Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Libya's anti-air capabilities were old the last time the US bombed Libya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Indi86 posted:

If they go in, they'll hit their targets. The bigger problem will be the still-hostile air space.

Oh believe me, that is not a problem. US and European jets and the air-to-air missiles carried by them far outrate the Libyan arsenal, Libyan SAMs are outdated and if there is a target that is really dangerous to approach, it can be destroyed with cruise missiles. And the area around Benghazi likely has no permanent SAM installations in government hands, so the most important region is safe for operations.

The biggest issue will be to recognize the ground targets. A Libyan army technical or T-55 looks surprisingly similar to a rebel technical or T-55 from up above...

Cartouche posted:

Thank goodness he is telling Gaddafi exactly what we are not going to do.

Democratic governments tend to be responsible to their people, and therefore should keep them informed of their intentions. This reduces the chances for bluff, but also makes their words count for more.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
Are the reports of 50km away from Benghazi false? Hearing both ways right now. Hope they have a little more time. Maybe France can run bomb some poo poo right quick.

Jack Napier
Aug 5, 2010

by Ozma

Rkelly posted:

Are the reports of 50km away from Benghazi false? Hearing both ways right now. Hope they have a little more time. Maybe France can run bomb some poo poo right quick.

In less than an hour? Assuming they're travelling at 30mph.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Jack Napier posted:

In less than an hour? Assuming they're travelling at 30mph.

CNN said France's jets were 1 hour to 1 and 1/2 hours away at anytime.
Sarkozy is most likely just posturing mostly.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Namarrgon posted:

One could very easily argue that the Libyan rebels are a national group?

e. Unless you're arguing it's not systematic, in which case I encourage you to become a lawyer.

Try the Geneva accords instead of dictionary.com as they are what matters in this case

neamp
Jun 24, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

If Misrata is anything to go by his plan is to pound the poo poo out of Benghazi and kill as many people as possible.

If he tried to kill as many people as possible he could have just burned to city to the ground.
What he is doing is cutting off supplies, water, electricity and communications and terrorizing the inhabitants with indiscriminate killings and destruction. When the city is in it's last breaths he just waltzes in, though it seems he tried that a few days too early with the last attempt.
Killing people really isn't his goal it's just that a few thousand deaths simply mean nothing to him.

He has to move his troops into position around Benghazi (and probably Tobruk) quickly now though, if the UN coalition is indeed serious about stopping movement of troops towards rebel held cities. That might play into the rebels hands somehow or it might end up disastrous if they get split up and isolated in various smaller pockets.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

bringer posted:

Oh, so the Libyan tribes aren't racially distinct enough to classify this as genocide?

How do you propose the UN bring Gaddafi to the table?

You know what, forget that. Just answer this: Why do you persist on thinking that the rebels are classified as civilians and will be given UN air support, rather than taking the mandate for what it is: the authorization to take necessary steps to protect civilian population centres from collective punishment.*

They have their own flag. They have what appears to be a ruling council. European nations have recognized them as legitimate. None of these facts represent the armed rebels as civilians.

*which, by the way, is a war crime.
If the rebels are NOT civilians and have their own standing army, then surely they should not be using civilian centers as their base of operation and hiding behind civilians.
The resolution is UN sanctioned regime change. A No Fly Zone is one thing, but the resolution went past that to pretty much telling CQ he's not getting his cities back.
If the UN are able to force a stalemate though, getting peeps to the table and establishing peacekeeping operations is an option

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

I'd like to think the eastern cities have had time and space to become a lot better fortified than Misrata and any further attacks will not now manage to get air support.

And this foreign minister needs a bomb up his lying rear end.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Rkelly posted:

CNN said France's jets were 1 hour to 1 and 1/2 hours away at anytime.
Sarkozy is most likely just posturing mostly.

France isn't that far away from Libya, especially when there's open water and no speed limit.

Jut posted:

establishing peacekeeping operations is an option

Didn't the resolution specifically prohibit foreign occupation?

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 18, 2011

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

Jut posted:

If the UN are able to force a stalemate though, getting peeps to the table and establishing peacekeeping operations is an option

Can the UN and the international community really accept some sort of even agreement and talks with Gaddafi? They've accused him of crimes against humanity. It's not like they can just hold fair talks with someone they've already condemned.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It is very unlikely to happen, but there's nothing stopping them. Sudan is precedent.

RunningOnEmpty
Nov 1, 2005
Because I work hard for the money...bitch.
It looks like pro-government forces are actually going after Benghazi. There isn't a :psyduck: big enough.

Why do it? What can he possible achieve.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

RunningOnEmpty posted:

It looks like pro-government forces are actually going after Benghazi. There isn't a :psyduck: big enough.

Why do it? What can he possible achieve.

It will take a large portion of those opposing his rule hostage.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
Loud explosion and anti-aircraft fire heard in Libyan city of Benghazi. -AFP

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Jut posted:

If the rebels are NOT civilians and have their own standing army, then surely they should not be using civilian centers as their base of operation and hiding behind civilians.
The resolution is UN sanctioned regime change. A No Fly Zone is one thing, but the resolution went past that to pretty much telling CQ he's not getting his cities back.

Gaddafi was attacking the protesters before there was a hint of a National Transitional Council. Do you somehow think all the civilian casualties and attacks on the cities that have gone over to the rebels are just collateral damage? This is textbook collective punishment and it is right that the UN is stepping in to stop it. This does not mean they will assist the NTC with taking Tripoli by force, the way the USA did in Afghanistan 2001. It means they will prevent Gaddafi's forces from continuing their attacks on civilian centres. How do you keep missing this point? Gaddafi STARTED by attacking unarmed protesters, it's not a loving accident.

For that matter, where did you come up with standing army from anything I've said? Earlier I laid out what the Third Geneva Convention requires from a militia, which the Libyans have followed. A militia is not a standing army. A transitional council is not a standing army. A standing army is something you raise during peacetime, not draft in an emergency.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Nonsense posted:

It will take a large portion of those opposing his rule hostage.

Pretty much. And what are we prepared to do in response?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Cartouche posted:

Let me shake the Obama administration 8 ball....

"Strongly Condemn"

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Cartouche posted:

TRADE SANCTIONS!

Jack Napier
Aug 5, 2010

by Ozma

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Let me shake the Obama administration 8 ball....

"Strongly Condemn"

I literally just saw that on Al Jazeera after I read it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Jack Napier posted:

I literally just saw that on Al Jazeera after I read it.

Will everyone just let him be clear? drat. Man's trying to talk.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Mine said "military force" but I don't have time to get an accompanying graphic.

Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot
You do realize saying anything other than strongly condemn opens up the possibility for it to be spun as America inciting attacks right?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Yemen is a tragic case, because Obama and other Western leaders will probably not condemn what the government is doing to it's own people, because they're allowing him to wage war against "terror cells" there.

U.S. Navy base presence in Bahrain also presents the same "constraints".

Pedrophile posted:

You do realize saying anything other than strongly condemn opens up the possibility for it to be spun as America inciting attacks right?

It's unfortunately more clear cut than that.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Perhaps you could help me understand the connection between your recent comment stating Obama will not condemn what the government in Yemen is doing and the recent image quoting Obama as strongly condemning what the government in Yemen is doing.

Jack Napier
Aug 5, 2010

by Ozma
Anyone got a GIF of the dancing that guy was doing on top of the tank? Criss-crossing his hands?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

farraday posted:

Perhaps you could help me understand the connection between your recent comment sating Obama will not condemn what the government in Yemen is doing and the recent image quoting Obama as strongly condemning what the government in Yemen is doing.

He's condemning the violence, he's not condemning the President, and he hasn't gone as far as to say he has to go, the last line in that statement is an absolute laugh. Obama isn't going to get slack on this, there's a lot of bullshit going on with regards to how he's been treating the region.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Nonsense posted:

U.S. Navy base presence in Bahrain also presents the same "constraints".

Yeah, the 5th Fleet being there means the US will allow pretty much anything as long as they can keep their naval base. That is a major jumping off point for any military operation in the area.

Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot

DevNull posted:

Yeah, the 5th Fleet being there means the US will allow pretty much anything as long as they can keep their naval base. That is a major jumping off point for any military operation in the area.

It would look quite bad if foreign stationed force began attacking the country it resides in.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

Libyan Spokesman giving live conference now. So far he has said:

1. Forces are complying with ceasefire
2. Forces will not enter Benghazi rather they will remain at the perimeter and monitor situation
3. We have released all those detained including journalists who broke the law by entering the country illegally
4. The New York Times journalists’ issue has been resolved now
5. Do not believe Al Jazeera
6. There is no air bombardment on Misratah. And there has been no bombardment of any kind after the ceasefire declaration
7. Our cities are outside the city of Benghazi and NOT in the city of Benghazi
8. The international observers from the counties I named (Turkey China and Russia and Germany) can be in Libya in a few hours and can verify my statements and will be allowed to go to the locations they want to.
9. There are very strange and funny things that have been said. We have seen Az Zawiya city. It is open and on your way there you can see many places and locations. I find this request very strange because things are very normal in Az Zawiya.
10. There are no military operations in Az Zawiya. The army exists there to secure the life and safety of the people because of the rebels. What we have in Az Zawiya checkpoints. Any soverign country has the right to have procedures to safeguard the safety of its people
11. You mentioned freedom of expression. What is the relation between freedom of expression and people mounting tanks and raising arms to fight the government
12. I assure you there will be no demonstrations anywhere.
13. What happened in Tajoura a few weeks ago from clashes was a local problem and it has now been resolved.
14. Our position is clear, this is the policy of the government: There are no attacks on peaceful protestors

What a loving piece of poo poo, I hope a nice French bomb finds it way to his doorstep.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Nonsense posted:

He's condemning the violence, he's not condemning the President, and he hasn't gone as far as to say he has to go, the last line in that statement is an absolute laugh.

So when you said "he will not condemn what the government in Yemen is doing to it's own people" what you meant was "he will not call for the president to be removed"?

Just to make it clear since you're equivocating madly.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pedrophile posted:

It would look quite bad if foreign stationed force began attacking the country it resides in.

I think he means, President Obama will give a pass to the Bahrain Monarchy to control the situation as they see fit. Of course, there is a possibility, that it's a "one country at a time" policy, where right now it's Libya, as it was Egypt and so on. Perhaps once Gaddafi is gone and the civil war can end, he will turn attention to the Gulf states, but I remain doubtful.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

quote:

4. The New York Times journalists’ issue has been resolved now

So they did capture the NYT journalists, glad they're being freed though.

quote:

NEW YORK — Forces loyal to Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi have said they will release four New York Times journalists who were captured during fighting in the eastern part of the country, the newspaper said Friday.

The four planned to drive to the Egyptian border and fly out of Egypt, said Buddy Shadid, the father of Times reporter Anthony Shadid.

"They were wanting to keep it quiet yesterday because of the delicate negotiations," Buddy Shadid told The Associated Press. "Apparently the United Nations and Turkey and some other nations all put pressure on the Libyan government to release them."

Buddy Shadid said he had spoken to his daughter-in-law, Nada Bakri, who said the four journalists were treated well and had plenty of food and water.

The journalists are reporter Anthony Shadid; photographers Tyler Hicks and Lynsey Addario; and a reporter and videographer, Stephen Farrell. In 2009, Farrell was captured by the Taliban in Afghanistan and was rescued by British commandos.

Gadhafi's son, Seif al-Islam Gadhafi, told ABC News reporter Christiane Amanpour during an interview that the journalists were in Libyan custody, and on Thursday evening Libyan government officials told the U.S. State Department that all four would be released, the Times said in an article on its website. A Times spokeswoman declined to comment.

The journalists had last been in contact with editors on Tuesday from the northern port city of Ajdabiya where they were covering the retreat of rebels.

Hicks' father, Portis Hicks, said his son called him briefly Thursday while still in Libyan custody. Tyler Hicks said he was in good health was being treated well.

"We are relieved and very gratified that the Libyan government has agreed to release them," Hicks said.
Buddy Shadid said the ordeal had left family members emotionally drained.

"I didn't know if he was in a car that got blown up or something like that, and they couldn't identify the bodies. My imagination ran wild," he said.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

farraday posted:

So when you said "he will not condemn what the government in Yemen is doing to it's own people" what you meant was "he will not call for the president to be removed"?

Just to make it clear since you're equivocating madly.

President, administration, government. Sorry to use multiple words that mean different things. The President is the one calling the shots in Yemen, I just used government to refer to administration. Please don't play word games. So yeah, President of Yemen should step down, it's what people want, he's not stepping down, and has begun massacring his people.

Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot

Nonsense posted:

I think he means, President Obama will give a pass to the Bahrain Monarchy to control the situation as they see fit. Of course, there is a possibility, that it's a "one country at a time" policy, where right now it's Libya, as it was Egypt and so on. Perhaps once Gaddafi is gone and the civil war can end, he will turn attention to the Gulf states, but I remain doubtful.

It is a very precarious situation, it is important to pay attention to the subtleties of what is happening on a global scale. A leader's words can carry a heavy weight. While saying that you condemn violence seems like it doesn't do much, you have to realize that in essence that nation is recognizing what is actually happening on a global scale.

Edit: yeah should probably state that I am referring to Obama

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Nonsense posted:

That is what I am saying. I would even say it is more than giving them a pass. The Obama administration is probably encouraging the Bahrain Monarchy to put down the protests as quickly as possible to bring stability back to the country. If the protesters were successful in Bahrain, we would very likely not be able to keep the base there. That would mean losing a lot of our ability to have any power over the region at all.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Sounds like the NFZ will take effect soon:

quote:

Appearing on CNN just now, the US's UN ambassador Susan Rice said Gaddafi's forces were in violation of the UN Security Council resolution through their advance upon Benghazi, and warned of "swift and sure consequences including military action".

Thunderstorm
Jul 7, 2002
Shtoopid Noobie?
We've been waiting what seems like forever for the UN resolution, and now 24 hours later with all that time to prepare, we're still seeing Gadaffi shelling the poo poo out of urban areas. I call self-righteous bullshit on the French and the British.

Ok, for that useless dumbfuck Sarkozy it's an election year. But what's the agenda of the brits? Too much media coverage for that royal brat?

P.S.: NATO forces need at least another week to prepare, which means they can as well go home.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Thunderstorm posted:

We've been waiting what seems like forever for the UN resolution, and now 24 hours later with all that time to prepare, we're still seeing Gadaffi shelling the poo poo out of urban areas. I call self-righteous bullshit on the French and the British.

Ok, for that useless dumbfuck Sarkozy it's an election year. But what's the agenda of the brits? Too much media coverage for that royal brat?

P.S.: NATO forces need at least another week to prepare, which means they can as well go home.

France said they didn't want a NATO intervention.
We have reports of pro-Kadhafi troops bombing cities, but we also have declarations from Kadhafi's goverment declaring a cease-fire. The West can't afford to attack Kadhafi's forces if they have indeed stopped their attack (and if they haven't, we need reliable proof to be legally covered).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Thunderstorm posted:

They're probably just ironing out the fine details, or waiting for confirmation from their won sources (maybe the AWACS?) that Gaddafi is actually attacking civilians. As broad as the UN resolution is, there are still limits to what they can and can't do, I'd imagine they'd want to be 100% sure they're attacking the right target before sending heir planes in.

e: Besides, even if something did happen, neither side would rush to announce it until they double-checked everything, then sent it through their PR department.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 19, 2011

• Locked thread