Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I think he's trolling Obama. I'm not american, but do you guys think Republicans and tea party will use this against Obama?

gently caress new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

Thundarr posted:

I thought that historically Russia and China have only issued vetos in matters they considered to be directly within their spheres of influence? In other words, they probably don't passively approve of the action, they just don't want to have anything to do with it one way or the other.

This is what I meant when I said that they've been bastards in the past -
China and Russia vetoing sanctions on Mugabe:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/china-and-russia-veto-un-sanctions-on-mugabe-865921.html

...and as far as them not passively approving of this action, I have to disagree with you here. Yes, they abstained and didn't actually vote in support of the resolution and won't be providing military support and this gives off more of a "do your thing, we don't care" vibe.

But in the past couple of weeks they were sending a different message and implying that they might be bringing down the veto hammer on any no fly-zones:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/babylonbeyond/2011/03/libya-protests-6.html

I would say the fact that they didn't end up vetoing indicates that they changed their minds in light of Gadhafi's ramped up craziness. It looks more like passive approval or at the very least "even we're not big enough dicks to veto this one".

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Ernest Hemingway posted:

In a situation like this if the security council didn't take action it would cause the UN to look pretty drat impotent confirm their impotence.

I personally think they have been a bit limp for some time.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

KingColliwog posted:

I think he's trolling Obama. I'm not american, but do you guys think Republicans and tea party will use this against Obama?

I'd be willing to bet yes if it gets around the news enough.

Also kalonji let me see if I understand your position correctly, since we can't help everyone all the time, when the political conditions give us the chance to do the right thing for once for some people we shouldn't do it? Alright got it.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Cartouche posted:

For christ sake.

I am feeling so much angst. This is like seeing a mother telling her son to stop poking his sister over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over and wanting to push the mother out of the way and smack the kid silly.

:nyd: Don't cross this line!
:pervert: *crosses line*
:nyd: Don't cross THIS line!
:nyd: DON'T cross this line!

At what point would it be feasible to flatten his stronghold and move on to diplomacy with someone there that is not batshit insane?

To be fair, they aren't playing the 'don't cross this line' bullshit (at least, they aren't yet, anyway).

Eventually Gaddafi's going to slip up, and attack some city, and the entire thing will come crashing down on him. Otherwise, the rebels have a pretty easy win ahead of them because the loyalists are basically paralysed at this point.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Isn't he attacking a city? Like, right now?

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

KingColliwog posted:

Not really a question, they use everything against Obama regardless of what it is. Healthcare? NOT IN MY COUNTRY, rear end in a top hat.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
From libyafeb17.com:

"17:28 The Libyan Youth Movement say they have more confirmation that people are being kidnapped across Libya, particularly in places such as Zwara and other areas in order to be used as human shields. Earlier on Al Jazeera, an opposition leader said he was expecting Gaddafi to use human shields in the event of military strikes.

Iyad El-Baghdadi adds: “Gaddafi the bastard never allowed Libyans into his complex. Now the place is crawling with them including children. Human shields. He wants collateral damage. He wants boots on the ground.”

What do you guys think this will mean for any eventual combat operations in Libya? I understand right now the priority is to keep loyalist jets on the ground and possibly engage artillery and heavy armour.

Ogive
Dec 22, 2002

by Lowtax

Cacatua posted:

A spokesman of the regime has read out a couple of letters Gaddafi wrote to addressed to Obama, and then to Cameron, Sarkozy and Ban Ki-Moon:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12794591

They're pretty crazy. :psyduck: He still seems quite fond of Obama and calls him "my son," again.

I got this from twitter, it's entertaining if nothing else.

http://www.politico.com/politico44/perm/0311/my_son_7ffb5ed0-e8dd-4f6a-a33a-fbeb3a337336.html

I would love to be the journalist who asks "are you drunk? are you high?"

E: also:

twitter posted:

Peaceful protesters who were forced to arm themselves can now go out again and bring Gdfi down knowing the world is with them. #libya #feb17

:unsmith:

Ogive fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 19, 2011

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Ramms+ein posted:

From the Two Weeks Notice blog on Latin America:

http://www.avn.info.ve/taxonomy/term/94

Telesur's correspondent reports today on his twitter account that the Libyan government intercepts a shipment of drugs from Dubai, the Libyan people mobilize in support of national unity in Tripoli, and other gems.

Ahahaha holy poo poo

AVN posted:

"Lybia invites international community to send in observers to confirm ceasefire"
"Lybia announces ceasefire to protect the people after foreign invasion was approved"
"US sends more warships to the Mediterranean to attack Lybia"
"UN decided against Lybian people people based on media lies"
"Gaddafi calls on Lybian Revolutionary Committees to fight the traitors"

beer_war fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 19, 2011

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

ChaosSamusX posted:

To be fair, they aren't playing the 'don't cross this line' bullshit (at least, they aren't yet, anyway).

Eventually Gaddafi's going to slip up, and attack some city, and the entire thing will come crashing down on him.

I apologize. I was under the impression that Benghazi was being attacked over the last few hours.

KingColliwog posted:

I'm not american, but do you guys think Republicans and tea party will use this against Obama?

As a conservative, I personally am fine with Obama not taking the lead on this one. Quite frankly, I am sick of us being blasted each time we play world police, and allowing the EU and others to show what they are prepared to do in these circumstances is a good thing. I simply hope that there are civilians left alive when action is actually followed through with.

Yes, I do think it will be used against Obama. Personally I wouldn't.

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 19, 2011

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
This just in:
:foxnews: KENYAN HUSSEIN OBAMA IS LYBIAN QADHAFIS SON :foxnews:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Pureauthor posted:

Isn't he attacking a city? Like, right now?

Zintan and Misrata are apparently under attack. I believe the Benghazi attack was repelled by the rebels.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So they are flying without taking out the air defenses first? That seems pretty dangerous.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Spiky Ooze posted:

Not really a question, they use everything against Obama regardless of what it is. Healthcare? NOT IN MY COUNTRY, rear end in a top hat.
No, because this comes on the heels of a very hawkish UN resolution which I think even neocons didn't dream they'd get. They won't attack Obama on a foreign relations issue on which they agree in all substantive points, not when it means taking Qaddafi at face value, an act antithetical to their position that Qaddafi is a rabid dog that needs to be put down.

cioxx
Jul 14, 2001

Darth123123 posted:

So they are flying without taking out the air defenses first? That seems pretty dangerous.

If they shoot down a single plane they'll probably give the NFZ enforcers to carpet bomb Gaddafi's installations.

The conspiracy theorist in me says that's exactly what they're going for.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

cioxx posted:

If they shoot down a single plane they'll probably give the NFZ enforcers to carpet bomb Gaddafi's installations.

They should have a drone with a warhead attached fly over his building, fake being shot down, crashing into Gaddafi, and leveling the place.

Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Recreation of current actions being taken by security council: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFufoOgCMW8&feature=related

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 19, 2011

cioxx
Jul 14, 2001

quote:

@CBSNews: President Obama: "The people of #Libya must be protected."

Obama should get a Peabody for that deep insight.

dogmaan
Sep 13, 2007

cioxx posted:

If an S-200 site fires on a european plane, that site would be instantly pounded to poo poo.

It wouldn't surprise me if the operators had turned off their search radars, just so they aren't fired on by HARM's.

Ramms+ein
Nov 11, 2003
Henshin-a-go-go, baby!

Amused to Death posted:

Also kalonji let me see if I understand your position correctly, since we can't help everyone all the time, when the political conditions give us the chance to do the right thing for once for some people we shouldn't do it? Alright got it.

Not his argument at all (as far as I can tell). I can definitely see the justification for using our military assets against Qaddaafi's, I would just like it to be done in a way that acknowledges that it's politically very easy and takes little courage to attack and invade pariah states, while we would never do something like that to extremely similar and equally brutal dictators who are our allies.

Fine by me if we can destroy his military and help the people of Benghazi buy some time, but just don't try to paint it as though it's some humanitarian mission that we're undertaking because we heart human rights.

Killing people is a serious issue that needs to be discussed rationally. We blew up 9 Afghan kids collecting firewood the other day, how many kids are going to be gathering firewood in Libya? If you call for a military intervention in any country, just do in a way that acknowledges that it is due to specific political and economic considerations that happen to allow it, and not because our government cares at all about human rights. If it did we wouldn't have made it a policy to prop up torturing and murdering dictators in the Middle East for decades.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

cioxx posted:

If they're currently just over / around Benghazi right now they probably aren't TOO concerned with AA - that whole area has been controlled by the rebels for weeks.

All the necessary Logistical, EW and Strike aircraft probably aren't in the air to start conducting SEAD yet. The British will probably be doing most of this considering they have all the Tornados.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
This thread has made me realize how completely disparate the militaries of the US are with the militaries of many of its allies, even solely in relative terms.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Pureauthor posted:

This thread has made me realize how completely disparate the militaries of the US are with the militaries of many of its allies any country in the world and/or most of them together, even solely in relative terms.

more like it. You guys spend a lot of money on pew pew

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Ramms+ein posted:

Not his argument at all (as far as I can tell). I can definitely see the justification for using our military assets against Qaddaafi's, I would just like it to be done in a way that acknowledges that it's politically very easy and takes little courage to attack and invade pariah states, while we would never do something like that to extremely similar and equally brutal dictators who are our allies.

Fine by me if we can destroy his military and help the people of Benghazi buy some time, but just don't try to paint it as though it's some humanitarian mission that we're undertaking because we heart human rights.

Killing people is a serious issue that needs to be discussed rationally. We blew up 9 Afghan kids collecting firewood the other day, how many kids are going to be gathering firewood in Libya? If you call for a military intervention in any country, just do in a way that acknowledges that it is due to specific political and economic considerations that happen to allow it, and not because our government cares at all about human rights. If it did we wouldn't have made it a policy to prop up torturing and murdering dictators in the Middle East for decades.
I'm not sure what anyone gains from being "honest" except lots of hand-wringing dissertations on the ambiguity of international politics written by people who don't, you know, actually make these sort of decisions. Bad things happen to civilians in any armed conflict, yes, but I'm prreettttyy sure the possibility of shooting these hypothetical kids around Tripoli has been judged somewhat less pressing than the certainty of Qaddafi shelling whole towns without regard to combatants/non-combatants.

If you want to make a deeper analysis on the civilian toll of intervening versus not, or the moral cost of being selective in backing revolutions, by all means do so. But this is a very superficial and shallow argument that really does state the basic "we can't act like non-hypocrites so we should just cry in a corner lamenting" theme that's been pretty prevalent.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
AJ: French say they have started firing on ground targets.

Sereniel
May 4, 2004

The human race is faced with a cruel choice: work or daytime television.

cioxx posted:

Obama should get a Peabody for that deep insight.
Question
Is it possible to win the Nobel Peace Prize two times?

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Sereniel posted:

Question
Is it possible to win the Nobel Peace Prize two times?

Well he still has to earn the first one.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Thundarr posted:

I thought that historically Russia and China have only issued vetos in matters they considered to be directly within their spheres of influence? In other words, they probably don't passively approve of the action, they just don't want to have anything to do with it one way or the other.

China in particular is trying to do deals with African governments to get cheap access to raw materials for their heavy industry. One way they do that is by saying 'hey, we can cut you aid deals without all that human rights crap', and one way they can show African dictators that they'll live up to the deal is by, e.g., vetoing resolutions against Mugabe.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

BBC BREAKING NEWS The French Defence Ministry has announced that a French fighter jet has fired its first shot at a military vehicle at 16:45 GMT. The French Defence Ministry has also stated that 20 fighter jets are currently involved in operations to enforce the no-fly zone. France will send an aircraft carrier to Libya, the French defence ministry has told AFP.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Light-headed Fool posted:

Don't be so loving naive. No nations does anything that is beyond their interest.

Well, maybe a few times things are done without particular regards to a nation's own interest, but yes most of the time you need something to be BOTH the right thing to do AND in the nation's interest. The UK PM made this exact point in the House of Commons yesterday: It's both the morally right thing to do, and in the UK's national interest. Perhaps they should intervene other places too, but getting involved in a few places is better than nowhere.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
BBC 1718: Talking about the first shot by a French aircraft on a Libyan military vehicle, French defence ministry spokesman Laurent Teisseire told reporters: "A first target was engaged and destroyed." An armed forces spokesman told the same briefing the operation to halt Colonel Gaddafi's advance on rebel forces involved around 20 planes and an area 100 km by 150 km (60 by 100 miles) around the eastern rebel stronghold of Benghazi. France's Charles de Gaulle aircraft carrier will leave France for Libya on Sunday, the spokesman added. A central command centre for the operation was still being set up.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

KingColliwog posted:

gently caress new page.

FreeRepublic is... on the job!

Barack Obama is a Muslim, says Libya's Qadhafi..lol (he liked his Muslim brother back in 2008)

On the far right, "hell yeah, killin' brown people" has slightly outweighed "hey, why are we spending blood and treasure helping sand-monkeys?". Plus Obama's lack of drive on the issue gives them an awesome chance to call him a dove, so they're getting posts like this:

Libya: Obama's No-Guts Zone
Obama: We’re Going To War With Libya…Well, Kinda Sorta

I imagine most of Free Republic doing an anguished pee-pee dance trying to figure out whether to back this for the sake of Hawkism, killing Reagan-era villain Mad Dog Qaddaffi, and making Obama look like a pansy, or whether to keep out of it in the name of fiscal conservatism, not helping a bunch of Islamacist Ay-rabs, and not being part of "US OUT OF UN!!!". The cognitive dissonance is causing a thermal uptick across Alabama.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 19, 2011

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

I like how they make it sound like France has more than one carrier.

At least they'll finally get some use out of the DeGaulle

Tarnek
Nov 4, 2009
I hope they're bombing the tanks and artillery outside of Benghazi. Hope they don't forget about the western parts of the country though, Misarata has been pounded the latest days.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009
Can we pick one way of spelling gaddafi's name and stick to it?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Obviously Moamer Khaddaffi is the superior spelling.

That guy they have on BBC right now is so loving smug.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Thomase posted:

Qadaffy Duck.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

more like it. You guys spend a lot of money on pew pew

Yuuuup.

OhGodMyFeet
Mar 11, 2009

Thomase posted:

Raymond Luxury-Yacht.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyQvjKqXA0Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Thomase posted:

Unless you are writting it in Arabic there's a lot of ways you can spell it.

• Locked thread