Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

fawker posted:

RE: Neck bridges.
I want to start doing them because my neck muscles have been sore coming out of classes. So I youtubed "neck bridges" and came across this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0vg5T4vkew

If I attempt that, Im pretty sure I'd accidently paralyze myself. How can I tone what that guy was doing so I can strengthen my neck muscles without snapping my neck?

You won't hurt your neck, but if you want an easier exercise lay flat on your back and keep your shoulders to the ground and move your head up like you're doing crunches with your neck, do a bunch like at least 30 then do them to the side then the other side. that will help build some muscle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

fawker posted:

I want to start doing them because my neck muscles have been sore coming out of classes. So I youtubed "neck bridges" and came across this.

If I attempt that, Im pretty sure I'd accidently paralyze myself. How can I tone what that guy was doing so I can strengthen my neck muscles without snapping my neck?

wow that guy has a huge neck also

I do basically just the first part and much slower, it has actually helped a lot. I haven't had a sore neck until recently but was because I was dumb and thought I could fight out of a sub I was caught in.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
You can work up to doing that. First do it and support yourself with your hands so that your neck doesn't take all the weight. For example if you are doing the neckbridge facing the ground put your hands next to your head like you are preparing for a hand stand. If you are doing it facing up put your hands next to your head like you are doing a regular bridge. Its a pretty safe exercise if you don't overdo it.

I do the same workout except for the bridges off center line, since doing those still hurts, and I have never hurt myself from that exercise.

MuonManLaserJab
Nov 6, 2010

- JIU-JITSU (18 Submissions)
- QUANTUM PHYSICS
Ditto on putting all of the weight on your hands and taking it off gradually. I'm just now trying to do the walkaround from front to back and so on, I can't really do it yet but you'll find with a bit of practice it's easy to let yourself down onto your hands and shoulders when your neck feels weak.

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...

fawker posted:

Doesn't take much time to build up to that. That's a pretty good routine and was pretty much the same as my warm up before wrestling practice.

You can try neck bridging and going ear to ear and holding it for a few seconds at a time, treat like you would doing a plank really. Then go to the back of your head so you are supporting the majority of your weight on your neck and then go to your nose, walk your feet around to get onto your forehead. All of that stuff will head, you just need to work on it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Did I kill the tendon in my biceps or something? About a month ago I got caught in a nasty armbar and I couldn't tap quickly enough before it felt seriously stretched out. I've been avoiding doing workouts that strain my biceps because there's still a ton of residual soreness any time I flex it.

I started rolling again last week and everything felt great, then yesterday someone slapped on an americana and the second he started torquing it I started to feel a sharp pain.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Anybody here have experience coming back from a knee injury? Back into December I tore my right knee up pretty bad off a failed takedown, and then had to delay the surgery till March because of my school schedule. I'm lighter a chunk of my lateral meniscus now and I'll probably deal with some MCL instability, from tearing it in half, the rest of my life. On the bright side what they originally thought was a total ACL tear turned out to be a partial tear and I didn't need a replacement. I'm up to about 80% of strength, relative to the other leg, and overall lower body strength is obviously lower than it was before the accident since I haven't deadlifted or squated in 4 months now. I'm hoping to start going for at least technique and drilling in a couple weeks when I get my strength up better, get a decent hinge brace, and can actually sit on my knees.

What'd you do for bracing? How'd you work back in? Any thing you fund you had to avoid?

1st AD posted:

Did I kill the tendon in my biceps or something? About a month ago I got caught in a nasty armbar and I couldn't tap quickly enough before it felt seriously stretched out. I've been avoiding doing workouts that strain my biceps because there's still a ton of residual soreness any time I flex it.

I started rolling again last week and everything felt great, then yesterday someone slapped on an americana and the second he started torquing it I started to feel a sharp pain.

Could've re injured. Work it gently with very light weights, RICE it, and tap faster I guess. Whether it's a full blown tear or not is a question you'd need to be examined to answer.

awkward_turtle fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 30, 2011

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Be careful with the hinge brace I train with one guy who wears the hard hinge brace and it hurts alot.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

1st AD posted:

You got caught - those moves are supposed to hurt, that's how they work. You will get that sharp pain for a few months, until it's completely healed up. Part of the problem with those sorts of injuries is that in protecting the initial injury you get lots of atrophy in the muscles around it also.

For me, I always warm the arm up with some good stretching. Then after the first week or so, i start stretching and compressing the muscle in every way possible - past the point of pain but not to reinjury. It hurts like a bitch, but it forces out any scar tissue, and forces reconnected tensed tendons to stretch, then heavy RICE after the fact.

The most important part of any injury like that is getting ice on it, LOTS of compression, ibuprofen, elevation immediately. You need to do everything you can to prevent the initial swelling/damage past what the initial injury was. I will occasionally sleep with an ice pack on, and my whatever all nice and wrapped up tight. If you can get past like that first 2 days, your recovery will be much quicker.

If you're like me, you take not nearly enough time off, tape it up to gently caress and get back on the mat. After a few of those you get a nice pain in your elbow that never really goes away 100%.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

awkward_turtle posted:

Anybody here have experience coming back from a knee injury? Back into December I tore my right knee up pretty bad off a failed takedown, and then had to delay the surgery till March because of my school schedule. I'm lighter a chunk of my lateral meniscus now and I'll probably deal with some MCL instability, from tearing it in half, the rest of my life. On the bright side what they originally thought was a total ACL tear turned out to be a partial tear and I didn't need a replacement. I'm up to about 80% of strength, relative to the other leg, and overall lower body strength is obviously lower than it was before the accident since I haven't deadlifted or squated in 4 months now. I'm hoping to start going for at least technique and drilling in a couple weeks when I get my strength up better, get a decent hinge brace, and can actually sit on my knees.

What'd you do for bracing? How'd you work back in? Any thing you fund you had to avoid?

I came back from a full (as in both ends flapping in the wind) ACL tear. I had the patellar graph, which is supposedly the strongest, but it ripped the front of my knee up pretty bad. 16 months after surgery, that's still the part that is most problematic by a long shot. Still can't kneel on a hard surface without a lot of pain.

I rehabbed it hard on an high level athlete's regimen in physical therapy and had a pretty high range of motion and strength after about only a month. I don't know the specifics about how your injury works, but I'm surprised they havent had you doing any squats or weight lifting or anything. I was doing leg presses, squats, balance ball, calf raises, weighted leg lifts, and all sorts of weighted/resistance training with as much weight as I could physically do for 3x10 sets for each exercise. Usually by the third set I'd be unable to do the exercise around 7-8.

I stayed off the mat for about 2.5-3 months, then got back to rolling really lightly. I just rolled a little harder/used it more as I felt more confident on it. I just went easy on it, and only trained with friends I trusted not to hurt me. Lots of ice, stretching, massage. I won a grappling competition on it at about 6 months in - but it was no where near healed, maybe 65%. The good news is I learned to wrestle off my right foot, as well as work my moves the other direction. Not being able to explode through moves actually really helped my technique.

It's pretty strong now, and the only lasting injury is the loving crater they carved into the front of my knee. The actual reattachment site is fine.

That being said, I have pretty unreal pain tolerance, a good work ethic, and am completely stupid about letting my injuries heal 100% before I go back on the mat. As far as I've been told I'm pretty much as atypical as you get from that scenario. I was jogging no brace after 6 weeks, most people are barely walking at that point. So, yeah, ymmv. Just be smart, lift weights/balance ball, go lightly, ice/elevate it every night. You'll be ok.

:wtf: moment. My first day back in the gym, I was rolling with a buddy of mine. He's a good guy, albeit far less than the smartest guy I've known. Anyways, my knee is all taped up to gently caress, i tell him this is day #1 back, and I just want to see how it feels. He starts off on top, and within about 30 seconds DIVES FOR A KNEEBAR ON MY BAD KNEE. I almost had a heart attack. So yeah, words of warning, don't roll with THAT guy, even if he is your friend.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
a difficult question maybe but does anyone know when ADCC usually release the dates for their tournaments? it's really close to met his year so i desperately want to go but i'm away for half of september and i'm really hoping it will be in the latter half of the month.

edit:
okay actually i just saw that they posted the dates on the first announcement, haha, it's on the 24-25 september. now, does anyone know roughly when they release tickets?

Opal fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 30, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fawker posted:

Those are pretty standard bridging excersizes for any wrestling team. Work up to it by bridging side to side while still using your shoulders to support some of the weight. If you have access to a decent weight room there is probably a machine for working neck muscles, so that would be a good way to get your neck strength up to the point where you can legitimatly do neck bridging.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

Are there any good dvds on all of roger gracies fights? Been watching him a lot on youtube and love his style but wondering if there is a decent dvd with high quality of most of his fights.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

shizen posted:

Are there any good dvds on all of roger gracies fights? Been watching him a lot on youtube and love his style but wondering if there is a decent dvd with high quality of most of his fights.

There's no dvds that only have his matches, but you can track down dvds of other events he's entered(worlds/ADCC/Pan Am etc) and they'll have some of his matches(and of course a ton of other guys too). The guy who runs the Roger Gracie facebook group puts up links to tons of his matches too.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

dokomoy posted:

There's no dvds that only have his matches, but you can track down dvds of other events he's entered(worlds/ADCC/Pan Am etc) and they'll have some of his matches(and of course a ton of other guys too). The guy who runs the Roger Gracie facebook group puts up links to tons of his matches too.

which adcc is a good one to get? Also they have commentary also right?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
http://mmajunkie.com/news/23051/aprils-ufc-fan-expo-features-training-sessions-with-liddell-penn-pettis.mma

Im a lovely white belt thats only going to have trained for 2 months when this happens. Would it be worth my while to pay $150 to get subbed by BJ Penn?

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

shizen posted:

which adcc is a good one to get? Also they have commentary also right?

I'm pretty sure the only ones that have commentary on dvds are the 09 ones(and only for the finals). The only year I've watched all the way through is 2009, and that was pretty cool, you could also get 2005 and watch Roger finish everyone and 03 has Eddie Bravo if you're one of the dudes who cares about that.

MuonManLaserJab
Nov 6, 2010

- QUANTUM PHYSICS

fawker posted:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/23051/aprils-ufc-fan-expo-features-training-sessions-with-liddell-penn-pettis.mma

Im a lovely white belt thats only going to have trained for 2 months when this happens. Would it be worth my while to pay $150 to get subbed by BJ Penn?

I think that's a question only you, your fanhood, and your wallet can answer. You certainly won't learn anything much you couldn't have learned in a regular, not-one-hundred-and-fifty-dollars two-hour training session.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
you should go, and bring a lot of coke with you, and party with Chuck Liddell.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
So guess who just showed up in my "suggested friends" thing on Facebook: Федор Емелианенко , aka Fedor. Now I'm sad because Facebook apparently thinks I'm much cooler and more connected than I actually am.

MuonManLaserJab
Nov 6, 2010

- QUANTUM PHYSICS

Thoguh posted:

So guess who just showed up in my "suggested friends" thing on Facebook: Федор Емелианенко , aka Fedor. Now I'm sad because Facebook apparently thinks I'm much cooler and more connected than I actually am.

That's actually how they find his opponents, don't click on it unless you're willing to co-promote

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fawker posted:

Do it and try really hard not to look like/actlike/be a huge Aflictioneer poser so maybe you'll get a cool story to tell us.

MuonManLaserJab
Nov 6, 2010

- QUANTUM PHYSICS
I was just watching old Bellator/WEC with a casual fan friend and we got to talking about brain damage from chokes; for example, we watched when Faber RNCd Mizugaki and it took the ref several seconds longer than it should have to call the fight. My friend's opinion was that long enough for unconsciousness is long enough for brain damage, while I was initially waving it off as insignificant before realizing I should probably get a more informed opinion before I have this conversation again.

Googling this debate is a good way to find a lot of amusing idiots (my favorite being a "doctor" who said he could not "diagnose the cause" of why the person went unconscious, second place being a helpful comment that a choke would kill you, but was easy to turn into a harmless sleeper hold, also a number of results with "BDSM" in the URL), but it's harder to sift through the poo poo. I've seen various references to studies done on judoka but I was wondering if anyone has a good sense of the state of the research?

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

MuonManLaserJab posted:

I was just watching old Bellator/WEC with a casual fan friend and we got to talking about brain damage from chokes; for example, we watched when Faber RNCd Mizugaki and it took the ref several seconds longer than it should have to call the fight. My friend's opinion was that long enough for unconsciousness is long enough for brain damage, while I was initially waving it off as insignificant before realizing I should probably get a more informed opinion before I have this conversation again.

Googling this debate is a good way to find a lot of amusing idiots (my favorite being a "doctor" who said he could not "diagnose the cause" of why the person went unconscious, second place being a helpful comment that a choke would kill you, but was easy to turn into a harmless sleeper hold, also a number of results with "BDSM" in the URL), but it's harder to sift through the poo poo. I've seen various references to studies done on judoka but I was wondering if anyone has a good sense of the state of the research?

I don't have any sources right now, but It's my understanding that when talking about blood chokes (which are the vast majority in MMA and most grappling disciplines), losing consciousness is safe. Holding the choke for about 30 seconds after loss of consciousness can start to cause brain damage, and holding it for about three minutes could cause death. Competitors will get in major poo poo for holding it a few seconds past the ref calling it, so even in cases of someone being a malicious dick the times don't even come close to the "causing damage" stage.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

generatrix posted:

I don't have any sources right now, but It's my understanding that when talking about blood chokes (which are the vast majority in MMA and most grappling disciplines), losing consciousness is safe. Holding the choke for about 30 seconds after loss of consciousness can start to cause brain damage, and holding it for about three minutes could cause death. Competitors will get in major poo poo for holding it a few seconds past the ref calling it, so even in cases of someone being a malicious dick the times don't even come close to the "causing damage" stage.

This is pretty much the current state of research. There have been quite a few studies on judoka, but a lot of them are japanese so they're difficult to find in english.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
http://judoinfo.com/chokes2.htm

This is a pretty good article by a doctor.

http://judoinfo.com/chokes1.htm

The article came from this link, there are others there on various choke topics. As long as the choke is released reasonably quickly, no damage occurs.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I've been choked out a bunch of times and haven't noticed any problems yet.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I don't seem to have any issues and I've been choked unconscious a couple of times.

MuonManLaserJab
Nov 6, 2010

- QUANTUM PHYSICS

henkman posted:

I don't seem to have any issues and I've been choked unconscious a couple of times.

I'm looking for the Cro Cop interview where he's sitting on a fence and he says the the the good th-thing is is I I have n-not seen any any n-n-n-negative n-neurological eff-effects f-from th-this-s-s-sport

MuonManLaserJab
Nov 6, 2010

- QUANTUM PHYSICS

generatrix posted:

Holding the choke for about 30 seconds after loss of consciousness can start to cause brain damage

Thanks for the sources guys. This, though, is what I really want some data with which to back up. Do you have a source for the "30 seconds" number, generatrix or Fatherdog?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

MuonManLaserJab posted:

Thanks for the sources guys. This, though, is what I really want some data with which to back up. Do you have a source for the "30 seconds" number, generatrix or Fatherdog?

Xguard86 posted:

http://judoinfo.com/chokes2.htm

This is a pretty good article by a doctor.

http://judoinfo.com/chokes1.htm

The article came from this link, there are others there on various choke topics. As long as the choke is released reasonably quickly, no damage occurs.

Don't read threads don't watch fights.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

MuonManLaserJab posted:

I don't have any sources, since it was a few years ago that I looked it up. The articles posted by Xguard86 are by doctors who say it's safe.

MuonManLaserJab
Nov 6, 2010

- QUANTUM PHYSICS

Xguard86 posted:

Don't read threads don't watch fights.

I suppose you did read those and find the "30 seconds" statistic? Did these hallucinations by any chance start after or during a BJJ class in which you were choked unconscious? I know the consensus is that chokes are safe, I just haven't seen any data about how long past unconsciousness it takes for a choke to begin causing significant damage.

MuonManLaserJab
Nov 6, 2010

- QUANTUM PHYSICS
I work in an MRI lab so if any Boston goons want to show up around 3am when the scanners are empty and get choked 5, 10, 15 seconds and so on past unconsciousness we can do some fMRI and get some science done, for the people who are still alive

MuonManLaserJab fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 1, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

MuonManLaserJab posted:

I suppose you did read those and find the "30 seconds" statistic? Did these hallucinations by any chance start after or during a BJJ class in which you were choked unconscious? I know the consensus is that chokes are safe, I just haven't seen any data about how long past unconsciousness it takes for a choke to begin causing significant damage.

It takes 10 seconds on average to render unconsciousness and 10 to 20 seconds after releasing the choke to regain consciousness. So no, it's not outright stated that 30 seconds is the limit but if it takes 10 to go out and then come to 10-20 later, 30 seconds is a decent bracket for safety.

No one has ever done a study on how long it takes to get brain damage, then die from chokes. For obvious reasons.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

MuonManLaserJab posted:

I work in an MRI lab so if any Boston goons want to show up around 3am when the scanners are empty and get choked 5, 10, 15 seconds and so on past unconsciousness we can do some fMRI and get some science done, for the people who are still alive

You might find this video interesting (if you can stand the host's voice for more than a few seconds).

MuonManLaserJab
Nov 6, 2010

- QUANTUM PHYSICS

Xguard86 posted:

It takes 10 seconds on average to render unconsciousness and 10 to 20 seconds after releasing the choke to regain consciousness. So no, it's not outright stated that 30 seconds is the limit but if it takes 10 to go out and then come to 10-20 later, 30 seconds is a decent bracket for safety.

No one has ever done a study on how long it takes to get brain damage, then die from chokes. For obvious reasons.

Is it? How do you reason that, apart from 30 seconds not sounding that long to you? How do the "10s to sleep" and "20s to wake-up" numbers convert to 30 seconds...are you just adding them? Maybe you are a mathematical neurobiologist and you looked up models of blood flow and neuron death and did a bunch of 3D modeling with time-delayed differential equations to see that it takes about 30 seconds to get blood-oxygen levels from the level that will render one unconscious to the level that will start killing significant levels of brain cells...but it sort of sounds like you are making a wild guess based on tangentially related numbers.

I know no-one's actually done the purposeful-strangle test, I was kidding (although you could do it in mice...).

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The earliest that brain cells have been recorded as dying from cerebral hypoxia is five minutes, so while I haven't seen any hard and fast research that thirty seconds in a choke is safe, I feel fairly confident in making the assumption, particularly with the mountains of anecdotal evidence.

MuonManLaserJab
Nov 6, 2010

- QUANTUM PHYSICS

fatherdog posted:

The earliest that brain cells have been recorded as dying from cerebral hypoxia is five minutes, so while I haven't seen any hard and fast research that thirty seconds in a choke is safe, I feel fairly confident in making the assumption, particularly with the mountains of anecdotal evidence.

Now that would be something I could slap in my friend's face. So hypoxia is reduced flow as opposed to completely blocked flow, and that Sport Science clip measures blood flow reduction at 13%...I just need to know where the blood-flow reduction that is safe for under five minutes was to the tune of 13% or more.

No argument that it's safe, my friend and I were more arguing whether brain damage would be present, if negligible, from the get-go, or non-existent until some critical time. Getting older definitely causes brain damage, yet is reputed to be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Not to interrupt :science:-chat but here's a cool submission from the Pan-Ams:

http://www.bjjfights.com/bruno-malfacine-vs-wellington-megaton-dias-2011-pan-ams/