Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Angora posted:

Well, because both my opponent and I have been training the sweep for the last half-hour, I'm hesitant to perform it immediately because I know my opponent is expecting it.

This will help you improve your technique. If they know you're going to try a certain sweep, it will force you to execute it well to be successful or give you an opportunity to practice transitioning to other moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
New guys at my school only drill for the first day or two. Each round during sparing they get paired up with a higher belt who shows them a basic move one guy shows him a mount escape, then the next round a basic guard pass, followed by a scissor sweep and so on. It's too much information for them to remember everything but I think the idea is that when he starts free training he'll at least have an idea of what to do in most situations.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Acinonyx posted:

This will help you improve your technique. If they know you're going to try a certain sweep, it will force you to execute it well to be successful or give you an opportunity to practice transitioning to other moves.

Piggybacking on this, everyone in my gym nows my game because I only do 4-5 sweeps, 3 passes and 3 submissions. Not only that but I have a good idea of what most of the guys in my gym are going for before we start rolling. The same is true when high level guys compete everyone knows Roger is looking for the mount, and they know how Rafael Mendes passes but that doesn't mean anyone can stop them.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
there are only six moves in bjj so if it was taught in an effective way everyone would have a blackbelt in 2 months and renzo gracie wouldn't be able to be that fat anymore.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

Gomi Pile posted:

there are only six moves in bjj so if it was taught in an effective way everyone would have a blackbelt in 2 months and renzo gracie wouldn't be able to be that fat anymore.

Hip sweep, armbar, triangle, butt scoot, kimura, cross-choke and guard pull?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

westcoaster posted:

Hip sweep, armbar, triangle, butt scoot, kimura, cross-choke and guard pull?

i think i saw this sequence in a nick serra fight once

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
doesn't guard pull imply that he was on his feet to begin with?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

1st AD posted:

doesn't guard pull imply that he was on his feet to begin with?

you would think so

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
What was I thinking all jiu-jitsu is on the ground

MuonManLaserJab
Nov 6, 2010

- JIU-JITSU (18 Submissions)
- QUANTUM PHYSICS

Bundt Cake posted:

you would think so

Hell of a fight that one

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

1st AD posted:

wrestling ruins everything

I actually don't have a problem with the way the class is set up, because it's a beginners class and a lot of people just don't have the experience or the conditioning to really get any benefit out of more open mat time. I think the 15 or so minutes you spend on positional sparring is more than enough for anyone new.
There's a compromise to this. You can still have an open mat, but beginners are asked not to do subs and they are encouraged to continue drilling what they learned in to open mat.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Gomi Pile posted:

AMEN!

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Pan Am brackets are up. Sorry for not doing a preview of all the divisions, I've been super busy especially since I'm competing tomorrow(blue belt adult heavy). For those interested budovideos.com is apparently doing a free broadcast on Saturday which will feature the adult open division and maybe some matches from brown belt adult and black belt masters/seniors, as well as Sunday which will have adult black belt weight classes + all the finals.

Anyway updating my predictions

Roosterweight: Earlier I had said Felipe Costa would run away with this division, but Raphael Freitas(Gracie Barra) is dropping down from light feather, that dude is a beast and could definitely give Felipe trouble in the finals.

Light feather: I'm predicting Caio Terra vs Carlos Holanda in one semifinal and Bruno Malfacine vs Megaton in the other(for those of you who don't know, Megaton is the only guy to compete in all of the world championships at black belt, he's a real og) with Carlos Holanda beating Bruno Malfacine in the finals.

Feather: The Atos guys are going to split the medals

Lightweight: Michael Langhi vs JT Torres in one semifinal and Lucas Lepri vs the winner of Agusto Mendes/Rodrigo Caporal(I have no idea how this math will play out) however I think the final will be Langhi and Lepri closing out the bracket.

Middleweight: I wish I had gotten around to writing up this division, since it's going to be super exciting but whatever. Claudio Calasans vs Gustavo Campos in one semi and Lucas Leite vs the winner of Abmar Barbosa vs Gilbert Burns(this is another match that could go either way, and this match will probably be insane). Calasans over Barbosa or spliting with Burns in the final(Burns and Calasans are another set of teammates)

Meadium Heavy: Andre Galvao vs Marcel Louzada in one semi and Otavio Sousa over ???(I don't know anything about the four guys opposite him) Galvao over Sousa in the finals. I'm freaking stoked to see the return of Galvao.

Heavyweight: Rodlofo Viera vs Ricardo Abreu in one semi and Bernardo Farria vs Roberto Alencar in the other. I think Faria will win his semi final match but I have no idea about the rest. Viera missed much of last year with injury after going on a tear in 2009 and Abreu is moving down from super heavy where he was really good(even against Roger). This bracket is going to be super interesting.

Super heavy: Orlando Zanetti vs Marcus Almeida in one semi with ?? vs Bruno Bastos in the other. ALmeida over Bastos in the finals. I can't stand Bruno Bastos.

Ultra heavy: Luiz "Big Mac" Theodoro vs Antonio Braga Neto in one semifinal against Antonio Peinado v Gabriel Vella. Antonio Braga Neto over Gabriel Vella in the finals. If Big Mac faces Vella it will be the most boring match of the tournament.

If people are interested(and I'm not super depressed) I can go a little more in depth on some match ups on Friday.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I'm interested

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Just remember about Bruno Bastos, "Hodjah dun keeeeeeeeled heeeem."

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
anyone know where the expression "closing the bracket" comes from? is it simply a nicer-sounding way of saying forfeit or leaving walkover?

Opal fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 24, 2011

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

is it strange to go to other schools to free roll on open mat days-they charge like 20 bucks but I can stay for few hours-? Do they take this as a challenge to own me? I'm not very good but been at it for close to month now and starting to get some of the basics and would like to go against some new people but not sure if this would be a good idea at my level.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

the periodic fable posted:

anyone know where the expression "closing the bracket" comes from? is it simply a nicer-sounding way of saying forfeit or leaving walkover?

It means two guys (or any power of 2, I guess) decide not to compete rather than fight to declare a champion. Ussually happens when guys who are training partners end up matched in the finals.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

shizen posted:

is it strange to go to other schools to free roll on open mat days-they charge like 20 bucks but I can stay for few hours-? Do they take this as a challenge to own me? I'm not very good but been at it for close to month now and starting to get some of the basics and would like to go against some new people but not sure if this would be a good idea at my level.

Having a mat fee isn't unheard of at all, a lot of places do it. $20 is kind of steep in my experience, but maybe you're in an expensive area.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Why do you dislike bruno bastos? My friend trains under him and loves him. I've never met the man and couldn't pick him out of a lineup, I'm just curious what his rep is.

I didn't even realize he was that big of a guy, I guess since my friend fighters at FW, I kind of assumed bruno was smaller.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

Why do you dislike bruno bastos? My friend trains under him and loves him. I've never met the man and couldn't pick him out of a lineup, I'm just curious what his rep is.

I didn't even realize he was that big of a guy, I guess since my friend fighters at FW, I kind of assumed bruno was smaller.

I don't have much against Bruno when it comes to stuff off the mat, I thought it was kind of cheesy how he gave Brandon Quick his brown belt, but Quick has been competing at most of the major tournaments so whatever. My beef with Bruno is that he's frequently ridiculously boring, so much so that he's lost a ton of matches either by refs decision or because he got called for stalling enough for his opponent to be given points. It boggles my mind how someone can be as good as him(and Bruno is really skilled) and do so little so frequently.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
What are your feelings on Ricardo Arona?

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Neurosis posted:

What are your feelings on Ricardo Arona?

At least when Arona stalled it won him matches. I'm not hating on Bastos because he stalls(everyone stalls a little) but because he stalls and refuses to stop even when he knows it's going to cost him a match.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Oh, I was thinking it was some terrible personality problem or he screwed someone over. My friend is an MMA fighter and former HS wrestler, so no wonder he loves Bruno, I bet their styles match well.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Thoguh posted:

It means two guys (or any power of 2, I guess) decide not to compete rather than fight to declare a champion. Ussually happens when guys who are training partners end up matched in the finals.

what? i know what it is, i'm asking where the expression came from.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

the periodic fable posted:

what? i know what it is, i'm asking where the expression came from.

Honestly I have no idea. I started hearing people say it in person and seeing people type it online and just figured out what it meant by the context it was used in.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Middleweight(up to 181 lbs). The fact that this division is going to be one of the most exciting divisions of the weekend despite missing a whole host of top notch guys(Marcelo Garcia, Sergio Moraes, Kron and Kayron Gracie, Thiago Alves, Rafael Barbosa, Murillo Santana off the top of my head) shows just how deep the talent level is at middleweight.

Originally I had figured the first semi final would be between Claudio Calasans(Atos) and Luis Gustavo Campos(checkmat) but I think it's a different Gustavo Campos than I'm thinking of(the guy I'm thinking of won the European Open Absolute division in 2010 and represents Atos team). This Campos is also really good, but I could see him losing to Clark Gracie before he makes the semi finals.

Claudio Calasans is the favorite in this division. Despite a third place finish at the 2006 Worlds Claudio was mostly unknown until he had a strong run at the 2009 worlds where he took home a bronze medal in the absolute while competing at middleweight. He followed that up by winning his weight division as well as the absolute division at the 2010 Abu Dhabi World Cup(where among others he beat Braulio Estima twice) last year he took home a silver medal at the worlds. Claudio's dad was some sort of Judo prodigy(earning his red and black belt by the age of 39) and while Claudio does have strong takedowns, he pulls guard quite a bit and has one of the best closed guards in the game.

Vs Lucas Leite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1mQwM9RSMY
vs Claudio Cardosa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn0-DOIIHkk
vs Márius Linke http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf2SIR-gC00

His opponent in the Semifinal will either be Luis Gustavo Campos or Clark Gracie. I don't know a ton about either guy but Campos won the rio open last year and Clark Gracie nearly beat Andre Galvao last month at the Abu Dhabi Pro Trials(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncX8GY6NfZY)

The most interesting match on the other side of the bracket will pit Abmar Barbosa(Drysdale BJJ) against Gilbert Burns(atos) in the quarterfinals. Barbosa really made a name for himself at this event last year finishing former world champ Lucas Leite by armbar and dominating Kron Gracie on the way to a silver medal. His run at the worlds was cut short by Murillo Santana in a match that budovideos took down from youtube despite not releasing on DVD. Barbosa has a very strong spider guard and is one of the most exciting active competitors in any weight class. Gilbert Burns spent the last few years at lightweight were near as I can tell the only guy to beat him was Michael Langhi. He moved up to middleweight for the European Championships in January and won that division. Like most of the Atos guys Burns has a very strong de la riva and likes to finish from the back. To be honest, I don't know who to pick in this match.

Abmar Barbosa vs Kron Gracie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcurB3ADpXI
Abmar Barbosa vs Lucas Leite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpxpy6LZP2o
Abmar Barbosa vs Kayron Gracie part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_LSut9Mm4k
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bLT4lJCh0s

Gilbert Burns vs Claudio Matos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjVxiaFCCJA
Styling on dudes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXqTz3UrUHg
Gilbert Burns vs Edson Pereira http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc-tqFqcE3A

The winner of that match will probably face Bruno Alves(Gracie Barra) in the semi finals. Bruno comes from the same school as the Estima Brothers and Otavio Sousa and the graciemag guys seem to think he can have a similar level of success as those guys. After tearing it up at brown belt and a strong performance at this years European Open I can't say I disagree.

Bruno Alves vs Claudio Calasans http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWdWaJW5lhE&feature
Vs Pedro Bessa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQVZX-5sUBI

Bruno has the tools to beat the winner of Barbosa/Burns but at this point he's the underdog against them.

In the finals I like Calasans to beat Barbosa or close out with Burns.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

shizen posted:

I don't think so. I assume you're american, and there seems to be a bigger sense of rivalry around here than what I'm used to, but so long as you're not some crazy spaz who is out to dojo rush the club, I'm sure no-one will mind that you show up to open mat to just get some variety in your partners. I roll with people on open mat who I've never seen before all the time, it's not that I get insulted or suspicious, it's just cool with more people to roll with. Probably wouldn't be so cool if you were some kind of secret blackbelt who is there to humiliate people, but as a beginner, who cares!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

I don't think so. I assume you're american, and there seems to be a bigger sense of rivalry around here than what I'm used to, but so long as you're not some crazy spaz who is out to dojo rush the club, I'm sure no-one will mind that you show up to open mat to just get some variety in your partners. I roll with people on open mat who I've never seen before all the time, it's not that I get insulted or suspicious, it's just cool with more people to roll with. Probably wouldn't be so cool if you were some kind of secret blackbelt who is there to humiliate people, but as a beginner, who cares!

I've always said that if I was a BB, I would put on a blue belt whenever I traveled, just to get that target off my back. Maybe make it a brown or purple belt.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Haha, so apparently, there have been a rash of guys at my gym that like to walk around with their shirt off after classes/during mat time, between rolls to basically show off their "amazing physiques"

Some dude posted this on the door of our locker room:
"Please do not take your shirt off after class and strut around(unless you are Pablo Popovitch, if you are, PLEASE do) everyone is laughing at you and you aren't cool."

I went home to google image search Pablo Popovitch.

holy poo poo hahahaha

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

Probably wouldn't be so cool if you were some kind of secret blackbelt who is there to humiliate people, but as a beginner, who cares!
Now you know how Roger feels. :haw:

:smith: though at what happened with Popovitch recently -- his mom passing away and his dad not being health-insured.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
I'm a bit late to the Gracie Barra discussion, but I'm a beginner at one of their schools. Our classes are almost exactly as described - 10-15 minutes of warmup, then we learn 3 techniques as outlined in the curriculum, and then 5-10 minutes of very controlled sparring/rolling at the end.

We have two brown belts and two black belts that teach the classes. The brown belts stick to the curriculum almost exactly and rarely put much context behind the moves. The black belts will often throw in some stuff not on the schedule and/or show how the different techniques are related or are used in more realistic situations. The black belts are also way better at paying attention to us as we work on things and giving useful, specific advice.

As for promotions, the ranks that don't matter are purely based on attendance, but they do hold the ones that do matter (the third stripe which allows you into advanced class and new belts) until one of the instructor's feels you are ready for it.

I find it a good way to learn, especially if I can make it at least two days per week. My main complaint is that they make you buy and wear their $155 gis, when I feel like I could get a more comfortable one online for less money.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

fawker posted:

holy poo poo hahahaha

All Pablo's dude's look like real life action figures.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

so I have been researching John Olav Einemo since he is fighting carwin soon. I found it interesting in a recent interview he said it took him 12 years to get his black belt. Yet he said he started training in 1997, and in 2001 was competing at adcc and made it to the semi finals losing to arnoa who become champion. Then in 03 he won the whole thing beating roger gracie-only guy to ever beat him at adcc also I guess-

So how is it that a guy that is obviously very talented takes him 12 years to get his black belt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW75iA3-Mcc the interview with him

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

shizen posted:

so I have been researching John Olav Einemo since he is fighting carwin soon. I found it interesting in a recent interview he said it took him 12 years to get his black belt. Yet he said he started training in 1997, and in 2001 was competing at adcc and made it to the semi finals losing to arnoa who become champion. Then in 03 he won the whole thing beating roger gracie-only guy to ever beat him at adcc also I guess-

So how is it that a guy that is obviously very talented takes him 12 years to get his black belt?

He did a lot of his training with just lower-ranked training partners and students in Norway, only visiting higher ranked people who could actually belt rank him very seldomly. He was technically a blue belt when he beat Roger.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Pretty much. There are extremely few Norwegian black belts, and even fewer back when Einemo was on the rise. It's hard getting a belt when there's no-one around to award you one, and very few people will give you one without having trained with you for a good while.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

fatherdog posted:

He did a lot of his training with just lower-ranked training partners and students in Norway, only visiting higher ranked people who could actually belt rank him very seldomly. He was technically a blue belt when he beat Roger.

wow that is crazy he was able to have so much success without many high level guys training with him. Also pretty cool that adcc was one of the few in brazil also when he beat roger. Why did he stop fighting/grappling for so long though?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

shizen posted:

wow that is crazy he was able to have so much success without many high level guys training with him. Also pretty cool that adcc was one of the few in brazil also when he beat roger. Why did he stop fighting/grappling for so long though?

A series of staph infections and knee injuries iirc

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
He got some crazy flesh eating bacterial infection after a foot surgery. Supposedly he almost lost his foot/leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuonManLaserJab
Nov 6, 2010

- JIU-JITSU (18 Submissions)
- QUANTUM PHYSICS

shizen posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW75iA3-Mcc the interview with him

I thought the average was ten, like it has been shown to take for mastery of other difficult things (someone post that study)? So maybe he was roughly average, maybe he wasn't always spending the same amount of time on BJJ because he wasn't BJ Penn not having to work a day in his life, maybe his coach is tight with belts...this is ignorant white belt speculation.

Speaking of my ignorance I really want Megaton to win but only because I learned about Zelda before I learned about explosive payloads. Does he have a good hammerlock?