Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mwarkentin
Oct 26, 2004
Is this their new proposal?

http://aegir.openmedia.ca/sites/openmedia.ca/files/BCE_TN_Re2011-77_110328.pdf

Seems like they want to sell a pre-paid TB to 3rd party ISPs for $200 ($0.195 / GB).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008
What the gently caress? Buying bandwidth by the bulk? Is this a joke.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Its still pretty brutal when you factor in the GAS wholesale access charge for the ISPs. Delivering 200gb to a customer, for example, would cost Teksavvy $39 over and above the GAS fees. Its just the same poo poo with a different name, with the individual customer taken out of the equation to torpedo the independent ISPs public support.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
That price is more than I pay for bandwidth, and I'm not an ISP. So ya, giant ripoff.

Somebody needs to smack these buggers down. I say nationalize the last miles.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I was hoping this would become an election issue. I'm sure Bell will lay low on this until after May and then quietly implement it.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!
Yea those prices are still dumb. I can buy bulk bandwidth at my datacenter for a quarter of that price.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Don't forget that according to Netflix, the cost of delivering transfer to residential user in Canada is under 1 penny a gigabyte (so a terabyte of transfer should be under $10).

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Sprawl posted:

Yea those prices are still dumb. I can buy bulk bandwidth at my datacenter for a quarter of that price.

It gets dumber when you realize that Teksavvy will be paying this tax to Bell and then again to their own bandwidth provider.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Powershift posted:

http://openmedia.ca/news/bell-backs-down-internet-becomes-election-issue

Backing down or laying low?

I think it might more be a matter of they're scared of any legislation that might occur because of this that actually forces them to tie price of service to cost of provision. This is kind of like Khadaffi offering to 'retire' after a month of revolt, because he doesn't want to be tried by the ICC, e.g. a weak offer hoping to head off a righteous and hopefully inevitable punishment.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Anybody have any experience with Acanac cable serivce? Apparently it's a nightmare if you have no technical skills but that's not an issue - the cost for their 15mbps service comes out actually cheaper than Teksavvy's dry-loop 5mbps DSL per month, and they both have "unlimited" bandwidth for the time being.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Scaramouche posted:

I think it might more be a matter of they're scared of any legislation that might occur because of this that actually forces them to tie price of service to cost of provision. This is kind of like Khadaffi offering to 'retire' after a month of revolt, because he doesn't want to be tried by the ICC, e.g. a weak offer hoping to head off a righteous and hopefully inevitable punishment.

And it's still lovely UBB. Only difference is now they're charging 20c/GB instead of $2.

It doesn't change the fact that they want Teksavvy et al. to pay for the data twice: Once as GAS and once with UBB.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Spam Drops 1/3 After Rustock Botnet Gets Crushed

quote:

For reference, toward the end of 2010, Rustock had been responsible for as much as 47.5% of all spam, sending approximately 44.1 billion e-mails per day, according to MessageLabs stats.

Evtim posted:

Excellent! So they can drop all attempts to regulate the bandwidth. After all we just got 30% wider pipe, did we not?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
So I finally got around to logging into my Telus (optik tv+internet) account to setup payment plans etc, and I was checking out the Usage stats.

There are none, it's all 0.00 GB used for each of the time periods. Are they just not switching it on or do you have to hit the 100GB ceiling then it goes live? Or is it more of a "eh, we could turn this on one day but for now gently caress it" type of thing?

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

priznat posted:

So I finally got around to logging into my Telus (optik tv+internet) account to setup payment plans etc, and I was checking out the Usage stats.

There are none, it's all 0.00 GB used for each of the time periods. Are they just not switching it on or do you have to hit the 100GB ceiling then it goes live? Or is it more of a "eh, we could turn this on one day but for now gently caress it" type of thing?

No i don't believe that tracking has ever worked i've had the service for ~8 months now and i've definitely gone over the limit and my traffic has never gone above 0.00 gb.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ah that's nice. Are they like shaw was, if there is someone using a large chunk of bandwidth they call them up first rather than just applying charges automatically?

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

priznat posted:

Ah that's nice. Are they like shaw was, if there is someone using a large chunk of bandwidth they call them up first rather than just applying charges automatically?

Yea and you have to go over 3 months before they even bother you, with shaw that is. I dont know their policy about overages and billing.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Great, just got an email from Acanac telling me that after further investigation I can't actually get their cable service at my place. This after 20 minutes on the phone with them making entirely sure that I could and them reassuring me many times about it.

Thanks Acanac! loving idiots.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

VERTiG0 posted:

Great, just got an email from Acanac telling me that after further investigation I can't actually get their cable service at my place. This after 20 minutes on the phone with them making entirely sure that I could and them reassuring me many times about it.

Thanks Acanac! loving idiots.

actually I just checked my area and it said yes, but months ago it said no. Are you under Cogeco? I called to check as well, but the idiot might was probably using the same checker as I was and just said "Yeah, it's available." Without knowing why I was doublechecking.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I'm in a Rogers area. I'm now getting set up for Teksavvy cable, which is apparently available here, though that's what Acanac told me too. I guess we'll see.

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

Part of a healthy and well-balanced diet.

priznat posted:

If you have Optik TV, you effectively have no usage cap (at least until later this year).

They currently can't differentiate between TV and Internet traffic (or rather, in a way that makes it easy for tracking/billing), so they don't even bother.

If you're on a regular high speed plan (with no TV), you need go a little over double your advertised usage cap before they'll contact you to slow it down a little.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

VERTiG0 posted:

I'm in a Rogers area. I'm now getting set up for Teksavvy cable, which is apparently available here, though that's what Acanac told me too. I guess we'll see.
Yeah, I wouldn't be so quick to blame Acanac because the big telcos have rather unreliable info on that kind of stuff. Back where I used to live, apparently Bell started upgrading all the lines but decided not to bother finishing the job, so all of Teksavvy's info said my postal code was fine, but once they sent the service person out they found out the phone lines connected to my house are too old to accept high-speed DSL. And I only contacted them in the first place out of curiousity because Bell was telling me for 3 weeks straight that the problem was clearly from my own internal wiring.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

random nickname posted:

If you have Optik TV, you effectively have no usage cap (at least until later this year).

They currently can't differentiate between TV and Internet traffic (or rather, in a way that makes it easy for tracking/billing), so they don't even bother.

If you're on a regular high speed plan (with no TV), you need go a little over double your advertised usage cap before they'll contact you to slow it down a little.

Nice, are they doing upgrades to allow the differentiation later this year then? It'd probably be completely separate from that but I'm hoping they upgrade the equipment in my area so I can get the Turbo and also be able to watch/record 2 HD channels at the same time. That limitation kind of sucks :(

Thankfully with the time-shifted eastern channels I can usually stagger out the show recordings when they're all bunched up on one night.

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

Part of a healthy and well-balanced diet.

priznat posted:

Nice, are they doing upgrades to allow the differentiation later this year then? It'd probably be completely separate from that but I'm hoping they upgrade the equipment in my area so I can get the Turbo and also be able to watch/record 2 HD channels at the same time. That limitation kind of sucks :(

Thankfully with the time-shifted eastern channels I can usually stagger out the show recordings when they're all bunched up on one night.

Ironically, it seems people worried about their usage is pushing Telus to actually develop something that can track it properly. Optik TV runs through the internet, so it's difficult for them to tell if that 5Mbp/s you're pulling at the time is internet traffic or TV traffic.

Even if they upgrade the ports in your area, you might not find out about it simply because they often use the upgrades to make room for new subscribers. However, if you contact customer service or repair they could probably tell you if your line qualifies for something higher.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Okay, so summer (effectively close as you get here in Canada :v:) is almost back and I'm heading back home for work and such, might be staying a bit longer too.

We live in Nothern Ontario, near Thunder Bay, and currently have Bell DSL, 5/800 as best I could always tell from our speeds (Steam at it's best could siphon about 850kpbs at 2 am, and our upload can't be the worst as I hosted some smaller games' servers a couple of times and one L4D listen server that seemed to work well enough), though these were peaks and it never usually lives up to this and has frequent drops where we have no internet for about half-hour periods, usually once a day on average.

So I decided that the fact that we do have a limit (120 when I last looked, but I was last living at home in Dec. 09, I'm certain their greedy asses have changed it without notifying my parents) sucks. So I checked on TekSavvy's site and they say our phone number is good for it as best they can tell.

So I'm here just to get a couple nervous points out of the way before I spring it on them to switch.

A. Seeing we already have equivalent DSL service in theory, our lines should be good to handle TekSavvy's service, right?

B. What are their general upkeeps like, do people who use them still get dropped periods or excessively slowed speeds at peak or other hours?

C. What's the setup for this like? I myself haven't owned a home to set up my own internet yet, so what's a timeframe from start to finish and how long would we be with internet, or phone service (if we lose phone seeing it's DSL)? And what would having technician's come out cost? It's not TBay itself, and is about 4 hours from there.

I just don't want my parent's first impression of them to be bad. They trust me completely with any matter involving electronics or internet, but I'd like to keep this smooth.

Ninja edit: Oh also, can you get House on Netflix in canada yet? Because if that and the few other shows we watch can be seen there, I might convince them to drop satellite from Bell also, my Father watches virtually no TV and my mother only a few specific shows.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 8, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

StealthArcher posted:

Ninja edit: Oh also, can you get House on Netflix in canada yet? Because if that and the few other shows we watch can be seen there, I might convince them to drop satellite from Bell also, my Father watches virtually no TV and my mother only a few specific shows.

"Not available"

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Martytoof posted:

"Not available"

Of course. :I

Why can't they get anything good here again?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CTVGlobeMedia probably.

Probably not, but gently caress them anyway :q:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
We've got all of Mad Men, though, and apparently they don't in the States.

Small comfort, but with lovely Canadian Netflix you have to take what you can get.

Null Set
Nov 5, 2007

the dog represents disdain

Martytoof posted:

CTVGlobeMedia probably.

Probably not, but gently caress them anyway :q:

Global has the most recent House episodes up for streaming on their site.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Null Set posted:

Global has the most recent House episodes up for streaming on their site.

You can also buy the season on iTunes for like $46 if they don't care about HD. ($65 I think if you do). Still less than a month of Bell ExpressVu, and that's for a whole year of episodes. And finally, depending on where you are, you can probably get Global or even GlobalHD digitally by antenna for free.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!

univbee posted:

You can also buy the season on iTunes for like $46 if they don't care about HD. ($65 plus overage fees for BEING A HORRIBLE LAWBREAKING DRAIN ON PURE CANADIAN SOCIETY I think if you do).

You forgot the most important part.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Netflix in Canada (and not the US) has the first season of Justified and I strongly recommend checking it out if you haven't yet!

Timothy Olyphant :allears:

Null Set
Nov 5, 2007

priznat posted:

Netflix in Canada (and not the US) has the first season of Justified and I strongly recommend checking it out if you haven't yet!

Timothy Olyphant :allears:

More importantly, it has all three seasons of Arrested Development.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I've been using http://www.usvideo.org to proxy US Netflix ever since someone mentioned it in the Toronto thread. It's been two months now and it's working great.

The site is really good about giving you complete instructions on whatever your equipment is, and how to set up a virtual US credit card. All together it works out to around $12/mth for me. (I paid $50 to get a year service of US Video as opposed to doing $5/mth though.)

There's a free week-long trial for US Video, (and a month for US Netflix) but you're still going to have to spend a bit of money setting up an Entropay account if you don't happen to have a US credit card somehow.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I finally got Acanac cable; it became available recently. I would rather support teksavvy but it's $15 more per month for the same thing and not available. Don't even have to wait for technicians because I'm switching from cogeco.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Well it's nice to get all these extra ideas, but anyone have answers to my other questions? :D

Null Set
Nov 5, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

I've been using http://www.usvideo.org to proxy US Netflix ever since someone mentioned it in the Toronto thread. It's been two months now and it's working great.

The site is really good about giving you complete instructions on whatever your equipment is, and how to set up a virtual US credit card. All together it works out to around $12/mth for me. (I paid $50 to get a year service of US Video as opposed to doing $5/mth though.)

There's a free week-long trial for US Video, (and a month for US Netflix) but you're still going to have to spend a bit of money setting up an Entropay account if you don't happen to have a US credit card somehow.

oh my god I can watch Hulu in Canada today is the best day

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Right, I forgot to mention it works for other services. It just sucks that Hulu Plus is an extra charge if you want to watch on PS3 or whatever. Still cheaper than building an HTPC for the service I think. I'm not going to pay for Hulu unless we somehow ever get sick of Netflix.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

teethgrinder posted:

I've got a US VPN, so I could probably do this on my PS3 by switching to Tomato OpenVPN and using Entropay. I don't need the MLPPP firmware anymore, but OpenVPN is also more expensive than SSTP from my provider.

The thing is I have $20/mo unlimited Usenet and scarcely use that VPN since my torrents are unfiltered, soooo-oooo....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mwarkentin
Oct 26, 2004
I successfully switched over to Teksavvy this weekend.. it seems like my Rogers internet isn't cancelled yet though.. going to have to give them another call.