Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I am Bob
Apr 29, 2009

Miko posted:

Amen.

'So now you're emasculated by the net machine' after the umpire said he thought Andy's serve was way over the net but called it anyways cause the machine beeped.

Good lord that is awesome, even though he is a pretty big rear end in a top hat sometimes, I really do like him.

For those of you who have it/have played it, how does Top Spin 4 compare to 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

God the media is gonna be insufferable about Harrison even though Federer playing like poo poo is the only reason this match isn't over already.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
So I've been playing Top Spin 4 and all was going well until I got to the Monte Carlo quarters and had my rear end beaten by James Blake :negative:

Hijinkz
Apr 11, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The final set of this Federer-Djokovic SF has been sooo spotty. After getting the momentum from winning the second set, Federer opens the set with a bunch of errors and gets broken immediately. Then serving at 2-1, Djokovic double faults down 0-40 to give back the break. Then Fed's up 40-15 at 2-2, but sprays 3 points in a row and double faults to go down a break again... :argh:

edit: welp looks like he's made up his mind to just continue imploding now, broken again, 2-5 now :(

Hijinkz fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 19, 2011

Yossarian
Jun 23, 2003
I guess Rodger is ranked number 3 now? When was the last time he wasn't 1 or 2?

Kind of a sloppy match, but tomorrow's final should be good. On a side note, I wish I could go to Miami, its a fun tournament to go to.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Yossarian posted:

I guess Rodger is ranked number 3 now? When was the last time he wasn't 1 or 2?

Last July after Wimbledon. I hope that Federer starts getting his act together but I don't think he will, at least he can just focus on his doubles match now :unsmith:

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

God that last set was a depressing mess of terrible play. Federer needs to get his act together. If this hadn't gone three I would give Djokovic a better shot tomorrow but I think Nadal will take it just based on having a slightly easier time today.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Djokovic up 5-1 on Nadal in the final set. Looks like the title is his. He still hasn't lost a match in 2011. :stare: Three straight tourneys now.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Motherfuckers better talk about how Djokovic destroyed Nadal like they said he did Federer. That match was nearly a replay of the semifinal except neither of them hit the ball as pretty as Federer.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

ChaosReaper posted:

Motherfuckers better talk about how Djokovic destroyed Nadal like they said he did Federer. That match was nearly a replay of the semifinal except neither of them hit the ball as pretty as Federer.
You seem to... like this Federer character and his pretty pretty game.

I'm glad Djokovic has maintained his undefeated 2011 and got the best of Nadal when the chips were down. He's in excellent form and isn't suffering from the dips in his play he usually was plagued with. And also it seems whatever Todd Martin did to screw up his serve, he's fixed, which is a good sign. Nadal was playing well, considering the time he took off, we'll see how his clay bulldozing sessions go. Djokovic has a lot of points to pick up from his sparse clay season, and Nadal has nowhere to go but down (unless he kills it again).

I don't see Federer being up in the #1 #2 rankings from here on out. He's getting up there in age, he's still got all the shots in his bag, he's not significantly slower than he used to be. But the biggest thing is his consistency is shaky at best now. With the insane racket speed and smallest margins of error, his timing needs to be airtight, which it used to be. He'll always be considered a GS contender, but I think he's gotta slow down his tournament schedule and try to seriously focus on the big tournaments while staying sharp with match play. I see #17 on the horizon, but not more than that. #17's a heck of a number though.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

It's not that I like him so much more than everyone else it's just I had read an article where someone was like Federer got destroyed in that first set. Then the final plays out nearly the same as the semifinal and I was just wanting to see people say the same about Nadal.

Hijinkz
Apr 11, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Miko posted:

You seem to... like this Federer character and his pretty pretty game.

I'm glad Djokovic has maintained his undefeated 2011 and got the best of Nadal when the chips were down. He's in excellent form and isn't suffering from the dips in his play he usually was plagued with. And also it seems whatever Todd Martin did to screw up his serve, he's fixed, which is a good sign. Nadal was playing well, considering the time he took off, we'll see how his clay bulldozing sessions go. Djokovic has a lot of points to pick up from his sparse clay season, and Nadal has nowhere to go but down (unless he kills it again).

I don't see Federer being up in the #1 #2 rankings from here on out. He's getting up there in age, he's still got all the shots in his bag, he's not significantly slower than he used to be. But the biggest thing is his consistency is shaky at best now. With the insane racket speed and smallest margins of error, his timing needs to be airtight, which it used to be. He'll always be considered a GS contender, but I think he's gotta slow down his tournament schedule and try to seriously focus on the big tournaments while staying sharp with match play. I see #17 on the horizon, but not more than that. #17's a heck of a number though.

Yeah it's gonna be interesting to see if this will be Djokovic's year to dominate. He's playing well no doubt, but he has definitely also benefited from a slight drop in form from both Federer and Nadal.

As for Fed, as much as he should be getting senile, I really don't see it showing in his speed or endurance at all. He still looks to be in great shape, and he's always managed his schedule well. His timing and consistency are definitely off, but that seems like more of a confidence/mental issue. One of the biggest issues when he plays Nadal, Djokovic or anyone that's a threat has always been his inability to capitalize on break points and that's clearly gotten worse and worse these last couple years.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Murray just got a beat down by Bogomolov Jr. 6-1 7-5. This is getting hilariously pathetic.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

What the hell is wrong with Murray? I know most people here don't think highly of him but he's a much better tennis player than losing to loving Donald Young and Bogomolov.

Yossarian
Jun 23, 2003
So I guess ESPN has decided to put all the Miami matches (besides the finals) on ESPN3, which is great. Except for some reason my cable/ISP (Cablevision) doesn't let me watch ESPN3. So now I can't even watch the quarters or semis on TV. Lame.

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

There are four kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy.
Petkovic's kind of on a roll. Beat Woz + Jankovic and is up a set on Sharapova. e: and now she's collapsing

Also Petkovic + Ivanovic is a pretty :swoon: doubles team.

Mandoira fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 31, 2011

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Federer/Nadal is just getting underway at Miami. Weird to see them playing in a semifinal. Winner plays Djokovic in the final.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
Federer is spraying shots all over the court. :(

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

ChaosReaper posted:

What the hell is wrong with Murray? I know most people here don't think highly of him but he's a much better tennis player than losing to loving Donald Young and Bogomolov.

he really isn't

I am Bob
Apr 29, 2009
Federer is uh, well let's just say he is not looking so great.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Federer just doesn't seem to be able to string together the good play long enough to beat a Nadal or Djokovic.

Parsifal
Jan 1, 2009

wel accually u forgot Dolan
Come on Fed, you're supposed to own Rafa on hard courts.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

This match loving sucks and I hope that people who don't usually watch tennis don't think that all matches are like this.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Well that was a depressing match.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I don't know how to describe some of Federer's performances lately. Deflated? He seems passive, uncomfortable and almost nervous the entire time. Astonishing how one of the greatest of all time can walk onto the court and having lost the match almost before a single point has been played.

Then again, that's the beauty of tennis.

Miko
May 20, 2001

charismaslover posted:

This match loving sucks and I hope that people who don't usually watch tennis don't think that all matches are like this.
Considering these two put on the best tennis match I have even seen in my life at Wimbledon 2008, it was quite a deflating semi.

38 unforced errors, Roger. Thirty eight.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Can't believe that I stayed up until 1:30am to watch it. The clay season doesn't look bright for Federer, especially if Djokovic and Nadal keep their form.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Xabi posted:

I don't know how to describe some of Federer's performances lately. Deflated? He seems passive, uncomfortable and almost nervous the entire time. Astonishing how one of the greatest of all time can walk onto the court and having lost the match almost before a single point has been played.

Then again, that's the beauty of tennis.
Federer's game was all about making the high risk look simple. When he started getting up there in age, the high risk stayed the same, but the execution was just not there. How many times today did we see a groundstroke swipe completely miss? Lots.

His timing isn't as perfect as it used to be. And its weird how it goes, I assumed his game would have a long shelf-life, but with his demeanor on court, especially against Djokovic and Nadal, I don't see him getting by these two as easily.

Andy Murray, now there's a lost cause.

Parsifal
Jan 1, 2009

wel accually u forgot Dolan
Federer :negative:

I turned the match on about 15 minutes ago and was hoping to see some good tennis. Oh well. It was interesting though when they were talking about Fed moving to a bigger racquet. The Wilson 6.1 95 is basically the same as the one he uses, I believe, only it's 95 square inches instead of 90. I wonder what would happen if he tried using that in situations where he is struggling. The larger sweet spot might be a little more forgiving, with a slightly larger margin of error.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The most irritating thing about watching Federer these days, is that there's not effort to try something else. He did that against Djokovic in Indian Wells (I think it was, in the second set), where he didn't go all out on every little chance he got. Instead he sometimes played it safe, forcing Djokovic to come up with the goods. It worked - not saying that that exact approach would've worked against Rafa, but my god, try SOMETHING new.

It's sort of like the chip return that people always gave him stick for up until Annacone became his coach and he suddenly started to knock a few topspin backhand returns. Now he does it almost all the time and refuses to change it up if he keeps missing them. Stubborn bastard!

Bandit Solution
May 6, 2007
Problem solving mixture.
My experiences with a K90 (previous paint job of Federer's current racquet):

I've used the Wilson K90 for about three years and it is clearly less forgiving than a larger player's racquet. Hitting with a midplus seems to even out the timing imperfections on your shots: With the K90 there's a much bigger difference between striking the ball sweetly, which is like heaven, and timing the ball imperfectly, where it will often drop very short.

I have no doubt that if I with my K90 were to play against a clone of myself with a midplus the clone with the midplus would win most of the time.

Both Djokovic and Nadal use racquets with 100sq inch heads. Taking huge swings with powerful racquets and spin friendly strings is the future of tennis. I love Federer so it pains to see him being left behind.

I am Bob
Apr 29, 2009
Azarenka made that way closer than it should have been in the 2nd set, but she pulled it out. Sharapova played really bad for large stretches today.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Bandit Solution posted:

My experiences with a K90 (previous paint job of Federer's current racquet):

I've used the Wilson K90 for about three years and it is clearly less forgiving than a larger player's racquet. Hitting with a midplus seems to even out the timing imperfections on your shots: With the K90 there's a much bigger difference between striking the ball sweetly, which is like heaven, and timing the ball imperfectly, where it will often drop very short.

I have no doubt that if I with my K90 were to play against a clone of myself with a midplus the clone with the midplus would win most of the time.

Both Djokovic and Nadal use racquets with 100sq inch heads. Taking huge swings with powerful racquets and spin friendly strings is the future of tennis. I love Federer so it pains to see him being left behind.

This is going to be like Sampras using a Pro Staff original from the early 80s for his entire career isn't it?

Bandit Solution
May 6, 2007
Problem solving mixture.
Yes very likely

Miko
May 20, 2001

Sampras uses a Babolat now in his older years. Wilson specifically made a Sampras-esque K88 racket for him, but at his age, he could use the help.

Roger does have a lifetime contract w Wilson though.

On to the Finals!

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.
So, is no one else watching the Nadal/Djokovic final? It's been pretty good. I'm starting to think Djokovic may have a shot at #1 this year.

E: Another win for Djokovic. drat, crazy start to the year. Of course Nadal's clay season is coming up, but still, it should be an interesting year.

Steve112sms fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 3, 2011

I am Bob
Apr 29, 2009
Djokovic is on fire this year. Nice Match.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Novak is looking scary good this year. If he can keep up this play through clay court season he'll be number 1 easy.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Excellent final. Nadal looked off balance most of the match, with Djokovic setting the tone with his shots.

Clay is likely going to be a different story, but I'm glad tennis is showing some ambuguity in its matchups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Now the real test for Nadal begins, he has essentially 7000 points to defend until August.

• Locked thread