Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Zintan

quote:

Fighting in the western city of Zintan, near the border with Tunisia, has now subsided, an eyewitness has told BBC Arabic. The witness, Abdul, said: "Right now, it is calmer than it was in the morning, when there was fighting and shelling in the east of the city. Those Gaddafi forces have now withdrawn. However, 50 to 60 tanks have massed at the northern entrance to the city. Gaddafi's forces have also cut off the electricity."
I hope tonight there's a lot of airstrikes in Zintan, and lots of burning tanks in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Brown Moses posted:

Opposition to the no fly zone is being protested:
They should be anti-Putin protests. Even better would be if the pro-Gaddafi protests had some pro-Putin posters in them.

Putin isn't a total moron - not by a long shot - but this recent statement might have been an honest to goodness brainfart from his side. He has a history of making Sarah Palin'esque statements from time to time. You might remember one of these being that Putin thought Bush had fired Dan Rather, when Rather still wasn't fired, and it was CBS who eventually removed him from 60 Minutes.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Ajdabiya

quote:

BREAKING
13 Gaddafi tanks have surrendered to the revolutionaries in western entrance to Ajdabiya
That's from LibyaFeb17.com, so take it with a pinch of salt.
Benghazi

quote:

Western warplanes attacked a military aircraft belonging to Muammar Gaddafi's armed forces that was flying towards the rebel-held city of Benghazi.

Tarnek
Nov 4, 2009

Slantedfloors posted:

Most of the governments opposed to the NFZ are authoritarian dictatorships. They don't give a poo poo about their own people, why the gently caress would they care what a bunch of Libyans want?

It's not like I trust these claims. They just want to bash the western powers "CRUSADERS!" (Russia - Putin) or keep their backs free in case the intervention gets very violent or outdrawn (Germany).

Or, worst of all, they don't want these kinds of interventions to become accepted in case they themselves will have to brutally opress protestors against their own regime (Most of them I guess).

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

americanmilitary.txt

quote:

Six villagers in a field on the outskirts of Benghazi were shot and injured when a US helicopter landed to rescue a crew member from the crashed jet, reports Lindsey Hilsum.
Libya: Gaddafi troops target west, airstrikes focus on east - Reuters

Channel 4 News International Editor, Lindsey Hilsum, says that the villagers were shot when a US helicopter picked up the pilot who had ejected from the F-15E Eagle plane after it experienced a mechanical failure.

The US aircraft crashed on Monday night and was found in a field outside Benghazi and landed in rebel-held territory.

The local Libyans who were injured in the rescue mission are currently in hospital. They are the first confirmed casualities of allied operations, almost four days after operations began. At the time of writing, no one had died as a result of the gunfire.

Lindsey Hilsum has been in the hospital where some of the injured were taken. She has spoken to the father of a young boy who expects to have his leg amputated due to a bullet wound.

Gauging the reaction of locals in the area, she said: "the local Libyans do not seem resentful, they still want the coalition forces to keep operating."

Both crew members ejected and have now been flown out of Libya by US personel, according to a US military spokesman.

He said the crash was "not due to enemy or hostile actions."

The pilot and a weapons officer were aboard the fighter jet, having set off from from Aviano Air Base in Italy. On experiencing the mechanical difficulties, both pilots ejected safely, but suffered minor injuries.

The pilot was rescued by the US helicopter soon after crash landing and opposition rebels recovered the weapons officer, taking "took good care of him" before coalition forces picked him up some time later.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Brown Moses posted:

americanmilitary.txt

This is pretty much exactly why US involvement should be minimal.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
I know this might sound a bit reactionary to the situation, but does anyone else see this as a possible WW3 scenario?

Almost the entire Middle East is in some form of conflict, Russian leaders are fractured, China is starting to weigh in heavily. Pretty scary if you ask me.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

DeclaredYuppie posted:

Agreed- I don't necessarily think we're getting into Iraq/Afganistan 2.0 (3.0?) in Lybia, although it's a possible outcome.

Also I think we'd agree that it's important to caution that an agreement between various factions in Libya that they don't like Qadaffi doesn't necessarily mean they'll agree about much else once a new government needs to be finalized and decisions about who is in charge of what is divvied up.
Yes, I doubt we'll end up with Westminster in Tripoli, but I have cautious optimism in that we'll see it more like the baby steps Eastern Europe took towards democracy which ended up being much more stable than Lebanon's sectarian paralysis. The problems facing Libya are less intractable, and oil wealth if it's spread out even a tiny bit more equitably than now where it's held by a small coterie of Qadaffi's family and supporters, can go a very, very long way towards purchasing tranquility. But I'll admit that's more an article of faith than well-researched analysis.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Vir posted:

They should be anti-Putin protests. Even better would be if the pro-Gaddafi protests had some pro-Putin posters in them.

Putin isn't a total moron - not by a long shot - but this recent statement might have been an honest to goodness brainfart from his side. He has a history of making Sarah Palin'esque statements from time to time. You might remember one of these being that Putin thought Bush had fired Dan Rather, when Rather still wasn't fired, and it was CBS who eventually removed him from 60 Minutes.

Are you kidding me? He gets to play the great Russian patriot in front of his own people while his lapdog quietly acquiesces to world opinion. It's a win-win situation for him.

ODC posted:

I know this might sound a bit reactionary to the situation, but does anyone else see this as a possible WW3 scenario?

Almost the entire Middle East is in some form of conflict, Russian leaders are fractured, China is starting to weigh in heavily. Pretty scary if you ask me.

Uh, no.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

ODC posted:

WW3 over what? Splintered Arabic states in revolt? China has far too much money invested across the world to want to lose it all fighting a pointless war over some other countries.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

ODC posted:

Don't be dumb.

The likelihood of WW3 to start over the current ME situation is as unlikely as...I can't even think of something that unlikely. Giraffes gaining the power of speech and seizing control of Brazil (for the trees), maybe.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 22, 2011

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Vir posted:

Yes it might. After Rwanda, Bosnia and Somalia, the "responsibility to protect" has been incorporated in international law to make the world responsible to intervene in these kinds of situations in what is otherwise thought of as internal issues.

A more important strategic consideration is its location. The guy should look at a map. If the oil was the motivation, then the US would have vetoed intervention to keep Gaddafi happy and the oil flowing.

I thought it just made politicians even more reluctant to talk of "genocide" when they don't want to get involved (see sudan).

Look, its ok to admit that European countries don't like a madman controlling a country in Europe's soft underbelly. And that things would go smoother if a major source of oil for Europe was under much more friendly control. I just wish that wouldn't mean us spending billions of dollars (yet again). How's all that bailout money we sent to you all through AIG working out for you? Care to share anything so that we can get some health care as well?

killing_fields
Jan 31, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

americanmilitary.txt

Haha Americans. Wounding locals even on rescue missions in mostly secure territory. I'm surprised they didn't just land the Blackhawk right on top of the guys house to soften the landing. Why would they even strafe the ground, according the earlier article?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Are you kidding me? He gets to play the great Russian patriot in front of his own people while his lapdog quietly acquiesces to world opinion. It's a win-win situation for him.

It also lets them pretend that Medvedev isn't completely under Putin's control.

You'd think that Russia would be fine with the NFZ keeping the fighting going, which keeps the price of oil high.

killing_fields
Jan 31, 2009

el samayo grande posted:

It also lets them pretend that Medvedev isn't completely under Putin's control.

You'd think that Russia would be fine with the NFZ keeping the fighting going, which keeps the price of oil high.

I'm pretty sure Russia doesn't give a gently caress about any of this and is just covering it's bases.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

The Yugoslav Wars were much closer to WW3 scenarios because there was a danger that Russia could have gotten real mad on behalf of its Serbian allies instead of bowing out, but in reality it wasn't really that close and the Russian military at the time was such a mess (and still is, to a lesser but still major extent) that it's ability to wage war was almost nil, and no one's going to fire nukes over Banja loving Luka.

And China isn't stupid. It's determined to be an economic hegemon, not a military one.

Zappatista
Oct 28, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

ODC posted:

Maybe should something truly inciting happen (like Israeli jets bombing Iranian nuclear enrichment facilities)...but as for now no.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ODC posted:

Stop watching Glenn Beck immediately.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp

ODC posted:

VERY unlikely.

But as we are seeing in the last few months, unlikely things are happening every day.

LO Technology
Mar 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Slantedfloors posted:

Don't be dumb.

The likelihood of WW3 to start over the current ME situation is as unlikely as...I can't even think of something that unlikely. Giraffes gaining the power of speech and seizing control of Brazil (for the trees), maybe.

Being a giraffe I find your attitude a tad offending.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

killing_fields posted:

Haha Americans. Wounding locals even on rescue missions in mostly secure territory. I'm surprised they didn't just land the Blackhawk right on top of the guys house to soften the landing. Why would they even strafe the ground, according the earlier article?

To tell the impossible to identify persons, probably with AKs, to get the gently caress back? But actually shooting at people versus warning shots was an obvious mistake of enormous magnitude.

killing_fields
Jan 31, 2009

Darth123123 posted:

To tell the impossible to identify persons, probably with AKs, to get the gently caress back? But actually shooting at people versus warning shots was an obvious mistake of enormous magnitude.

I don't think many of the rebels have many AKs, do you have other support for that? In the video they take of the downed jet, none of the men there even have weapons at all.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Baddog posted:

I thought it just made politicians even more reluctant to talk of "genocide" when they don't want to get involved (see sudan).

Look, its ok to admit that European countries don't like a madman controlling a country in Europe's soft underbelly. And that things would go smoother if a major source of oil for Europe was under much more friendly control. I just wish that wouldn't mean us spending billions of dollars (yet again). How's all that bailout money we sent to you all through AIG working out for you? Care to share anything so that we can get some health care as well?
If we're going to play the Realpolitik card, at least pretend to know that the status quo would have been preferable in every strategic way given the uncertainty involved in any regime change. Basically you're asking that we did this solely out of our selfish needs by trading a stable, known quantity largely aligned with our economic interests for an uncertain rabble shooting up a government from their office chairs.

Kissinger would be aghast at such sloppy geopolitical calculations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Slantedfloors posted:

Don't be dumb.

The path is clear, we must implement a NFZ to liberate the oppressed birds.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Slantedfloors posted:

Don't be dumb.

Not as unlikely as you might think Sir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCRgS9vI6Ak#t=58

Baddog
May 12, 2001

kw0134 posted:

a stable, known quantity largely aligned with our economic interests

mmm hmmmm

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

killing_fields posted:

I don't think many of the rebels have many AKs, do you have other support for that? In the video they take of the downed jet, none of the men there even have weapons at all.

I'm not military expert, but really? What would be the most likely small arms they use?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8364485/Libya-a-peasants-revolt-with-AK-47s.html

And the video is most likely not at the same time, and at some distance away from where the pilot rescue occured. They ejected at high altitude.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

ODC posted:

Middle East: These leaders have no-one on their side, at the worst every one of these countries would be replaced by a junta and the world keeps turning

Russia: Putin says the popular anti-western thing for more points from his people while Medvedev holds the official stance the country needs to maintain to keep up the international points

China: Why does everyone think that China is a threat to anyone? Their economy is entirely dependent upon the West, any conflict scenario and the West will stop purchasing from them and China will see mass starvation and internal collapse within months. Anyone can make the cheap poo poo they do, but only the West is buying it.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

killing_fields posted:

http://www.comcast.net/slideshow/news-latestimagesfromlibya/15/
Yes there are AK variants in wide use in Libya. Remember, they've bought a lot of weapons from the Soviet bloc during the years. They also have FN FAL assault rifles. You can't tell rebels and loyalists apart just by the weapons carried, because arms depots have been raided, forces have changed sides, and equipment is being seized all the time.

The images you saw were of curious onlookers. It's likely that rebel fighters were in the area to secure the pilots. But when the rescue choppers come, they have a hard time telling friend from foe, so the strafing is done to get everybody to keep out.

I think more people may have been injured by the rebels' happy shooting and blue-on-blue shooting than were injured by the US rescue - but it would be good if the US pilots could tell the rescuers that they're with friendlies so no need to shoot.

Vir fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 22, 2011

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Baddog posted:

mmm hmmmm
Are you saying Qadaffi wasn't happy to sell us all the oil we wanted at standard market rates, and that him reasserting control wouldn't have brought production online faster than said office-chair rebels? Because as far as I can tell, you have nothing to rebut with and are grasping for straws here

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

The only strategic allies and interests of the West that China can really threaten are Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, India, and Afghanistan. Of those, the first four would at the very least bloody China's nose real good in a straight-up slugfest on their own; and for the last one, they can have it. Please, China, take it!

But it's a moot point since it would go completely against their interests to do any of that.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

kw0134 posted:

Are you saying Qadaffi wasn't happy to sell us all the oil we wanted at standard market rates, and that him reasserting control wouldn't have brought production online faster than said office-chair rebels? Because as far as I can tell, you have nothing to rebut with and are grasping for straws here

Gadaffi is far from a stable guy and has sponsored people to kill Americans for the greater part of his reign. The only reason he sold oil at market price is because OPEC told him to, and because if he didn't he wouldn't make any money to fill his non-Swiss bank accounts with.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Competition posted:

China: Why does everyone think that China is a threat to anyone? Their economy is entirely dependent upon the West, any conflict scenario and the West will stop purchasing from them and China will see mass starvation and internal collapse within months. Anyone can make the cheap poo poo they do, but only the West is buying it.

Wouldn't the West's economy go belly up in turn if the Chinese import market suddenly closed?

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Wouldn't the West's economy go belly up in turn if the Chinese import market suddenly closed?

Sure, but China's would go faster, and the West can feed itself. Therein lies the problem, the two are hugely interconnected. War just isn't feasible.

Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot
Really, if anyone had an interest in Libya's oil it would be Italy, and they've pretty much pussed out since the beginning.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

He's done nothing to stop said flow of oil, grudgingly or not, and that he's had no indications whatsoever of changing course (being that, you know, he likes his oil revenue). If it was only about oil in our friend's completely simplistic view of things, why mess with something that's been well enough for a while?

Secondly, Qadaffi as recently as 2008 was held up as an example of a "reformed" Arab leader who can be a "partner" with the West. He went in and slammed a bunch of Al Qaida training camps within Libya, as an example. If our only intentions in the international politics world is purely about our strategic needs, we should have been screaming AL QAIDA AL QAIDA until Bengzhali was a crater and then promptly forgot the whole mess.

In any event, gambling that we get a more favorable government while we can deal with the truculent one we know of is simply bad strategic sense, if we're going by Baddog's particularly simplistic analysis.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Pureauthor posted:

It wouldn't have to be a sudden thing, it would be a difficult early couple of months establishing the new manufacturing bases but following that period things would carry on as normal (things might be slightly more expensive).

Hell part of this could be mitigated by bringing many of the jobs back to the West, some of this stuff is made over here just not in the same numbers, but within a week or two you could double your workforce and have the factories going 24/7 instead of just during the day.

Derailment: This is why I'm in favour of a fairtrade tax, have a list of ten essential workers rights and for every one which a country doesn't have gets them a 10% tax increase on products from their country. poo poo gets a little bit more expensive here but it retains jobs and builds sustainable economies around the world.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

kw0134 posted:

In any event, gambling that we get a more favorable government while we can deal with the truculent one we know of is simply bad strategic sense, if we're going by Baddog's particularly simplistic analysis.

While I think your point has merit (and I don't think oil played a huge role in the decision-making process), the problem is we don't know anything about what that government will look like. There's not a whole lot of political rhetoric coming from the rebels and what's there is disorganized and sporadic, much like the organization of the rebels themselves. We don't even know if we can achieve what you're saying we can achieve. There's just so many question marks, and I feel like the last time we went into a conflict with this many question marks, without visualizing the endgame, we ended up with Iraq.

HeroOfTheRevolution fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 22, 2011

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

The problem is we don't know anything about what that government will look like. There's not a whole lot of political rhetoric coming from the rebels and what's there is disorganized and sporadic, much like the organization of the rebels themselves. We don't even know if we can achieve what you're saying we can achieve. There's just so many question marks, and I feel like the last time we went into a conflict with this many question marks, without knowledge of the endgame, we ended up with Iraq.
That's the entire point! If this was purely for our own strategic posturing, why are we throwing away a known and semi-controllable leader for potential chaos? If we were supposedly only in it for cynical purposes the analysis wouldn't have gotten beyond that simple question, and Obama would be steering the conversation to Japan's woes.

The logical answer is that against strict rational sense, we let our ideals sway the decision, and we're going in because we feel it's the "right thing" to do. It may in time be a stupid decision, it may even turn out to have that cynical lining (of that I have no doubt), but it cannot be discounted that at some level there's an altruistic element in ramming the resolution through the UN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

The US joint task force commander, Admiral Samuel Locklear, somewhere in the Mediterranean is taking questions from reporters. In opening remarks, he said despite current coalition successes, Libyan forces are not yet in compliance with UN security council resolution 1973 because of continued Libyan government actions against civilians.

quote:

Locklear says he is aware that Gaddafi forces are attacking civilians in Misrata in contravention of the UN security council and that the coalition is "considering all options". It sounds like there have been no coalition attacks yet against those Gaddafi forces.

quote:

Locklear says the coalition is keeping a close eye on Gaddafi's 32nd brigade, considered his best troops. Most of them have been deployed close to Tripoli. He says the coalition won't have much trouble with Gaddafi's ageing air force.

quote:

Locklear says he expects Qatar planes to be up and flying by the weekend (See 1.15pm). Qatar is the first Arab League country to take part in operations in Libya.

I really hope this is a sign that Misrata will get some help soon.

• Locked thread