Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Oh, you got me.

She adds on 2 minute long creation myth narratives to the beginning of her groundbreaking videos. Right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realqueenbetty
Nov 2, 2005

And then swing your swift sword, sister
Swing your swift sword now
Swing your swift sword, sister, sister

etcetera08 posted:

Oh, you got me.

She adds on 2 minute long creation myth narratives to the beginning of her groundbreaking videos. Right.
lol what are you doing here

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
Gaga got her start in large part thanks to the gay community, specifically the gay club scene. They were some of the first to start really playing her music back in the day, and she used to play tiny shows in gay clubs, pride festivals, etc. She's always been very vocal and appreciative of the support she got from the community. And where some artists might have swept that under the rug or stopped supporting the LGBT community as fiercely when they hit the mainstream, Gaga hasn't done that. She's been incredibly vocal about LGBT rights and issues (National Equality March, DADT, other poo poo I'm sure I'm forgetting) and more importantly, she's bringing the weight of her massive fan base to those issues too. Gaga's not stupid, I'm sure she realizes that by promoting stuff like that, and the Japan relief bracelet, that she turns a whole bunch of people (many of whom are very young) onto things they might not otherwise get involved in, or care about, or donate to or whatever.

I think this can only be a good thing but you can continue going "hurr stupid bitch don't do poo poo" if you want i guess v:shobon:v

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
http://www.themusicninja.com/electro-lady-gaga-born-this-way-dada-life-remix/

God loving drat

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Weird, those guys are coming to town on the 29'th. It's kind of a lovely venue though.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

I can't help fistpumping like The Situation to this

GOD loving drat

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Going to the concert tonight in Oakland! It's my first time and I'm really excited. We're going there four hours early.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Neena posted:

Gaga got her start in large part thanks to the gay community, specifically the gay club scene. They were some of the first to start really playing her music back in the day, and she used to play tiny shows in gay clubs, pride festivals, etc. She's always been very vocal and appreciative of the support she got from the community. And where some artists might have swept that under the rug or stopped supporting the LGBT community as fiercely when they hit the mainstream, Gaga hasn't done that. She's been incredibly vocal about LGBT rights and issues (National Equality March, DADT, other poo poo I'm sure I'm forgetting) and more importantly, she's bringing the weight of her massive fan base to those issues too.

So she's taken marketing cues from 80's Madonna? It's as if all of these weren't calculated steps, as if being 'pro-gay' in pop music is anything special. She had a built-in audience, why would you abandon those that made you money? Name me 1 loving pop act that has been openly anti-gay and has survived the onslaught of hate and criticism, and ultimately forced to walk the statement back.

Goons will intellectualize anything and everything, thinking they're too smart too fall for marketing. No, I'd never fall for a carefully created pop image! You see it's because she's super important culturally, she's breaking boundaries maaaang!

e- I just read the OP, that's a joke right? loving celebrity culture, goddamn.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 22, 2011

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

She's going to be posting a video interview she did with google later tonight, giving more details about the album and the next single.

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
Gaga's acceptance speech for an award at the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network dinner over the weekend, it's sweet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIabfCEsZRA

Atlanta Monster Ball in less than a month! Can't wait. :dance: Is the end of the catwalk the best spot for GA? Also, I will be wearing this:

quote:

e- I just read the OP, that's a joke right? loving celebrity culture, goddamn.

oh these'll make your head explode then

http://www.slantmagazine.com/house/2009/12/pop-ate-my-heart-lady-gaga-her-videos-and-her-fame-monster/
http://www.slantmagazine.com/house/2010/03/lets-make-a-sandwich-lady-gagas-telephone-a-second-take/
http://www.slantmagazine.com/house/2010/06/im-not-your-babe-alejandro-and-the-gaga-narrative/
http://gagajournal.blogspot.com/

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

So, she admits her music is poo poo and we're supposed to take her as a visual artist? Alright. So, I guess what's your point? NiN had some pretty cool videos with some fun themes. That doesn't mean that anyone who spends hours writing about said videos isn't a loving loony goon.

Why can't people just enjoy the music, why do you need to intellectualize everything to some sort of high-art form as to legitimize your own tastes in art. It's absurd.

Were people intellectualizing the Beatles this much in their hayday? I suspect not, so what's the change?

FMERCURY
Feb 17, 2005

Morphix posted:

So, she admits her music is poo poo and we're supposed to take her as a visual artist? Alright. So, I guess what's your point? NiN had some pretty cool videos with some fun themes. That doesn't mean that anyone who spends hours writing about said videos isn't a loving loony goon.

Why can't people just enjoy the music, why do you need to intellectualize everything to some sort of high-art form as to legitimize your own tastes in art. It's absurd.

This is almost a word-for-word rehash of the Kanye West thread when he premiered the Runaway video. The fact that you are an ignorant sperg with no artistic vocabulary does not mean that everyone else is, too. Believe it or not, some pop artists do put considerable thought behind their art, and the analysis of said art is a worthwhile pursuit. And it doesn't matter one good god drat whether or not you smugly consider such art beneath your rarefied taste.

FMERCURY fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 23, 2011

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

FMERCURY posted:

This is almost a word-for-word rehash of the Kanye West thread when he premiered the Runaway video. The fact that you are an ignorant sperg with no artistic vocabulary does not mean that everyone else is, too. Believe it or not, some pop artists do put considerable thought behind their art, and the analysis of said art is a worthwhile pursuit. And it doesn't matter one good god drat whether or not you smugly consider such art beneath your rarefied taste.

Ya, on second thought I'll take the comments back. You're right, it's a stupid distinction I'm trying to make.

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

Morphix posted:

Sometimes, and I know this is crazy so bear with me here, but sometimes, it is fun to analyze things!

e; vv

Morphix posted:

I'm just curious, how much do you know about Lady Gaga? I mean, like how intimately familiar are you with her tweets, her blog posts, her dresses, her various charity gigs, etc. Does this knowledge help you better contextualize her art or do you just need to stay on top of everything gaga 24/7?

She entertains me so I keep up with her, and I have good google skills and a head for useless trivia. So nah

Neena fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 23, 2011

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Neena posted:

Sometimes, and I know this is crazy so bear with me here, but sometimes, it is fun to analyze things!

I'm just curious, how much do you know about Lady Gaga? I mean, like how intimately familiar are you with her tweets, her blog posts, her dresses, her various charity gigs, etc. Does this knowledge help you better contextualize her art or do you just need to stay on top of everything gaga 24/7?

This is probably best left for another thread though, it's more to do with peoples celebrity interest, the TMZ-followers of the world as it were.

Have fun at the show, I'm sure it will be great :)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

So hey, there's a new interview of Gaga by Musicians@Google at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNa_-1d_0tA

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

The Saddest Rhino posted:

So hey, there's a new interview of Gaga by Musicians@Google at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNa_-1d_0tA

How can anyone watch this interview and not love her after? I love gaga. :swoon:

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
God the Lady Starlight opening act drinking fake whiskey was so awkward.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Morphix posted:

Were people intellectualizing the Beatles this much in their hayday? I suspect not, so what's the change?

Yes actually they were, people have always spent large amounts of time thinking/writing deeply about popular art, whether that art is music or some other medium, and there are even theses about the Beatles. I don't know why you are so angry about it?

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 23, 2011

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
People have also always spent time mocking and hating popular artists, oddly enough.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
You guys were completely right about being near the catwalk. I felt that Lady Gaga totally neglected our side of the stage. We ended up being right up against the fence on her right side of the stage but she rarely visited that side. When we got there, there were already a few rows around the catwalk and the others wanted to be closer to the stage so that's what we did. Now I totally regret it.

The show seemed to go by so quickly. I don't know. I wasn't completely blown away by her performance. I think she was a bit tired. The stages however were amazing.

Jer
May 23, 2003

nba balla/entrapenour
I just got back from seeing her live - it was loving amazing visually. I'm not a huge fan, but it was a ton of fun :) I have no idea how she manages to sing and dance as well as she does in those goddamn heels

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

flatluigi posted:

People have also always spent time mocking and hating popular artists, oddly enough.

Of course they have but what's that got to do with Morphix's question?

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Morphix posted:

Name me 1 loving pop act that has been openly anti-gay and has survived the onslaught of hate and criticism, and ultimately forced to walk the statement back.

Katy Perry.

http://thenewgay.net/2008/06/katy-perry-new-gay-interview.html

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I like how the account hosting Ur So Gay in that article has been closed down/deleted. God that song was like being punched in the face and I'm glad that I was denied the opportunity to remind myself of how utterly dire it was.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I made this wallpaper. Mostly for personal use, but use it if you want and tell me if it sucks or is good

if you want a bigger/smaller size just ask

http://i.imgur.com/3m9FX.jpg

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Where is she anti-gay here?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Reinforcing of gender norms, sexual stereotypes and a general "oh you gays are SO serious" attitude, for the most part. It's there in this interview but it's hard to sum her up via any one interview in particular.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Earwicker posted:

Yes actually they were, people have always spent large amounts of time thinking/writing deeply about popular art, whether that art is music or some other medium, and there are even theses about the Beatles. I don't know why you are so angry about it?

I had a professor in college who wrote his thesis on Abbey Road.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Crows Turn Off posted:

Where is she anti-gay here?

Did you even read it? My favorite part is where she compares herself to Ann Frank.

Zack Rosen posted:

Zack's Ramblings: If Katy Perry Crapped in a Pizza Box, Would You Eat It?

Tomorrow I will be attempting to launch a column called “New Gay Icons” that I’ve been brewing for a while. The reason is that I’ve become increasingly frustrated with the spate of contemporary pop stars that crop up out of nowhere, declare themselves to be “gay icons,” throw a couple rainbows or dudes kissing into their videos then dust off their hands and move on.

Lady Gaga, as much as the annoys the holy living doodies out of me, has at least been a very visible and very vocal ally for us. I’d be happy if I didn’t have to read or type her name for a year or 30, but thats another issue. Right now, most of my “fake gay icons” ire is being directed toward Katy Perry.

When she first hit the scene a couple years ago, I found her to be an incredibly offensive figure. If you recall, her first big hit was “Ur So Gay,” a paean to stereotypes and gay suicide. The song is about a boy that Katy dated who dared be sensitive and well-groomed, and so she assumed he was a big fag. She asked that he “hang himself with his H&M scarf,” for one, and generally acted as if “gay” was the ultimate, be-all, end-all put down to someone that treated her wrong.

Then she followed it up with “I Kissed a Girl,” which panders to my least favorite cliche ever, that of the straight girls who make out at frat parties to turn on frat boys. The same frat boys, mind you, who would probably barf if they saw the actual, gorgeous, butch/faux hawk/anything else kind of lesbians that populate much of the real queer world. When I got the chance to interview Katy in 2008, she not only admitted that she had never kissed a girl (thus relegating her song to queersploitation, not cathartic story-telling) but also referred to her diary as her “Anne Frank.” Thanks, Katy! All the members of my family who died during WWII really appreciate that one.

Flash forward two years and Katy has more or less decided that she is a gay icon. Which, cool, it’s a career move and it makes sense for someone who wants to be a celebrity. But why, please god in heaven why, has the gay world seemed to buy it? First off you couldn’t blow a 19 year-old this summer without running into that stupid “California Gays” video parody. Gay websites covered it with the feverish, breathless devotion of an Orthodox Brooklynite’s first trip to the Wailing Wall. And now the worst has happened. And that worst is the video for “Fireworks.”

For someone who put out the (I believe) two worst mainstream queer depictions of the last decade, and consistently reflects the values of her hyper-religious upbringing, I can’t really buy the “be yourself! Kiss that boy and be great!” message of the video. It would be like Jesse Jackson getting bar mitzvah’d after he called New York City “Hymie town.” It feels wrong at best, and is glaringly offensive at worst.

So my question here is this: Why do so many gay men buy into this? I guess they might just like the music, and see her covered in all the gay blogs and played at all the gay bars and not realize how disingenuous it all is. Our primary mission in starting TNG was to help queer folks create their own culture, not prescribe to the one made for us. And that leads me back to the question I ask in my headline: If Katy Perry presented you with a Domino’s box of her own steaming pea-cacas and said to you “I made this for you. Why don’t you eat it?” how many of you out there would chow down?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Foaming Chicken posted:

Did you even read it? My favorite part is where she compares herself to Ann Frank.
Yes? And nothing she said is really anti-gay, just really, really dumb. She very clearly doesn't hate gay people.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Himuro posted:

I made this wallpaper. Mostly for personal use, but use it if you want and tell me if it sucks or is good

if you want a bigger/smaller size just ask

http://i.imgur.com/3m9FX.jpg

That's great! I'd love it in 1920 x 1080 if you don't mind.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yes? And nothing she said is really anti-gay, just really, really dumb. She very clearly doesn't hate gay people.

She has not literally said "kill gay people" or "I hate gay people" no but the point of this discussion is that she perpetuates negative stereotypes about gay people and shows no nuance, understanding of, or senstivity towards sexuality in general. Her music, that underneath the surface level reinforces the idea that being heterosexual is more normal, is a detriment to the gay community, particularly 'Ur So Gay'.

realqueenbetty
Nov 2, 2005

And then swing your swift sword, sister
Swing your swift sword, sister, sister
Katy Perry's not a gay-basher, just a glib moron.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Final Fart Buttball posted:

She has not literally said "kill gay people" or "I hate gay people" no but the point of this discussion is that she perpetuates negative stereotypes about gay people and shows no nuance, understanding of, or senstivity towards sexuality in general. Her music, that underneath the surface level reinforces the idea that being heterosexual is more normal, is a detriment to the gay community, particularly 'Ur So Gay'.

Yes, this exactly. But enough about horrible Katy Perry is.

Let's talk about the surprise country version of Born This Way coming out in 7 hours
http://twitter.com/ladygaga/statuse...839501693657088

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

aqu posted:

That's great! I'd love it in 1920 x 1080 if you don't mind.

how do the hell do some people do that thumbnail poo poo? attach images?

Here you go:

http://i.imgur.com/TMSa4.jpg

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Himuro posted:

how do the hell do some people do that thumbnail poo poo? attach images?

Here you go:

You use timg tags instead of img tags.

Also, country version, what? :psyduck:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

angerbot posted:

You use timg tags instead of img tags.

Awesome, thanks!

Aqu - here's an updated version of the wallpaper. Enjoy!

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 25, 2011

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Himuro posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Aqu - here's an updated version of the wallpaper. Enjoy!

beautiful! thanks a ton.

quote:

I guess we'll find out in 3 hours. I cant wait to hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmR5Aat11P8

:psyduck:

• Locked thread