Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...

Faffel posted:

I really can't overstate how good Ball of Molten Lead is. This song blows me away each and every time. It's great.

Yes, this track is loving amazing. I tell ya though, if you haven't listened to it already, get YOB's The Great Cessation and listen to the 5th and final track (also called "The Great Cessation") on the album. It's like all of YOB's previous efforts culminating in one monster 20+ minute track of unrelenting badassery. I shudder to think what it would sound like live. My pants would probably stand-up on their own afterwards...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Diseased Yak posted:

Yes, this track is loving amazing. I tell ya though, if you haven't listened to it already, get YOB's The Great Cessation and listen to the 5th and final track (also called "The Great Cessation") on the album. It's like all of YOB's previous efforts culminating in one monster 20+ minute track of unrelenting badassery. I shudder to think what it would sound like live. My pants would probably stand-up on their own afterwards...

Oh hell yeah, blaring this through my lovely Microcube amp right now, it's amazing.

Also Neurosis are playing in Dublin in July :smug:

That'll be Earth, Neurosis and Dillinger Escape Plan (the antithesis of this thread) in one year, which for Ireland is pretty great.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Oh hell yeah, blaring this through my lovely Microcube amp right now, it's amazing.

Sorry to bring up gearchat again but speaking of the Microcube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37xKzcjGXHw&t=96s

That fuzz pedal is so gnarly it's unmistakable even through a tiny-rear end practice amp.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

cheap sunglasses posted:

That fuzz pedal is so gnarly it's unmistakable even through a tiny-rear end practice amp.

I wish I had enough money to trade my stupid (bad investment!!!!) bass guitar in for a real man's electric guitar. That is loving awesome.

Also, doom metal is loving awesome. I've listened to so much YOB and Bongripper that my head is crushed into a stoned pulp and I haven't even heard them high.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Faffel posted:

I wish I had enough money to trade my stupid (bad investment!!!!) bass guitar in for a real man's electric guitar.

Why don't you learn how to play it first.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Diseased Yak posted:

The Great Cessation has seriously been a mainstay in my library for a while now. I'd also recommend The Unreal Never Lived. The last track is obscenely heavy.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Dyna Soar posted:

Why don't you learn how to play it first.
Yup, one man's meat is another man's poison. Just trade it in for a cheap electric guitar to get you going and you'll barely have to spend anything more. You have the added benefit of really feeling the difference once you go to a better guitar with your experiencec in a year's time or whatever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

cheap sunglasses posted:

Oh my balls, I have found my next gear investment.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Faffel posted:

I wish I had enough money to trade my stupid (bad investment!!!!) bass guitar in for a real man's electric guitar. That is loving awesome.

Also, doom metal is loving awesome. I've listened to so much YOB and Bongripper that my head is crushed into a stoned pulp and I haven't even heard them high.

The bass has its place. I would encourage you to keep it and and keep at it at least for a bit. If you seriously start playing guitar or music in general you will be glad that you spent time with the bass. I play guitar and have had basses available but I've been itching to purchase a decent one for a long time and really spend some playing one. What I'm saying is that I'm envious of your position.

Also thanks for pointing out Bongripper everyone! How long until I become a jaded fan of the genre and think that nothing exciting is happening? Because it's awesome as gently caress right now.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Faffel posted:

Bass guitar is loving wonderful man, stick with it. All the stoner stuff I've listened to from Clutch to Kyuss to Sleep has made me want to learn to play bass more than anything else.

I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6uwcvHkYvg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyjmd00s-_Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAXGu81Rk1g&feature=related

and some classic Sabbath as well just because http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwWMKC3U01w

I'm still seriously considering buying an acoustic bass just to learn to play these songs.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Diseased Yak posted:

I tell ya though, if you haven't listened to it already, get YOB's The Great Cessation and listen to the 5th and final track (also called "The Great Cessation") on the album. It's like all of YOB's previous efforts culminating in one monster 20+ minute track of unrelenting badassery. I shudder to think what it would sound like live. My pants would probably stand-up on their own afterwards...
Thanks dude, you've probably ruined the majority of heavy rock I have heard before or will ever hear in the future. Holy loving poo poo.

I have to be considerate to flatmates right now but this is gonna be played SO loving LOUD tomorrow.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Don't skip out on their other stuff though. I meant what I said before; I can't think of even a mediocre song in their entire discography. Maybe the production on the first album is a bit muddy, but the songs kick rear end none the less.

Man, I fuckin' need to listen to Catharsis now. Thanks guys.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Also, I would say some parts of Middian's Age Eternal (especially the last song or two) are right about on that level. They're a lot different from what YOB goes for, but still pretty great.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Okay okay okay... you guys have talked me into pulling the bass guitar and amp out of the garage. I'll keep it up and maybe try to find a really cheap effects pedal to play around with to give it some doomin' crunch.

As for that fellow a few posts up - doom/stoner stuff won't really make you jaded because it seems to be the most entertaining genre in metal. I've gone through thrash, death, melodic death, avante-garde, and post metal but none of those genres have kept me interested and excited as long as doom/stoner stuff has. There's some great creativity and raw soul in the genre.

I'm really glad this thread got me off Aphex Twin's tit and got me back to the real poo poo. I didn't really like The Great Cessation though. Too slow, too repetitive. Maybe I need to be more blazed.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 29, 2011

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

The bass has its place. I would encourage you to keep it and and keep at it at least for a bit. If you seriously start playing guitar or music in general you will be glad that you spent time with the bass. I play guitar and have had basses available but I've been itching to purchase a decent one for a long time and really spend some playing one. What I'm saying is that I'm envious of your position.

Or better yet take up drums instead. Too many guitarists, not enough drummers.

quote:

Also thanks for pointing out Bongripper everyone! How long until I become a jaded fan of the genre and think that nothing exciting is happening? Because it's awesome as gently caress right now.

It came up somewhere toward the end of the last thread but a number of folks did mention feeling that the genre's going through a stagnant period. There's still an enormous number of great bands to find out about for someone unfamiliar, but you do hit a point where you're just running into variations on a few themes.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

cheap sunglasses posted:

Or better yet take up drums instead. Too many guitarists, not enough drummers.

Amen.

cheap sunglasses posted:

It came up somewhere toward the end of the last thread but a number of folks did mention feeling that the genre's going through a stagnant period. There's still an enormous number of great bands to find out about for someone unfamiliar, but you do hit a point where you're just running into variations on a few themes.

Well I guess we need to start an all-goon band. As I said before, I have drums and I know how to use them.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Here is a band called Wizard Smoke. They have their new LP free for download right there. I haven't even heard it yet, but, you know... free music.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

I just came home with a copy of Earth 2 as well as the three Japanese Heavy Rock Hits 7"s.

Am giving Earth 2 its first spin.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

HMorg posted:

I just came home with a copy of Earth 2 as well as the three Japanese Heavy Rock Hits 7"s.

I think the first JHRH 7" is the best, and on top of that I think the A-side, "8", is the best song from the JHRH records.

treetheheavy
Mar 28, 2005

Truckfighters are planning a US tour

quote:

Wed. July 13- Truckfighters - New York City @tba
Thurs. July 14- Truckfighters – Philadelphia @tba
Fri. July 15- Truckfighers – Baltimore @tba
Sat. July 16th- TBD
Sun. July 17th- Truckfighters – Pittsburgh @tba
Mon. July 18th- TF w/ VotS – Cleveland @tba
Tues. July 19th- TF w/ VotS – Chicago @tba
Wed. July 20th- TF w/ VotS – Indianapolis @tba
Thurs. July 21st- TF w/ VotS – Cincinnati @tba
Fri. July 22nd- TF w/ VotS – Lexington @tba
Sat. July 23rd- TF w/ VotS- Atlanta @tba

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Idioteque Dance posted:

Don't skip out on their other stuff though. I meant what I said before; I can't think of even a mediocre song in their entire discography. Maybe the production on the first album is a bit muddy, but the songs kick rear end none the less.

Man, I fuckin' need to listen to Catharsis now. Thanks guys.

The only mediocre YOB song I can think of is "Asleep in Samsara" off Elaborations of Carbon, but that track is easily balanced by how great "Revolution" is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_11DcGY0hY
I think that tune is the pinnacle of their early sound, which is much more heavily influenced by Sleep, with less of the harsh metallic edge their later stuff has. Not that I dislike that sound- The Great Cessation has some of YOB's best material, though I don't care for "Silence Of Heaven" much.
I found a good interview with Mike the other day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_11DcGY0hY

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HMorg posted:

Earth 2 is unbelievably heavy. Going to see them in a week, guessing they'll only play post-Hex stuff though.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

treetheheavy posted:

Truckfighters are planning a US tour

I've missed every awesome show in Pittsburgh lately because of school constraints, but def going to see this

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...

Idioteque Dance posted:

Here is a band called Wizard Smoke. They have their new LP free for download right there. I haven't even heard it yet, but, you know... free music.

Not my cup of tea. If the vocals weren't there, I'd like it ;)

Thanks for the hookup, though.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Should I go see Eyehategod and Church of Misery? I am thinking yes, I am not actually familiar with either of them (just haven't got round to buying any of their albums yet) but I'm pretty sure that they are Good Bands who play music in a genre I enjoy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kuno posted:

Should I go see Eyehategod and Church of Misery? I am thinking yes, I am not actually familiar with either of them (just haven't got round to buying any of their albums yet) but I'm pretty sure that they are Good Bands who play music in a genre I enjoy.

Church Of Misery are good so yeah.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Kuno posted:

Eyehategod are good so yeah.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Sweet, I just youtubed some songs. Both pretty excellent. Definitely gonna have to buy some albums. What should I start with for each band?

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
Eyehategod - Take As Needed for Pain, Dopesick
Church of Misery - Master of Brutality, The Second Coming

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Also Pick up Houses of the Unholy as well from Church of Misery, it's groovy as hell and a blast to listen to.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Idioteque Dance posted:

Looking for this band on Youtubes allowed me to find this band, Windhand. Holy god they are good!!!! Turns out they've only released a demo tape in 2010 but it's all sold out....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juw1-CXYQ-E

PS - That's a girl singing

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Polegrinder posted:

Looking for this band on Youtubes allowed me to find this band, Windhand. Holy god they are good!!!! Turns out they've only released a demo tape in 2010 but it's all sold out....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juw1-CXYQ-E

PS - That's a girl singing

I just found another band that releases their albums free - http://www.theweed.it/ - The Weed, from Italy. They have links to their albums under Discography. I haven't listened to very much, but I like what I've heard so far.

Actually, there are a bunch at http://www.freemetalalbums.com/tag/stoner-metal (not :filez:, because stuff here is generally uploaded by the bands themselves). Sheavy and Wizard Smoke's albums were featured here, too.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
Oh this is good! Shame there isn't much more!

Eksortna
Mar 17, 2011
No mention of Dot[.]?
http://www.last.fm/music/Dot%5B.%5D
My apologies if I've missed it.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

jadias posted:

Oh this is good! Shame there isn't much more!

I love finding stuff like that by accident. It's a shame they aren't signed yet.

Also from that link that im_sorry posted, Mongolia is pretty amazing, heavy instrumentals, 5 tracks, really loving good. Again it's a demo, and I hope they get signed soon because that would be a shame if they went unnoticed.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Lots of awesome bands. I feel one is missing, though.

Acid King

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6pGAqNSD3k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6NkY7TqxNA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6eNI3r2gEI

I can just stare at the wall for hours listening to them.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 31, 2011

seafood28
Nov 14, 2007
Sled Island here in Calgary is shaping up to be pretty great this year. First, the announced that Sleep is playing, and now The Sword. Plus, they have only announced about 15 of the 100+ bands that will be playing.

I am gonna go see Acid Mothers Temple tonight... how are they live? (I know they aren't really stoner)

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I do love Acid King. Their sludge has just the right consistency for my taste.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I'm totally digging Acid King, but I have to ask for some music advice. At the end of Bongripper - Satan, starting at 9:30, the outro to the song begins and it's seriously one of my all-time favourite pieces of music. I was wondering if there are any doom metal bands that specialize in that sound... Electric Wizard has a similar sound at times, but most of the more hard-rocking bands sound too upbeat or fast.

Also, I tuned my bass guitar down a full-step and started playing around with the blues scale. I'm so loving glad you guys talked me out of getting rid of my bass guitar. Goddamn. I love this thing right now. It sounds so loving heavy when tuned down a step. Do you need a special type of effects box for bass, or do regular electric guitar boxes work well with bass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Reminds me a bit of Bison BC. They are generally a lot faster (Sorry), but they do slow down and get that type of sound in parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_hs-pzPfvU

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 1, 2011