Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
Pretty much anyone can get a discount at Macy's provided you had to travel 250 miles to get to the store.

http://www.visitmacysusa.com/visitors/savings.cfm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

poemdexter posted:

If you show macy's your jihad card, you get an additional 20% off your next purchase.

This deal isn't as good as it sounds though because it only applies to suicide vests.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

RagnarokAngel posted:

I made it through the month with $5 to spare. Goddamn that's horribly depressing.

I made it through the month with like 100$ ish but that is only because that is the way I grew up. I never got to play sports because my parents couldn't afford it and didn't have the time to take off work. My parents never showed up for any of my school events either. It is terrible to have to say no to everything and never pony up for work gift pots and such but... that is how it goes.

I did end with my car repo'd but that also depends on what state you are in. In TN for example they can't repo the mode of transportation for the sole/primary earner because it would essentially make it so the collections agency would never get a dime. I know this because it happened to my parents.

FML =\ 6 figures in debt from school and a lousy job to show for it. At least I get 5 vacation days and 5 sick days a year. That's better than most.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I couldn't say no to any of the "kid" requests because I grew up in an upper middle class family and felt I should answer honestly if I was in that situation. Would be hard for me that's for sure.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Orange Devil posted:

This deal isn't as good as it sounds though because it only applies to suicide vests.

But they're Louis Vuitton suicide vests.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The toughest - and perhaps most interesting - choice in Spent is the one where you get in a fender-bender with your kid in the car. Do you do the right thing and wipe out a good chunk of your finances, or do you speed away and set a bad example for your kid (not to mention screw over someone who might be struggling himself, for all you know)?

E: 420 cheat on the typing test every day

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 30, 2011

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

For that guy who had the sister in trouble and her mom thought all people on welfare were freeloaders, have her try the following game: http://playspent.org/ (linked in LF a while ago, but I don't think it's made the rounds in D&D before). I made it to like day 8 before losing.

Sorry, but that game is bullshit. I've been dead broke and I know how bad it sucks, and actually it was well constructed in that it had a lot of the decisions I was having to make. But prices are over the top and the poo poo comes at you unnaturally hard and fast as a scare factor.

It's much easier to make it through a month poor when it's not day 2 and you have a car accident, day 3 your mom's sick, day 4 vet bill, etc.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Also, it randomly calls you a fat diabetic slob even if you buy nothing but healthy food from the store.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

For that guy who had the sister in trouble and her mom thought all people on welfare were freeloaders, have her try the following game: http://playspent.org/ (linked in LF a while ago, but I don't think it's made the rounds in D&D before). I made it to like day 8 before losing.

I made it with 248 bucks to spare and rent due. Man that was depressing.

Even though I type 80 words a minute, I still failed the temp exam, which I find BS, but whatever.

I did, however, go with my upbringing and sacrifice for the kids, with the exception of the school play one, I went to work instead.

I drove away on the fender bender, but kept the registration up to date. I also didn't give the money back that I saw someone drop.

Still..no next months rent.

Nathilus posted:

Sorry, but that game is bullshit. I've been dead broke and I know how bad it sucks, and actually it was well constructed in that it had a lot of the decisions I was having to make. But prices are over the top and the poo poo comes at you unnaturally hard and fast as a scare factor.

It's much easier to make it through a month poor when it's not day 2 and you have a car accident, day 3 your mom's sick, day 4 vet bill, etc.

Have you been 'broke' or have you been 'destitute poor.' There's a huge difference. Most of my uptown born and bred friends will talk about being 'broke' in college and being forced to eat Ramen, but backup was a phone call away.

There's a big difference.

TyroneGoldstein fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 30, 2011

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Habibi posted:

But they're Louis Vuitton suicide vests.

Eh they look great but you only get to wear them once.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Have you been 'broke' or have you been 'destitute poor.' There's a huge difference. Most of my uptown born and bred friends will talk about being 'broke' in college and being forced to eat Ramen, but backup was a phone call away.

There's a big difference.

This is a gigantic difference. I left home at 18, after having sent my dad to jail and my mom is a bipolar useless mess, while I was still in high school. My bleeding ulcer hurt so bad while I was trying to finish high school and pay rent. Luckily I moved to a city with a good bus system so I had no car costs, just a 24$ a month bus card. 4 months in I got a UTI and after a few days of drinking cranberry juice I couldn't bear the pain any more and when to a hospital. It cost me $600 and I cried my eyes out for days and had panic attacks because it was more than I had. I paid $50 a month until it was paid off but I was scared.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
I made it through the month with $26 but did many things I found both disheartening and somewhat unethical in my worldview and it just made me happy I have a college education and a job I can't just get fired from in a growth industry.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAyCdfOXvec

You see, setting up a no-fly zone is exactly like a full scale invasion, and furthermore

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

TerminalSaint posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAyCdfOXvec

You see, setting up a no-fly zone is exactly like a full scale invasion, and furthermore

I'll do you one better. A little old, but makes you hate this world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmWdExg4kic

Really, all his "FTR" videos on that channel are just unbelievable

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 30, 2011

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Is there some kind of deep seated inability for the right to produce anything worth a bit of artistic merit, or anything that hits the mark for their intended demographic without coming off as incredibly lovely? Every time conservatives try to do something edgy, cutting edge and relevant, it turns out much more like a self-parody. That 'For the Record' thing is particularly maddening. Watching a bunch of grunge effects flash around my screen while listening to some "hip" guy rail against gays and liberals just doesn't add up the way they think it would.

Even before the internet, when I was a kid my brother and I would watch TBN and just laugh hysterically at the programming for young people, 'Fire by Night' was particularly amusing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wcd-7EnmS0

In case you feel like cutting this link short, skip to about 4:30. Apparently Ty is QUEER!

tek79 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 30, 2011

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

tek79 posted:

Even before the internet, when I was a kid my brother and I would watch TBN and just laugh hysterically at the programming for young people, 'Fire by Night' was particularly amusing:

Wow. Also, this reminds me of FN's attempt to create their own version of TDS.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
This is part two...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuxTbIyeqVA&feature=related

@4:10 -- I feel sick. :(

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I think it's a bit more effective to have someone watch the first episode of 30 Days.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

SmuglyDismissed posted:

This is part two...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuxTbIyeqVA&feature=related

@4:10 -- I feel sick. :(

Oh my god.

The gay guy is actually spreading AIDS as fast as he can because "the more people that get it, the faster they'll have a cure!"

Homosexuals : They hate Christ and they're here to give you AIDS.

Apparently they did one that covered Dungeons and Dragons and I've been looking for it but so far all I've found is a lot about how heavy metal turns you into a satan worshiper.

FAT DICK RAY
Aug 21, 2010

So they'd recorded a result from one of the times it worked. It was that recorded result that was displayed at the end of each demo.

pillsburysoldier posted:

I'll do you one better. A little old, but makes you hate this world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmWdExg4kic

Really, all his "FTR" videos on that channel are just unbelievable

Wow. I don't know how that guy can look at himself in the mirror every morning. "They're not outlawing homosexuality, just homosexual acts! God invented capital punishment!" Yep, because that's what Jesus would have wanted. Killing people for homosexual acts. Actually, I seem to remember Jesus going on a homosexual-killing rampage. That happened, right?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I think my favorite is saying Jesus didn't throw out the Old Testament. I'm pretty sure he did, and that's exactly why the original Christians joined.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think my favorite is saying Jesus didn't throw out the Old Testament. I'm pretty sure he did, and that's exactly why the original Christians joined.

Matthew 5:17-19
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

People tend to point to those verses to justify their condemnation of homosexuality, but they never use it to condemn, say, wearing cotton-polyester blends or eating shrimp. :iamafag:

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson
They excuse that by using a vision Peter received in Acts, some unclean animals revealed in a cloth. God was all "Eat these Peter" and Peter was like "No they're unclean" and God said "Are you calling stuff I made unclean?" He was trying to tell Peter it was cool to talk about Jesus with Gentiles, and that keeping his message restricted to the Jews was not cool, but the added message of "We can eat whatever we want" has been tacked on.

At least that's how I was taught it.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.

Ninja_Orca posted:

They excuse that by using a vision Peter received in Acts, some unclean animals revealed in a cloth. God was all "Eat these Peter" and Peter was like "No they're unclean" and God said "Are you calling stuff I made unclean?" He was trying to tell Peter it was cool to talk about Jesus with Gentiles, and that keeping his message restricted to the Jews was not cool, but the added message of "We can eat whatever we want" has been tacked on.

At least that's how I was taught it.

I remember in paul's letters he mentions eating unclean meat is alright as well.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Oh my god.

The gay guy is actually spreading AIDS as fast as he can because "the more people that get it, the faster they'll have a cure!"

Homosexuals : They hate Christ and they're here to give you AIDS.

Apparently they did one that covered Dungeons and Dragons and I've been looking for it but so far all I've found is a lot about how heavy metal turns you into a satan worshiper.

This is why so much conservative comedy doesn't work. Comedy has always been at its best when it exposes the folly of those who are in power or trying to put themselves in power by keeping others down, or exaggerating some truth. Conservative comedy is often simple bullying. These people are trying to put people down when they're already marginalized and ostracized, not to mention sick, suffering, lonely, and dying.

E: This too
VVV

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 31, 2011

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

tek79 posted:

Is there some kind of deep seated inability for the right to produce anything worth a bit of artistic merit, or anything that hits the mark for their intended demographic without coming off as incredibly lovely? Every time conservatives try to do something edgy, cutting edge and relevant, it turns out much more like a self-parody. That 'For the Record' thing is particularly maddening. Watching a bunch of grunge effects flash around my screen while listening to some "hip" guy rail against gays and liberals just doesn't add up the way they think it would.

In case you feel like cutting this link short, skip to about 4:30. Apparently Ty is QUEER!

To make good art, you must be able to see it through the eyes of your audience. If you think 'empathy' if a dirty word, you are going to have trouble making good art.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Pththya-lyi posted:

Matthew 5:17-19
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

People tend to point to those verses to justify their condemnation of homosexuality, but they never use it to condemn, say, wearing cotton-polyester blends or eating shrimp. :iamafag:

I did not know that. That seems contradictory with chucking out the fire and brimstone stuff though.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Musings on the State of Things by a Conservative former Republican Homeschool Dad

Conservative Blogger posted:

As embodied by the teachers unions. This excerpt from an article in today's Detroit News entitled "Tougher teacher no-strike law pushed" shows how the left uses logic, peaceful dialog, and uplifting art to argue their point:

Acrimony over school funding played out Tuesday in controversy over the MEA's Facebook page and its image of Snyder with satanic stars, red eyes and blood spatter. The photo appeared to have been posted on March 11, according to Michigan Capitol Confidential, an online news agency run by the Mackinac Center for Public Policy, a conservative think tank.
The agency alerted the MEA to the photo on Tuesday morning, and it was removed minutes later.

Ken Braun, managing editor of Michigan Capitol Confidential, said his staff had noticed even before discovering the photo that the tenor of comments posted on the page had grown remarkably harsh in recent days.Folks - these are the people who have control of your kids for 180 days a year over 13 years. Think about that for a minute. 13 of the most formative years your kids will have in their entire lifetime are spent with people who for the most part think that drawing demonic horns and blood spatters is an acceptable way of expressing themselves.

Is it any wonder that people home educate their kids more and more these days?

My reply

quote:

Is there any evidence that the person posting this picture is a teacher?

No.

Then this what we call a "baseless claim."

Most people learn about those in public school.

His reply

quote:

Hmm...let's see...MEA...Michigan Education Association - largest teacher's union in the state. And they have a Facebook page. I wonder who might read that. Simple logic would indicate teachers, public school administrators, and the occasional journalist.

But you're right NE. It was much more likely to have been Newt Gingrich. Or some other evil conservative intent on destroying the world. A teacher would never do the things described in that article. Thanks for setting me straight.

Simple logic indeed.
I think this is going to be my new favorite bad conservative blog to read. :munch:

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010
He's outraged at people using (probably badly Photoshopped) horns, satan stars and bloodsplatters in their images? I guess he's also outraged at anti-choice movements using graphic images of dead, bloody, sometimes dismembered babies to little children and basically anyone they can get, or is that okay because they "have a just cause"?

This is almost as petty as those conservatives that get all pissy over teachers using sick notes to get out and protest in Wisconsin.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Kubrick posted:

Musings on the State of Things by a Conservative former Republican Homeschool Dad
I think this is going to be my new favorite bad conservative blog to read. :munch:

Can you post the link to his blog? I wouldn't mind reading it.

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

Corbet posted:

Can you post the link to his blog? I wouldn't mind reading it.
A Google search gave me this: http://providentiagrp.blogspot.com/

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Kubrick posted:

Dude. It doesn't look like he had received a single comment prior to yours. Now he's going to think that people actually read his crap drivel.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Habibi posted:

Dude. It doesn't look like he had received a single comment prior to yours. Now he's going to think that people actually read his crap drivel.

I didn't see that. What have I done...

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
The "drill baby drill" remarks are making the rounds on facebook again. (WE COULD HAVE STOPPED THESE GAS PRICES OMG!!!)

Anyone have a link to that graph of projected oil extraction from the deep water drilling? The one that shows it's like a 1% increase in output 10 years from now?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Deuce posted:

The "drill baby drill" remarks are making the rounds on facebook again. (WE COULD HAVE STOPPED THESE GAS PRICES OMG!!!)

Anyone have a link to that graph of projected oil extraction from the deep water drilling? The one that shows it's like a 1% increase in output 10 years from now?

Wouldn't that more or less equal about six months of gas usage, at most?

Wasn't that area classified as a 'strategic reserve' (i.e. for use in another world war) for a reason?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Nucleic Acids posted:

Wouldn't that more or less equal about six months of gas usage, at most?

Wasn't that area classified as a 'strategic reserve' (i.e. for use in another world war) for a reason?

There is some bullshit floating around on the internet claiming that our reserves are far larger than that.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

This is why so much conservative comedy doesn't work. Comedy has always been at its best when it exposes the folly of those who are in power or trying to put themselves in power by keeping others down, or exaggerating some truth. Conservative comedy is often simple bullying. These people are trying to put people down when they're already marginalized and ostracized, not to mention sick, suffering, lonely, and dying.

E: This too
VVV

There are funny conservatives. Drew Carey, for one. Dennis Miller. Rush Limbaugh was pretty funny back in the day, when he was less bitter and angry. There's not nearly as many funny conservatives, for sure, but they are there. I do agree that most blatantly political conservative humor tends to fall flat, but the same thing applies to blatantly liberal humor as well. It's hard to be funny with an agenda.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

gowb posted:

There are funny conservatives. Drew Carey, for one. Dennis Miller. Rush Limbaugh was pretty funny back in the day, when he was less bitter and angry. There's not nearly as many funny conservatives, for sure, but they are there. I do agree that most blatantly political conservative humor tends to fall flat, but the same thing applies to blatantly liberal humor as well. It's hard to be funny with an agenda.

I wouldn't count Dennis Miller as "funny", but whatever makes you laugh I guess.

I'd agree, there's a lot of funny conservatives, but there's not a lot of people that can make conservatism funny.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

The part where you said Dennis Miller was "funny" and a "comedian" was pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

When you said Dennis Miller I thought you meant Dennis Leary and got really confused.