Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Guillermus posted:

That Rayman game looks awesome :allears:

Btw, i want to play a Might & Magic game, wich one should i go for? M&M 6 and 7 look nice for me and they're perfect for lose time at job with my netbook.

I'll vouch for 7. It's more finished/balanced than 6 and much less stale than 8. Also, Acromage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, 7 is probably the one you should go for. It's an improvement over 6 in the most important ways.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
4 and 5 are even better, though! and have cute pixels instead of ancient 3d.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Holy poo poo. So good sprite (or sprite-like) animation isn't dead on the corporate level. This looks incredible, eat it Epic Mickey.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Holy poo poo. So good sprite (or sprite-like) animation isn't dead on the corporate level. This looks incredible, eat it Epic Mickey.

It is. People do like cost efficient Flash style animated stuff though.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

al-azad posted:

I have money, who do I throw it at to make this faster??? Ubisoft always has something that makes me want to hate them then they do stuff like From Dust, Scott Pilgrim, and re-releasing all the Might & Magic games and I love them again. They're like the douchebag older brother who picks on you but whenever you need a ride or someone to stand up against the schoolyard bullies he's there without hesitation.

The best thing I can think of is to get the GOG release(s?) to show your support for classic Rayman, and tell your friends to do the same rather than buying the next retarded Rabbid game. v:v:v

Although for the uninitiated, beware; Rayman / Forever is an awesome game but a balls-hard one. It was so well known for its difficulty that they dialed it down several notches when they made the GBA port. (It doesn't help that to even be allowed access to the final boss you are required to 100% the game.)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

Agreed, animations look so fluid and the whole art is colorful and fun that it feels really nice.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Here is where I admit I have never played a non-Rabbids Rayman game. No particular reason. I should fix that.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!
Well I know what I'm purchasing first come payday this weekend then! Rayman bliss here I come!

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Man, these Ubisoft releases have been awesome, and it's nice that they're coming with so many extras.

Guillermus posted:

Btw, i want to play a Might & Magic game, wich one should i go for? M&M 6 and 7 look nice for me and they're perfect for lose time at job with my netbook.

Personally I'm a bigger fan of VI than VII, mainly because VI is easier to break and is far less balanced (normally this would be a negative, but Might and Magic is at its best when you're snapping it in half like a twig). That said, it's harder than VII when played "normally" and definitely isn't as polished. The lack of Arcomage is a drawback too.

The main reason I prefer VI on GoG is because it also comes with 3-5. They're absolutely fantastic games, especially 4-5 which make up the single gigantic game World of Xeen, which is the best RPG even made in that style. Only Wizardry 7 rivals it.

Of course, VII is cheaper, so you could always dip your toes in there and then pick up I-VI later if VII grabs you.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
World of Xeen is so good that if you're going to spend any money on the M&M series at this point you should spend it there.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Bah, already have Rayman on PSN. I guess if Rayman 2 goes up as well I could get that, never really played that one.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
If I tried VI and didn't like it should I still look into World of Xeen? For reference, I found VI too boring and all I remember is backpeddling while I lobbed arrows at monsters until they were all dead.

I loved Wiz 6 and 7, although I never actually finished 7, stopping twice at about Hall of the Past.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Big Sean posted:

If I tried VI and didn't like it should I still look into World of Xeen? For reference, I found VI too boring and all I remember is backpeddling while I lobbed arrows at monsters until they were all dead.

I loved Wiz 6 and 7, although I never actually finished 7, stopping twice at about Hall of the Past.

World of Xeen and M&M VI don't really have much in common when it comes to actual gameplay. There are a lot of similarities in skills, classes, items, monsters and so on, but World of Xeen is a grid based, turn based first person RPG with a six person party, a huge overworld and a bunch of dungeons that tend to be full of traps and puzzles.

In other words, it's a hell of a lot like Wizardry VII.

That said, you still see monsters roaming the overworld rather than having purely random encounters (for those you'll have to go to the first two games of the series), and arrows are still pretty effective. It's not the huge clusterfuck of 70 skeletons in a hallway that M&M VI can become, though, and just due to the actual engine being completely different it doesn't feel similar at all.

I'd say you should give it a shot. Might and Magic is essentially two different series, 1-5 and 6-8, and liking or disliking one doesn't seem to have much impact on liking or disliking the other.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Everyone forgets about poor piece of poo poo M&M 9.

EDIT: I just realized Activision owns the rights to Wizards & Warriors. Dear GOG, release it.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

al-azad posted:

Everyone forgets about poor piece of poo poo M&M 9.

I didn't forget, I just left it out on purpose. :)

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
Is the low level combat in Temple of Elemental Evil as bad as the combat in Baldurs Gate? gently caress having 4 hp.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Spuzzz posted:

Is the low level combat in Temple of Elemental Evil as bad as the combat in Baldurs Gate? gently caress having 4 hp.

No, not really. 3rd Edition is a bit more lenient with that. Plus, you have a fully customizable party, and you don't run into ogres and poo poo on the second screen.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

No, not really. 3rd Edition is a bit more lenient with that. Plus, you have a fully customizable party, and you don't run into ogres and poo poo on the second screen.

Roll bad and early random encounters can completely wreck you, though. It's definitely pretty brutal to start out, but you're unlikely to be caught as off-guard as in a realtime game like NWN, either.

And just reminding anyone who's considering getting ToEE: Install the Circle of Eight mod. (NC edition, preferably, which has a whole new city/quest-hub) It fixes the game. Seriously. Absolutely essential, don't even TRY to play without it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Speaking of ToEE, I've been playing Baldur's Gate II and loving the D&D style of it but I'm kind of curious as to how the ruleset has changed from 2nd to 3/3.5 (which all the other IE games like ToEE are based on). Where's a good resource for looking at how the D&D ruleset has changed? If newer ones have enough cool stuff in them I'd definitely pick up a game based on those rules.

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money
I recommend getting the ToEE patch that doesn't have all the new content, since a lot of the new content is dumb.

ToEE has really good combat but it's also ball-crushingly hard for most people. Avoid if you don't like a challenge.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Buff Butler posted:

I recommend getting the ToEE patch that doesn't have all the new content, since a lot of the new content is dumb.

ToEE has really good combat but it's also ball-crushingly hard for most people. Avoid if you don't like a challenge.

It was a tossup between that and Neverwinter Nights 1. I've heard the Neverwinter expansions are really good. Are there any other good mods for it? I was thinking of making a cleric since it is a more solo game.

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Spuzzz posted:

It was a tossup between that and Neverwinter Nights 1. I've heard the Neverwinter expansions are really good. Are there any other good mods for it? I was thinking of making a cleric since it is a more solo game.

I'm not aware of any other mods for ToEE. Some guys have been trying to make a new game in the same engine (based on another classic D&D module) but I think that effort sputtered and died some time ago.

It's a tremendously good game, just rather difficult for people who aren't familiar with 3.5e combat and don't know how to game the system.

electrigger
Dec 18, 2005

so gay and you don't even like boys
Haha just got Rayman. What a great nostalgia trip this one is, but man it's just as assholish of a game as I remember. Tons of enemies too short to conveniently punch, pixel perfect platform hops, platforms that phase in and out that you have to time by jumping while they are phased out, rapid accelerations into spikes that you have no way to react to unless you've already died there before, slowly scrolling edge of screen death levels, oh and limited continues on top of your extra life system.

Yeah this game is fun as hell but it seriously pulls out all the old school rear end in a top hat platform game stops.

Oh yeah and another thing, drat game has an invincibility blink after getting hit that lasts about 0.5 picoseconds. You can get chain hit into death easy as heck in this loving game.

electrigger fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 31, 2011

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Oh what the hell, the GOG version is missing the opening cutscene. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AREE4fkk42M

I expect the ending cutscene to be gone too by association, but it was much more minimalist. Just a shot of the landscape with some fireworks going off and "You did it! You SAAAAVED THE WOOOORLD!!"

E: The level music seems to be different too. Weird.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 31, 2011

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Oh what the hell, the GOG version is missing the opening cutscene. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AREE4fkk42M

I expect the ending cutscene to be gone too by association, but it was much more minimalist. Just a shot of the landscape with some fireworks going off and "You did it! You SAAAAVED THE WOOOORLD!!"

E: The level music seems to be different too. Weird.

Unfortunately that's because they're selling Rayman Forever, not Rayman. The Forever version has a bunch of fan levels and a level editor, but a big chunk of the soundtrack was removed, as was the intro video, to make space on the disc.

Right now they're just saying that they're going to try to find a solution, but they can't promise anything. And really, they're selling Rayman Forever as Ubisoft released it so it's hard to blame GoG for this.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
they had a similar situation with Broken Sword 1 a few months back that got resolved, GOG's pretty good at that kind of thing

al-azad
May 28, 2009

electrigger posted:

Haha just got Rayman. What a great nostalgia trip this one is, but man it's just as assholish of a game as I remember. Tons of enemies too short to conveniently punch, pixel perfect platform hops, platforms that phase in and out that you have to time by jumping while they are phased out, rapid accelerations into spikes that you have no way to react to unless you've already died there before, slowly scrolling edge of screen death levels, oh and limited continues on top of your extra life system.

Yeah this game is fun as hell but it seriously pulls out all the old school rear end in a top hat platform game stops.

Oh yeah and another thing, drat game has an invincibility blink after getting hit that lasts about 0.5 picoseconds. You can get chain hit into death easy as heck in this loving game.

The worst are the little pellet guys who are too short to punch, the enemies that magically appear out of thin air, and the annoying bugs who can fly/duck 90% of your attacks. I have no idea how I got 100% on this game in 1995.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

sethsez posted:

Right now they're just saying that they're going to try to find a solution, but they can't promise anything. And really, they're selling Rayman Forever as Ubisoft released it so it's hard to blame GoG for this.

Near as I can figure, the core game doesn't have any ties into the additional Forever content so if they just got their hands on a copy of the original game and did whatever reverse-engineering they did to this one they should be able to restore the soundtrack and FMV.

Go figure that for all the fuss to include the level editor, I can't figure out how to use it. :v:

E: And the fanmade levels are amazingly rubbish too. Did they not even let you slap an exit gate into the custom levels?

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 31, 2011

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
XIII is now on GOG for $5.99. Hell yesss. *throws money*

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ok, someone tell me about XIII and if I should be excited about it. It looks interesting.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
It has a fantastic art style, but once you get past that it's a fairly mediocre FPS. I'd say it's worth the $6.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Saoshyant posted:

Ok, someone tell me about XIII and if I should be excited about it. It looks interesting.

I really enjoyed XIII, but it's definitely not super polished. The gameplay is fun, if basic FPS stuff. The biggest appeal is that you can improvise weapons, and pick up a brick and thwack somebody over the skull for an instakill.

I personally fell in love with it when I picked up a shard of glass and chucked it into somebody's eye, killing them instantly.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Wasn't too keen on XIII when it first came out. Nice style and concept, but they could have done more with it than a straight FPS.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
XIII is pretty well done for a FPS. It's a bit more focused on stealth I think, tho this could just be the way I played. It did this well in that you got like a crossbow and knives too iirc that allowed you to take people out silently.
It was a lot of me sneaking around areas eliminating people and moving on. You could run and gun too I suppose? Maybe the stealth bits were just sections or maybe I found that the most effective way of playing it, because pretty much once you got noticed you were boned.

I really enjoyed it for what it was, and was one of those games I actually was interested in enough to keep playing. The ending made me a total sad panda because it's a huge rear end "To Be Continued..." ending that unfortunately never saw a sequel. The story was well done and is based on a french comic iirc.

I enjoyed this enough back in the day to actually buy it retail. I'll probably pick it up again when it's on sale.

Edit: Yeppers, looking at some screenshots on Gog.com now and yeah, there was a lot of action in this game too, I'm starting to remember stuff, like that goddamn helicopter fight on the docks/warehouse. That was a bitch, but definitely doable, and I'm not exactly a great gamer. I think the stealth bits stick out in my mind the most because I felt they were done well comparatively speaking.

Bottom line: Recommended.

Bats fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 31, 2011

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
XIII was actually one of my favourite games for a while.

It's a lot easier to try and stealth through a lot of the sections, picking off sentries with a brick to the cranium (for most of the missions, you get a silenced weapon right off the bat though - none of that "avoid the guards" poo poo if you don't want too), or a harpoon to the face (there are harpoons). If you don't want to stealth it, most of the missions can be completed by pulling out an M60 and running around gunning everything down pretty easily.

It really feels like a weird James Bond game, to be honest. There's just a lot of classic "spy" activities, including the obligatory underwater knife-fights with Scuba Divers and using grunts as a meatshield so you can pick off their friends.

There's a couple of downsides - chiefly the aforementioned "To Be Continued --- NOT" ending, and a couple of annoying bosses (gently caress THE LAST BOSS. gently caress HIM HARD), but overall it's a pretty good game and actually has a really, really interesting plot.

And your boss is Adam West

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 31, 2011

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Slantedfloors posted:

there are harpoons

Well, guess that's that. Let me finish some more of my backlog and I'm getting this.

Improvising weapons is not something I see often (or ever, for that matter). And the art style is obviously neat.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 31, 2011

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Saoshyant posted:

Improvising weapons is not something I see often (or ever, for that matter).

The improvisation system is actually pretty cool. For me, no game since has ever eclipsed the feeling of joy I got from whipping a shard of glass into a submarine crewman's forehead. The little comic-book style popup of the weapon sinking into the target never gets old.

Edit: Also, you get to fan-fire a cowboy revolver. In pretty much every mission. It's like a automatic shotgun sniper rifle.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 31, 2011

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

Slantedfloors posted:

The improvisation system is actually pretty cool. For me, no game since has ever eclipsed the feeling of joy I got from whipping a shard of glass into a submarine crewman's forehead. The little comic-book style popup of the weapon sinking into the target never gets old.

Edit: Also, you get to fan-fire a cowboy revolver. In pretty much every mission. It's like a automatic shotgun sniper rifle.

Yeah I think that's why I liked using the harpoon so much in this game, you got that nice lil window popup showing it sink into someone's face/neck etc. I always went for headshots with that drat thing, it was so good. drat, now I want to play it again. I wonder if I could find my disc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Bats posted:

Yeah I think that's why I liked using the harpoon so much in this game, you got that nice lil window popup showing it sink into someone's face/neck etc. I always went for headshots with that drat thing, it was so good. drat, now I want to play it again. I wonder if I could find my disc...

Oh just shell out the $6

GoG wins again over goon laziness!