Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
i have come to the conclusion that mixtape cover art is all done by the same person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

farmtrill posted:

just ignore alan. he is down with flocka but not three 6..... tells u all u need to know
That I have good taste? Also "DAT NIGGA LEX LUGER"

Jock Mocken posted:

Gibbs et. al.
That sounds much more promising than Slaughterhouse, at least in terms of making listenable music. Although I'll give Slaughterhouse some credit since unlike a lot of these supergroups, they actually put out an album (and most likely will have another).

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm not super into hip-hop, but I think I'd really like more "punchline rappers". I really dig early Eminem and the aforementioned Celph-Titled, are there other people I should be checking out who basically just compile sick couplets? I've never heard of a punchline rapper before.
Few other artists were mentioned too, coupule others I'd add. Wordsworth is big on punchlines, although I don't think he's put anything out in awhile. Vast Aire also does that type of rapping a lot, but he's also got kinda this odd style so maybe he just lacks breath control to link more poo poo together idk. Tame One's another fav of mine. Really most of the Demigodz and Weathermen (former and present) will do that poo poo. So if you do pick up the Demigodz CD/EP just check for the solo artists (although Apathy and Louis Logic also have a lot of more straightforward rap on most of their albums[also why I think they're probably the best but w/e]). There was a Weathermen cd called "Conspiracy" iirc that should have a bunch of dudes to look out for as well.

Also not sure if it would be your thing, but most of the battle rap poo poo is pretty punchy, but since it's a battle it's more gonna be focused on snapping on dudes than making actual songs. It's not really my thing but they do have a lot of nice lines, I don't know who's big really now but some names I remember are Serius Jones, Murda Mook, and Jae Millz so they got a lot of youtubes of battles that you can check.

Splits posted:

copywrite poo poo
Talked about this in the last thread, he had some beef (over money or something, can't remember) with a bunch of the weathermen then got stomped. He came off looking real lame afterwards, and I think that killed a lot of his momentum at the time. He formed his own group O.D.O.T. and put out a mixtape around 07 or so, haven't heard anything since.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

caveman thug poo poo posted:

also I dont think Celph has dropped an n-bomb in quite some time.. I'm thinking back to the AOTP/Apathy albums and I dont really remember any

He did in his last album on the trach I Could Write A Rhyme.

Now I'm 19 and a Floridian in New York
White Cuban boy that says nigga and eats pork

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
For the guy asking about punchline rappers, Vakill's got some pretty decent punchlines but I wouldn't call him a punchline rapper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgrYNbYyhcg

Basically everyone on this track is worth checking out if you like that style of rap. Copywrite's "beat the odds like an abusive freak show owner" line always makes me laugh when I hear it.

Edit: "My hip hop status is C-section cause I'm a cut above you pussies" ahaha forgot how hilarious this track is.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 3, 2011

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Harminoff posted:

He did in his last album on the trach I Could Write A Rhyme.

Now I'm 19 and a Floridian in New York
White Cuban boy that says nigga and eats pork

He became self aware! :ms:

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
welp i guess i toss in my hat on the celph doesnt say nigga debate then

HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

I love the idea of a Gibbs/Bun/Cool Kids super duper group, but I'll be checking for their album right after I pick up Detox.

I've been listening to this dude HiClas!, his flow's nice as hell even if he has a dumb rear end name.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7FBfUV_m2w&feature=feedlik

He can even spit over dubstep without sounding awkward as poo poo, which I consider an accompishment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un_bduLsrWI&feature=feedf

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
"They ain't super or Luigi or Mario, ain't found that power
Plus they couldn't spit fire if they found that flower"

"You don't move white you lying dog
But that's a Neverending Story, without the white flying dog"

"As far as rappers I'm thinking they're frauds
Call 'em all Rubix Cubes cause I really used to think they was hard"

"You Terrell Owens, them niggas that wear eagles they don't even want to gently caress with you"

"6 Minutes of Death" with Joe Budden, Jae Millz, and Stack Bundles is pretty much punchlines from start to finish.

HalPhilipWalker
Feb 14, 2008
Does Christmas smell like oranges to you?
Everyone needs to drop what they're doing and check out Big K.R.I.T.'s mixtape returnof4eva. It's dope as gently caress.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Well if you like punchlines, you gotta check out Thinkin' Thoed off Paul Wall & Chamillionaire's Get Ya Mind Correct (one of my favorite albums of all time).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBFLAdMOIu0

The intro is pretty great and Paul Wall's verse at about 50 seconds in gets ridiculous, but the whole song is full of gems. It's not a bunch of battle rap lines, rather a bunch of gloating about how much money and toys they have (want).

a couple of random lines from track 3 posted:

I'm throwed like a fastball from Greg Maddux

trunk turnin flips, people think I teach gymnastics

nba draft teams wanna recruit us, three point diamonds man the lakers couldn't outshoot us!

Also Jurassic is a term describing something really big.

texasmed fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 4, 2011

Backup Snacks
Jan 27, 2006

WHO THE FUCK TOLD ME NOT TO SPOKE?
Psh Celph Titled? The best "did he really say that?" moment has gotta be Cage to Eminem "You wanna kill me nigga?" I realize that's different than using it frequently in songs but it made me :raise: since it was loving Cage talking to Eminem. Dope track though.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Don't know if anyone here "Tumbles" but I write about hip-hop (badly? I don't know I haven't had much criticism due to low amount of readership) and occasionally post videos and other material. I tend to only post what I consider "hidden gems," I'm not trying to be a 2dopeboyz or worldstarhiphop style content repository. So if anyone has a Tumblr account or just wants to read/make fun of hip-hop rants then click this link.

My taste ranges from Asher Roth to the most ignorant of ignant hood rap to even some backpacker type stuff. I'm not catering to any particular audience, just people that want to listen/discuss all kinds of rap

Backup Snacks
Jan 27, 2006

WHO THE FUCK TOLD ME NOT TO SPOKE?
"Soulja Boy himself" then Asher Roth/Justin Bieber right below that..

:cmon:

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Backup Snacks posted:

"Soulja Boy himself" then Asher Roth/Justin Bieber right below that..

:cmon:

there was a degree of sarcasm in the Soulja Boy being given the title of "himself." and it is notable when a multiplatinum artist features on a little-known (to my knowledge) New Orleans artist.

Justin Bieber is talented and since his collab with Kanye I am interested to see the sonic results of a collab between him and Asher if that wasn't an April Fools joke.

not sure that point in particular was deserving of a :cmon:

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn
Mouse on tha Track isn't little known you dipshit he produced all of Boosie's best jams plus like every other Trill ENT song worth listening to

e: also Baton Rouge ain't New Orleans

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Jock Mocken posted:

Mouse on tha Track isn't little known you dipshit he produced all of Boosie's best jams plus like every other Trill ENT song worth listening to

e: also Baton Rouge ain't New Orleans

Hey look I'm not a dipshit if you asked the most hip-hop heads/rap listeners outside of Louisiana (probably in Louisiana too) then they probably would not know who the gently caress that was off the top. That's also why I put the disclaimer *to my knowledge.* I do appreciate you sharing that with me though but relax.

edit: Anyways I would like to keep the focus on me to a minimum. Part of the goal of writing this ish is so I can learn more about hip-hop which I honestly want to do which is more than you can say for many people.

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 4, 2011

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

Dude we're on the internet, his myspace is the first result on Google:

and I guarantee people would recognize his drops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mywxTIM-iPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCUiGArhW2M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66_oatCcqUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaLtiksx-hw

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

edit: Anyways I would like to keep the focus on me to a minimum. Part of the goal of writing this ish is so I can learn more about hip-hop which I honestly want to do which is more than you can say for many people.

Try harder. I reserve the right to get salty if you're gonna be lazy

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Oh poo poo he's responsible for wipe me down? Hahah okay that poo poo is crazy. My bad.

CrandleBerries
Oct 21, 2005
ITT Tech graduated ninja
Went to go see Immortal Technique in Oakland tonight. The venue was pretty tight, def going back.. Murs is playing on Thursday for 15$ I might hit that up also.

Video I took when he got on stage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srV-OcLze4I

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Don't know if anyone here "Tumbles" but I write about hip-hop (badly? I don't know I haven't had much criticism due to low amount of readership) and occasionally post videos and other material. I tend to only post what I consider "hidden gems," I'm not trying to be a 2dopeboyz or worldstarhiphop style content repository. So if anyone has a Tumblr account or just wants to read/make fun of hip-hop rants then click this link.

My taste ranges from Asher Roth to the most ignorant of ignant hood rap to even some backpacker type stuff. I'm not catering to any particular audience, just people that want to listen/discuss all kinds of rap

Holy poo poo.

quote:

A friend of mine described him as a “more soulful version of Yelawolf, possibly even better” and while I don’t agree with that summation I do agree he has a penchant for creating a more traditional southern soulful tune whereas Yelawolf’s songs sound a little more experimental, like the entire song took a hit of crystal meth. Perhaps Rittz could be looked at as the Big Boi to Yela’s Andre 3000.

Your tumblr is all some sort of ironic troll right?

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
Here's mister cee's hot97 mix from today http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UM99I9ZL

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

plogo posted:

Is it ok to post mixes recorded from the radio? I've got a funk flex session that I think I should post.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Teepkick Shakur posted:

Is it ok to post mixes recorded from the radio? I've got a funk flex session that I think I should post.

Yes please. Love me some good mixes.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008
Does anyone have youtube links to late 90s wayne? I remember listening to some poo poo of his from like 98, 99 and he sounds really scrappy and raw and I loved it.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

Morphix posted:

Yes please. Love me some good mixes.

This is the 4th of July Mixdown he did in 2007. Its 4 hours long of 90s rap starting in the early 90's and moving up to about, I dunno, 1998. It's straight up old school, camouflage jansport backpack, punch a dude in the face for staring at you greasy, run him for his avirex leather jacket, hip hop.

http://www.mediafire.com/?06ubic3dyckt6c2
http://www.mediafire.com/?r23wrxthvpjp6ut

Most of you probably wont enjoy it until he gets into about hour 3 but the way he and cypha cut it up and the strolls down memory lane make it a pretty awesome mix.

Whenever the sun starts to come out I play this in the ride with the windows down. Hopefully you'll be doing the same thing.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

Teepkick Shakur posted:

This is the 4th of July Mixdown he did in 2007. Its 4 hours long of 90s rap starting in the early 90's and moving up to about, I dunno, 1998. It's straight up old school, camouflage jansport backpack, punch a dude in the face for staring at you greasy, run him for his avirex leather jacket, hip hop.

all east coast, i imagine.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

cardedagain posted:

all east coast, i imagine.

Well...He has 30 seconds of Cube in there does that count as west coast?

Its Funk Master Flex on Hot 97 doing a 4hour long nostalgia mix of course its east coast.

EDIT: Oh and theres some Common on there.

Teepkick Shakur fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 4, 2011

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

plogo posted:

I take it from the filename that this was in response to this whole situation? anyways definitely gonna listen to this and the Flex one that The Senate posted. And if anyone is interested in some less NY-centric mixes, there's a bunch of Jaycee mixes up here

Gaza posted:

Does anyone have youtube links to late 90s wayne? I remember listening to some poo poo of his from like 98, 99 and he sounds really scrappy and raw and I loved it.

are you loving kidding me? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lil_Wayne_discography

and bc I'm feeling generous here's a list Noz did for Complex with streams that includes a lot of earlier stuff

Jock Mocken fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 4, 2011

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Teepkick Shakur posted:

Holy poo poo.

Your tumblr is all some sort of ironic troll right?

No. :( I know I'm no Noz but come on.

Any way, this isn't specifically hip-hop but did anyone else check this out:

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 4, 2011

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!
Did the Del interview last night and I ended up giving him a ride to his own show which made me nerd out pretty hard. We talked about what he's doing and trying to do. He said that they're actually nowhere near done with Event II yet and he's supposed to hook up with Automator after the tour. The other thing I'm excited about is he said his label is trying to get Doom to do an album with him but it's hard to get in touch with the guy because he's slowly become a complete recluse.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

HatchetDown posted:

Did the Del interview last night and I ended up giving him a ride to his own show which made me nerd out pretty hard. We talked about what he's doing and trying to do. He said that they're actually nowhere near done with Event II yet and he's supposed to hook up with Automator after the tour. The other thing I'm excited about is he said his label is trying to get Doom to do an album with him but it's hard to get in touch with the guy because he's slowly become a complete recluse.

That's pretty cool, any way we could check the interview out? I will say I'd actually be surprised to ever see another album with Automator though (is anyone even checking for that anymore?) Did you ask anything about his thoughts on the industry currently?

And I remember when Doom first started having people pretending to be him doing his shows there was some speculation that he had some health problems, I'm wondering if that's not the case. I can't think of anyone else who was that prolific just totally disappearing right when they started breaking through (especially since Doom never been shy about how money-focused he is/was). Or maybe now the money's just not enough to make him bother.

I would say a Doom/Del album would be...interesting. Not sure how it would work though, since neither of them has a real high-energy flow.

powerful drum sound
Mar 18, 2009

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

No. :( I know I'm no Noz but come on.

Any way, this isn't specifically hip-hop but did anyone else check this out:

lol i have never heard of this album before, is it dipset affiliated?

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Jock Mocken posted:

I take it from the filename that this was in response to this whole situation? anyways definitely gonna listen to this and the Flex one that The Senate posted. And if anyone is interested in some less NY-centric mixes, there's a bunch of Jaycee mixes up here

Yeah, he doesn't speak on the situation or whatever, but it's clearly what the mix is about.

Also not hip hop but here's funkmaster flex playing 80s dance classics. http://djelwood.blogspot.com/2007/11/funk-flex-dance-classics-set-123193.html

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
After the Joe Budden discussion on the last page, I picked up Padded Room. This poo poo is amazing -- his flow is amazing. I had never heard In My Sleep until it came up, and it floored me.

What else should I pick up by him? Wiki lists a few digital albums and four mixtapes -- how many of those are worth grabbing?

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

HatchetDown posted:

poo poo, the Doom/Ghost album never happened.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

powerful drum sound posted:

lol i have never heard of this album before, is it dipset affiliated?

Odd Future, actually. I guess he was (is?) actually signed to Def Jam Island, but for whatever reason couldn't get an album released. Wrote songs for some pretty big names too, iirc.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

cardedagain posted:

poo poo, the Doom/Ghost album never happened.

I totally forgot about that. What happened there?

milkrun
Mar 7, 2007

HalPhilipWalker posted:

Everyone needs to drop what they're doing and check out Big K.R.I.T.'s mixtape returnof4eva. It's dope as gently caress.
thanks for the rec this is a really good mixtape!

i like this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-uJI12vH4Q

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!

alansmithee posted:

That's pretty cool, any way we could check the interview out? I will say I'd actually be surprised to ever see another album with Automator though (is anyone even checking for that anymore?) Did you ask anything about his thoughts on the industry currently?

And I remember when Doom first started having people pretending to be him doing his shows there was some speculation that he had some health problems, I'm wondering if that's not the case. I can't think of anyone else who was that prolific just totally disappearing right when they started breaking through (especially since Doom never been shy about how money-focused he is/was). Or maybe now the money's just not enough to make him bother.

I would say a Doom/Del album would be...interesting. Not sure how it would work though, since neither of them has a real high-energy flow.

Yeah that was one of my first questions actually and I'm going to post it as soon as I can, my home computer is down.

He mentioned the whole fake Doom thing and how he's pretty sure that that's all that he was doing, coming out with an album every time he wanted to make some cash and just stays with his family. Afterward Doom's excuse for having another guy do his shows was that Doom is techinically a character and Del was like "C'mon man you can't just say that poo poo after the fact"

I just like the idea of Del/Doom because after ICP/Twiztid they were the two rappers that really got me into hip hop. Realistically it might be a little off-balance. I think Del is sort of high energy, or at least his flow has its own special kind of emphatic, while Doom's voice is real grainy and mellow.

Speaking of I.C.P. I'm actually doing this for a Juggalo News site so don't :stare: when you see the credit for Faygoluvers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

HatchetDown posted:

Speaking of I.C.P. I'm actually doing this for a Juggalo News site so don't :stare: when you see the credit for Faygoluvers.

Just when I was starting to like you!

• Locked thread