Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
e: oops, post instead of edit.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Just noticed the triceratops :stare: how does that thing eat?

Looks like another ripoff-of the war elephant things from LOTR. This is worse than the poorly photoshopped DVD covers in bootleg shops.

Gustavus
May 27, 2008

Lock up your sons and daughters.

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Triceratops were herbivores, right? So, I guess just massive trees or something.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Fledgling Gulps posted:

The Force, obviously.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I will never get tired of posting this.

So... they still have lightsabers and lasers and poo poo but there are still guys fighting with spears and shields? Couldn't they at least give the spear guys lightspears or something?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

muscles like this? posted:

So... they still have lightsabers and lasers and poo poo but there are still guys fighting with spears and shields? Couldn't they at least give the spear guys lightspears or something?

Lightspears? Don't be silly, there's just lightsabers. It's not like you can make the weapon into just anyth--

:stare:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

muscles like this? posted:

If this is the Old Republic stuff lightsabers were bulky and a liability. They had a battery pack the size of a car battery. Let alone the poo poo that cord would end up doing in the middle of a fight.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ZeeToo posted:

Lightspears? Don't be silly, there's just lightsabers. It's not like you can make the weapon into just anyth--

:stare:

What the hell? The potential to harm yourself with a regular lightsaber is already pretty big, a light-whip is outright suicidal.

God, the EU sucks.

GodlessCommie
Apr 4, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not only that but how would you even block another lightsaber?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
You don't, all possible opponents will just sit back and watch while you fillet yourself with your stupid lazerwhip.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Instead of bombing runs, Y-wings should just hang really long laserwhips and scrape along the ground.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
The death star should have just been a big laser-hairy ball :cthulhu:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I will never get tired of posting this.

This is the Jedi vs. Sith comic in a nutshell.

Well, there's the children suffering psychological trauma.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Der Luftwaffle posted:

The death star should have just been a big laser-hairy ball :cthulhu:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Torpedo_Sphere

quote:

The main weaponry of each Torpedo Sphere consisted of 500 proton torpedo tubes and 100 turbolaser batteries, organized around the ship's equator...Only 50 torpedo tubes could be recalibrated at a time to acquire starship-sized targets.
:ughh:

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

To be fair, that would be a legitimately useful military spaceship. It just looks retarded.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

What the hell? The potential to harm yourself with a regular lightsaber is already pretty big, a light-whip is outright suicidal.

God, the EU sucks.
What's hilarious is the lightwhip was one of those things that they should have pretended never happened, but got dredged up to make LOTF all that much worse. LOTF is pretty much entirely comprised of poo poo that should have been glossed over and forgotten.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Slantedfloors posted:

To be fair, that would be a legitimately useful military spaceship. It just looks retarded.

It seems like it, but the fact that it can only target 10% of its torpedo tubes at any one time seems to be a pretty obvious design flaw.

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

Mooktastical posted:

It seems like it, but the fact that it can only target 10% of its torpedo tubes at any one time seems to be a pretty obvious design flaw.

Whether it's a design flaw really depends on nature of the 10% limitation. If the computers just can't target with more than a tenth of its weapons at once, then that is pretty terrible. If it's a positional thing with torpedos aimed in all directions, then we're talking death blossom levels of deadly.

EDIT: The article doesn't seem to say one way or the other, but it does have their intended purpose. They fire everything they have at a single weak spot in planetary shields to open a hole for a few microseconds. Hugely wasteful and unhelpful, really, and it implies that the computers were just bad at aiming at moving targets.

Astribulus fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 21, 2011

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Mooktastical posted:

It says that it can only use 10% of its torpedos against starships, but that its primary focus was shooting planet shields, so it could use all its gun on the planet shields I guess.

Its like a cannon back in the day. You can line the cannon up against a fort, but if infantry attack the cannon it's going to be hard to hit them with a cannonball.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Astribulus posted:

EDIT: The article doesn't seem to say one way or the other, but it does have their intended purpose. They fire everything they have at a single weak spot in planetary shields to open a hole for a few microseconds. Hugely wasteful and unhelpful, really, and it implies that the computers were just bad at aiming at moving targets.

It looks more like it the weapons are located on the equator, meaning it can't fire more than 10% of them at one target just because they're not all pointed in the same direction. Presumably it rotates to bring fresh torpedo tubes into position.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Slantedfloors posted:

It looks more like it the weapons are located on the equator, meaning it can't fire more than 10% of them at one target just because they're not all pointed in the same direction. Presumably it rotates to bring fresh torpedo tubes into position.

It looks more like it's not an actual weapon, meaning it's creators can give it whatever limitations they want.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

A Typical Goon posted:

It looks more like it's not an actual weapon, meaning it's creators can give it whatever limitations they want.
Trying to figure out the logistics and the thought behind retarded Star Wars crap is half the fun of being a Star Wars fan.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

What's hilarious is the lightwhip was one of those things that they should have pretended never happened, but got dredged up to make LOTF all that much worse. LOTF is pretty much entirely comprised of poo poo that should have been glossed over and forgotten.

For me the worst part of LOTF was that it was originally going to be a 9-book series set around the KOTOR games, but then got shifted to cover the movie characters because they thought it would sell more.

The writing staff might have been just as terrible but I feel without constantly shoehorning in terrible movie references/rehashes and dealing with their beloved OT-era pet characters it would have been at least somewhat better. At the least we would have been spared Jacen's terrible, embarrassing storyline and everything that entailed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm still waiting for a canon explanation for why Lando pronounces Han's name like hand minus the d.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm still waiting for a canon explanation for why Lando pronounces Han's name like hand minus the d.

Because he's the only black man in Star Wars.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

MichiganCubbie posted:

Because he's the only black man in Star Wars.

:colbert: You were saying?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Slantedfloors posted:

:colbert: You were saying?
How does it feel to make light of this man and his sacrifice MichiganCubbie, how does it feel?!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Does the black X-Wing pilot have a massive back story on wookieepedia?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He sure does!

He's an idealist who wants to make his homeworld of Devaron and peaceful multispecies utopia, joins the Rebellion, goes crazy after an accident, is reassigned to be a poo poo-hauler (no really, poo poo), then get re-activated for Endor and dies a hard-bitten cynic who's never found happiness.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Depends on how you define "massive", but yes. His name is Grizz Frix.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Slantedfloors posted:

He sure does!

He's an idealist who wants to make his homeworld of Devaron and peaceful multispecies utopia, joins the Rebellion, goes crazy after an accident, is reassigned to be a poo poo-hauler (no really, poo poo), then get re-activated for Endor and dies a hard-bitten cynic who's never found happiness.

I'm curious, what about the asian Y-Wing Gold leader and A-Wing dude who crashed into the bridge of the Executor?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm curious, what about the asian Y-Wing Gold leader and A-Wing dude who crashed into the bridge of the Executor?

Now I KNOW he has a backstory. But I forget his name.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Now I KNOW he has a backstory. But I forget his name.

Arvel Crynyd or something to that effect. Why do I know that?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I can't find anything on the first guy; "Gold Leader" seems to be Lando, according to Wookieepedia, and I can't see anything on any other Gold Group members... so I guess he doesn't exist?

Arvel Crynyd (NGL remembered correctly) seems to not have a background beyond his actions over Endor.

This has gotta be the only place in the whole OT that has any characters who haven't been defined and given backstory, adventures, and Force sensitivity.

Everyone's Force sensitive, it seems. That Y-wing pilot who survived the Battle of Yavin? Apparently, according to Wookiee.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Slantedfloors posted:

He sure does!

This makes sense when you consider that his backstory was actually written by a Wookieepedia member. A lot of the minor background characters with ridiculously detailed biographies were written by members of Wookieepedia and/or TheForce.Net through a feature the Star Wars website used to have where users could submit entries for random characters, ships, etc.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

Everyone's Force sensitive, it seems. That Y-wing pilot who survived the Battle of Yavin? Apparently, according to Wookiee.
This actually somewhat makes sense, considering that he's the player in X-Wing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What about how in the Death Star briefing in ANH the guy in charge pronounces Leia's name wrong? He calls her Lee-A.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

And doesn't Alec Guinness pronounce Obi-Wan strangely? Maybe alternate pronunciations are acceptable in the Star Wars universe.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DorianGravy posted:

And doesn't Alec Guinness pronounce Obi-Wan strangely? Maybe alternate pronunciations are acceptable in the Star Wars universe.

The Galaxy is a big place. I'm sure there are regional accents/local variations on names in Basic. Or knowing the EU, they were subtle information about how we could know they were spies/good guys/involved in stealing the Death Star plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Speak Galactic Basic or get out!