Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
i got into columbia because ??? and getting to just below median was a herculean effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

evilweasel posted:

You're fine, at HLS you don't need to be king grizzly.

well, I also asked because I vaguely recalled red bean juice mentioning something about trouble finding employment, but I may be remembering wrong.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I know there are Harvard students graduating with unemployment, but without grades, what makes someone end up at the bottom of their class?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

I know there are Harvard students graduating with unemployment, but without grades, what makes someone end up at the bottom of their class?

Lots of low passes.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

yeah, the "no grades" thing is sort of a misnomer. any firm that hires a lot of HLS grads know how to convert the HLS system into more conventional grading. only YLS 1L legitimately has no grades.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Red Bean Juice posted:

I just want to add that even if you end up lucky and get into a school beyond your credentials (like me), the effect will be roughly analogous to signing up for an underground rugby league populated entirely by grizzly bears

Anyway, here's some dumb comics.

why did no one quote this.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Baruch Obamawitz and/or resident thread patent examiner guy

Did you ever look into the work at home and live overseas option? Did you need to tote your laptpop around and work at the consulate or something?

Also, could you please post in this topic when the USPTO is hiring again?

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

scribe jones posted:

why did no one quote this.

These comics always remind me that I should eventually buy an avatar.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

entris posted:

A few caveats:
If you are fluent in another language, or have actual ties to another country, that may open a door for you, but you'll still be competing against some graduates from better schools who have the same language/cultural credentials.

Also, there's no such things "international law" because that's like going to med school and saying you want to practice "medicine." It's too broad and it's a clear indication that you don't know what you're talking about.

I know exactly two lawyers who practice something like international law, and they both got into it the same way - by representing local small businesses which became medium size businesses over the years and began importing products or parts from overseas. There were lots of years of practicing normal Boringlaw before they went international. You typically don't get hired as a new grad to jet off to the pacific rim and handle deals.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Solomon Grundy posted:

You typically don't get hired as a new grad to jet off to the pacific rim and handle deals.
I guarantee that when Four Seat reads this, he's immediately thinking like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

you go to HLS, right? I feel like I'm in a comparable situation with regard to getting in to HLS beyond my credentials. I'm guessing my worries are well founded? any elaboration would be helpful. I don't want to be eaten alive by grizzly bears

To be fair, I think the public interest side has it worse. My one 3L friend who worked at the FTC last summer and seems pretty on top of things still doesn't have a job even now. I'm pretty afraid of ending up in the same boat, since I got killed at EIP (no callbacks, even from my safeties) and will be doing state government my 2L summer.

As for what happened at EIP, it's hard to say because--stop me if you've heard this before--I did everything I was supposed to. OCS podcasts, OCS-appointed headhunters, job search books, reading the latest news on each employer the morning of, that sort of thing. I can only speculate that employers were driven off by a confluence of A) straight P's, and B) my resume "looking like an academic's" (something I was told in the Quinn Emanuel hospitality suite), and C) my face being dumb.

But then, I have a 1L friend who actually has pretty good grades and didn't have his summer lined up until literally last week (and needless to say, it's no firm job), so consider that as well.

I mean, don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people here doing amazing things, but I get the feeling they're the type who would be leading the free world, HLS or no HLS. So where does that leave the rest of us? Well, the HLS brand is a weighty one. My wild speculation is it carries with it two main presumptions--that you're smart, and that you're a pompous East-Coast elitist rear end in a top hat. So when an employer sees your transcript and decides that maybe you're not actually that smart, what does that leave you with?

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

yeah, the "no grades" thing is sort of a misnomer. any firm that hires a lot of HLS grads know how to convert the HLS system into more conventional grading. only YLS 1L legitimately has no grades.

The P/H dichotomy (because that's what it is) literally maps perfectly onto the B+/A- dichotomy from undergrad

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Four Seat posted:

I also need help choosing a law school. Yes, I know going to law school is a horrible decision, but it's one I've already made. My choices are:

AU Washington College of Law (Cost of Attendance $67,700 a year - no scholarship
Hofstra Law School (CoA $65,700 - $40k a year scholarship as long as I stay in the top 40%)
New England Law School (CoA $60,864 - $40k a year scholarship as long as I stay in the top 30%)
Albany Law School (CoA $60,320 - $30k a year scholarship as long as I stay in the top 50%)

I also applied to Seton Hall, but haven't heard back. After finding out they had been investigated by the FBI for falsifying numbers, I'm not too keen on them.

My UGPA was 3.47 and my LSAT was 162. I want to go into international law or business law. AU is usually ranked in the top five for international law programs, but not getting any scholarships makes them very expensive. Working for a multinational entity is my end goal, but I think I would also be happy working for a law firm. The government and non-profits don't hold too much appeal. I chose schools on the East Coast because I'm interested in Eastern Europe and Russia and most of the West Coast schools (like UW) specialize on the Pacific Rim.

I've been told that it's common for students to change what area of law they want to concentrate on, but given that I was an international business major for my undergrad, I am pretty sure I want to stay international. Is AU worth the quarter of a million in debt? If not, is Hofstra's better ranking worth giving up New England's better international options?

one page before you posted, I posted a condensed version of this as a troll

that is how bad your idea is

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

nm posted:

Starting a fulltime, paid job tommorow.
First since I graduated in 2009 from a T20 law school.
Don't go to law school.
Don't go into criminal defense.

Congrats.

Does anyone have any experience setting up business email. Is the Yahoo domain name and business email service ok?

Kinuven
Dec 9, 2004

I'm getting my men.
I know I'm quoted on the first page as rethinking the whole law school thing, which is totally fair as I haven't posted in this thread in a few years, but I ended up going to GW Law. I'm just about to finish my 2L year, and I wanted to comment on the job situation and ask a question.

Jobs: I have a couple friends with biglaw summer jobs, a larger number of friends going to government, a few friends who are doing nonprofit/small firm things, and a number of friends who are 3Ls and literally have no job. It's not all roses, but it's not THAT bad, and I'm not even in the T14.

One thing that I've done is find a (relatively) narrow niche and pursue that; I did 2 small-firm internships last summer, some pro bono volunteering and a clinic this year, all of which are in my field. More importantly, I've gone to a lot of networking events in that field, met a lot of ALJs, private & gov't attorneys that appreciate my level of interest in their field.

Almost all of what I've been able to do has been through networking. I don't think I can overstate the importance of networking. If you are socially retarded, nobody is going to want to work with you and you won't get a job. Even if you're an introvert like me, you have to suck it up, smile at people, be interested in what they have to say, and be ready to tell them about yourself. I'm probably in the bottom half of my class, but I got a federal gov't offer for this summer because I accumulated a lot of specialized experience after 1L year, knew what I was talking about at my interview, and was a sociable person who introduced myself to people.

I still tell people not to go to law school and cite everything from the OP at them, but if you're going to go to law school anyway, you need to have some strategy for positioning yourself to start a career. You can't just do classes and OCI, unless you're at the top of your 1L class.

My question for people is this: Does anyone have experience with security clearances for summer legal internships? I'm concerned because I turned in some fingerprint cards and a basic form a couple weeks ago, but I've heard stories about it taking forever in some cases. My concern stems from the fact that despite getting a summer job I really want, my clearance might not go through in time. I can't take another job, because I've already accepted the gov't one, and so I'm a little stuck. Any suggestions?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

First semester of 1L. Second semester is on the H/P/LP scale that you guys aped from us, though we don't have any hidden curves or grade point averages. :colbert:

Kinuven
Dec 9, 2004

I'm getting my men.

Four Seat posted:

I've been told that it's common for students to change what area of law they want to concentrate on, but given that I was an international business major for my undergrad, I am pretty sure I want to stay international. Is AU worth the quarter of a million in debt? If not, is Hofstra's better ranking worth giving up New England's better international options?

You can look to everyone else to tell you how Int'l Law is not a real field, just like there aren't any jobs for being a "Constitutional Lawyer." But have you considered trying to get a job at a multinational organization in DC or NY? You have a decent undergraduate GPA, and while you're working you can study for, and retake the LSAT. You could also probably get into a part-time program at a school better than any of those you listed.

You're also probably going to be a lot happier if you get into a MA program for some "international" field than going to Law School. But if you're really set on law, at least get some work experience while you try to get into a better school--the only people I know who are actually doing "international" stuff (and there are only a couple) are people who had experience doing that kind of work before they came to law school.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

euphronius posted:

Does anyone have any experience setting up business email. Is the Yahoo domain name and business email service ok?
Use google apps.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Use google apps.

Thanks. That is a pretty good service.

PS

Don't go to law school.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 11, 2011

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Kinuven posted:

My concern stems from the fact that despite getting a summer job I really want, my clearance might not go through in time.

What level of security clearance do you need?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

i81icu812 posted:

Baruch Obamawitz and/or resident thread patent examiner guy

Did you ever look into the work at home and live overseas option? Did you need to tote your laptpop around and work at the consulate or something?

Also, could you please post in this topic when the USPTO is hiring again?

Yes, I did ask, and they don't take the question seriously. There is at least one guy who lives in Canada and rents and office in America and drives across the border every morning.

I don't think they've gotten rid of the 50-mile agreement yet, so you still have to come in twice a month if you're living outside 50 miles from the campus, I think.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Kinuven posted:

I turned in some fingerprint cards and a basic form a couple weeks ago...

Just out of curiosity, where did you go to get your fingerprints taken? I'm in DC and I need to have some fingerprint cards filled out.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HiddenReplaced posted:

Just out of curiosity, where did you go to get your fingerprints taken? I'm in DC and I need to have some fingerprint cards filled out.

I went down to Judiciary Square, the police have an office there that does fingerprinting. I can't find anything about it on their website, however.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

TheMadMilkman posted:

What level of security clearance do you need?

The "I knew I shouldn't have smoked weed in college" level is reserved for working for the FBI and stuff like that. The "I have never murdered a kitty cat and I'm sane" level is used for just about all other federal jobs.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Red Bean Juice posted:

To be fair, I think the public interest side has it worse. My one 3L friend who worked at the FTC last summer and seems pretty on top of things still doesn't have a job even now. I'm pretty afraid of ending up in the same boat, since I got killed at EIP (no callbacks, even from my safeties) and will be doing state government my 2L summer.

As for what happened at EIP, it's hard to say because--stop me if you've heard this before--I did everything I was supposed to. OCS podcasts, OCS-appointed headhunters, job search books, reading the latest news on each employer the morning of, that sort of thing. I can only speculate that employers were driven off by a confluence of A) straight P's, and B) my resume "looking like an academic's" (something I was told in the Quinn Emanuel hospitality suite), and C) my face being dumb.

But then, I have a 1L friend who actually has pretty good grades and didn't have his summer lined up until literally last week (and needless to say, it's no firm job), so consider that as well.

I mean, don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people here doing amazing things, but I get the feeling they're the type who would be leading the free world, HLS or no HLS. So where does that leave the rest of us? Well, the HLS brand is a weighty one. My wild speculation is it carries with it two main presumptions--that you're smart, and that you're a pompous East-Coast elitist rear end in a top hat. So when an employer sees your transcript and decides that maybe you're not actually that smart, what does that leave you with?

The P/H dichotomy (because that's what it is) literally maps perfectly onto the B+/A- dichotomy from undergrad

Thanks for the advice. I'm not that smart and I'm not a pompous East Coast elitist rear end in a top hat, so it sounds like we're in about the same boat. It sounds like you did everything right and they just didn't like your resume (I also have a bit of a weird resume), but would you have any suggestions if you had to do it over? Anything you would have done differently?

Secondly, I'm headed to the ASW this weekend, is there anything you'd recommend specifically checking out?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

entris posted:

I went down to Judiciary Square, the police have an office there that does fingerprinting. I can't find anything about it on their website, however.

Could tell me specifically where you went? I just called a few numbers and got the run around.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HiddenReplaced posted:

Could tell me specifically where you went? I just called a few numbers and got the run around.

I went to:
Henry J. Daly Building
MPDC Headquarters
300 Indiana Avenue, NW, Room 3055
Washington, DC 20001
(202) 727-4245

Try calling that number and telling them you need a fingerprint card. They should be able to connect you.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

entris posted:

I went to:
Henry J. Daly Building
MPDC Headquarters
300 Indiana Avenue, NW, Room 3055
Washington, DC 20001
(202) 727-4245

Try calling that number and telling them you need a fingerprint card. They should be able to connect you.

Thanks!

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1
Ugh, I got no grant aid from Columbia, and I am starting to re-think this whole decision to go to law school. I guess I'm not I'm worth a dime in need or merit-based aid and they think I should be in a quarter million dollars of debt. :argh:

On the upside, I'm pretty sure I want to do patent prosecution since I met with one of the patent counsel in the biotech company I work for, and it sounds awesome. The hours aren't as bad as litigation, and you get to really understand the science.

She said the legal market is terrible, the the market for patent attorneys with graduate degrees in science and engineering degrees is still pretty good (although certainly not as good as before).

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'm not that smart and I'm not a pompous East Coast elitist rear end in a top hat, so it sounds like we're in about the same boat. It sounds like you did everything right and they just didn't like your resume (I also have a bit of a weird resume), but would you have any suggestions if you had to do it over? Anything you would have done differently?

Secondly, I'm headed to the ASW this weekend, is there anything you'd recommend specifically checking out?

As to your first question, the big thing would probably be to lowball your EIP bids. Take more safeties than you think you need, use the add/drop period if necessary, don't worry too hard about the V10 or even the V50.

Another thing is interview practice--I had two formal mocks over the summer, random networking, and some practice in front of the mirror, and while I think all my interviews went well in the sense that they were fairly cordial and I was never caught unprepared, I realize that OCI interviewers are always cordial regardless of whether they're actually interested.

Regarding your second question, I'm actually of the opinion that you'll have time to familiarize yourself with hangouts around campus (and most of them aren't that amazing.) For my ASW, I went to Wonder Bar in Allston with some friends from town. That's far enough out that girls will be impressed by the HLS name.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Colorblind Pilot posted:

Ugh, I got no grant aid from Columbia, and I am starting to re-think this whole decision to go to law school. I guess I'm not I'm worth a dime in need or merit-based aid and they think I should be in a quarter million dollars of debt. :argh:

On the upside, I'm pretty sure I want to do patent prosecution since I met with one of the patent counsel in the biotech company I work for, and it sounds awesome. The hours aren't as bad as litigation, and you get to really understand the science.

She said the legal market is terrible, the the market for patent attorneys with graduate degrees in science and engineering degrees is still pretty good (although certainly not as good as before).
Are you aware that you do not need to go to law school to do patent prosecution?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I have been working a lot lately but I just skimmed this thread and felt the need to jump in and tell Four Seats that he is a loving moron as well and literally one of the dumbest people I know went to Seton Hall and the best he could do after finishing near the top of their class was getting a clerical job at an insurance litigation firm.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006
To the guy even considering Seton Hall:

There are three law schools in New Jersey - the two Rutgers schools and Seton Hall. All three of them are roughly equally terrible. You will not get a job graduating from any of them. You are retarded to consider going to any of the three.

However, Seton Hall is roughly twice as expensive as either Rutgers school, meaning that for an equally worthless degree, you will spend twice as much money. That makes you twice as retarded as the average student considering Rutgers.

Seriously - Seton Hall is 22 grand a semester, Rutgers-Camden in-state tuition is 21 grand a YEAR. Rutgers is ranked #84, Seton Hall is #61. You will be equally unemployed with a degree from either, but in twice as much debt at Seton Hall. If you are not in-state, why are you even considering a NJ school? Newark is a shithole and there are terrible law schools in far better places to live that will graduate you with less debt and an equally terrible law degree.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

NJ Deac posted:

To the guy even considering Seton Hall:

There are three law schools in New Jersey - the two Rutgers schools and Seton Hall. All three of them are roughly equally terrible. You will not get a job graduating from any of them. You are retarded to consider going to any of the three.

However, Seton Hall is roughly twice as expensive as either Rutgers school, meaning that for an equally worthless degree, you will spend twice as much money. That makes you twice as retarded as the average student considering Rutgers.

Seriously - Seton Hall is 22 grand a semester, Rutgers-Camden in-state tuition is 21 grand a YEAR. Rutgers is ranked #84, Seton Hall is #61. You will be equally unemployed with a degree from either, but in twice as much debt at Seton Hall. If you are not in-state, why are you even considering a NJ school? Newark is a shithole and there are terrible law schools in far better places to live that will graduate you with less debt and an equally terrible law degree.

Anyone considering Seton Hall should be required to read the Big Debt Small Law Archive . Consider the passion and venom this grad used to generate such hilarious posts before taking out those Seton Hall loans.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
For all of you lawgoons in the know about such things, anyone care to share any incites about Moot Court versus Journal or Mock Trial?

Do these activities really make a difference come job search time or is it simply important just to be on one of them? Also, if participating on one of these teams would prevent participation in various clinics, which would you choose?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Journal varies from school to school but at Columbia it's basically standard: I assume any employer who knew Columbia and noticed you weren't on one would assume you were sort of a slacker. A moot court is required, though many people do the default one that isn't a real moot court.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

beefnchedda posted:

For all of you lawgoons in the know about such things, anyone care to share any incites about Moot Court versus Journal or Mock Trial?

Do these activities really make a difference come job search time or is it simply important just to be on one of them? Also, if participating on one of these teams would prevent participation in various clinics, which would you choose?

I can't speak to the effect they have, but in terms of time commitment, the Memento rule applies: they are loving liars and do not trust them. Take whatever weekly commitment they claim to expect and double, if not triple, it.

Oral arguments on Thursday. Seriously considering winging it and just screaming "Citizens United, bitches! Everything is speech! We win, suck my balls!"

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

beefnchedda posted:

http://notabug.com/kozinski/mootcourt

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

beefnchedda posted:

Conventional wisdom is that you choose the activity based on what your target job is. Mock trial = litigation, criminal prosecution/defense; Moot Court = appellate work; journals = clerkship. I don't know that it actually matters all that much, in terms of landing a job. The learned skills could be valuable regardless. I did Law Review, worked for a state supreme court justice, then went on to do policy/legislative work. So the research and writing skills were certainly beneficial.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

beefnchedda posted:

If it is the real journal (law review), that is the best resume fodder for any job.
If it is a specialized journal there is a nuance to it and it depend on your goals, the journal, the school and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

beefnchedda posted:

The name journal > all, in my experience.

Anything is basically just showing that you aren't lazy.

I was lazy.