Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Competition posted:

Because half the people commenting on Syria are predicting some massive proxy war where Israel, Iran, Lebanon, Hezbollah, etc... will all pick a fraction and get them to duke it out, it betrays an utterly simplistic and lacking understanding of the country and the region. Syria quite frankly isn't diverse enough for these fractions to emerge, it has it's particular religious minority which holds power but is too small for an actual civil war to be sustained, even Libya isn't being called a civil war (yet) however it has far bigger ethnic divides and historical reasons behind the fractions we see (hint: go look up why Gaddaffi lost the East so totally).
That's just as simplistic, if not even more so. Qadaffi lost the east because he basically had no troops there, and what troops were there were deliberately undersupplied. He almost lost the west too, but since he kept his best and loyal troops close to the capital, massive protests in Tripoli were crushed forcibly before it could become the new Tahrir Square. Misurata is not far from Tripoli and it's being shelled constantly for its stanch anti-Qadaffi population. In short, this is a broad-based uprising that undercuts your simplified understanding of the situation.

quote:

I didn't claim there wasn't an element of foreign intervention, just that it didn't become this massive proxy war which people predicted which included Iran supporting the Shiites, Saudi the Sunnis, PKK the Kurds, along with a Turkish invasion, people were predicting an Islamic civil war which would spread throughout the Muslim world.
And I don't necessarily think this would happen either (like I disclaimed), but flatly going "no" is, well, simplified. Many things can happen, and most things won't come to pass. But ignoring the possibility because you're reading demographic figures off of wikipedia is not informed and nuanced analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

Based off what?

I think he mean's Gaddafi's government, I could be wrong and he means the Council, but expanding further on Benghazi it's also possible of a future thinking that 2 Libya's will the outcome to this whole conflict.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Oh yeah, see how my mind already thinks of the TNC as the government in Libya.

Bit of good news if it pans out

quote:

Coalition tells opposition forces it will secure safe passage for aid ships from Malta to Misrata to dock, according to Reuters. Reuters also quotes a member of the opposition as claiming a major success – killing 30 government snipers in Misrata. He also says that all Libyan government military vessels have abandoned the port.

There's a lot of trapped foreign workers at the port as well, so being able to delivery aid and rescue those workers will be a very good thing.

Ramms+ein
Nov 11, 2003
Henshin-a-go-go, baby!
Gaddaafi isn't the only one committing human rights abuses. We should expect this to continue.

quote:

But some of those same tactics appear to be creeping into the efforts of the opposition here as it seeks to stamp out lingering loyalty to Kadafi. Rebel forces are detaining anyone suspected of serving or assisting the Kadafi regime, locking them up in the same prisons once used to detain and torture Kadafi's opponents.

For a month, gangs of young gunmen have roamed the city, rousting Libyan blacks and immigrants from sub-Saharan Africa from their homes and holding them for interrogation as suspected mercenaries or government spies.

Over the last several days, the opposition has begun rounding up men accused of fighting as mercenaries for Kadafi's militias as government forces pushed toward Benghazi. It has launched nightly manhunts for about 8,000 people named as government operatives in secret police files seized after internal security operatives fled in the face of the rebellion that ended Kadafi's control of eastern Libya last month.

"We know who they are," said Abdelhafed Ghoga, the chief opposition spokesman. He called them "people with bloodstained hands" and "enemies of the revolution."

Any suspected Kadafi loyalist or spy who does not surrender, Ghoga warned, will face revolutionary "justice."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-libya-prisoners-20110324,0,5389027,full.story

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

piss posted:

It really sounds like the government has lost complete control of Benghazi.

Finally, something we can all agree on!

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

TheFallenEvincar posted:

It's funny that it took so long for me to lose faith in Michael Moore/Ralph Nader/Dennis Kucinich and see them as the loving attentionwhoring assholes who have no connection to the common people that they are. All it took was the slaughter of thousands of Libyans. At least I lost faith in Hugo Chavez ages ago.

Moore is the worst. Kucinich and Nader I think have a somewhat more principled approach to the world even if it's extreme. Moore just lobs PR bombs to get limelight and then runs away to the next issue. I mean just a couple weeks ago he was talking about a US middle class revolution because of Wisconsin... how did he follow that up... he didn't of course he ran to the next thing he could use for a limelight because the notion of backing up any of his words is far outside of his actual interests.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Nonsense posted:

I think he mean's Gaddafi's government, I could be wrong and he means the Council, but expanding further on Benghazi it's also possible of a future thinking that 2 Libya's will the outcome to this whole conflict.

I think it would be strange to call the transitional council the government.

I'm really not sure though how to take the comment since it is entirely accurate for anytime in the last month.

News from Yemen:

President Salah : Oh man those rebels, they so bad!

quote:

AlArabiya_Eng: Yemeni President Saleh: we will defend legitimacy and protect our land #alarabiya #Yemen #Saleh #Sanaa

AlArabiya_Eng: Yemeni President Saleh: opposition is trying to rob the deposits of the central bank #alarabiya #Yemen #Saleh #Sanaa

Meanwhile the WSJ is apparently claiming Saleh has almost struck a deal to resign.

Behind pay wall

quote:

Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh and the country's top general are hashing out a political settlement in which both men would resign from their positions within days in favor of a civilian-led transitional government, according to three people familiar with the situation.

True? Not True? Who knows!

Edit:

Maybe it is

quote:

AlArabiya_Eng: Yemeni President Saleh announces amnesty for military personnel who have defected to opposition #alarabiya #Yemen #Saleh #Sanaa

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ramms+ein posted:

Gaddaafi isn't the only one committing human rights abuses. We should expect this to continue.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-libya-prisoners-20110324,0,5389027,full.story

Yeah this was posted near the beginning of the uprising, and it was troubling then, and it must have been even more terrifying for blacks, and other foreigners in Libya these past recent weeks when the rebellion was suffering big setbacks.

This kind of behavior is also occuring in Bahrain, where Pakistani's, and other foreigners are being targeted by some really angry gangs/mobs. They're seen as "agents" brought in by the monarchy. While it is true the monarchy in Bahrain tried to bring as many Sunni's into the country as possible, the people being targeted are poor construction workers, and other laborers who don't have much money, or a means of being protected by police, as many had their passports stolen from them by their bosses as soon as they got work.

These kinds of stories should really inform people that blanket support is not always right, there are plenty of bad folk as well on all sides.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ramms+ein posted:

Yeah, this isn't unexpected - I mean, these guys literally do have people out to get them, and they were a day or two away from probably getting executed - but it's still not ok and will seriously poison future efforts to rebuild. The provisional government needs to get in there and ensure that this sort of thing stops quickly.

Ramms+ein
Nov 11, 2003
Henshin-a-go-go, baby!
Meanwhile, in Egypt, the courageous and moral Egyptian army continues to safeguard the people:

quote:

Female activists detained during the Egyptian army's evacuation of Tahrir Square on March 9 told human-rights organizations that they were beaten, tortured and forced to take virginity tests while in military custody.

Salwa Hosseini, 20, who was taken by soldiers to a military prison on the outskirts of Cairo, told Amnesty International that she and fellow female detainees were strip searched, photographed while naked and subjected to electric shocks. Hossein added that female guards warned the captured women they would be charged with prostitution if they didn't take medical tests to prove they were virgins.

quote:

The human-rights group alleges the tests were carried out by a male doctor and that one woman, who claimed to be virgin while tests proved otherwise, was beaten and given electric shocks.

"The army officers tried to further humiliate the women by allowing men to watch and photograph what was happening, with the implicit threat that the women could be at further risk of harm if the photographs were made public," Amnesty's statement added.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/bab...+Beyond+Blog%29

kylejack
Feb 28, 2006

I'M AN INSUFFERABLE PEDANTIC POMPOUS RACIST TROLL WHO BELIEVES VACCINES CAUSE AUTISM. I SUFFER FROM TERMINAL WHITE GUILT. PLEASE EXPOSE MY LIES OR BETTER YET JUST IGNORE ME!

A Winner is Jew posted:

I made this point in the Wisconsin protest thread, but I think it needs repeating here.

Obama is not some magical negro out of a loving Stephen King book that will right every loving wrong or usher in a Utopian progressive society with free UHC, no Guantanamo, Iraq of Afghanistan wars.
There's nothing Utopian about closing Guantanamo, and it was one of his campaign promises. UHC was within his grasp (public statements show that they had the votes in the Senate) and his administration actively lobbied against it.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Think about for one fraction of a second how long conservatives had to work to get to where they are now... where every liberal idea today are just things conservatives were talking about only a few years ago. 30 loving years it took for the right to push us every so gently over the years to where we are now... but since our magical negro progressive didn't fix everything in 2 years he's somehow just as bad as the conservatives?
You're positing that he's merely ineffective at pushing progressive ideals but the fact of the matter is that he's actively opposed to them. I don't fault Obama for what he's not able to do, but rather what he actually has intentionally done.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Deep Hurting posted:

What, you mean the lies?

"Saddam was involved in 9/11!"

"Smoking gun... mushroom cloud!"

"We're doing it to spread democracy!"

Also, let's not forget this choice quote from Donald Rumsfeld:

"And it is not knowable if force will be used, but if it is to be used, it is not knowable how long that conflict would last. It could last, you know, six days, six weeks. I doubt six months."

Could you please read up on the difference between "reasons" and "objectives"?

Afghanistan: Destroy Taliban
Iraq: Boot Saddam

Libya: Um, protect "civilians" with a "No Fly Zone", oh and "Gadaffy must go" or something :effort: And we might hand it off to someone else, and we are not going to commit ground troops. *CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeppppppppp*

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

A Winner is Jew posted:

waaaaaah

Not once have I got angry because he hasn't answered all our prayers.

I have repeatedly asked for an example of one, one! progressive thing he has done in the two and a half years since he got elected (two of which he had both houses) and have not got one (apart from allowing DADT to pass but anyone who remembers the process by which that passed will know that this happened in spite of him), while I myself have provided examples of multiple recessive things he has either had to power to stop but didn't or has willingly expanded.

You paint it like a long slog of a war but he hasn't even fired one bullet, gently caress to continue the lovely metaphor he might as well be a defector.

kw0134 posted:

That's just as simplistic, if not even more so. Qadaffi lost the east because he basically had no troops there, and what troops were there were deliberately undersupplied. He almost lost the west too, but since he kept his best and loyal troops close to the capital, massive protests in Tripoli were crushed forcibly before it could become the new Tahrir Square. Misurata is not far from Tripoli and it's being shelled constantly for its stanch anti-Qadaffi population. In short, this is a broad-based uprising that undercuts your simplified understanding of the situation.
Bull, if you knew the history of Libya you would see why the East is such a stronghold while the West has been a struggle (and it's got little to nothing to do with troop distribution).

quote:

And I don't necessarily think this would happen either (like I disclaimed), but flatly going "no" is, well, simplified. Many things can happen, and most things won't come to pass. But ignoring the possibility because you're reading demographic figures off of wikipedia is not informed and nuanced analysis.
You idiots are citing Hezbollah having influence in this pseudo-Syria proxy civil war, it displays complete loving stupidity and can only come from glances at headlines associating the two.

Let me educate you: Hezbollah is a Shi'ite paramilitary stuck in the southern Ghettos of Lebanon, outside of those Ghettos they're loathed, utterly utterly loathed. Occasionally Syria gives them some weapons because they like to antagonise Israel, Hezbollah has no loving influence, connections, or sway in Syria.

Seriously of all the Arab countries undergoing protests Syria is one of the ones with the least amount of possibilities for civil war.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009

shotgunbadger posted:

Death is always a tragedy, especially when the underclass are being stomped by the autocrats, but we simply can't play the world's police, we can't run in every place there is wrong and fix things (by bombing apparently).

What is wrong with the far and away superpower within the military world stepping up to support an organization they are apart of to prevent a massacre of civilians who dared to peacefully protest?

You seem to be a very snide "gently caress you, got mine" kinda guy.

But poo poo, wouldn't it be so delicious to see your reaction if you disagreed with the party in power, went to protest, and not only those in favour of the party you oppose but the army commanded by that party decided to wage a ruthless war on all that opposed them.

Thomase fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 24, 2011

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Competition posted:

Bull, if you knew the history of Libya you would see why the East is such a stronghold while the West has been a struggle (and it's got little to nothing to do with troop distribution).
So are you going to actually rebut the tactical situation in Miszuratu, or the past events where the streets of Tripoli practically ran red until everyone was cowed into toeing the party line? Or are you going to continue to wave ambiguously at "facts" that don't support your assertions? Oh, wait, you're going to say next that "West" Libya starts at the Qadaffi compound in Tripoli and ends two blocks over.

quote:

You idiots are citing Hezbollah having influence in this pseudo-Syria proxy civil war, it displays complete loving stupidity and can only come from glances at headlines associating the two.

Let me educate you: Hezbollah is a Shi'ite paramilitary stuck in the southern Ghettos of Lebanon, outside of those Ghettos they're loathed, utterly utterly loathed. Occasionally Syria gives them some weapons because they like to antagonise Israel, Hezbollah has no loving influence, connections, or sway in Syria.

Seriously of all the Arab countries undergoing protests Syria is one of the ones with the least amount of possibilities for civil war.
Um, what? Syria isn't a candidate for civil war at all because Hezbollah is hated? And not the inherent demographic and power imbalance at work or the social failures of a repressive government which is apparently widely detested? You have a weird way of "educating" us ignorant peasants.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Competition posted:

Not once have I got angry because he hasn't answered all our prayers.

I have repeatedly asked for an example of one, one! progressive thing he has done in the two and a half years since he got elected (two of which he had both houses) and have not got one (apart from allowing DADT to pass but anyone who remembers the process by which that passed will know that this happened in spite of him), while I myself have provided examples of multiple recessive things he has either had to power to stop but didn't or has willingly expanded.

You paint it like a long slog of a war but he hasn't even fired one bullet, gently caress to continue the lovely metaphor he might as well be a defector.

You are arguing that Obama is conservative. That is not the same as "neo-con".

The Neo-Conservative movement came out of the Project for the New American Century, a conservative think-tank that had a strong influence on the Bush presidency. The think-tank itself is essentially defunct, having lost a great deal of the prestige and credibility it had in the late 90s and early 2000s. Guys like Bill Kristol and Richard Pearle were PNAC hardcore, and a number of other Bush officials were signatories, including Scooter Libby, Donald Rumsfeld, Paul Wolfowitz, and most importantly, Dick Cheney.

The PNAC advocated a doctrine of American exceptionalism and proactive use of American military power to achieve American interests: specifically, spreading democracy and regime change through military means. This came to be known as "Neo-Conservative" and when people say "neocon" they are referring to this collection of policies.

Importantly, neo-conservatism is a foreign policy. It has nothing to do with domestic politics. George W Bush was influenced by neo-cons, but he himself was not really a neo-con - or perhaps it would be better to say, that you cannot summarize Bush's politics as neo-conservative, because that can only encompass aspects of his foreign policy.

To argue that Obama is a neo-con is ludicrous. It is obvious to everyone who knows what the term means, that you are misusing the term. The use of the term "neo-con" to just mean "conservative" robs it of its meaning.

This thread is about what's going on in the Arabic countries experiencing turmoil and revolution in the Middle-East and North Africa. To the extent that the US has become involved, it's useful and interesting to discuss why and how, and what policy drives it, and in that respect, what Obama is doing, why, and perhaps what he ought to do instead, if you disagree with that.

Babbling on about how he's a neo-con is both off-topic and makes you look stupid.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 24, 2011

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

kw0134 posted:

So are you going to actually rebut the tactical situation in Miszuratu, or the past events where the streets of Tripoli practically ran red until everyone was cowed into toeing the party line? Or are you going to continue to wave ambiguously at "facts" that don't support your assertions? Oh, wait, you're going to say next that "West" Libya starts at the Qadaffi compound in Tripoli and ends two blocks over.
I'm going to state that Gaddaffi totally lost the East due to the historical resistance of Cyrenaica from the rest of Libya, his losses in the West of Libya have been less total and were caught up with the momentum of the total loss of the East and the general Arab revolts, historically understanding Libya is key to seeing which parts of it have fallen and have little to do with troop deployments.

quote:

Um, what? Syria isn't a candidate for civil war at all because Hezbollah is hated? And not the inherent demographic and power imbalance at work or the social failures of a repressive government which is apparently widely detested? You have a weird way of "educating" us ignorant peasants.
Syria isn't a candidate for civil war because it is one of the least demographically diverse Arab nations in pretty much every category, A civil war needs to fall upon dividing lines of some sort, yes there is a power imbalance where one small Islamic sect disproportionately holds the position of power but their numbers are so small that it simply cannot sustain a civil war.

Syria has slaughtered protesters in one city and your imaginations have run away with you into some Tom Clancy-esque war fantasy when it is one of the least likely candidates to fall into civil war (a term that is still not being applied to Libya)

I described Hezbollah's circumstances because you idiots think Hezbollah would be exerting some sort of power over a yet named fraction in this imaginary proxy war you've invented, quite simply it cannot.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Competition posted:

Stop this poo poo, people were claiming potential proxy civil war for Iraq which had ten times to potential than Syria does and that didn't happen.

Yes, it did :confused: There was a large civil war in Iraq which involved Shiite Iranian trained fighters, Sunni groups including foreign fighters ideologically aligned with al-Qaeda, and those allied with the US.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Competition posted:

I'm going to state that Gaddaffi totally lost the East due to the historical resistance of Cyrenaica from the rest of Libya, his losses in the West of Libya have been less total and were caught up with the momentum of the total loss of the East and the general Arab revolts, historically understanding Libya is key to seeing which parts of it have fallen and have little to do with troop deployments.

Syria isn't a candidate for civil war because it is one of the least demographically diverse Arab nations in pretty much every category, A civil war needs to fall upon dividing lines of some sort, yes there is a power imbalance where one small Islamic sect disproportionately holds the position of power but their numbers are so small that it simply cannot sustain a civil war.

Syria has slaughtered protesters in one city and your imaginations have run away with you into some Tom Clancy-esque war fantasy when it is one of the least likely candidates to fall into civil war (a term that is still not being applied to Libya)

I described Hezbollah's circumstances because you idiots think Hezbollah would be exerting some sort of power over a yet named fraction in this imaginary proxy war you've invented, quite simply it cannot.

I do not feel you have a serious claim in saying that innate demographic characteristics are necessary for a civil war. In fact I would go so far as to say that such a claim is ludicrous.

kylejack
Feb 28, 2006

I'M AN INSUFFERABLE PEDANTIC POMPOUS RACIST TROLL WHO BELIEVES VACCINES CAUSE AUTISM. I SUFFER FROM TERMINAL WHITE GUILT. PLEASE EXPOSE MY LIES OR BETTER YET JUST IGNORE ME!

Thomase posted:

What is wrong with the far and away superpower within the military world stepping up to support an organization they are apart of to prevent a massacre of civilians who dared to peacefully protest?

You seem to be a very snide "gently caress you, got mine" kinda guy.

But poo poo, wouldn't it be so delicious to see your reaction if you disagreed with the party in power, went to protest, and not only those in favour of the party you oppose but the army commanded by that party decided to wage a ruthless war on all that opposed them.
Except that American interventions aren't known for saving thousands of lives but rather the opposite. How many Iraqis died so we could depose Saddam? How many innocent villagers were shot when we were retrieving our pilots the other day? (6.)

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Leperflesh posted:

words
I was arguing that he wasn't a progressive. There's a healthy amount of debate within the Right itself over the term "neo-con" and I'm not all that interested in trying to tell the difference between 12 different shades of poo poo, suffice to say Obama hasn't instituted a single policy that can be considered progressive but has continued to expand and renew policies of the previous administration which was routinely described as neo-con.

Xandu posted:

Yes, it did :confused: There was a large civil war in Iraq which involved Shiite Iranian trained fighters, Sunni groups including foreign fighters ideologically aligned with al-Qaeda, and those allied with the US.
It was magnitudes below the predictions being made at the time which included the active involvement of at least 3 other regional powers, declarations of independence, and acts of genocide. Less of a civil war and more of a Yugoslavian-esque break up on steroids, And this was in a country that actually had the potential for it, unlike Syria (which so far grander predictions have been made).

farraday posted:

I do not feel you have a serious claim in saying that innate demographic characteristics are necessary for a civil war. In fact I would go so far as to say that such a claim is ludicrous.
It's what has been cited by those who started claiming civil/proxy war. Very few civil wars don't have any demographic elements in their divisions (I can only really think of one off the top of my head), for this fantasy proxy war to develop there would have to been deep and multiple divisions creating large fraction of which no-one has actually outlined yet (hint: because they don't exist).

trollstormur
Mar 18, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Afganistan is such a huge loving morass. nevermind we armed the Taliban and actively fund them to get anything done over there. We've got US soldiers coming back and talking about guarding opium fields, while the brother of the president of Afghanistan is one of the largest opium runners in the country, and he's got the CIA flying his dope outta there. These are all just pulled from NYT articles.

They also say that Afganistan is now producing 90% of the world's supply of opium, so for every junkie throwing their life away and tearing apart their family, 9 out of 10 will be shooting up with US Govt junk. and people are so worked up that their tax dollars might fund an abortion here and there.

The CIA sold coke in the 80s to fund anticommunist deathsquads, today I wonder where this money is winding up and to what end? Could it have been used to stir up Benghazi and hire the African mercenaries earlier attributed to khadaffi, but have now completely fallen out of the public eye? I don't know, but we'll probably find out what really happened 20 years from now and we're not going to like it, but by that time nobody gives a poo poo and no one will be held accountable.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Competition posted:

It was magnitudes below the predictions being made at the time which included the active involvement of at least 3 other regional powers, declarations of independence, and acts of genocide. Less of a civil war and more of a Yugoslavian-esque break up on steroids, And this was in a country that actually had the potential for it, unlike Syria (which so far grander predictions have been made).

Fair enough, I've tried to block out all the terrible predications on Iraq from my memory. I don't see a civil war happening, but it will absolutely change the regional order, especially for Lebanon and Iran, if al-Assad falls.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Competition posted:

So basically history says he should have lost the East and in the west, where he shouldn't have historically been challenged at all, we'll just handwave. Okay, got it, you don't have an actual argument, you're just making up facts as we go along.

quote:

It's what has been cited by those who started claiming civil/proxy war. Very few civil wars don't have any demographic elements in their divisions (I can only really think of one off the top of my head), for this fantasy proxy war to develop there would have to been deep and multiple divisions creating large fraction of which no-one has actually outlined yet (hint: because they don't exist).
YOU brought up specific demographics. I mentioned various national interests which while may implicate demographics, also involve basic political interests unique to nation states. Basic divisions like how power and wealth in a local polity, such as it is in every protest we've seen to date, have been ample fuel for "deep divisions" leading to civil war. We've seen it in the English Civil War, the American Civil War, the Shining Path uprising in Peru, FARC in Colombia, Sandinistas in Nicuaragua, the Chinese civil war between Communists and Nationalists, shall I go on? For someone who slams down history at every opportunity, this is an incredible oversight.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

trollstormur posted:

Could it have been used to stir up Benghazi and hire the African mercenaries earlier attributed to khadaffi, but have now completely fallen out of the public eye? I don't know, but we'll probably find out what really happened 20 years from now and we're not going to like it, but by that time nobody gives a poo poo and no one will be held accountable.

Can you give a plausible rationale for why the US would hire mercenaries to massacre civilians in Libya?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Thomase posted:

Please, don't talk about peaceful protests in Libya. It may have been that at the beginning but for many weeks now it has been a total civil war and is nothing similar to eg. the protests in Egypt or Bahrain. We should at least pretend to be balanced even if it's hard to sympathize with Gaddafi.

As for the question, I see several potential problems to consider.

The first, and currently the biggest, one is that revolutionaries in other countries will get a wrong message and start an armed rebellion in the belief that NATO will come to protect them. That could only end in tears because the west is not going to get involved. Think of Iraqi Shias in 1991. Or Europe in 1848.

The other one is that when confronted like this, autocratic governments will tighten up their hold, seeing how any concessions will increase the likelihood of civil unrest and therefore foreign invasion. If that can be avoided by continuing to arrest and torture opposition leaders, so be it. I think that blatant interventionist policies usually stand in the way of reforms, rather than assist them. The outcome that we should pursue is a peaceful transition of power to people, not war, even if it was more gradual. Why would, say, the Cubans release political prisoners if they simultaneously knew that we are planning to use the same opposition as an overture to invade them? Shouldn't they just execute them all as a liability? Friendly negotiations don't always work either, like in China, but China could be even worse if we were trying to instigate rebellion within the country.

And then there is a myriad of other factors, such as the question of how we don't know what things could go wrong either with the execution or the outcome. How many children gathering wood can get bombed before the campaign is deemed as a failure? How do we know that this will work? Western intervention did nothing in Somalia. Why would it solve Libya's problems?

This doesn't mean that there are no reasons to support the NFZ over Libya, because there are many. But you should realize that there are several reasons to not be enamoured with the intervention, too. Neither the intervention or non-intervention are optimal solutions. But I don't know if the 'ideal' solution would be realizable. To me, it would be an international agreement outlining procedures for these kinds of circumstances so that no USNC political resolutions would be needed any more - a government starts killing their own people, others will be obliged to intervene. With a universal policy for action against governments that breach human rights no government could look past the issue, thinking that their allies or something will protect them, forcing them to take heed and make changes. However, it's a utopian plan that would in practise not work. First because countries like North Korea probably still wouldn't acknowledge it, leading into wars that most people don't want, and secondly because most of the UNSC countries don't have a clean platter either (and USA also has to consider the Israel-Palestine thing). And because the vast majority of governments value sovereignty over human rights. Or, to put it in other words: no government in the world would cede over their OWN sovereignty for that.

trollstormur
Mar 18, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xandu posted:

Can you give a plausible rationale for why the US would hire mercenaries to massacre civilians in Libya?

To start a civil war we can take advantage of, just like in Nicaragua, Afganistan et al

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

kw0134 posted:

So basically history says he should have lost the East and in the west, where he shouldn't have historically been challenged at all, we'll just handwave.
Yes, by stating that there was a historical reason for the quick uprising in the East I am somehow stating that it is an impossibility in the West.

quote:

Okay, got it, you don't have an actual argument, you're just making up facts as we go along.
Are you stating that I made up the distinct historical reasons for the East being more willing to rebel/harder to put down?

quote:

YOU brought up specific demographics. I mentioned various national interests which while may implicate demographics, also involve basic political interests unique to nation states. Basic divisions like how power and wealth in a local polity, such as it is in every protest we've seen to date, have been ample fuel for "deep divisions" leading to civil war. We've seen it in the English Civil War, the American Civil War, the Shining Path uprising in Peru, FARC in Colombia, Sandinistas in Nicuaragua, the Chinese civil war between Communists and Nationalists, shall I go on? For someone who slams down history at every opportunity, this is an incredible oversight.
1. Wealth division is a demographic
2. Not all uprisings = civil war

You created this fantasy civil war where Hezbollah, Saudi, and Iran would get involved. It's pure Tom Clancy fantasy.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

trollstormur posted:

To start a civil war we can take advantage of, just like in Nicaragua, Afganistan et al

What Civil War did we take advantage of in Afganistan?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Pretty decent collection of recent articles on Yemen for anyone who wants some background on the protests.

trollstormur posted:

Okay, but don't you think it's just slightly more plausible that Gaddafi used them to attack protesters because he didn't want to deposed?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Competition posted:

You created this fantasy civil war where Hezbollah, Saudi, and Iran would get involved. It's pure Tom Clancy fantasy.

No extreme division in wealth in Syria then by your logic since they can't have a civil war? You're being absurd, please stop it.

trollstormur
Mar 18, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The one that drew in the soviets, coming to the aid of a democratically elected government because the US was funnelling cash and arms to the Mujahideen? obviously we couldn't just seat a puppet at the head of that, but here we are finishing the job and stabbing our "comrades" in the backs in the name of democracy.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DeclaredYuppie posted:

What Civil War did we take advantage of in Afganistan?

Northern Coalition vs. Taliban, which was actually very handy for deposing the Taliban.

edit: silly me, that was far too reasonable to have been what he meant.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 24, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

trollstormur posted:

The one that drew in the soviets, coming to the aid of a democratically elected government because the US was funnelling cash and arms to the Mujahideen? obviously we couldn't just seat a puppet at the head of that, but here we are finishing the job and stabbing our "comrades" in the backs in the name of democracy.

This post is a bit hard to follow, but are you suggesting that the Soviets entered Afghanistan to help a democratically elected government that the US was trying to depose, and that 13 years later, the US invaded so as to finish the job?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Competition posted:

Yes, by stating that there was a historical reason for the quick uprising in the East I am somehow stating that it is an impossibility in the West.

Are you stating that I made up the distinct historical reasons for the East being more willing to rebel/harder to put down?
Then your argument is entirely empty; "Why is the West easier to put down? HISTORY!" is pure sophistry because you can just attribute everything to history.

quote:

Wow, we've descended into arguing semantics now? The biggest divide in the Middle East at this moment is the demographic division of those with AK knock offs versus those that don't. There.

(By the way, the English Civil War was entirely about the right of a king to rule without the consent of parliament. Charles I lost that fight badly to a group of rich nobles and their bourgeois supporters. But but demographics.)

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This just popped up on Twitter:

quote:

FLASH: Coalition naval force seize oil carrier on its way to Zawya 50km from Tripoli and change its route to Tobruk
Which is probably this one:

quote:

Alert: #Malta flagged tanker 'BREEZE A' laden with fuel reportedly heading for #Libya
Earlier the Libyan government said there was fuel shortages in Tripoli, and a tanker was on its way to relieve the fuel shortage, and they expected the coalition to board or destroy the tanker. Guess they took the secret third option.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

This just popped up on Twitter:

Which is probably this one:

Earlier the Libyan government said there was fuel shortages in Tripoli, and a tanker was on its way to relieve the fuel shortage, and they expected the coalition to board or destroy the tanker. Guess they took the secret third option.

It appears there's some problems with the port at Tripoli, they're just redirecting it to a similar port in the same country.

Hah, suckers.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

kw0134 posted:

Then your argument is entirely empty; "Why is the West easier to put down? HISTORY!" is pure sophistry because you can just attribute everything to history.
No the argument is that in Libya there is a distinct historical reason for why the rebellion has been so total in one part of the country and very hit and miss in another, it might have something to do with the former region having some kind of rebellion attempt every decade or so for the past 40 years.

quote:

Wow, we've descended into arguing semantics now? The biggest divide in the Middle East at this moment is the demographic division of those with AK knock offs versus those that don't. There.
The point was that civil wars are generally fueled by deep demographic splits and that you seem to think that every little uprising is a civil war (hint: the label hasn't been applied here yet and wasn't applicable to half of those examples you gave).

quote:

(By the way, the English Civil War was entirely about the right of a king to rule without the consent of parliament. Charles I lost that fight badly to a group of rich nobles and their bourgeois supporters. But but demographics.)
Err Charles was supported by the nobles and generally rural people whereas the Parliamentarians had at their call the New Model Army which was made up of commoners from the towns and cities and had close relations with groups like the Levellers.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

trollstormur posted:

Also, the CIA created the AIDS virus to kill off black people and give the continent to the U.S. since we need its resources! And I think 9/11 was an inside job.... (don't tell anyone what I said and you're going to have to start wearing a tin-foil hat like me in order to stop the government from finding out that I told you the truth about them!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trollstormur
Mar 18, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xandu posted:

This post is a bit hard to follow, but are you suggesting that the Soviets entered Afghanistan to help a democratically elected government that the US was trying to depose, and that 13 years later, the US invaded so as to finish the job?

ill address this when ive a computer handy, it's difficult to form coherent posts from a phone.

• Locked thread