Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
Anyone here ever take advantage of the WWE's free ticket for military people? If so do you have to be in uniform or can you just wear civvies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ifire posted:

Anyone here ever take advantage of the WWE's free ticket for military people? If so do you have to be in uniform or can you just wear civvies?
The WWE must really hate the military.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Can a civilian ask a question in here?

My sister's all set to marry this guy after knowing him for about a couple of weeks. She's my sister so I'm a little protective and she barely knows the guy anyway which I think is weird anyway. She said that he was in the Army, Navy and Marines as a medic for 10 years. Does this happen that often? I thought most people would stay in the branch they started with and gradually move up rather than start over, is it different for medics? Also, now he's out and an iron worker/Class A truck driver and he can't seem to get a job. Maybe it's naive but I thought you left the military with good connections at the very least. What I'm asking is, is this normal (3 service branches) or did he majorly gently caress up somewhere?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

ifire posted:

My dad has. He wore his uniform and received pretty good seats.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

greazeball posted:

My sister's all set to marry this guy after knowing him for about a couple of weeks. She's my sister so I'm a little protective and she barely knows the guy anyway which I think is weird anyway. She said that he was in the Army, Navy and Marines as a medic for 10 years. Does this happen that often? I thought most people would stay in the branch they started with and gradually move up rather than start over, is it different for medics? Also, now he's out and an iron worker/Class A truck driver and he can't seem to get a job. Maybe it's naive but I thought you left the military with good connections at the very least. What I'm asking is, is this normal (3 service branches) or did he majorly gently caress up somewhere?

Guys who bother to stay in for 10 either stay in for 20 to get retirement, or get out because they found something better. Guys with service in two branches is pretty common, but I've never heard of three.

Generally marrying someone who you've only known for a few weeks, is unemployed, or hasn't built any sort of career is a bad idea. To for for a hat-trick speaks for itself. What rank did he get out as? That will probably tell you a lot.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

iceslice posted:

Guys who bother to stay in for 10 either stay in for 20 to get retirement, or get out because they found something better. Guys with service in two branches is pretty common, but I've never heard of three.

Generally marrying someone who you've only known for a few weeks, is unemployed, or hasn't built any sort of career is a bad idea. To for for a hat-trick speaks for itself. What rank did he get out as? That will probably tell you a lot.

BS Meter going way up.

Three services? Possible but unlikely. If so, why bounce around so much?

Time in service? Guys may do 1-2 enlistments & get out, but 10 years?

My guess is either he hosed up or is just not being straight with you. Ask him to see his DD214(Army) or other service papers if he'll share.

iceslice is right, something doesn't seem right.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly

Roving Reporter posted:

Ask him to see his DD214(Army) or other service papers if he'll share.

Ha, I laughed at this.

"So you want to marry my sister? I'm going to need to see some documentation sir. Is it alright if I contact your previous employer?"

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Well I suppose if things get horrible in 6 weeks, we can all pitch in to buy her an account.

GiP E/N sub-forum.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly
Back in Columbus a bunch of us O-1s exposed a fake marine at a bar. The kid looked to be about 18 years old with long college hair. He said he had done a couple tours in Afghanistan. All we did was act genuinely interested (because at first we believed him). After 10 minutes of five of us asking questions we figured out he was a fraud and pretty much humiliated him in front of the whole establishment. Good times.

It isn't difficult to get bullshitters to outbullshit themselves. Just keep them talking. It especially works when they think it's working.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world

Roving Reporter posted:

Well I suppose if things get horrible in 6 weeks, we can all pitch in to buy her an account.

GiP E/N sub-forum.

I thought every thread was a rolling E/N conduit.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

greazeball posted:

Actually, the scenario above isn't that implausible. The Marine Corps doesn't have its own medics...that role is filled by Navy Corpsmen. A corpsman who served with the Marines could justifiably claim to have served in the Navy and Marines. If he switched branches to or from the Army at some point (maybe as a reservist), he would have a good reason to claim service in three branches of the military.

Most jobs in the military don't offer you a lot after separating from the military. Things like intelligence, specialized electronics or mechanical training, and security clearances are valuable. But that's mostly because you can go right into a govt/contracting job immediately after separating from the military. General medic/corpsman training doesn't mean poo poo on the outside. Sure, you can be an EMT, but unless you get additional certifications the pay is about $15/hr. Union jobs can pay much more than that, and I think even brand-new truck drivers make significantly more than EMTs.

That's not to say the guy isn't sketchy, but the situation you describe above isn't that suspicious to me.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

greazeball posted:

Your sister wants to marry someone she doesn't know who's an unemployed truck driver and your concern is whether he could have served in 3 branches of the military?

Really?

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Yo, for real I can smell the meth lab from here.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Thanks everybody, especially Axolotl. Obviously I'm already suspicious as hell about the whole 40yo, no car, unemployed (but with HUGE loving schemes for the future), divorced and with a 20yo daughter who he's just trying to re-establish a relationship with thing. The only thing I didn't have a frame of reference for was the service. Still seems a little odd but I'm slightly reassured that not everybody immediately screamed HOAX! FUCKUP!

My sister's not exactly a prize herself: been on anti-depressants for 8 years since the middle of her previous marriage to a workshy deadbeat lieabout with grandiose plans and an ability to borrow and burn everybody's money he's ever known, still sees a psychiatrist 600 miles away once a month, works graveyard shift and declared bankruptcy last year.

They met at the church/"college" where they got some kind of evangelism certificate and they're not going to kiss until the actual marriage ceremony. :psyduck:

I'll post a link to my E/N thread back in here.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

greazeball posted:

They met at the church/"college" where they got some kind of evangelism certificate and they're not going to kiss until the actual marriage ceremony. :psyduck:

I'd say that's even more damning than his ambiguous service record.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd say that's even more damning than his ambiguous service record.

We were trying to find positive things about him and she mentioned 10 years in the military. That seemed good until this whole 3 branches thing came up and nobody in our family since granddad has served so we didn't know how to take it. Now it's just another in the long list of 'meh'.

Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet
I can't imagine anyone serving in three branches and not doing 20.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
I was going to ask as a hypothetical, would it be possible to serve as enlisted in one branch, leave after your 6 years, get a degree and become an officer in another branch?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Theoretically yes, but why would you want to do it that way? Stick it out till the boards get less competitive and then go officer from the get-go.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly

Ryand-Smith posted:

I was going to ask as a hypothetical, would it be possible to serve as enlisted in one branch, leave after your 6 years, get a degree and become an officer in another branch?

I know lots of guys that did this. Navy -> AF, Army -> AF, Marine -> AF, AF -> AF

But if you have a college degree just skip the enlisted part.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

manic mike posted:

I know lots of guys that did this. Navy -> AF, Army -> AF, Marine -> AF, AF -> AF

I actually know a guy who went AF -> Army, so he'd have a better shot at being a pilot.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Axolotl posted:

Actually, the scenario above isn't that implausible. The Marine Corps doesn't have its own medics...that role is filled by Navy Corpsmen. A corpsman who served with the Marines could justifiably claim to have served in the Navy and Marines. If he switched branches to or from the Army at some point (maybe as a reservist), he would have a good reason to claim service in three branches of the military.

Most jobs in the military don't offer you a lot after separating from the military. Things like intelligence, specialized electronics or mechanical training, and security clearances are valuable. But that's mostly because you can go right into a govt/contracting job immediately after separating from the military. General medic/corpsman training doesn't mean poo poo on the outside. Sure, you can be an EMT, but unless you get additional certifications the pay is about $15/hr. Union jobs can pay much more than that, and I think even brand-new truck drivers make significantly more than EMTs.

That's not to say the guy isn't sketchy, but the situation you describe above isn't that suspicious to me.

Even a "greenside" Corpsman wouldn't claim to have been in the Marine Corps unless he or she was a huge douchebag. I can pretty much guarantee dude is lying, if for no other reason than he has all the other marks of a storyteller; a complete lack of visible follow-on success, seemingly high willingness to tell battle stories, etc.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the guy is a lying sack of poo poo.

Edit: I bet he has a service-related tattoo.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My sister got involved with this guy who had been a "Green Beret and a Navy SEAL." He was also a professor at Stanford, whose research was highly classified.

I talked to her after the first day I met the dude, but for some reason she didn't want to hear it. It took my mom getting all Judge Judy up on his rear end for my sister to finally snap out of it and dump his rear end.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Ryand-Smith posted:

Yes. The Captain who recruited me into AFROTC was a former Marine now AF Personnel Officer. Still wanted to be in the military, just not quite so high speed.

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
I know you're supposed to call Air Force E9's "Chief", but how do you address E7 and E8's? Are you supposed to call them "Master Sergeant" like Army MSgts or can you call them "Sergeant"?

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
FYI You're supposed to call army Master Sergeants 'Sergeant' its just that some of them are big babies.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

FooGoo posted:

I know you're supposed to call Air Force E9's "Chief", but how do you address E7 and E8's? Are you supposed to call them "Master Sergeant" like Army MSgts or can you call them "Sergeant"?

Just "Sergeant." You aren't supposed to call E-8's "Senior", but I've never met one who has objected to it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If you're in the guard you call them Bryan.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Does GiP have an irc channel?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

#milgoons on synirc

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

manic mike posted:

I've heard of guys actually going from officer to enlisted to get into special operations, specifically I read about a Marine officer who resigned his commission to be a SEAL.

My unit had a former enlisted SEAL as an infantry 2LT. He wanted back in after 9/11 but by then had a family/degree/etc and wanted to go officer. The SEALs wouldn't take him back unless he wanted to go through BUDS again.

As an aside he was awesome. He thought his platoon's muzzle discipline was lacking so over a weekend he went to his wood shop and cut M-16 shaped pieces of plywood for every Soldier in his platoon. Then he made his guys carry them everywhere for a few weeks.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
Here is a question for sub guys. I'm going on my first underway soon and am packing my sea bag right now. Shoe wise, would a pair of vans be okay? Or do I need to get some new tennis shoes?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Flippy Floppies.

IS IT THE SHOES
Feb 12, 2007
it probably is

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

FYI You're supposed to call army Master Sergeants 'Sergeant' its just that some of them are big babies.

I had this argument with an e-8 yesterday.

I am stupid but so is he

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Null Integer posted:

Here is a question for sub guys. I'm going on my first underway soon and am packing my sea bag right now. Shoe wise, would a pair of vans be okay? Or do I need to get some new tennis shoes?

They're fine. My $10 pair of knockoff Vans that I got at Payless lasted me three patrols.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Cerekk posted:

They're fine. My $10 pair of knockoff Vans that I got at Payless lasted me three patrols.

I still wear my underway pumas :cool:

tawm
Feb 17, 2011

manic mike posted:

Back in Columbus a bunch of us O-1s exposed a fake marine at a bar. The kid looked to be about 18 years old with long college hair. He said he had done a couple tours in Afghanistan. All we did was act genuinely interested (because at first we believed him). After 10 minutes of five of us asking questions we figured out he was a fraud and pretty much humiliated him in front of the whole establishment. Good times.

It isn't difficult to get bullshitters to outbullshit themselves. Just keep them talking. It especially works when they think it's working.

I love it when people actually want to PRETEND to be Marines. Even people here in SoCal.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Let's talk holsters. I've never carried a weapon before, but this next deployment will have me strapped with a Glock 19. I'm still doing primarily desk work (though I will be traveling to remote sites on occasion, and some level of out-and-about work, but I don't think that is much of a consideration for this question), so comfort walking around the office and sitting down is key. What type of holster would suit my purpose best? I'm guessing thigh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Rrail posted:

Let's talk holsters. I've never carried a weapon before, but this next deployment will have me strapped with a Glock 19. I'm still doing primarily desk work (though I will be traveling to remote sites on occasion, and some level of out-and-about work, but I don't think that is much of a consideration for this question), so comfort walking around the office and sitting down is key. What type of holster would suit my purpose best? I'm guessing thigh?

Yeah, probably a thigh rig, that and a chest rig are the most common ones I've seen people get for deployments. Don't go with a Serpa, though. They're great for law enforcement and places where there isn't a poo poo ton of sand and dust, but if they get debris in the lock it can jam.

Did you have to get special clearance or something to carry a sidearm that isn't the M9?

• Locked thread