Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamsque
May 31, 2009

goatface posted:

Wales could win the 6 nations in this game, that poo poo is SERIOUS.

For real, who cares about Libya, we might get to see England go from having the grand slam in their sights to losing the whole tournament in the space of a few hours!

On a slightly more on-topic note, anyone know anywhere Sarko's speech is being streamed? I kinda expected it to be on AJE but they are showing old Japanese people in school halls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Vir posted:

Since he's reportedly busing in human shields to protect him, I don't think taking ol' crazy out - whether by Tomahawk or special forces team - is that easy. Easier to take out his tanks, planes and artillery.

We probably already have the technology required for a UAV sniper system - you'd only have to locate a golf cart surrounded by a mob in Tripoli and take one shot.

By the way, it's not exactly true that western powers never would try to kill a foreign leader when there isn't a war. In 1986 the US were very close to succeeding:

quote:

Forewarned by both Maltese Prime Minister Karmenu Mifsud Bonnici and Italian Prime Minister Bettino Craxi that unauthorized aircraft were flying over Maltese airspace heading south towards Tripoli, Gaddafi and his family rushed out of their residence in the compound moments before the bombs dropped from thirteen U.S. Air Force planes. Gaddafi escaped injury, but he claimed his fifteen-month-old adopted daughter Hanna was killed and that two of his sons were injured. These claims have been disputed, with some claiming that Hanna was a fabrication created for propaganda purposes.
But it's unlikely that France and Britain would try to bomb Gaddafi - UN hasn't mandated them to do anything other than protect civilians, and they don't have a current personal beef with Gaddafi like USA did in the 1980's. There would be civilian losses and little guarantee of hitting Gaddafi himself, so it's not worth it.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Jamsque posted:

For real, who cares about Libya, we might get to see England go from having the grand slam in their sights to losing the whole tournament in the space of a few hours!

It's okay, there's rumor of a UN resolution to create a no fly zone over the Irish side.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

ibroxmassive posted:

I doubt they have, but it's a general warning.

goatface posted:

Gaddafi's forces have been stopping humanitarian aid reaching civilians in rebel occupied cities, I imagine it's related to that.

Yeah, I figured it was aimed at Gaddafi, it was just the "all sides" bit that confused me. I guess they're probably just issuing a blanket statement since the rebels are above using human shields, and I can't see the rebels keeping the wounded from treatment since they've been treating anyone and everyone who's been injured, regardless of what side they're on.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

Mr. Mambo posted:

It's like scriptable..

Sarah Palin (or one of her evil sisters) will make a lame cackle about how the French are more military-ready than Obama.
Cue uproarious chortling sounds from the U.S.idiot-factor.

"This isn't Team America World Police, Sarah, and as the U.S. president I have to carefully weigh decisions in which our forces are deployed. You do want to see your son come home again, right? Because if we keep intervening in every worldwide conflict, a lot of mothers and fathers will never get a chance to see their sons and daughters again. War kills, Sarah, and our servicemen and women will be among those dead if we put them in harms way..."

or, better yet

"I don't concern myself with anything Sarah Palin has to say."

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

My recent favourite tweets:

quote:

BREAKING NEWS: All of Gaddafi's snipers terrorizing people in Misurata's "Benghazi street" over the last week have been kicked out. #libya

quote:

And by "kicked out" I mean kicked out of this world once and for all.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
http://www.livestream.com/libya17feb

Reports:

cruise missiles launched from US subs
explosions near Tripoli
french planes over Misrata

Of course it's a rebel propaganda stream so take with grain of salt.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Reports:

Just heard the same on MSNBC, that those 3 subs are launching Tomahawks

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

The eyes can mislead, a smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth.
Sky News seconds explosions in Tripoli and claims Fox News seconds US cruise missiles. Hard to make out specifics, they had a bad line with their reporter.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

http://www.livestream.com/libya17feb

Reports:

explosions near Tripoli
french planes over Misrata

From AJE:

quote:

AFP reports that loud blasts have been heard east of the Tripoli, according to witnesses. It is not immediately clear what caused the blasts.

Arzy
Apr 17, 2003

You are the Dragonborn, Ride forth to your Destiny
About time the US gets involved, what loving planet do we live on where the French are the first into combat.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

I love the line everyone is walking to try and no say the goal of this is Ghaddaffi's ouster when it is so clearly the only reasonable endgame for Free Libya and the coalition.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

Nenonen posted:

We probably already have the technology required for a UAV sniper system - you'd only have to locate a golf cart surrounded by a mob in Tripoli and take one shot.

You know, that would send quite the message to despotic lunatics all over the world - you can run and hide and human shield yourself to your heart's content, but if you give us the will and the reason, we can still get you no matter where you go.

Especially if it was him that was killed and no one else was even scratched.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
Well there goes the AA sites

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Some other Twitter reports:

quote:

Reports French Jets may now be over the city of Misrata which has experianced heavy shelling yesterday and today

quote:

BREAKING: Gaddafi forces moving from base around #Misrata, Zarroog area shelled.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
US about to gently caress poo poo up. All this cruise missile talk is giving me a boner.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I have to echo this from Twitter:

quote:

I never imagined a day will come when I anxiously await US bombs to fall over an Arab country. drat you #Gaddafi.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Arzy posted:

About time the US gets involved, what loving planet do we live on where the French are the first into combat.

Welcome to Erf

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More from Twitter:

quote:

Manara receives a phone call: French Jets bomb Gaddafi base, All city is now on the streets celebrating her freedom also #Libya
That's referring to Misarata.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 19, 2011

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

Cruise missiles feels a little crude to be honest. If we're only dealing with SA-5/6 in small and badly maintained numbers, and the odd ZPU, SLAMMERS could have done the job with a smaller risk of collateral.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Arzy posted:

A world where the French aren't the clumsy pantomime fools you seem to assume they are?

Sargs
Aug 15, 2001

Poyekhali!

Arzy posted:

The same one where the Americans are usually the last. :smug:

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Stroh M.D. posted:

Cruise missiles feels a little crude to be honest. If we're only dealing with SA-5/6 in small and badly maintained numbers, and the odd ZPU, SLAMMERS could have done the job with a smaller risk of collateral.

We can't say what they've specifically targeted, but I hope they are trying to minimize those risks.

There should be a pentagon briefing soon.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

Sargs posted:

The same one where the Americans are usually the last. :smug:

:drat:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Arzy posted:

One where the UN found its balls to actually do the right thing without the United States being the primary military force. It's nice to see.

Priapist
Aug 10, 2002

Heeeere's Herbie!

Stroh M.D. posted:

There's more to Libya's air defense than that. They're likely targeting the control nexus: air defense command and control and radar installations. The missile sites themselves are secondary.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Cameron speaking, fighting urge to punch him in the face.

Just a quick comment stressing this is just, legal and right, thoughts with the military families.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

farraday posted:

Cameron speaking, fighting urge to punch him in the face.

It's ok, once the civil war starts we'll get a UN no-fly zone set up and international aid while we drive him out.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's some Twitter account worth tracking at the moment:
http://twitter.com/shabablibya
http://twitter.com/LibyanDictator
http://twitter.com/iyad_elbaghdadi
http://twitter.com/LibyaNewMedia

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

Priapist posted:

There's more to Libya's air defense than that. They're likely targeting the control nexus: air defense command and control and radar installations. The missile sites themselves are secondary.

SA-5/6s are pretty self-contained. They are pretty much designed to continue operation even without a line to higher command structures (especially if said structures have been vaporized), but I guess that depends on the Libyan air defense doctrine.

Admittedly, that would be information not available to us.

black josh
Oct 5, 2008

I bet my finger monkey can beat up your finger monkey.
AJ: US has launched cruise missiles.

CJSwiss
Mar 16, 2008
According to MSNBC, the Pentagon's labeling this "Operation Odyssey Dawn".

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's some live blogs worth looking at too:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12776418
http://www.libyafeb17.com/2011/03/march-19-updates/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/mar/19/libya-live-blog-ceasefire-nofly
http://blogs.aljazeera.net/live/africa/libya-live-blog-march-19

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Brown Moses posted:

My recent favourite tweets:

Wow, the Libyan rebels got an action movie hero to write their tweets.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I hope we try to avoid taking out infrastructure that we will be required to rebuild over the next ten years.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Pentagon: Strikes on integrated air defense and air bases along the coast.

Us is taking command and control until coalition forces.

Operational control in African command under Gen Hamm(?). Tactical control on the USS Mount Whitney.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

CJSwiss posted:

Sounds like the name of an three-part sci-fi anime epic re-telling the story of the Iliad with the role of Odysseus assumed by a twelve-year-old catgirl.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Apparently the only major target east of Tripoli where the loud explosion are is Mitiga airbase.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CJSwiss posted:

After Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom, this is a refreshingly jibberish code name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

CJSwiss posted:

Ha, wonderful! I was waiting for a cool label - guess you can depend on the yanks to provide.

This might very well prove to be the greatest american contribution to the conflict :patriot:

• Locked thread