Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chade Johnson posted:

Fast rap and Southern rap discussion and no mention of Three 6 Mafia/HCP? For shame. T-Rock, lord Infamous, Kingpink Skinny Pimp all do/did that stacatto fast rap style. I mean poo poo, DJ Paul and Juicy J are still putting out bumpin rear end mixtapes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10wBVFZ0Hs0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXQQd4PXepg&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=MLGxdCwVVULXe07CQHJvN2vZgjUlwMrlgG

It's so sad HCP/Prophet Posse lost like 90% of their artists through the years. They had some serious talent come and go through that label. Greed is a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Bang3r posted:

My friends been listening to alot of Die Antwoord recently and I've given them a bit of a listen to.. I was wondering what everyones opinion is of these guys? (if you've heard of them) im not huge on hiphop and I've done a bit of reading up on them and im not sure if it's a giant gimmick etc

some videos for the unintiated

Enter the ninja http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cegdR0GiJl4
Evil Boy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbW9JqM7vho
Ritch Bitch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bdeizHM9OU

Short answer: Die Antwoord is garbage.

I'm at an impasse trying to decide who my favorite Wu mc is, so this is just a standard issue. Ghostface and Rae both came out with solid as hell albums within the last year. Love it.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn

cardedagain posted:

new K.R.I.T. full length. Return Of 4Eva.
direct download: https://dontquoteeither

don't do this please!

After a first listen to this it's a really strong release. Nothing jumped out at me the way Country poo poo did off of Krit Wuz Here, but every track stood out distinctly; this will be in the rotation for a minute. While I was listening I thought of something I read on CB a while ago where Noz was saying that a lot of neo-country-rap makers are kind of missing the point and just aping the form of the classic UGK, etc. records while failing to develop their own distinctive personality on wax. KRIT really seems to be coming into his own here and though he still reminds me of nobody more than Pimp C, he really just sounds like himself. The album's main subjects seem to be poverty and positivity*, as exemplified by this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqYgfX6dfxc

*I caught a "the world's hosed up but we gotta do the best we can" vibe from the LP as a whole

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 29, 2011

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers
The OP actually reminded me, what ever happened to Ray Cash? I thought he was pretty decent and after C.O.D. it seemed like he dropped off the face of the earth. Cleveland Urkle got no love I guess.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

nnnAdam posted:

The OP actually reminded me, what ever happened to Ray Cash? I thought he was pretty decent and after C.O.D. it seemed like he dropped off the face of the earth. Cleveland Urkle got no love I guess.
He did a mixtape called Rosé Ray a year or so ago that I listened to but couldn't tell you anything about today and maybe was on a couple Chip tha Ripper tracks I think. Looks like the most recent thing from him that I have on my computer is a BMF freestyle that I'm listening to right now. It's... not bad I guess? Seems like dude fell off after his debut, same old story.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

cardedagain posted:

direct download: https://s3.amazonaws.com/Big_K_R_I_T/ReturnOf4eva/returnof4eva.zip

ON THIS>

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Diodeous posted:

I do sorta the same thing a city at a time. I started on Houston/Dallas/San Ant, working my way through NOLA/Baton Rouge right now. I think the stories are more interesting than some of the music, especially the history of labels like Cash Money and then groups like SUC. A good example of this is a short history of Cash Money Records' independent years from the Amoeba blog.

I've always been a huge fan of CMR affiliated acts since about 1999-2004. I started on BG'z True Story (11 year old weezy lol) and went from there, including that last UNLV album. Thanks for the link! I'm looking forward to checking out all these dudes I never got a chance to. I can hear 3 or 4 samples out of that Ricky B track that showed up on later Cash Money releases, love it.

I'd definitely include Texas in the Dirty South genre, because I think Houston contributed a huge amount to the style. Also I gotta include a mention of June 27 from my hero DJ Screw and the Screwed Up Click (which was mentioned earlier). I'm pretty much bangin' screw all the time, even to this day almost 10 years after his passing. I like him so much because he seemed to appreciate all the current hip hop acts, north, west, south, as long as it was good.

Chade Johnson posted:

Fast rap and Southern rap discussion and no mention of Three 6 Mafia/HCP? For shame. T-Rock, lord Infamous, Kingpink Skinny Pimp all do/did that stacatto fast rap style. I mean poo poo, DJ Paul and Juicy J are still putting out bumpin rear end mixtapes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10wBVFZ0Hs0

I got you with the Skinny reference in my earlier post, and Koopsta. I really enjoy all that Prophet Posse horrorcore devil poo poo. I wanted to share a couple of references I have of finding music by them if anybody was interested, and it seems there's a bit. Some dude wrote a blog called Darkside Klick and it lists a bunch of old Memphis acts, including Lil Jule who did an album in 1994 called Ashes 2 Ashes. Don't try 2 Test His Nuts! I don't know if he was affiliated with Prophet but it's pretty obvious that DJ Paul's voice is on this track.
http://dahypnotize.blogspot.com/search/label/DJ%20Paul
There's also this one, but it's got probably 300 artists listed, so its gonna be tough finding something worth your time.
http://bottomofthemap.blogspot.com/search/label/DJ%20Paul
If there's any issue with sharing these blogs due to files I'll remove them if I'm not dealt with before I know it.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Bluetooth human being posted:

Royce Da 5'9" and Slaughterhouse is actually the reason I started listening to rap in the first place.

If you like Royce then you should check out "Bar Exam 3" and "Death Is Certain". I personally think those are his best works.

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

Jock Mocken posted:

He did a mixtape called Rosé Ray a year or so ago that I listened to but couldn't tell you anything about today and maybe was on a couple Chip tha Ripper tracks I think. Looks like the most recent thing from him that I have on my computer is a BMF freestyle that I'm listening to right now. It's... not bad I guess? Seems like dude fell off after his debut, same old story.

That's a shame because I really did enjoy a lot of C.O.D. but yeah, listening to some of this "newer" stuff it really sounds like a hard regression which is unfortunate.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

Fudge for Hands posted:

Texas, Memphis stuff

This post reminded me to unrar this Trapaholics Skinny Pimp tape that's been sitting in my music folder for a few months, and that I need to download some more lo-fi old-school Memphis cassette rips. Vanbags is the dude you really want to talk Memphis poo poo with though. I did really like that Cheesehead Remix of Blast Off that Playa Fly did after the Super Bowl, dude can still rap his rear end off.

As far as Texas/fast rap poo poo nobody's talked about, I saw a while ago that there's a new Mr. Pookie and Mr. Lucci project and got a song from it on trapsntrunks but it just made me listen to their old stuff like Slab a bunch more times. "I smoke bigger bowls wit' bigger pros and bigger hos..."

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
I get the feeling this is gonna be decisive in this thread but A.Dd+ dropped a free album today. They're out of Dallas; I've been following these guys for a bit, and they've grown on me. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, it's a really weird album. I get the feeling Andre 3000 is a huge influence of theirs, though they're no where near his level. Production is nice.

I found it started kinda slow but standout tracks for me are Southbound, Greedy, Mary Go, Likeamug, Goodwill

http://addplus.bandcamp.com/album/when-pigs-fly

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jock Mocken posted:

don't do this please!

After a first listen to this it's a really strong release. Nothing jumped out at me the way Country poo poo did off of Krit Wuz Here, but every track stood out distinctly; this will be in the rotation for a minute. While I was listening I thought of something I read on CB a while ago where Noz was saying that a lot of neo-country-rap makers are kind of missing the point and just aping the form of the classic UGK, etc. records while failing to develop their own distinctive personality on wax. KRIT really seems to be coming into his own here and though he still reminds me of nobody more than Pimp C, he really just sounds like himself. The album's main subjects seem to be poverty and positivity*, as exemplified by this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqYgfX6dfxc

*I caught a "the world's hosed up but we gotta do the best we can" vibe from the LP as a whole

I think Noz's point was more that the style wasn't marketable-the segment of people who want "intellectual" or "conscious" rap doesn't have much overlap with the people who generally go for the kinda-throwback southern style (think he was originally talking about Stalley's release). The other stuff he brought up in his freshman preview thing about Krit.

But I'm feeling the album on first listen, although not sure I like the production as much as his first. The singles (or I'm assuming the songs he put out with clean versions are singles) are actually the standout tracks for me so far.

Also, E-40 released a couple albums last week, and on first listen they're def something I'd recommend. The production pulls in some hyphy elements, but has a bunch of other stuff going on. And most people have heard 40 rhyme so you know if you're gonna like it or not already (just in case you haven't, here's a song from the album)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTXgLw8O-Ng

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Bulging Nipples posted:

I get the feeling this is gonna be decisive in this thread but A.Dd+ dropped a free album today. They're out of Dallas; I've been following these guys for a bit, and they've grown on me. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, it's a really weird album. I get the feeling Andre 3000 is a huge influence of theirs, though they're no where near his level. Production is nice.

I found it started kinda slow but standout tracks for me are Southbound, Greedy, Mary Go, Likeamug, Goodwill

With the way you started talking about them and that name I was worried it was gonna be some nerdcore bullshit and I was gonna have to start a whole shitfest (fortunately it's not). Listened to the preview track and it sounds pretty nice so I'll def check the whole thing (although if it turns into nerdcore the aforementioned shitfest is going down)

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

alansmithee posted:

With the way you started talking about them and that name I was worried it was gonna be some nerdcore bullshit and I was gonna have to start a whole shitfest (fortunately it's not). Listened to the preview track and it sounds pretty nice so I'll def check the whole thing (although if it turns into nerdcore the aforementioned shitfest is going down)

Ha, no they're not nerdcore. I've just shared some of their stuff with friends and the opinion seemed to be split right down the middle between real nice and a little weird for their taste

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

alansmithee posted:

I think Noz's point was more that the style wasn't marketable-the segment of people who want "intellectual" or "conscious" rap doesn't have much overlap with the people who generally go for the kinda-throwback southern style (think he was originally talking about Stalley's release). The other stuff he brought up in his freshman preview thing about Krit.

But I'm feeling the album on first listen, although not sure I like the production as much as his first. The singles (or I'm assuming the songs he put out with clean versions are singles) are actually the standout tracks for me so far.

Also, E-40 released a couple albums last week, and on first listen they're def something I'd recommend. The production pulls in some hyphy elements, but has a bunch of other stuff going on. And most people have heard 40 rhyme so you know if you're gonna like it or not already (just in case you haven't, here's a song from the album)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTXgLw8O-Ng

oh yeah that's right, haha I actually downloaded that Stalley tape whenever it came out and still haven't listened to it. anyway I think that Return... maybe doesn't have quite the variety of production that Krit Wuz Here had, but then it was also made in a much shorter timespan - more of a snapshot of an artist rather than a timelapse if you'll forgive the clumsy metaphor.

40 Watta is just too good at rapping to release only one album at a time anymore, drat. Don't think there's any beat he couldn't master.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Jock Mocken posted:

40 Watta is just too good at rapping to release only one album at a time anymore, drat. Don't think there's any beat he couldn't master.

He's being ridiculously prolific right now too, he's released four double-album length albums in less than a calendar year.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

cardedagain posted:

direct download: https://stopquoting

gently caress yeah

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 29, 2011

Roymega
Oct 10, 2004

-crickets-

Bluetooth human being posted:

Royce Da 5'9" and Slaughterhouse is actually the reason I started listening to rap in the first place. It started with The One, and just grew from there.

Is Tech N9ne the guy who does that song about Malibu, Pineapple or something else (basically rapping about a mixed drink or something)? Cause I hate that song, but never heard anything else by him. Crybaby is pretty good so far though.

Edit: Found it just after I posted. Caribou Lou. Was there another version of it? My sister-in-law would play it all the damned time.

Yeah Royce is a good start into hip-hop honestly; not too-mainstream, but not exactly underground, and he keeps good company. As far as good Tech songs, I agree with caveman, Anghellic is vintage Tech, he's got a lot of hidden gems too...

Rock N' Rollin'
Leave Me Alone
Red Nose
I'm A Playa
poo poo Is Real

I respect the hell outta the guy, being an aspiring musician myself, building his label from the ground up and selling a million albums without a major label is admirable no matter if you like his music or not

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

cardedagain posted:

direct download: https://arghisdfqw

Aw he switched up his style a little. I kinda miss the Pimp C Jr thing he had going on Krit Wuz Here.

Great album so far though!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 29, 2011

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Fudge for Hands posted:

I'd definitely include Texas in the Dirty South genre, because I think Houston contributed a huge amount to the style. Also I gotta include a mention of June 27 from my hero DJ Screw and the Screwed Up Click (which was mentioned earlier). I'm pretty much bangin' screw all the time, even to this day almost 10 years after his passing. I like him so much because he seemed to appreciate all the current hip hop acts, north, west, south, as long as it was good.

To me, Screw had a better ear for music than most people. I might listen to a screw tape and not feel a song, but I almost always find myself rewinding to catch what he chooses to chop or to appreciate what Screw does to a beat. There's very very few people out there who can emulate Screw's sound, and I think only Michael 5000 Watts and OG Ron C are able to pull it off. Every chopped and screwed I listen to with the exception of the aforementioned and a couple others like DJ Marksman seems to be the wrong speed or they chop at weird times so it doesn't flow well.

KRIT is gonna be hosed signing a major label (or even mid major) deal because the expectations are going to be based on his talent, not his commercial appeal. KRIT Wuz Here was really really good and half of that could've been released as quality singles (if the samples could be cleared) but most rap fans won't buy it. I went and saw KRIT about a month ago in a club around here and there were only about 40 people there to see him. The show had to be rescheduled for the next night in a smaller venue and there were even less people there. He put on one of the best shows I've seen in a while despite a sub-par sound system and wackass stage. As soon as his last song ended he went right to the crowd and immediately thanked every single person for coming and gave them time to talk with him. I really really can't see most people buying KRIT's music, as it seems like only avid internet users are the ones following him. In this day and age, he's not going to sell 500,000 units, but he could certainly drop 3-4 albums that sell close to 100,000 each.

On the subject of southern rappers, what do you guys think of 4-Ize? He works with Locsmith (you might know him from Outskirts, the Unofficial Outkast remix album) and is pretty talented, but I don't know how many people really know about him outside of GA/FL, unless you're way up on Luda's friends.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--eSmGfHT-I

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Bulging Nipples posted:

This is dope. They don't sound that weird to me, but they are definitely tight.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

John Brown posted:

If you like Royce then you should check out "Bar Exam 3" and "Death Is Certain". I personally think those are his best works.

The Bad Meets Evil LP was my favorite thing from Royce or Em ever. They did a version of that same idea later with Method Man, too, which is neat but it wasn't as good.

That recent Royce skinny-jeans dis song was pretty hilarious, to me.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!

Bulging Nipples posted:

They're out of Dallas

I should be paying more attention to my local scene I guess.

Edit: I was never really all that big on Cheers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-SESh707V4

I'm pretty surprised Violent J didn't make it into the background somewhere.

HatchetDown fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 29, 2011

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Jock Mocken posted:

"I smoke bigger bowls wit' bigger pros and bigger hos..."

That brings back ol' memories. Now I'm going to listen to "There They Do" over and over.

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
I know instinctively tht listening to Das Racist/Immortal Technique/Wu-Tang makes you a dork and I'm no that guy but if you ignore all the misogyny and pointless consumpton in top 40 rap aren't you giving it a free pass out of some need for authenticity or looking at it through a sort of blackface lense? This is from someone who consumes rap not "sage francis raps about real poo poo man!" bullshit

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Gaupo Guacho posted:

I know instinctively tht listening to Das Racist/Immortal Technique/Wu-Tang makes you a dork and I'm no that guy but if you ignore all the misogyny and pointless consumpton in top 40 rap aren't you giving it a free pass out of some need for authenticity or looking at it through a sort of blackface lense? This is from someone who consumes rap not "sage francis raps about real poo poo man!" bullshit

I really don't read your post at all, but i'm going to say this: listen to more mobb deep.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Gaupo Guacho posted:

Can we get this added to the OP as an example of what not to post or think?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Gaupo Guacho posted:

listening to Wu-Tang makes you a dork

I got confused around this part.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Seriously there is nothing wrong with listening to Wutang.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Seriously there is nothing wrong with listening to Wutang.
The only seriously wrong thing is when you throw up the Wu-Tang hand salute at non-Wu events.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Gaupo Guacho posted:

listening to Wu-Tang makes you a dork

I've made some pretty bad posts but really?...
On that note my favorite track from R4 is probably "American Rapstar" after first listen.

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Ok forget wu-tang i was going to say something like Odd future anyway.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Oh hey someone pointed out to me that the Big K.R.I.T. full length was released for free on his website, sorry about editing out those links (here's a link to the official website: http://returnof4eva.com/ )

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Gaupo Guacho posted:

Ok forget wu-tang i was going to say something like Odd future anyway.

i read your post like 6 times and even replaced wu-tang with OF and still don't get what you're trying to say

also sage francis does rap about real poo poo sometimes its just that hes not very good at it and its usually boring and way too "free form" for at least me and mostly everyone else

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Gaupo Guacho posted:

Everything popular in america is misogynist and materialistic, rap just more explicit and honest about it.

I happen to often like weird rear end hip-hop in the vein of Antipop consortium and other groups that make me a dork and Noz linked up this and its tight:
Zeroh (or blaqbird, not sure which this is actualyl under) - I was sad : http://tumblinerb.com/post/4188278203/blaqbird-i-was-sad-tumblr-2011-for-all

snyprmag fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 30, 2011

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Gaupo Guacho posted:

I know instinctively tht listening to Das Racist/Immortal Technique/Wu-Tang makes you a dork
None of these things is true (unless you take Immortal Technique seriously as a political commentator)

Gaupo Guacho posted:

if you ignore all the misogyny and pointless consumpton in top 40 rap aren't you giving it a free pass out of some need for authenticity or looking at it through a sort of blackface lense?
Why does someone need a condescending excuse to listen to "top 40 rap" and not rock or techno or whatever?

P.S. Yesterday I listened to an Underground True Hip Hop Song For Dorks and R.A. the Rugged Man literally said "gently caress women's rights" and I think Apathy has a song where the chorus goes "beat your bitch up" so

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
this just in: rappers are kinda abusive towards women unless the song is about how awesome pussy is

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
KRIT reminds me of outkast in the best way but still a twist

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

Gaupo Guacho posted:

I'm not being sarcastic when I say this....or ironic: Go on. Especially about the blackface lens (which is the lens I use to view life).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Can anyone direct me to a youtube video?

It's a rap battle and the guy starts making fun of this guy like he's not there (I believe he's short)

Anyway he starts stuttering and says "I didn't even see you there!" Crowd erupts.

Please?

• Locked thread