Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Okay wait, is that one of the good GG games or one of the bad ones? Also, does anyone know if it supports a 360 pad out of the box? I really, really want a 2D fighting game right now and a good GG would scratch that itch.

I don't know about 360 pad support, but I believe that XX Reload was the preferred title in the XX series?

Don't know how well the game survived the port to PC, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

The only "bad" Guilty Gear I can think of is Isuka (and I didn't even get it, so I don't know if that's true). X2, Reload, Accent Core (Plus), they are all great. I have no idea if the PC versions run okay or whatever though.

ToxicFrog posted:

if you're interested in SR2 you should play SR2: Reboot, not vanilla - but it looks like Reboot is only on Steam, not GoG

I got things mixed up, from the looks of it. I kept thinking SR wasn't on Steam at all, and only SR1 was on GOG, so I was waiting for SR2 to show up. Now that it's on sale, I know the version I want is on Steam. Might as well wait for the summer sale then. For Space Wolves too.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Does Guilty Gear have mp online or is it just local?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

GoldenNugget posted:

Just local I believe. The Japanese version had its own online matchmaking service.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

would you say that Star Wolves is sort of like MechCommander IN SPACE to any degree because that would own.

I've never played MechCommander, so I have no idea.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Yo, GGXX:R is an amazing, crazy, and crazy-fast 2d fighter with the weirdest drat storyline. Definitely one of my top PS2 games. Never tried the port, but I'm getting it just to have this game forever at reach.

Also, when the hell did they get King's *Bounty*? That is crazy. I'm starting to think GOG is evil just from how awesome they are.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

GoldenNugget posted:

Shazam!

e: VVV :monocle:

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 7, 2011

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Doc Hawkins posted:

Shazam!

That doesn't apply to the version GoG is selling, though.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

So I got my 360 controller working with Guilty Gear. The controls in game all show up as PlayStation buttons and the 360 face buttons don't line up properly, so redefine yourself unless you want your controls all mixed up. The triggers don't work at all, I guess the game doesn't like extra analogue inputs, also Start is mapped to pushing down the right analogue stick and you can't seem to change that. I guess you could use something like Xpadder or some similar software to map the triggers and start/select buttons. I quickly tested with another 360 controller plugged in and it recognises them as separate controllers so you can get some local multiplayer going on.

Also I had to Alt-F4 to quit the game for some reason, but that's only a minor inconvenience.

All that aside, it's all good.

Fake edit: Seems there's a config.exe in the game folder where you can enable the Z axis and thus use the Triggers, also you can remap Start-Select there as well.

Real edit: The soundtrack to this is pretty rockin'

cool new Metroid game fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 7, 2011

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Megadyptes posted:

Real edit: The soundtrack to this is pretty rockin'

gently caress yeah.

Bought Guilty Gear without hesitation. Chances that I'll ever install it are pretty slim, but hey... that's piracy redemption for ya.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 7, 2011

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GoG needs to get back with Codemasters to bring me MTV Music Generator/Music 2000. The PC version crashes when I try to load music videos and it's very buggy in general on Windows 7. It's an awesome piece of software either way.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

al-azad posted:

GoG needs to get back with Codemasters to bring me MTV Music Generator/Music 2000. The PC version crashes when I try to load music videos and it's very buggy in general on Windows 7. It's an awesome piece of software either way.

Nah, it's all about eJay.
I wonder who owns eJay now, it was Fasttrak but they went under sometime ago.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Just finished listening to this 2 hour Guilty Gear sound track. It's loving awesome. I never usually bother with downloading the GoG extra soundtracks, any other of the good old games have badass soundtracks that everyone should rock out to?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Megadyptes posted:

Fake edit: Seems there's a config.exe in the game folder where you can enable the Z axis and thus use the Triggers, also you can remap Start-Select there as well.

So getting a 360 controller to work on it is just a matter of using that .exe?

:negative: I said I wasn't going to buy anything this week after RotH (which I bought in like 2 seconds of seeing it was available, poo poo owns).

quote:

Just finished listening to this 2 hour Guilty Gear sound track. It's loving awesome. I never usually bother with downloading the GoG extra soundtracks, any other of the good old games have badass soundtracks that everyone should rock out to?

Unreal series, all of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9UI6tP34hk

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 8, 2011

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Megadyptes posted:

Earthworm Jim.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!

Megadyptes posted:

Arc fighting game soundtracks are simply badass period. I already have the Midnight Carnival soundtrack and it probably is their best soundtrack actually.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

ToxicFrog posted:

I've never played MechCommander, so I have no idea.

I suggest that you do :colbert:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Oh weird, never would've expected Guilty Gear, of all games, to show up on GOG. Bought it just for the soundtrack; I'm not into metal but the music happens to still be catchy as hell (May's theme is one of my favorite video game tunes ever).

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It's a page late, but in the hypothetical universe where EA pulls the giant angry bug out of their collective rear end, gently pats it on the thorax, and skips over to GoG to sign a contract, the first game they would release would be Theme Hospital if not the entire Bullfrog library at once so I could go between healing people and telling my squad of four badasses to murder faster.

That's my universe.

Also I've have more luck getting the Crusader games to run well in VPC and DosBox than I have with the Syndicate games.

But what about Road Warrior? I never could beat the last few areas of it or Quarantine when I was younger :(

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
For some reason I've lost all sound during the cutscenes in Realms of the Haunting. I get sound okay during gameplay and in all other programs, but when RotH goes into FMV it's all dead silence. Anyone have any clue what's up?

EDIT: Fixed it, somehow the line MovieAud in the ROTH.ini file got flagged to OFF. I have no idea how, but I changed it to on and now it works. Saw a topic on the GoG board with the same question and offered that solution.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 8, 2011

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Megadyptes posted:

Thanks for investigating. Ended up buying GGXX anyway but I couldn't find a way to change the resolution so I didn't really look into it that much.

Could you lob your config.txt up somewhere for the rest of us to have a look at?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Wing Commander, 'nough said.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I received each Crusader game for christmas in the 90s because my parents were awesome. Why won't EA let me buy them again?

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Platypus Farm posted:

I received each Crusader game for christmas in the 90s because my parents were awesome. Why won't EA let me buy them again?

EA hates money and fun.

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

drat Incubation: Battle Isle Phase Four is awesome. I rememberd it was pretty good but holy poo poo it's great and it's a shame there isn't more like it. It's definitely worth the :10bux: and you get the expansion plus a bunch of other games too: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/battle_isle_platinum

The demo worked fine on my 64bit Windows 7 machine in 95 compatibility mode, so try it out if you've never played it.

Also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TQkvlGrA0M

Elos fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 8, 2011

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
edit: beaten on the previous page, drat you GoG for crazy four day weekends.

Kings Bounty and Space Rangers 2 at $4.99 each. That's a pretty amazing price for those games.

Kind of wish they also had the Reboot version on their site (you can buy it standalone as a pack with SR1+2 in the UK) as that's the one I don't have.

edit: the only download of standalone Reboot is on Impulse's site, and apparently it does work on top of GoG's vanilla SR2.

With GoG's sale, the price for doing that is exactly the same as buying the complete pack on Impulse, so it's swings and roundabouts.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 9, 2011

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Apparently, GOG won't be announcing their next big publisher in their news section until they actually start putting up their games, if ever. Instead, they'll be announcing it via a press conference, which can be watched live on GOG.com. Info here.

They've given a single hint as to who the publisher is: they've stated that they considered revealing it on April Fools' Day, but everyone would have thought it was a joke. So it's the sort of thing that could realistically be mistaken for an April Fools' Day prank. EA?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 9, 2011

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

BiggerJ posted:

Apparently, GOG won't be announcing their next big publisher in their news section until they actually start putting up their games, if ever. Instead, they'll be announcing it via a press conference, which can be watched live on GOG.com. Info here.

They've given a single hint as to who the publisher is: they've stated that they considered revealing it on April Fools' Day, but everyone would have thought it was a joke. So it's the sort of thing that could realistically be mistaken for an April Fools' Day prank. EA?

If it is in fact Electronic Arts...then we will have won, brothers. Once the largest domino in the row is knocked down with the power of nostalgia, the rest shall fall after it.

Either way, I'm ecstatic to see more publishers are seeing that we want this sort of thing and that a service like this just works. I can't wait.

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
I'm thinking there's quite a few publishers out there that would surprise a lot of people. Lucas Arts, Blizzard, and Microsoft just to name a few off the top of my head.

And of course, the most surprising of all: Valve. :v:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sackmo posted:

I'm thinking there's quite a few publishers out there that would surprise a lot of people. Lucas Arts, Blizzard, and Microsoft just to name a few off the top of my head.

I'm sure the only people working at Lucasarts anymore are in the licensing department, so it's possible.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

LucasArts is the only one other than EA that would justify this kind of buildup, but EA still feels more likely since plenty of classic LucasArts games are available on other sites while EA's classics are nowhere to be found anywhere, so they'd be a bigger "get" and therefore worthy of announcing at a conference rather than on the site itself.

And yeah, I know that's a lot of mental gymnastics, but I'm hopeful dammit!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sackmo posted:

Blizzard and Microsoft would be the most unbelievable as they have their own online distribution and hate sharing. Valve would also make a good joke but pointless.

Honestly, even if they said they got EA on April 1st I would totally believe it. That's not something you joke about and we all remember what happened the last time GOG joked when they "shut down" their site to announce Atari. You don't joke about old games. Ever.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I haven't got any gog games in awhile, but if they bust out the EA/Origins/Bullfrog collection, I'm going to go broke.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

AxeManiac posted:

I haven't got any gog games in awhile, but if they bust out the EA/Origins/Bullfrog collection, I'm going to go broke.

I hadn't been buying much from them until the Ubisoft event kicked in, and then Funbox came out with both Realms of the Haunting and Guilty Gear in the same week. If the announcement winds up being EA I could easily see my collection going over 100 games pretty soon.

Also, it seems more likely when you remember that EA has recently been telling people to stop distributing Ultima IV after not giving a poo poo about it for years. If GoG knew about this before the beginning of April, that'd fit in pretty nicely since EA would want to actually put up the series for sale again.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I remain cautiously optimistic: EA's capacity for ignoring what customers want is far greater than GOG's capacity for being awesome.

Reading through the comments on the announcement at GOG.com:

quote:

It's Electronic Arts, isn't it? Might as well admit it, because I'd say everything points in that direction. EA got their fingers in just about every pie these days, except for the digital retro-gaming scene. Which of course makes no sense, since they have one of the largest backlogs of any company in the industry. I figure the only reason it has taken them this long to join, is all the legal matters and gargantuan amounts of red tape associated.

If it isn't EA now, then certainly they will be here some other time this year. Sooner rather than later. In which case my second guess for next week is Eidos. Which is massively fine too.

This idealistic fool is assuming that EA WANTS to be onboard with GOG and it's just legal matters that are stopping them.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 9, 2011

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I updated the OP with labels for MIA games (noted by :ninja:) that were available for sale but have been temporarily removed from the service such as Operation Flashpoint, Hostile Waters, Moto Racer 2, and Republic: The Revolution (did I miss any?). Each description also has a link to the official post on their forums as to why it was removed as well as the latest update on its situation.

Also started a Fallen Heroes section at the bottom to keep track of games we've lost, but shall never be forgotten (literally; if you bought them, you can still download them as many times as you want).

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Charles Martel posted:

(did I miss any?)
Obscure isn't on there anymore.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Blodskur posted:

Obscure isn't on there anymore.

I thought I forgot one. Fixed it. Thanks.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Charles Martel posted:

If it is in fact Electronic Arts...then we will have won, brothers. Once the largest domino in the row is knocked down with the power of nostalgia, the rest shall fall after it.

Either way, I'm ecstatic to see more publishers are seeing that we want this sort of thing and that a service like this just works. I can't wait.

*crosses fingers for EA*

Ultima VII and System Shock 2 :-D Although I actually already own them (Ultima is on floppy) I would kill for a GoG version. Ultima runs fine with exult but was a pain to install on Win7 and SS2 keeps crashing.

I guess we will wait and see...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
EA owns Alpha Centauri. They could just announce that that will be the only game they'll have on GOG and I'd be happy. But Bullfrog stuff would be great.