting through," said Mr. Souflakis, who says he has regular contacts with Egyptian officials in Cairo and the rebel leadership in Libya. "Americans have given the green light to the Egyptians to help. The Americans don't want to be involved in a direct level, but the Egyptians wouldn't do it if they didn't get the green light."

source

e. the article says they're providing mostly small arms like machine guns.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Yup.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Nonsense posted:

Na, this is going to get extremely messy, and awful, but the rebels have a shot. Civilians are cheering right now, but they really do need to seek cover very soon.

I can hope.

Maybe self preservation will kick in an override the narcissism. Of course he definitely is the type to take the scorched earth approach to resignation. :(

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
This UNTV is boring. I want to see some shoe banging action!

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Leperflesh posted:

The Wall Street Journal has just reported that Egypt has been, and continues to, arm Libyan rebels.

source

I'm not terribly surprised by that all things considered, hopefully it helps.

gipskrampf
Oct 31, 2010
Nap Ghost

Patter Song posted:

France took the leadership on this one. As much as Sarko might be an insufferable gloryhound, he deserves the glory on this one. Way to go, Sarko. Vive la France and all that.

And people say the French are Cheese-eating surrender monkeys.
:france: Vive la France et vive la Libye libre :france:

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Nenonen posted:

This UNTV is boring. I want to see some shoe banging action!

I want to see some shock and/or awe.

Settepotet
Jul 10, 2009
The hosts on Libyan state-TV looks a bit depressed and bewildered... lol

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Lascivious Sloth posted:

This is a good thing. The US should stand back and let other nations take the lead on this. A lot of the success will wind up in PR and propagranda, and the US meddling in middle-east affairs doesn't have positive conotations. Italy and France should take the lead.

edit: and ME countries from the Arab League (but not the GCC)

Berlusconi is Gaddafi's butt-body, Italy won't be doing much of anything. This will primarily be done by the UK and France with help from a few others. The US will park a carrier in the area just to keep an eye on things and probably support the effort with Hawkeyes and whatnot.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

redscare posted:

Berlusconi is Gaddafi's butt-body, Italy won't be doing much of anything. This will primarily be done by the UK and France with help from a few others. The US will park a carrier in the area just to keep an eye on things and probably support the effort with Hawkeyes and whatnot.

Berlusconi did a complete 180 and was early to condemn Libya as unexpected as that was. It would send a good message if a former buddy led the attacks, and a country without much meddling in ME affairs.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

redscare posted:

Berlusconi is Gaddafi's butt-body, Italy won't be doing much of anything.

Well it's not like Italy doesn't have a history of backstabbing its allies...

Settepotet
Jul 10, 2009
Awesome scenes on AJ now. The joy!

I hope the intervention come before Gadaffi goes all out...

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
loving finally

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Italy has said their air bases will be used to enforce the NFZ.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

redscare posted:

Berlusconi is Gaddafi's [bunga bunga buddy], Italy won't be doing much of anything. This will primarily be done by the UK and France with help from a few others. The US will park a carrier in the area just to keep an eye on things and probably support the effort with Hawkeyes and whatnot.
He's probably also busy dodging prison sentences.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Benghazi is going bananas on AJE.

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009

gipskrampf posted:

And people say the French are Cheese-eating surrender monkeys.
:france: Vive la France et vive la Libye libre :france:

*waxes moustache, puts on fighter pilot helmet*

Seriously though, this is the best news ever! I'm so happy we're actually intervening in a country for a decent reason for once, not just oil or some other bullshit resource.

Its gotta be brown trousers time for Gaddafi :v:

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

ufarn posted:

redscare posted:

Berlusconi is Gaddafi's [bunga bunga buddy], Italy won't be doing much of anything. This will primarily be done by the UK and France with help from a few others. The US will park a carrier in the area just to keep an eye on things and probably support the effort with Hawkeyes and whatnot.
He's probably also busy dodging prison sentences.

He's a white guy in blackface pretending to be African royalty to tour the HMS Dreadnought?

e: nvm, I was thinking of this.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

redscare posted:

Our aerial refueling assets will probably be important but yeah I'm glad to see the US take a back seat approach to this. We have a deservedly bad reputation and any cockups by us would poison the whole thing.

Let Sarkozy have the little quasi war he wants to pacify his country.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

This is the best thing ever. I read this thread with "America, gently caress Yeah" blaring in the background.

I am very proud of the modernised world right now.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

Oh dear God!! Host on #Libya TV just accused #US, #Israel, and #Iran on collaborating and conspiring to destroy Libya.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Brown Moses posted:

Oh dear God!! Host on #Libya TV just accused #US, #Israel, and #Iran on collaborating and conspiring to destroy Libya.

That seems like an unlikely trio. One of these things is not like the others.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

^^^^^ Ahahaha the US and Iran working together... and Israel.

gipskrampf
Oct 31, 2010
Nap Ghost
What means does Gaddafi actually have to attack civilian ships and aircraft in the Mediterranean Sea like he threatend? I guess his airforce will be neutralised quickly enough if they try something like this, does Libya have a significant navy to conduct such attacks?

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
just name whoever and hope something sticks

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wafflecopper posted:

^^^^^ Ahahaha the US and Iran working together

It's a buddy cop movie. Khamenei and Obama, forced to work together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This Twitter account is tracking air traffic in the region :
http://twitter.com/fmcnl

• Locked thread