Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

And Starlancer, that would be nice

EDIT: And Chip's Challenge, which to be honest would make all the blueballing worth it

And Rise of Nations and Age of Empires and...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

And Starlancer, that would be nice

EDIT: And Chip's Challenge, which to be honest would make all the blueballing worth it

Hell I'd still buy the entire Microsoft Entertainment Pack for $5. Especially if it had 64bit support.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
So guys, what's going on in this threa....HOLY poo poo ALONE IN THE DARK TRILOGY!!

...wait a second. 295MB? Can someone confirm if these are the CD-ROM versions with the Redbook audio and the actual speech when you read books and not the floppy versions? Just want to make sure.

Also after reading the summary, this bit is good enough for me:

GOG posted:

But that's not all! At the very end, spotlight was on your favourite French Monk, who had some news regarding new publishers coming to the site. Microsoft, Electronic Arts, LucasArts, Take2 and SquareEnix - one of those publishers is already signed, while two more from the list are almost on board! Which and when is coming? Well, you'll have to wait a bit for that :)

We may not have them yet, but they'll cave eventually. Oh yes they will. :pervert:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Charles Martel posted:

...wait a second. 295MB?

You do know that standard floppies have 1.4 MB each, right? Because 300 MB would fit in nearly 200 floppies.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The recorded conference is up. Witcher 2 stuff starts about 25 minutes in, GOG stuff about an hour in.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Furret Basket posted:

Hell I'd still buy the entire Microsoft Entertainment Pack for $5. Especially if it had 64bit support.
You can get a version of Skifree that works on 64-bit Windows from the author's home page.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Furret Basket posted:

Dr. Black Jack taught me how to count cards. :downs:
I also spent way too much time playing JezzBall and Rodent's Revenge.

I only had the 'Best of' pack though. :smith:

Oh sweet, modern Jezzbal http://gametop.com/download-free-games/jezzball/. I know that the guy who made SkiFree made a version for modern computers as well. http://ski.ihoc.net/

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

New Atari games, one new publisher, Alone in the Dark tril, Witcher 1 getting the GOG model... and some mild bitching about people who might or might not say words the same way as you.

Not terrible, but not up to the dang hype.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Kins posted:

You can get a version of Skifree that works on 64-bit Windows from the author's home page.

I wish I could get a version of Castle of the Winds that worked in 64-bit, though :argh:.

Stupid lack of backwards compatibility for 16-bit programs. Doesn't Microsoft realize some of us exclusively play 20 year old games?

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
The one they have on already is probably still LA, and I wouldn't be too surprised if the other two were 2K and SE Eidos. Microsoft and EA both have their own distribution networks already.

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 14, 2011

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
Yes the AITD games have the speech packs etc and due to their size id say they are more than likely the CD rom versions.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I would jump with joy if it is SE and we get thief 1 and 2.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

So since I apparently reside under a rock and have never played Alone in the Dark, does anyone have any tips or advice for me before I start on the first in the series?

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!

Faerie Fortune posted:

So since I apparently reside under a rock and have never played Alone in the Dark, does anyone have any tips or advice for me before I start on the first in the series?

There is a very good chance that on your first playthrough you will get yourself stuck and will be unable to finish the game.
(you will definitely want to use a guide)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Square would bring Thief and Legacy of Kain. That would own.

Speaking of Fury3, I'm surprised they haven't added Terminal Velocity yet
I apologise! I completely forgot that's where Eidos ended up.

Welp I win no matter who gets signed/revealed, ha.

edit: maybe they didn't mean to be dicks for this conference but discovered the publisher didn't want to be identified yet or some other legal shenanigans. I know they're obtuse and annoying, but even so.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 14, 2011

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
I wonder if there's any chance that red mystery box is Shadow Warrior? It was published by GT, which is now Atari. Though, the only hint that sounds to me like it fits is "fear your past" (Lo Wang used to work for Zilla, then left, so Zilla sends monsters after him) and that's kinda shaky, and I don't remember what the "fear your past" hint graphic even looked like. I'm probably way off.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

teethgrinder posted:

Square-Enix is the only one I'd be disappointed by.

Microsoft owns Fury3 :dance:

The sound your ship makes when you hit the turbo/boost is still ingrained in my memory, and is triggered whenever I think of Fury3, like I did when I saw you mentioned it. I friggin' love that game, even *more* than Terminal Velocity (way cooler ship in Fury3). God that takes me back.

It'll be interesting to see what they get out of Microsoft. They have Fury3, Hellbender, Monster Truck Madness, Midtown Madness, Age of Empires, and quite a few others under their belt.

It'll also be quite interesting to see how Gog manages to get them running on a modern system as quite a few of those games were during the Direct X 3-6 days when it.. well sucked a ton.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Bats posted:

The sound your ship makes when you hit the turbo/boost is still ingrained in my memory, and is triggered whenever I think of Fury3, like I did when I saw you mentioned it. I friggin' love that game, even *more* than Terminal Velocity (way cooler ship in Fury3). God that takes me back.

It'll be interesting to see what they get out of Microsoft. They have Fury3, Hellbender, Monster Truck Madness, Midtown Madness, Age of Empires, and quite a few others under their belt.

It'll also be quite interesting to see how Gog manages to get them running on a modern system as quite a few of those games were during the Direct X 3-6 days when it.. well sucked a ton.

I would be extremely surprised if Microsoft signed on with GoG. They like the idea of releasing old games on Live Arcade too much for that.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Installed Alone in the Dark. Where are the sequels? I'm probably really blind.

Also, that graphics mode adjuster is really helpful and handy. :)

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Installed Alone in the Dark. Where are the sequels? I'm probably really blind.

Also, that graphics mode adjuster is really helpful and handy. :)

They're separate downloads listed along with the manual and stuff under "additional content"

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

UselessLurker posted:

I would be extremely surprised if Microsoft signed on with GoG. They like the idea of releasing old games on Live Arcade too much for that.

Yeah but this was back when they were only a PC gaming outfit and xbox wasn't even a glint in anyone's eye. I wager it'd probably be a bitch for them to try and port any of those games to the Xbox. No reason to not make some money out of them on Gog if those guys could get it running.

Also: Crimson Skies....

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

keyframe posted:

I would jump with joy if it is SE and we get thief 1 and 2.

I wonder how they're going to handle fixing the multicore lockup problem in the GOG version. It's simple enough but to get it working for a whole variety of single and multi core systems....

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

They're separate downloads listed along with the manual and stuff under "additional content"

I wonder if there was some legal thing why they couldn't package this like their other combo releases.

Master of Orion 1+2, King's Quest 1+2+3, and Space Quest 1+2+3 all are single downloads if I remember right.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

That seems... really inconvenient. Why not a 'Police Quest series'-like installer?

You can't even use the GOG downloader with them :(

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 14, 2011

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Bats posted:

Yeah but this was back when they were only a PC gaming outfit and xbox wasn't even a glint in anyone's eye. I wager it'd probably be a bitch for them to try and port any of those games to the Xbox. No reason to not make some money out of them on Gog if those guys could get it running.

Also: Crimson Skies....

They're releasing Radiant Silvergun on XBLA sometime this year. Again, I wouldn't count on it. :smith:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

They mentioned 25 games (or thereabout) being released from the new publisher this spring, can any of the publishers presented be ruled out?
I mean, I get there's a reason they're called 'the big five', but does Square Enix own 25 major/sought after PC titles for instance?

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

doctorfrog posted:

New Atari games, one new publisher, Alone in the Dark tril, Witcher 1 getting the GOG model... and some mild bitching about people who might or might not say words the same way as you.

Agreed, I was expecting Ultima and/or Thief! It's not all bad though, Alone in the Dark is all good :)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

UselessLurker posted:

Companies like Microsoft will either do something like this themselves (and badly), or attempt to acquire the company doing this already and make them do it for them (ruining the service in the process). The service would then flounder and shut down within a few years. Huge monolithic corps don't like even slightly letting go of even their most minor IPs to a minor player, which is also why we'll probably never see EA work with GOG either.

Not getting AoE in the catalog is worth the sacrifice of keeping MS far, far away from GOG.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I mean, I get there's a reason they're called 'the big five', but does Square Enix own 25 major/sought after PC titles for instance?

Square-Enix own Eidos. Check out their back catalogue.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Nothing is ever up to the hype, thats why its hype. Still we were told that GOG could potentially be getting 3 of the major sought after developers which is pretty big news, it does suck that they continue to dangle it in front of us without telling us what they are but I cant really blame them for having some fun.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Companies like Microsoft will either do something like this themselves (and badly), or attempt to acquire the company doing this already and make them do it for them (ruining the service in the process). The service would then flounder and shut down within a few years. Huge monolithic corps don't like even slightly letting go of even their most minor IPs to a minor player, which is also why we'll probably never see EA work with GOG either.

Not getting AoE in the catalog is worth the sacrifice of keeping MS far, far away from GOG.

Exactly. For the record, I also wouldn't be surprised if EA releases an Ultima anthology whenever they finally bother shutting down Ultima Online. So maybe there's hope for that there I guess for the people who are hung up on it. Sucks for people who want to see any of the Bullfrog games this century, though.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

UselessLurker posted:

Exactly. For the record, I also wouldn't be surprised if EA releases an Ultima anthology whenever they finally bother shutting down Ultima Online. So maybe there's hope for that there I guess.

They already released an Ultima anthology, then they stopped distributing it.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

They mentioned 25 games (or thereabout) being released from the new publisher this spring, can any of the publishers presented be ruled out?

I think the 25 title line can exclude Lucasarts, honestly.

If you were to call up a list of Good Old Lucasarts Games, it'd probably go something like this:

Maniac Mansion
Day of the Tentacle
LOOM
Sam & Max Hit the Road
The first 3 Monkey Island games
Grim Fandango
Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis & Indiana Jones Last Crusade
The X-Wing/TIE Fighter trilogy
Dark Forces
Jedi Knight 1+2
Rebel Assault 1+2
Knights of the Old Republic
Full Throttle
Outlaws

That's only 21 games (if you don't combo pack any of them) right there. You'd really have to start digging to get it to hit 25.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

doctorfrog posted:

That's the frustrating part of this. You just know that both EA and Microsoft don't want to join GoG because they keep thinking that they would be better off if they made ALL the profit by selling it off their own websites, yet at the same time neither of them will ever bother to put in the effort to do it anyways.

I just keep picturing some number cruncher in a cheap business suit deleting the voice mails from CD Projekt as being the only reason I'm not downloading Rise of Nations or Crusader right now and I'm all pissy about it.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

macnbc posted:

If you were to call up a list of Good Old Lucasarts Games, it'd probably go something like this:

Maniac Mansion
Day of the Tentacle
LOOM
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Grim Fandango
Dark Forces
Jedi Knight 1+2
Rebel Assault 1+2
Full Throttle
Outlaws

That's only 21 games (if you don't combo pack any of them) right there. You'd really have to start digging to get it to hit 25.

The Dig makes 22

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

macnbc posted:

Maniac Mansion
Day of the Tentacle
LOOM
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Grim Fandango
Dark Forces
Jedi Knight 1+2
Rebel Assault 1+2
Full Throttle
Outlaws

Zac McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, The Dig, Afterlife, Armed and Dangerous. Not that hard to hit 25, really.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Kinda off topic, but LucasArts related. I wonder why they haven't released Kotor II on Steam and d2d yet.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
Secret Weapons over Normandy, the Jedi Starfighter games, Lego Star Wars, definitely a few more you could fit in there.

Rinkles posted:

Kinda off topic, but LucasArts related. I wonder why they haven't released Kotor II on Steam and d2d yet.

The most anyone has ever been able to get out of them on the subject is that they think that rereleasing the game that they had rushed to meet a holiday deadline would tarnish the image of the Star Wars brand. Yes, really. All about the marketing there.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Rinkles posted:

Steam doesn't put unfinished betas up for sale :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

doctorfrog posted:

Huge monolithic corps don't like even slightly letting go of even their most minor IPs to a minor player, which is also why we'll probably never see EA work with GOG either.

Well they already got Activision, aren't they bigger than EA now?