Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
If we have any balls at all against people like Gaddafi, we will be bombing the poo poo out of him come this evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Oh man this news conference from the Libyan government is shaping up to be a fun one

Edit: UN Resolution is being described as "void"

J33uk fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 19, 2011

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
'Security council resolutions are void, this is an internal affair, who gave you the right ???'

edit Gadaffi: Baraka Hussein Obama, my son, I still love you even if we are enemies.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Is Gaddafi's letter saying he will continue to love Barack Hussein Obama as a son, even if America attacks? Weird press conference.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Holy poo poo Obama wasn't born in Kenya he was born in Libya! But seriously what a rambling mess of a speech contrasted against the images of Benghazi getting blown apart.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
drat, don't cut away as the letter to Sarkozy gets read out.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Uh so he declared a cease-fire yesterday and accepted the resolution now he is doing the exact opposite?

Has Gaddafi finally gone utterly insane?

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Mr Plow posted:

The international community should be ashamed of itself today. They spurred Ghadaffi to brutally assault Misrata and Benghazi by declaring their NFZ, then did nothing to defend those cities and uphold their declaration.

Gaddafi was always going to attack Benghazi. He's been pushing steadily towards it for days now. The only thing the NFZ did was cause him to announce a "ceasefire."

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

A Tartan Tory posted:

uh... welcome to decades ago

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

There's some claims on Twitter that the rebels have destroyed and captured some armoured vehicles entering the city.

Fapitalism
Apr 12, 2003
When Capitalism fails, you will always have Fapitalism.
One would think that the major powers involved (France, Britain, US) would have realized that a potential consequence of passing a UN resolution to "attack" Libya would result in Ghaddafi going all out on the offensive. Seems like to me the response has gone from late to what is the point?

Britain and France since they are the offensive forces should have had Ghadaffi's major troop locations and bombed the poo poo out of them hours after the resolution was enacted.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
His overall plan is to now tie in dressing as a Fabulous Jedi with paraphrased Star Wars quotes by claiming Obama is his son?

Can you even plead insanity in the ICC when charged with crimes against humanity?

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Just came back, voted "No" on the referendum. There were thousands of people in lines outside the polling station just in my neigbourhood (there's 54,000 polling stations all over the country), it's unprecedented and amazing. Took us 2 hours to actually get to vote because of the gigantic lines but we basically talked to each other and debated the whole time. One odd observation, at least in my neighbourhood more old people turned up than young. Most people I talked to voted "No" and I think it's gonna be a close call in the end. No one could see any signs of fraud and the military was securing everything.

Whatever the results are, it was an amazing experience.

Ham fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 19, 2011

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Ham posted:

Just came back, voted "No" on the referendum. There were thousands of people in lines outside the polling station just in my neigbourhood (there's 54,000 polling stations all over the country), it's unprecedented and amazing. Took us 2 hours to actually get to vote because of the gigantic lines but we basically talked to each other and debated the whole time. One odd observation, at least in my neighbourhood more old people turned up than young. Most people I talked to voted "No" and I think it's gonna be a close call in the end. No one could see any signs of fraud and the military was securing everything.

Whatever the results are, it was an amazing experience.

Thanks for the update Ham, glad to see so much there's enthousiasm, though it is a bit odd that more old people turned up than young (unless most of the young people are ineligible to vote. Or maybe you just live in a family/retirement area). Depending on the outcome, do you have any idea how long it will be until they hold elections?

Also, what were all those warnings about making sure you ballot had to be stamped? Was it to prevent a spoiled ballot or to keep track of legit ones or something completely different?

Narmi fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Mar 19, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

Reuters U.S.’s Clinton, UK’s Cameron, France’s Sarkozy to meet around 1130 GMT ahead of wider Paris Libya meeting. The BBC yesterday mentioned that jets could be active over Libya before the meeting, however.
That's in 40 minutes. Hope the last bit is true as well

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I know it's lovely to cheer on military action but goddamn.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Narmi posted:

Also, what were all those warnings about making sure you ballot had to be stamped? Was it to prevent a spoiled ballot or to keep track of legit ones or something completely different?

I think unstamped ones aren't counted.

If the outcome is "Yes", we're gonna have parliamentary elections in 2 months, and most analysts think they're gonna be dominated by the Muslim Brotherhood and the National Democratic Party.

If the outcome is "No" then a new constitution or new amendments will have to be written, giving some time for liberal and/or secular parties to form and organize.

Some of the rhetoric used by islamist groups in this referendum (they're in support of "Yes" cause they know any parliament elected during this period will be dominated by the Muslim Brotherhood, who can then tailor their own constitution), some of that rhetoric is plain frightening. A lot of them are telling people it's their "duty" to vote "Yes" as decreed by god, and that people who vote "No" are akin to apostates.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Whats the expected time table for results?

Mr Plow
Dec 31, 2004

Narmi posted:

Gaddafi was always going to attack Benghazi. He's been pushing steadily towards it for days now. The only thing the NFZ did was cause him to announce a "ceasefire."

Wrong, it caused him to accelerate and increase his brutality in an effort to have his troops and hardware inside the sanctuary of a populated city before the bombs start dropping.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Ham posted:

Some of the rhetoric used by islamist groups in this referendum (they're in support of "Yes" cause they know any parliament elected during this period will be dominated by the Muslim Brotherhood, who can then tailor their own constitution), some of that rhetoric is plain frightening. A lot of them are telling people it's their "duty" to vote "Yes" as decreed by god, and that people who vote "No" are akin to apostates.

Those guys sound like the same ones who riled up those mobs a few days ago and got them to burn down a church. Hopefully they don't get their way.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
If the rebels were not so totally useless Gadaffi's forces would not have been able to get so close without their normal days of bombarding. Once this is all over I really hope we'll get some sort of idea just who has been feeding the world all the crap of mass defections, brilliant rebel victories and bumbling government forces.

Simtex
Feb 15, 2008
Clinton, Cameron, and Sarkozy are having a private meeting in about 10 minutes, then an hour later the wider meeting is set to begin.

MJ_Turbo
Oct 15, 2005
da fuq?
edit:nevermind that was something else

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Mr Plow posted:

Wrong, it caused him to accelerate and increase his brutality in an effort to have his troops and hardware inside the sanctuary of a populated city before the bombs start dropping.

Yeah, but you said: "They spurred Ghadaffi to brutally assault Misrata and Benghazi by declaring their NFZ" which is not the same as saying it caused him to move his plans up. Spurring someone into doing something means you incite/goad/encourage them to do it, and he's was always going to assault those cities. Saying they "caused him to accelerate and increase his brutality" is not the same as saying they caused that brutality.

My point is you can't say the NFZ is the reason he attacked Benghazi, or even blame the brutality of the attack by a man who quite clearly is flaunting human rights law on the NFZ, though you are right in saying it caused him to try and take it sooner.

e: I only brought it up in the first place because I really don't want people to start blaming others for something (the fact that Benghazi and other cities were going to be attacked) that is quite clearly Gaddafi's fault.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 19, 2011

RunningOnEmpty
Nov 1, 2005
Because I work hard for the money...bitch.
New press conference in Triply. Talking about oil.

Check out AJ.

edit
Awwwwww. They want the oil companies to come back and pump some oil. Its business as usual.

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

RunningOnEmpty fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 19, 2011

Mr Plow
Dec 31, 2004

Narmi posted:

Yeah, but you said: "They spurred Ghadaffi to brutally assault Misrata and Benghazi by declaring their NFZ" which is not the same as saying it caused him to move his plans up. Spurring someone into doing something means you incite/goad/encourage them to do it, and he's was always going to assault those cities. Saying they "caused him to accelerate and increase his brutality" is not the same as saying they caused that brutality.

My point is you can't say the NFZ is the reason he attacked Benghazi, though you are right in saying it caused him to try and take it sooner.

It spurred him to attack at that time, and to attack with an even greater brutality than he otherwise would have, so I see no problem in using the word spurred. I'm not going to have a largely semantic debate about it at this terrible time, however.

Simtex
Feb 15, 2008
Oil minister basically saying "Come on back western oil companies...right now...or else we sell your contracts to China, India, and Brazil."

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Well, I guess we know where those messages asking the west to stay out of their business are coming from:

quote:

12:45 Iyad El-Baghdadi has confirmed news that Gaddafi “sleeper cells” (people from his revolutionary committees) in Benghazi are involved in today’s violence.

Hopefully the fact that they confirmed there are sleeper cells means they can identify them and take them out.

Mr Plow posted:

It spurred him to attack at that time, and to attack with an even greater brutality than he otherwise would have, so I see no problem in using the word spurred. I'm not going to have a largely semantic debate about it at this terrible time, however.

My issue with your post isn't semantics, my issue is that you said they caused him to do something, which isn't true. But you've changed your attitude to saying they've caused him to do something he was always going to do, just earlier, so I guess that's ok.

e: Stuff's happening!

quote:

13:27 BBC Two RAF Tornados have been seen taking off from RAF Lossiemouth in Scotland. It is impossible to say where they are headed but they are equipped with long-range fuel tanks.

e2: Anyone know if these two aircraft are enough to take out Gaddafi's artillery? I'd have thought they'd send more than just two aircraft, unless it's for recon or something and they're going to be followed by a squadron of fighters.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 19, 2011

RunningOnEmpty
Nov 1, 2005
Another press conference going live. Foreign minister this time.

edit: I type good.

press conference cut due to bad sound. Oh well.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
My guess is that those two planes are just getting relocated to closer airbases.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Narmi posted:

And I am in some weird way happy that he is insane and didn't follow through with a cease fire. Really, it could have been a masterstroke of sorts, so many issues could have come up with the libyan government not harming any civilians, but keeping them surrounded and forcing the rebels to wage war to get gaddifi and attack tripoli. So all the UN saw was civilians killed by rebel attacks taking back towns and advancing on government troops.
But he's insane and a complete murderous gently caress wit that didn't see a solution that may have come about with actually following through with a cease fire and destroying the rebel cause with no fight, no food, no water, no air support from the UN because there's no attacking government army as targets attacking civilians. And I'm glad for that in the sense that it's going to be full speed ahead for the UN to destroy his forces, his government, his family and himself now.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 19, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'm seeing various Tweets saying that the Gaddafi attack in Benghazi isn't going very well for the Gaddafi forces, tanks are getting destroyed, soldiers are running out of ammo, etc. Could all be rebel propaganda though.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Rebels seem to be celebrating in Benghazi right now.

RunningOnEmpty
Nov 1, 2005

Narmi posted:

Well, I guess we know where those messages asking the west to stay out of their business are coming from:

Hopefully the fact that they confirmed there are sleeper cells means they can identify them and take them out.

My issue with your post isn't semantics, my issue is that you said they caused him to do something, which isn't true. But you've changed your attitude to saying they've caused him to do something he was always going to do, just earlier, so I guess that's ok.

e: Stuff's happening!

e2: Anyone know if these two aircraft are enough to take out Gaddafi's artillery? I'd have thought they'd send more than just two aircraft, unless it's for recon or something and they're going to be followed by a squadron of fighters.

The R.A.F. is strapped for cash. I doubt we can send many planes. Hell, we just scrapped an aircraft carrier and bunch of reconnaissance aircraft.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ham posted:

One odd observation, at least in my neighbourhood more old people turned up than young.

Truly, Egypt is capable of American style democracy. :v:

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Jippa posted:

If this no fly zone is going to be enforced the message has to get out loud and clear that no anti air should be used by the rebels (obviously this is easier said than done).

Sating the obvious, but still.

Agreed. Also, did the rebel pilots somehow not get the memo on what a "no fly zone" is?
edit: assuming this was a jet flown by a rebel.

A Tartan Tory posted:

I am not all that convinced he is actually amongst the living. He is some crazed zombie-like... thing.

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 19, 2011

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
Does anyone know if the US is sitting this one out? Are they going to enforce the No Fly Zone along with the Europeans or not?

Also, Al Jazeera just said that the Turks are going to join the No Fly Zone now.

Priapist
Aug 10, 2002

Heeeere's Herbie!

Ace Oliveira posted:

Does anyone know if the US is sitting this one out? Are they going to enforce the No Fly Zone along with the Europeans or not?

Also, Al Jazeera just said that the Turks are going to join the No Fly Zone now.

The U.S. is already there with Navy and land-based assets. It remains to be seen if they'll take part in combat operations or just provide radar, air refueling, etc. support and let the Europeans take point.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

[b]

That's in 40 minutes. Hope the last bit is true as well

Good christ, still doing immediate discussions? I have to wonder if those deployed to the region are watching the news, and all of these meetings that seem to be resulting in yet more meetings and discussions and debates...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simtex
Feb 15, 2008
Reuters is reporting this as breaking news, seems like this was already known though:

quote:

BREAKING NEWS:
World powers could start military strikes on Libya as soon as Paris meeting ends: source

Hopefully that means within an hour or two.

• Locked thread