Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

shotgunbadger posted:

Woah now, are you saying you normally don't like Tig and Garfunkle and Oates on podcasts?

Garfunkle and Oats are horrible. Their music is horrible, and their whiny voices and lack of humour is also horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Leggero is not only hilarious but she's also wicked hot. Her and Duncan seem like the oddest couple to me, though thats only based on hearing them interact on the Lavender Hour. Though I didn't take to Duncan at first, he really won me over with the podcast and his Drunk History (Tesla/Edison), but doesn't seem like the kind of guy I'd picture her with.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave
Does anyone that enjoys UYD enjoy any other podcast? Before discovering UYD near the beginning of last year I didn't listen to podcasts and din't care what they were or whatever. Everything I read just sounds terrible compared to UYD. They also managed to pull off a live show that actually worked, I can't see many other podcasts even doing that

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Kim Jong Il posted:

Natasha rules, people don't like her?

G&O are generally good on the ones they're on. Not really into Notaro but she was fine on the last CDR.

I didn't like her on DLM, but she was pretty good on CDR. Opening the episode by calling out Martin Lawrence for being a hack won me over.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Maarak posted:

"No girls allowed on my podcasts!"

Nice jumping to conclusions there. Those three have been the only two I don't really like, because Notaro is very fond of interupting people and knocking things off their groove (like Bob Ducca's list of ailments. Interfering with Bob Ducca is unforgivable. :colbert:), and G&O just rub me the wrong way. They're very mediocre, their songs are all very same-y and never really deliver on what's usually a pretty funny premise.

I agree with the confusion about people not liking Leggero, though, she was loving hilarious on all the ones she's been on.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 31, 2011

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Flying-Chip posted:

Mark Maron is loving unbearable, he kept trying to push Joe into admiting that he's evil and the devil for going on Fear factor. He's one jealous motherfucker and he ruins his own podcast.

Haha why on earth would he do that other then generic faux-indy-comic 'fuckin sellout man!' things?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Flying-Chip posted:

Mark Maron is loving unbearable, he kept trying to push Joe into admiting that he's evil and the devil for going on Fear factor. He's one jealous motherfucker and he ruins his own podcast.

He's definitely got a lot of jealousy/ego type things going on, and he's admitted a lot that he ends up seeing other people's success as some kind of personal attack on him. I really like his show most of the time, but the dude's got loving problems. I think that how hosed up he is is half the reason I listen, though, because it's really interesting to hear him talk through it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Notaro is very fond of interupting people and knocking things off their groove (like Bob Ducca's list of ailments. Interfering with Bob Ducca is unforgivable. :colbert:)

And you inadvertently prove my point, since that was Natasha on the episode with Bob Ducca's list of ailments. :v:

Anyway, to bring the thread back to a happier place, Brody "the anti-Wittels" Stevens' appearance on this week's Who Charted? is naturally awesome. He bombastic self-deprecation is especially hilarious.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

He's definitely got a lot of jealousy/ego type things going on, and he's admitted a lot that he ends up seeing other people's success as some kind of personal attack on him. I really like his show most of the time, but the dude's got loving problems. I think that how hosed up he is is half the reason I listen, though, because it's really interesting to hear him talk through it.

Well at least the dude is self-aware of it instead of being the typical douche going 'what? No it's YOUR problem rear end in a top hat!'

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

t3ch3 posted:

And you inadvertently prove my point, since that was Natasha on the episode with Bob Ducca's list of ailments. :v:

(Episode 51.2, right at the beginning).

If Marc wasn't self-aware about it, yeah, it would be unbearable. He teeters on the edge sometimes as it is. His ability to be an irritating motherfucker is pretty good for his interviewing, though, since he ends up drawing a lot out of people by annoying them into dropping their guard. Or flipping the gently caress out like Gallagher did. That one was incredible.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

SexHaver1978 posted:

Does anyone that enjoys UYD enjoy any other podcast? Before discovering UYD near the beginning of last year I didn't listen to podcasts and din't care what they were or whatever. Everything I read just sounds terrible compared to UYD. They also managed to pull off a live show that actually worked, I can't see many other podcasts even doing that

Y'all should start a UYD thread. Namely to get rid of posts like this. Jesus Christ, we get it, there is literally nothing as good as UYD.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

bananasinpajamas posted:

Y'all should start a UYD thread. Namely to get rid of posts like this. Jesus Christ, we get it, there is literally nothing as good as UYD.

I used to be able to enjoy Howard Stern(terrible) so I think it's a matter of finding the same tates... I didn't know what else is out there or how good it was. Having read what you just posted makes me think there isn't anything similar to what I'm looking for ,sorry haven't read all of the thread.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

(Episode 51.2, right at the beginning).

Eh. You're right. I was getting that and episode 55 mixed up.

Homeless Wonder
Sep 26, 2005
Not a stupid newbie
I loved the cross-podcast callback to Dave Foley's WTF episode at the end of the latest Doug Loves Movies.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

shotgunbadger posted:

Well at least the dude is self-aware of it instead of being the typical douche going 'what? No it's YOUR problem rear end in a top hat!'

That sometimes happens to people who have had lots of therapy. They can describe their problems in detail, and then go right on having them.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

SexHaver1978 posted:

You Look Nice Today is probably the closest.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

You Look Nice Today is probably the closest.

Too bad it's effectively dead.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I am a huge UYD fan, but I love podcasts like Comedy Death Ray and Who Charted anyway. The style and vibe is just so different that, for me, trying to compare them is like trying to compare apples and oranges.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Too bad it's effectively dead.
On life support, but not dead. I've heard straight from Merlin and Adam that it's one of the best things they've ever done. I know Merlin is still working on his book, Adam seems to have a new video out for some Apple Store program every other week, and Scott is photoshopping penises.

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!
Does anyone else listen to The Complete Guide to Everything? It's an excellent comedy podcast, you guys should give it a try!

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I do, and that guy Ron from Starbucks has to stop.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Those drat Ross Kids has been amazing and is easily my favorite podcast. I also love the games that you guys had recently and your other segments.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Nice jumping to conclusions there. Those three have been the only two I don't really like, because Notaro is very fond of interupting people and knocking things off their groove (like Bob Ducca's list of ailments. Interfering with Bob Ducca is unforgivable. :colbert:), and G&O just rub me the wrong way. They're very mediocre, their songs are all very same-y and never really deliver on what's usually a pretty funny premise.

Oh I'm just being an rear end. I love Notaro's bits, but I can easily understand how other people might not. Bob Ducca is rooted in improv, so interrupting Seth Morris is par for the course.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
So am I the only one who is totally of Keven Smith's podcast network stuff?

I've given up on listening to Smod cast because it seems they spend more time talking about their other shows instead of just having a fun chat.

The ten minutes of ad's is just ridiculous.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Maarak posted:

Oh I'm just being an rear end. I love Notaro's bits, but I can easily understand how other people might not. Bob Ducca is rooted in improv, so interrupting Seth Morris is par for the course.

Ohhh, sorry. I think I've spent a bit too much time over in Games. They're a little...sensitive there. I think the interruptions can work fine, but a lot of the humor of the lists is that weird cadence he uses. I've become weirdly fond of Harris Wittels lately, and I have no idea why. He SHOULD be a humor black hole, but I think he's hilarious.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Coco13 posted:

On life support, but not dead. I've heard straight from Merlin and Adam that it's one of the best things they've ever done. I know Merlin is still working on his book, Adam seems to have a new video out for some Apple Store program every other week, and Scott is photoshopping penises.

They have also said that if they do something that doesn't live up to their standards they are fine with just not releasing it. For all we know, there's a vault of 100s of hours of lesser ylnt material.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Old Swerdlow posted:

So am I the only one who is totally of Keven Smith's podcast network stuff?

I've given up on listening to Smod cast because it seems they spend more time talking about their other shows instead of just having a fun chat.

The ten minutes of ad's is just ridiculous.

I'm with you. The guy's either talking about the show he just did, or the show he's about to do, or adding future podcasts that feature more rambling. The guy can be a great storyteller, like the whole Prince thing or the Superman script. But since he doesn't actually *do* anything anymore, it's not that compelling, and anyone who has listened to him for any length of time has already heard all of his old stories repeated ad nauseum. I don't see the TESD guys going anywhere interesting soon, and I don't think I can listen to Mewes' recovery stories anymore. Hollywood Babble-On has been lots of fun without Kevin Smith, which says a lot.

But don't dare criticize the guy or his long, rambling, pointless ads in the Red State thread. Folks get angry.

On better shows... I'm glad to see WTF and Nerdist doing two decent episodes a week. And Sunday's Kevin Pollak Chat Show with Fred Savage was awesome. I knew the guy was doing some TV directing, but I didn't realize how much. Great stories about working on Party Down and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. A few funny nods to The Wonder Years.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

SexHaver1978 posted:

I used to be able to enjoy Howard Stern(terrible) so I think it's a matter of finding the same tates... I didn't know what else is out there or how good it was. Having read what you just posted makes me think there isn't anything similar to what I'm looking for ,sorry haven't read all of the thread.

You might enjoy Mike and Tom Eat Snacks and My Brother, My Brother, and Me since they have a lot of that same kind of back-and-forth routine.

Nausea
Sep 2, 2009

SexHaver1978 posted:

Jesus Christ you're loving creepy.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Bro Dad posted:

You might enjoy Mike and Tom Eat Snacks and My Brother, My Brother, and Me since they have a lot of that same kind of back-and-forth routine.

Thanks!

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Nausea posted:

Jesus Christ you're loving creepy.

Would you care to elaborate?

edit: hahahahah nevermind I Know exactly where this is coming from.

The Balance Niggy fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 31, 2011

Nausea
Sep 2, 2009

SexHaver1978 posted:

Would you care to elaborate?

edit: hahahahah nevermind I Know exactly where this is coming from.

No, not really, i can just foresee you climbing in their windows with a knife - raping them while forcing them to put on a podcast about how much they love you.

El Goatherd
Jun 25, 2005

hate is art

Secret Agent posted:

Collings and Herring is great, it has lo-fi appeal and relies completely on their great rapport to make it work.

Coming in late with this, but I'd say the earlier ones are definitely worth listening to. The more recent ones haven't been that funny, mainly because Herring is constantly reigning himself in to avoid offending Collings' delicate sensibilities.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Thanks to whoever recommended the Stuff You Should Know podcast, I've been listening to a gang of episodes and it's good. Great way of learning about poo poo you've always wondered about but can't be bothered to look up.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
So I called Seth the other day, left a message, and he called me back. That was awesome

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended the Stuff You Should Know podcast, I've been listening to a gang of episodes and it's good. Great way of learning about poo poo you've always wondered about but can't be bothered to look up.

The other ones are great, as well. My favorite is Stuff You Missed In History Class, but I also listen to Stuff Your Mom Never Told You and Stuff To Blow Your Mind. All incredibly interesting.

A Fistful of Dicks
Jan 8, 2011

SexHaver1978 posted:

See, I like pretty much every other podcast *besides* UYD. I don't think I've laughed more than once in the 3-4 episodes I've listened to. Am I missing something beyond the two guys just being awkward Californian dude-dudes with 'goofy' slang?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

ilysespieces posted:

The other ones are great, as well. My favorite is Stuff You Missed In History Class, but I also listen to Stuff Your Mom Never Told You and Stuff To Blow Your Mind. All incredibly interesting.

I'll check these out too, thanks :)

A Fistful of Dicks posted:

See, I like pretty much every other podcast *besides* UYD. I don't think I've laughed more than once in the 3-4 episodes I've listened to. Am I missing something beyond the two guys just being awkward Californian dude-dudes with 'goofy' slang?

Nah don't sweat it, you either like it or you don't. I don't know why all the fans in this thread are so hardcore. I thought UYD of all things would give birth to the chillest fanbase ever, but apparently not.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I'll check these out too, thanks :)

Nah don't sweat it, you either like it or you don't. I don't know why all the fans in this thread are so hardcore. I thought UYD of all things would give birth to the chillest fanbase ever, but apparently not.
Take my word for it: never set foot in their forums. It's my favorite podcast, too, but that is the most aggro bunch of snarling sycophants you'll find this side of the Gathering of the Juggalos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy

I've become weirdly fond of Harris Wittels lately, and I have no idea why. He SHOULD be a humor black hole, but I think he's hilarious.

Sarah Silverman said on her episode of NNF that she has a friend that "writes the world's best jokes and the world's worst jokes and can't tell the difference." I mean, that's got to be Harris, right?

• Locked thread