Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Hdip posted:

You should be able to move the two lines to your boss's account right now. The upgrade eligibility date will not change. So in September when your contract is up you will be eligible.

Is that so? Sprint's losing a good 80-90 bucks for the next 5 months or so if I do that, which is why I thought it wouldn't work?

Otherwise that would be boss, I'll call them up as soon as I get the other account info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'm pretty happy with CM7 right now, but has HTC said anything about a Gingerbread update for the EVO? They were one of the first to hop on board with Froyo, but I haven't heard a peep about Gingerbread. It seems surprising to me that the Droid X is going to get it first.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Looks like the epic might be getting official 2.3 at some point.
While I'd be entirely amused by the Epic getting GB before the Evo (officially anyways), given what happened with EB13 I'd chill on Froyo for a while until all the bugs are known.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Argh I have the Moment and Im due for an upgrade in May. I cant decide if I should just go for the Nexus S or try and be really patient for the Evo3D whenever that comes out

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

brc64 posted:

I'm pretty happy with CM7 right now, but has HTC said anything about a Gingerbread update for the EVO? They were one of the first to hop on board with Froyo, but I haven't heard a peep about Gingerbread. It seems surprising to me that the Droid X is going to get it first.

http://www.androidguys.com/2011/04/12/htc-evo-4g-htc-thunderbolt-receiving-gingerbread-q2/

That's the rumor I've heard when it comes to GB on the EVO.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

Chunk posted:

Argh I have the Moment and Im due for an upgrade in May. I cant decide if I should just go for the Nexus S or try and be really patient for the Evo3D whenever that comes out

Either way you choose to go, be prepared to have your mind absolutely loving blown. Coming from a Moment, and seeing what Android is actually supposed to be like... yeah.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

brc64 posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1035438

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Hahaha "HTC Sense version 1.00.000.0417771.651"

Oh well, can't have everything. Rooted one is being worked on now.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Nothing like a leaked test ROM with absolutely no information attached to it... but at least it's something.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Deadpan Science posted:

Have there been any updates on the price of the evo3d? I'm on a family plan and we want to stay off contract. Is it going to be $700?

Either way, unless you are extremely picky buying off contract it is always smarter to buy used. Sprint is a bit more reasonable, but $500 for a phone is a lot, and within a few months you can usually find it on craigslist for $300/350. I got lucky enough to get my evo only 3 months after it came out for $225 used (thank you goons).

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Premier customers get first crack at the Echo:

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

While I'd be entirely amused by the Epic getting GB before the Evo (officially anyways), given what happened with EB13 I'd chill on Froyo for a while until all the bugs are known.

Yeah, I'm not so much excited for it as I am for the Cyanogenmod 7 development that will be jumpstarted by its release. Specifically the 4G development.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

traveling midget posted:

Premier customers get first crack at the Echo:

Those launch day lines are gonna be out the door and around the corner.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Yeah, I'm not so much excited for it as I am for the Cyanogenmod 7 development that will be jumpstarted by its release. Specifically the 4G development.

CM7 has 4G, and this won't help it at all. They had to write 4G from scratch in CM6 and CM7.

It should help with a few of the GPS issues that some people have after flashing though.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Chunk posted:

It's like polishing a turd, but at least you can have C2DM and move to SD:
http://forum.sdx-developers.com/moment-2-2-development/froyo-dl05-beta-6-for-samsung-moment-(upd-0320-215am-edt)/

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

I wouldn't hold your breath. Epic's WiMAX support was kludged into the framework libraries and Samsung's platform source release doesn't include them. GPS is less of a kludge, but all the communication is done through Samsung's proprietary and rickety-rear end RIL. The Epic CM7 port does use said RIL, but they pretty much have to reimplement the GPS interface for the framework to actually get it to work, which is no small feat.

Now, if the Epic GB port was a complete departure from the past, and resembled something along the lines of the CDMA Nexus S, then yeah, it would be a boon to CM development. But I doubt that's what they did.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sprint just announced the Samsung Replenish, a green phone that's basically another stab at the Blackberry form factor. Big hook is that it will not require the $10 premium add-on. $50 for anyone here that cares.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Captain Charisma posted:

Big hook is that it will not require the $10 premium add-on.
Wait, so if you activate an Instinct today you have to pay premium data, but not for this Android heap poo poo?

Why is Sprint so arbitrary?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Wait, so if you activate an Instinct today you have to pay premium data, but not for this Android heap poo poo?

Why is Sprint so arbitrary?

They don't want people (great example being sero users previously) clinging onto old phones and not signing contracts. It sucks, but if the instinct and especially if something like windows 6.5 was grandfathered away, you would have a bunch of people willing to put up with windows to save $10 a month. Waive it for the new phone and they at least know customers aren't buying phones off craigslist with no contract.

Note this is my opinion, not anything sprint has said.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think they want a lot of casuals/first time smartphone buyers to get it, as well. Power users are going to go to the Evo line, not that.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Man, the Replenish is an excellent looking phone. I wonder if Virgin Mobile will pick up a variant...

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Blackberry Playbook launch pushed back to May 8th.

No reason given.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

900ftjesus posted:

It's like polishing a turd, but at least you can have C2DM and move to SD:
http://forum.sdx-developers.com/moment-2-2-development/froyo-dl05-beta-6-for-samsung-moment-(upd-0320-215am-edt)/

I haven't paid attention to any of this stuff in months, what is the preferred rom and all that stuff?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Chunk posted:

I haven't paid attention to any of this stuff in months, what is the preferred rom and all that stuff?

I asked a friend with a Moment, that's the one they're using. No real show stopper problems as far as I know.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The Nexus S features prominently in the new store signage that goes up tomorrow. This leads me to believe that it is coming out sometime next week, as the Echo is also featured prominently.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Mahoning posted:

The Nexus S features prominently in the new store signage that goes up tomorrow. This leads me to believe that it is coming out sometime next week, as the Echo is also featured prominently.

I'm hoping it comes out this week. I'm done with my palm pre. I can't even get through a day of no use.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
Has anyone used both the Evo and Evo Shift? I'm thinking about trading my Evo for a new Evo Shift since it has CM7 now and was wondering how they compare in terms of battery life, etc. The Evo is slightly too big for me and I wouldn't mind having a hardware keyboard.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

TheBlackMallard posted:

Has anyone used both the Evo and Evo Shift? I'm thinking about trading my Evo for a new Evo Shift since it has CM7 now and was wondering how they compare in terms of battery life, etc. The Evo is slightly too big for me and I wouldn't mind having a hardware keyboard.

I have an EVO and my wife has the Shift. I personally couldn't give up the massive screen size on the EVO, but I know she prefers the Shift for that very reason (my phone is "too big" for her). The keyboard is nice, from what I can tell. It's also got a little trackpad thing on it which I think you can use to move between text fields. Battery life is great, from what I can tell. Out of the box she was getting a full day easy, although admittedly she is a light user compared to most.

The biggest complaint is volume button placement, which gets in the way when sliding the keyboard in and out (it's very easy to accidentally adjust your volume constantly) when trying to get to the keyboard. She found an app that seemed to help with that a little bit, though.. something that sits in the notification bar and gives you so many seconds to confirm a volume change request before reverting to the previous setting.

It's also drat snappy. I believe it has a slower clock speed than the EVO, but it's a newer generation processor, and the few times I've picked it up and played with it, I've been impressed with how smooth everything was.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
I just got a Shift this weekend and am pretty impressed so far. I apologize if this has been answered already, I didn't see it in a quick browse of the thread. Is there any way at all to turn off the auto capitalization of the first letter of the first word I type. This happens in SMS, Trillian, etc. and it's really annoying to me. I know I can just unclick the shift key but I just want it off completely. No option that I can find Languages & Keyboard. Thanks.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

Looks like the epic might be getting official 2.3 at some point.

Keep that dream alive buddy.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

brc64 posted:

It's also got a little trackpad thing on it which I think you can use to move between text fields.

For what it's worth, it's not a trackpad but a dpad, in that it's not touch sensitive, it's only push sensitive.

I would however agree with everything else you said.

TGuard50
Oct 27, 2007
Any official word yet on when the Nexus S 4G will be out? Best Buy is being vague still.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TGuard50 posted:

Any official word yet on when the Nexus S 4G will be out? Best Buy is being vague still.

Nothing official, new employee promos has a Nexus S training and test, "pass test and sell at least one Nexus S in May to possibly win ___ prize." I would bet May, although April is still possible.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

TheBlackMallard posted:

I agree with brc64, the screen on the Shift seems tiny after the Evo. Performance wise, the Shift is a bit faster.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
I'm not sure where else to ask this, so I'll just ask here: I have a non-rooted LG Optimus S, and one of the programs I installed is Advanced Task Killer, to try to get some better battery life out of it.

Problem is, once I kill all the tasks I don't want running all the time, the next time I unlock the phone to do something and I go check, every single drat app is running again.

How do I actually stop poo poo from just running all the time?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Mistikman posted:

I'm not sure where else to ask this, so I'll just ask here: I have a non-rooted LG Optimus S, and one of the programs I installed is Advanced Task Killer, to try to get some better battery life out of it.

Problem is, once I kill all the tasks I don't want running all the time, the next time I unlock the phone to do something and I go check, every single drat app is running again.

How do I actually stop poo poo from just running all the time?

It's doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing. Your battery will improve by uninstalling the task killer, you don't need it. Those things aren't really running, they're sleeping in the background.

How long does it run on a charge without the task killer?

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

6-7 hours or so. I live in a house with abysmal cell reception, so it spends ~50% of the time searching for a signal and the rest roaming with 0 bars.

When left plugged into the charger, the charge lasts about 24 hours or so. It charges up to full then slowly starts draining, while plugged in.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Mistikman posted:

When left plugged into the charger, the charge lasts about 24 hours or so. It charges up to full then slowly starts draining, while plugged in.

That's hosed up.

Dump the task killer. Android is smarter than that crap these days.

There's really nothing you can do about that battery life, though, short of getting an airave or going full-on black hat and prl swapping. You can follow all the niggling tips you like about widgets and screen brightness and whatnot, but when you're dropping in and out of coverage nonstop, it's the cell radio that's eating all that power.

I have spotty coverage at home, too, and my battery life here isn't much better, but since my charger works properly, and it gets 3-4 times that out where there's coverage, it's not much of an issue.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

Yea, I read somewhere (can't remember where) that if you are in a situation that's chomping your battery, just leave it plugged into the charger and it will charge to full then just run off the charger power leaving the battery at full. Instead, some part of my phone is still using battery power when plugged in, and chews through it in about a day no matter what I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mistikman posted:

6-7 hours or so. I live in a house with abysmal cell reception, so it spends ~50% of the time searching for a signal and the rest roaming with 0 bars.

Get an airrave, see details in the op. That should hopefully fix the problem.