Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Mickolution posted:

Keith Hackett's verdict

1) What a mess. You need to deal with every element of what happened. Calm the players down, retrieve your whistle, and bring play back to the original foul, which is where you should restart the game. However, you also need to take action against the defender: send him off for violent conduct. It's irrelevant that play was technically not live at the time. And finally, make sure you locate your spare whistle – and don't lose it again.

2) Yes. This was not a deliberate attempt to gain extra height, or to piggy-back – which would have represented unsporting behaviour. It was a legitimate move by both players, resulting in an accidental collision.

3) It may just be water, but the keeper is technically guilty of deliberately throwing an object at the striker, which, in the laws, constitutes attempting to strike an opponent. So in this situation you don't need to consider whether or not the keeper's action denied an obvious goalscoring opportunity, because trying to strike an opponent, even if there is no contact, is a red card offence on its own. So send him off and award a penalty.

Does that mean that the defender gets away with blowing the whistle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
The defender really hasn't doing anything wrong. You have already stopped play in your eyes, and the defender is just trying to help.

A caution for dissent would be a very, very hard sell.

firstyear
Sep 9, 2009
I think he's talking about the defender who commits a foul at the end of the scenario, which makes sense to me - violence is violence whether play's live or not. Hackett doesn't seem to recommend any action against the defender who blows the whistle, which is fair enough since like you say he's trying to help.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
A quiet chat about never touching a referee's equipment - especially blowing the whistle - regardless of the situation would probably be needed, but anything else would be a bit harsh. You'd have to have words, though, or you set a precedent for players being able to blow a dropped whistle because they were "trying to get your attention" (coincidentally at the exact same time the opposition striker was shaping to shoot).

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Ghost Cow Goes Boo posted:

A quiet chat about never touching a referee's equipment

heh

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
*insert joke about going in for the ball with intent*

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

My word, it's getting hot in here.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
It's Friday!

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
1. Seems accidental from the player's point of view, so nothing wrong there. Manager is outside his technical area, so is at fault for it. If the manager persists, send him to the stands and restart play with a drop ball.

2. Corner isn't taken unless the ball goes a full revolution, so it's an (indirect?) freekick to the defending team.

3. I'd say retake. The wind is an "outside agent".

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Isnt number 2 what United did 2 seasons ago?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bhyo posted:

Isnt number 2 what United did 2 seasons ago?

Not sure, but I remember it happening in Serie A a couple of years back. I think it was Roma.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

1. The player can step outside of the line as part of an attacking move so he's done nothing wrong. The manager shouldn't have left his technical area but I don't know what sanctions the ref can apply during the match beyond sending him to the stands and including it in his report. Restart with a dropped ball where the ball was at the moment the player and manager collided?

2. As Mickolution said, the corner hadn't been taken so the second player has touched it twice, indirect free kick where he took the second touch.

3. The weather isn't an outside agent, but the ball was moving when he struck it so it's a retake.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Robben tried it at the World Cup which failed spectacularly. And yeah, Utd did the same thing but the goal was disallowed IIRC.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
1. The manager is being a knob. If the players were stupid enough to stop for something that hadn't been blow for then do a drop ball. Consider telling the manager to gently caress off back to his area.

2. Corner hasn't been taken, IFK.

3. Retake.

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo
lol the arsenal keeper in the third one is like 8 years old get it guys?

e: i do remember rooney doing the little tap in corner a few years back and then obviously with the respect campaign in mind respectfully telling the linesman who flagged it what they were trying to accomplish. could have been in the champions league i can't really remember but it completely fooled the defending team.

Dear Sergio fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 1, 2011

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Mickolution posted:

2. Corner isn't taken unless the ball goes a full revolution, so it's an (indirect?) freekick to the defending team.

Pretty sure the "full revolution" rule has been scrapped, so the corner is legit and the goal should stand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zKqmIRJkg4

Although in the video the ball does go outside the quadrant (and the goal is disallowed anyway) but I think it should actually have stood.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

sebzilla posted:

Pretty sure the "full revolution" rule has been scrapped, so the corner is legit and the goal should stand.

That rings a bell now that you mention it, think someone may have posted it in this or the LOAF thread.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Pretty sure that goal was disallowed incorrectly because the linesman didn't realise that it had been touched/moved by whoever took the corner initially, rather than because it was illegal

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

Pretty sure that goal was disallowed incorrectly because the linesman didn't realise that it had been touched/moved by whoever took the corner initially, rather than because it was illegal

They'd told the ref but not the linesmen so when Giggs started running off with the ball he started waving like a madman, which the ref took to mean there was a foul he hadnt seen and so everyone looked like muppets.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Not sure if it matters but he actually rolls it into the quadrant and back out again without losing contact with the ball. There's no discrete corner kick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYdIV6zzvFI

Ravel fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 1, 2011

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Mickolution posted:

Not sure, but I remember it happening in Serie A a couple of years back. I think it was Roma.

It was Inter, I actually think it was against Milan as well because I remember Gattuso throwing a fit over something very similar. Abate (I think) spotted it and charged it down before it became anything.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Ravel posted:

Not sure if it matters but he actually rolls it into the quadrant and back out again without losing contact with the ball. There's no discrete corner kick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYdIV6zzvFI

epic corner fail

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
1. Send him to the stands for being irresponsible outside the technical area. Dropped ball.
2. They got rid of the ball-going-a-full-revolution stuff a while back. The ball has to be kicked and moved. I guess it depends on whether you interpret the 'tap' as a 'kick'. It's a coin flip since we have to guess whether the dude kicked it or kinda stepped on it a bit with his foot.
3. Ball enters the goal after an offensive infraction (ball must be still during any free kick) = retake.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

1. A player can't play the ball to himself going out of play then back in. The manager should be cautioned for the collision, but it's still a foul play.
2. If the assistant flagged it, almost all referees will honor that even if they know it's a wrong call,unless he the ref is right on top of the play and has a better view.
3.The wind is a field condition, but it depends on how far it pushes the ball. If the ball doesn't roll fully off the spot, like say more than half its diameter, Goal.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Mr. Mambo posted:

A player can't play the ball to himself going out of play then back in.

I don't think that's true, is it?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

1) Send off the manager, give the player a free kick.
2) Seems fine to me, goal. Play the whistle fucktards.
3) I suspect it's a retake.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

Mickolution posted:

No it's not. You can leave the field of play as part of a playing movement.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

Mr. Mambo posted:

1. A player can't play the ball to himself going out of play then back in. The manager should be cautioned for the collision, but it's still a foul play.
2. If the assistant flagged it, almost all referees will honor that even if they know it's a wrong call,unless he the ref is right on top of the play and has a better view.
3.The wind is a field condition, but it depends on how far it pushes the ball. If the ball doesn't roll fully off the spot, like say more than half its diameter, Goal.

:stare:

Yikes, dude.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mickolution posted:

guess we'll find out, but I thought I recalled hearing (years ago) that a guy coming back onto the field cannot be in the direct play.

Now I'm doubting that. Dammit.

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 1, 2011

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I think it was in You Are The Ref recently, wasn't it?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mickolution posted:

I think it was in You Are The Ref recently, wasn't it?

It was in recently and the video of berbatov doing exactly that was linked as well

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jose posted:

It was in recently and the video of berbatov doing exactly that was linked as well

Hunh. Whatever was I thinking? I even saw that match.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

You can't come on as a sub unannounced, or come back on having gone off injured without checking with the ref, or step off the pitch to avoid playing someone onside, but you can step off the pitch in the course of normal play without being penalised.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

1. Accidental collision, player didn't do anything wrong. Whistle, drop ball. Warn the manager. Send him to the stands if he's outside his area again.

2. Ball is in play as soon as it's kicked, does not need to leave the corner arc. Goal.

3. Ball must be stationary on free kicks, I imagine that carries over to penalties. Kick taker acted in good faith, no wrongdoing on his part. Re-kick.

Argyle fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 1, 2011

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I always get swayed by other people's answers, so having not seen the other answers this week...

1) Don't see an issue here. As long as it was an accident, the player wasn't doing anything wrong and the manager had every right to be where he was. An unfortunate accident. Play on.
edit: Misread here, give the manager a warning and a free kick to the player's team.

2) All depends on the ball being over the line or not. I'd say retake the corner, the assistant was right to flag.

3) Goal. It's the same for both taker and keeper. I'm reading it as the wind moving it fractionally and it being still again when it's struck.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 1, 2011

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
Oh noes!

Bio-Hazard fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 23, 2011

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
Keith Hackett's verdict

1) If there is no advantage to be played, stop the game. First, calm the players down and issue cautions to any who overreacted. Second, tell the manager that you are sending him from the technical area, and that he will be reported to the authorities. The front line of the technical area is a metre from the touchline, specifically so that players and assistant referees can move without interference. And finally, restart with a dropped ball taken from where the ball was when you blew the whistle.
Thanks to Chris McHugh.

2) Your assistant has made a mistake, and so have the defenders who chose to play to his flag, rather than to your whistle. The procedure for a corner is clear: the ball is in play once it is kicked and moves. So award the goal. Thanks to Jake Archer.

3) You could argue the conditions are the same for both sides, but the laws state that the ball must be stationary when a penalty kick is taken. If the wind is too strong for the ball to stay still, you need to consider abandoning the game. Unlike in the school playground, it's not acceptable for a colleague to hold the ball still with a finger tip...
Brad Diamond wins the shirt.

my verdict
:smug:

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Dollas posted:

Unlike in the school playground
FIFA should adopt playground rules.

If the keeper jumps and can't reach the ball, then it's over the bar. No exceptions.
If anyone on the attacking team so much as looks at the ball after a penalty claim, the penalty shall not be given (no matter how stonewall) because "X played on!"

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Semprini posted:

FIFA should adopt playground rules.

If the keeper jumps and can't reach the ball, then it's over the bar. No exceptions.
If anyone on the attacking team so much as looks at the ball after a penalty claim, the penalty shall not be given (no matter how stonewall) because "X played on!"

At the start of a game two players will get to select any of the other players to play for them, turn-by-turn until all players are selected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
all refs to be replaced with dinnerladies

• Locked thread