Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

AKP posted:

Since I can connect the S4 to my iMac via USB, can I just plug in normal headphones through my mac and still hear what I'm doing while mixing?

You could just buy a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter for $0.23 [or $3 at your local radio shack] but that sounds far less complicated than your solution ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

AKP posted:

Quick question:

I'm purchasing the Traktor S4 next week, however I only have enough to cover the S4 + Warranty - I won't be able to purchase studio headphones for another two weeks. Since I can connect the S4 to my iMac via USB, can I just plug in normal headphones through my mac and still hear what I'm doing while mixing? Stupid question, but I'd like an answer. Thanks!

You can just use a 1/4inch to 1/8th inch adapter and use your headphones directly into the S4. Should work like a charm.

AKP
Oct 17, 2007

by XyloJW
hewh

AKP fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 24, 2014

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

AKP posted:

Quick question:

I'm purchasing the Traktor S4 next week, however I only have enough to cover the S4 + Warranty - I won't be able to purchase studio headphones for another two weeks. Since I can connect the S4 to my iMac via USB, can I just plug in normal headphones through my mac and still hear what I'm doing while mixing? Stupid question, but I'd like an answer. Thanks!

The S4 has a 1/4" (large) headphone jack on the front. Go to TheSource or something and buy a 1/4" to 1/8" (small, iPod-size) adaptor for like ten bucks if that; you can now plug your earbuds right into the S4's 'PHONES' output. Enjoy spinning with it, it's a really fun piece of gear!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

More MusikMesse stuff:
ITCH 2 preview, sample player, UI changes, still no built-in effects:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdlgcc4A2Jc

Novation Twitch: compact ITCH controller with no wheels $500
http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/04/05/novation-twitch-brand-new-controller-with-a-twist/

Pioneer DJM-T1, looks like a Rane 57SL competitor, 2-deck scratch live control, $2000
http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/04/06/pioneer-djm-t1-brand-new-traktor-mixer/

also comedy Numark Mixdeck Quad: 4-channel all in one [seriously, look at the picture] box
http://www.skratchworx.com/news3/comments.php?id=1687

quote:

MIXDECK QUAD comes complete with Traktor LE DJ software in Europe and Asia, while North and South American DJs will receive Virtual DJ software in the box.
:jiggled:

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
Should I throw my SL1 on eBay to snatch up the Rane SL 2 or is it not worth it? Slower USB 1.1 and supposedly shitter sound quality hasn't really been a problem with the SL1 but would the SL2 be that much bigger of an upgrade?

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

THAT drat DOG posted:

Should I throw my SL1 on eBay to snatch up the Rane SL 2 or is it not worth it? Slower USB 1.1 and supposedly shitter sound quality hasn't really been a problem with the SL1 but would the SL2 be that much bigger of an upgrade?

Honestly, I'd hold out for an SL3 or SL4 if you're thinking of upgrading. The SL2 doesn't look like it adds a lot to the SL1, it seems like more of a sidegrade.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

chrix posted:

Honestly, I'd hold out for an SL3 or SL4 if you're thinking of upgrading. The SL2 doesn't look like it adds a lot to the SL1, it seems like more of a sidegrade.

Yeah SL3/4 is too expensive and I don't really need the extra features, two decks is perfect and if I need to add another deck I just add a CDJ and use that as a sampler/extra deck. Just hope they don't stop supporting the SL1 since they said on their page it's being discontinued.

I've been watching videos around the net of people like Porter Robinson using S4's exclusively, and watching Ean Golden's tutorial videos make me just want to scrap the traditional setup and just buy an S4. It's a pain carrying all that crap around and having to deal upgrades.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

THAT drat DOG posted:

Yeah SL3/4 is too expensive and I don't really need the extra features, two decks is perfect and if I need to add another deck I just add a CDJ and use that as a sampler/extra deck. Just hope they don't stop supporting the SL1 since they said on their page it's being discontinued.

Rane has fantastic customer support and wouldn't expect a drop in support for the SL1 for a while. Most Serato DJs I know have and use one regularly.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki
And now the webpage is up:

http://stantondj.com/stanton-controllers-systems/scs4dj.html

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
holy poo poo, i'm actually starting to see how cool this is. it would be interesting to see if someone like pioneer would catch on to the laptopless controller idea.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Professorbx posted:

And now the webpage is up:

http://stantondj.com/stanton-controllers-systems/scs4dj.html

This is a thing of beauty, and something to be taken seriously. This is to a T exactly what I have been wanting someone to make. Is there a price yet? If i get a chance to test one out and like it, and feel that its gridding software is capable, this will easily replace carrying my laptop/stand/controller/soundcard/cables to work 5x a week.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Old Man Pants posted:

This is a thing of beauty, and something to be taken seriously. This is to a T exactly what I have been wanting someone to make. Is there a price yet? If i get a chance to test one out and like it, and feel that its gridding software is capable, this will easily replace carrying my laptop/stand/controller/soundcard/cables to work 5x a week.

It should street at about $499, so not a bank breaker. The gridding is sick. Plug in your drive and it starts sucking in data right away. Unlike some software, it stores your waveforms/adjustments in a different file, so your tags don't get obliterated. Wait for your songs to be gridded and you are good to go. I've been a Traktor user for years, and when I set up Traktor and SCS.4DJ side by side, the grids usually match, and in the cases that they don't the SCS.4 has been winning a good portion of the time. What I REALLY love about it is that the grid is not strictly beholden to BPM at all times (a little Ableton-like in that way), so if you have a bad drummer, it can compensate a bit-just hit sync again and it will re-lock.

One of the "easter eggs" of the unit really is the Slice effect. Once I have a full production unit (my unit has an old silk screen revision), I will be doing some videos of it in action. Essentially it is a combo sampler/looper/beat breaker. You choose your loop size with one knob, and then turn the other for the amount of "chaos". One side gives you a perfectly sync'd loop that never changes, the other sounds like a Richard Devine set (which is a good thing!!!!!!), and you can get everything in-between. I use it to do long, rolling mashups instead of the loop buttons as I can remix within the loop, and the other thing I do is use it as a virtual 3rd deck-I turn on a loop, hit stop on the song while the loop rides, hit play and sync on the new song, break the loop to 1/16th beat, release slice, boom, new song, perfectly in sync with the playing song. It is really cool.

Professorbx fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 7, 2011

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

THAT drat DOG posted:

sl2 really isnt an upgrade at all, sure its 24 bit but cds are only 16, and sure the phono preamps are nicer, but you dont ever even hear them because youre using your computer anyway. usb 2.0 isnt even faster because theres not even enough bandwidth being used on the original to hit the maximum.

who knows?

i do want an sl3 or maybe even 4 if im feelin crazy!

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I want to upgrade my equipment (lovely BCD3000) to some a sub-$1000 USB controller this summer. I'd prefer that it have a built in sound card. What are my best options? The S4? What about the VCI-300?

Tomahawk fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 7, 2011

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
fuckin numark ns7 man, that poo poo is a beast

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

LouietheCuban posted:

fuckin numark ns7 man, that poo poo is a beast

It's like $1500 and this is just a hobby. :(

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
get it used! or vci300.

AKP
Oct 17, 2007

by XyloJW
moao

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The upgrade e-mail was for people that bought the S4 before Traktor Pro 2 came out (it came with Traktor Pro S4). If yours came with Pro S4, the logo in the upper left should say Traktor Pro S4. If yours came with Traktor Pro 2, the logo in the upper left should say Traktor Pro (and it just says Traktor in the title bar). Are you sure that's not what you have? Go to the help menu and see if there are options for "About Traktor 2..." and "Visit Traktor 2 on the web"

Tomahawk: S4!

AKP
Oct 17, 2007

by XyloJW
no

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
So after playing around in guitar center and doing some reading, I think I've decided to my next purchase is going to be an NS7. drat that thing is so fun and awesome, I don't think I could use any other controller. I have a few questions about Serato Itch though. Can you label cue points in Serato Itch like you can in Traktor? Ideally I'd like to be able to label cue point 3 something like "breakdown" and 4 "drop" and things of that nature. Also, I just got an LPD8, I know Serato Itch is a pretty closed software and doesn't really accept other controllers, but is there any possibility of mapping some of the knobs and pads to the LPD8 to trigger certain effects or the like?

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

The Dark Wind posted:

So after playing around in guitar center and doing some reading, I think I've decided to my next purchase is going to be an NS7. drat that thing is so fun and awesome, I don't think I could use any other controller. I have a few questions about Serato Itch though. Can you label cue points in Serato Itch like you can in Traktor? Ideally I'd like to be able to label cue point 3 something like "breakdown" and 4 "drop" and things of that nature. Also, I just got an LPD8, I know Serato Itch is a pretty closed software and doesn't really accept other controllers, but is there any possibility of mapping some of the knobs and pads to the LPD8 to trigger certain effects or the like?

Nope. Sadly Itch is completely closed off in that way.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
For those of you into techno; Rolando, the one from Detroit is live on our radio show right now.

Tune in if you like: https://www.xt3radio.nl/player

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
It looks like I'll be doing my first official gig next Saturday opening up for another DJ at a house party. I was at their place yesterday, they have nice lighting effects and a sound system. I'm gonna be bringing my sound card, Numark Mixtrack, and my laptop. Question is, how does one usually hook up a laptop to a house mixer? Do I bring my RCA cables and just hook em up in the back of the mixer? Also any other random advice and tips or whatever would be super appreciated.

Edit: Also, if anybody has advice for mixing drum and bass and dubstep in the same advice, that'd be cool too. I'm guessing just switch in drops after breakdowns of another, although I feel like that could get kinda messy.

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 10, 2011

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

The Dark Wind posted:

Edit: Also, if anybody has advice for mixing drum and bass and dubstep in the same advice, that'd be cool too. I'm guessing just switch in drops after breakdowns of another, although I feel like that could get kinda messy.

Check out tempo changing tracks like Ready to Rage (140->180)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83vZawt-M1w

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

The Dark Wind posted:

It looks like I'll be doing my first official gig next Saturday opening up for another DJ at a house party. I was at their place yesterday, they have nice lighting effects and a sound system. I'm gonna be bringing my sound card, Numark Mixtrack, and my laptop. Question is, how does one usually hook up a laptop to a house mixer? Do I bring my RCA cables and just hook em up in the back of the mixer? Also any other random advice and tips or whatever would be super appreciated.

Yep, just plug your RCAs into one of the channel inputs and you should be good to go.

[/quote]

Transition tracks (as mentioned above) work the best. There are a lot of dubstep/drumstep/DnB hybrid tracks coming out that would work well for you.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've seen DJs mix between dubstep and D&B by using a track that's 1/2 the BPM of the D&B.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

I've double-timed it from downtempo/dub into dnb, the principle would be the same for dubstep

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Hey! Alright, I finally got a Dj friend to chat with and what not. Turns out he's a family friend! Who knew?

Anyway, he said if I'm just starting out I should stick to top 40s if I want to get serious. So Now I feel silly for buying all these cool house cds of beat port :v:

I also bought some SONY mdr-v700 from amazon! This is an expensive hobby! God drat, I better start doing something to earn all this money back.

I got a question for any of you top 40 guys, where can I check out what the top 40 are? Also, where can I also buy the songs. I tired djcity, but I gotta be a real dj to use the digital record pool :shobon:

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Anyway, he said if I'm just starting out I should stick to top 40s if I want to get serious. So Now I feel silly for buying all these cool house cds of beat port :v:

What kind of bullshit advice is that? Here's a better question: what do YOU want to play? What music do you like? Play what you want to hear, not what some dude told you that you have to play to "get serious"

quote:

I also bought some SONY mdr-v700 from amazon! This is an expensive hobby! God drat, I better start doing something to earn all this money back.

Don't count on it. Especially when you start buying lots of music. At least investing in a good pair of headphones has other value outside of DJing

quote:

I got a question for any of you top 40 guys, where can I check out what the top 40 are? Also, where can I also buy the songs. I tired djcity, but I gotta be a real dj to use the digital record pool :shobon:

Amazon and iTunes are a good starting point. Most DJ stores don't carry much major label content (e.g. Ke$ha and the like) so you have to go for more mainstream sources.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Not his words, I shoulda clarified on that one. I do play what I want! I went through my "catalog" and realized I have poo poo for music! Not that it's bad music (too me), but I doubt I can get a party going off alot of random indie rock and random trance/house/electro :v:

I do check out iTunes now and then. Buying a Britney Spears album is something I never thought I'd do, but I love it.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Expect to lose all your money to DJ'ing. I once swore that investing in Traktor Scratch meant saving money because I don't have to buy real vinyl anymore. Three years later I have almost doubled the number of vinyls I started out with when I made the decision that it was too drat expensive to keep buying real vinyl.

:suicide:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Trust me in saying, I've spent way too much already. It's gonna catch up to my tattoo spending!

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Trust me, that what you think is too much now, will be your basic spending within a year. :v:

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Sjoewe posted:

Trust me, that what you think is too much now, will be your basic spending within a year. :v:

Adding to Sjoewe, fifteen years ago I would have been a poster child for BFC with how I was charging up at least $100 a week, for about three years, plus I charged some gear (the big one was $2000 for an EMU e6400 Ultra sampler, which I sold two years ago for $400...) and a couple vacations on credit cards. Then after I reigned in that habit, I was getting a lot of exclusives from drum'n'bass producers, and cutting dubplates for about two years, so that was another $1500 I spent on music, at $30 to $40 per plate, two songs per plate.

The past two weeks I have sold off about 600 records at around $1 a record, most of it promo copies of stuff that I was usually buying at $10 to $12 originally. Still have a good size collection though:

Also, I have no credit card debt nowadays, just a mortgage, car loan and student loan.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

SUBFRIES posted:

Adding to Sjoewe.. :words:

:hf:

I keep it down by sticking to (rare) vinyl only releases for my 'treasure chest'.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Some day I need to do a serious purge, but for now I'm keeping my collection intact. Somewhere in the range of 1500-2000 records

Crappy cameraphone pic:

Yes it's all put away and somewhat organized now, this pic was taken when I had pulled all my classic prog for a party I was playing

Blueballs
Jul 15, 2003
Up until now I have only been a dj at house parties but luckily somebody at a party heard me and asked me to do a special event night at a bar/lounge near Atlanta. I use a Hercules RMX dj console with virtual DJ and I have my own PA system. I am going to send the owner an email asking them what kind of setup they have inside and all that but are there any specific questions I should ask that you guys can think of?

The event is a fetish/bdsm party in case anybody is wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Blueballs posted:

Up until now I have only been a dj at house parties but luckily somebody at a party heard me and asked me to do a special event night at a bar/lounge near Atlanta. I use a Hercules RMX dj console with virtual DJ and I have my own PA system. I am going to send the owner an email asking them what kind of setup they have inside and all that but are there any specific questions I should ask that you guys can think of?

The event is a fetish/bdsm party in case anybody is wondering.

Whats the date?