Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Couldn't find a thread for the game itself so I'll try here.

Anybody know if performing the data install for Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on a PSPgo actually does anything? Better or worse? I've heard people say it can be better for downloaded games on a regular PSP, but with this having both the game itself and the 'installed' data both on the same storage drive I'm curious.

Skunk Ape fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

If you install the game, you automatically see all the equipment in the shop (instead of heaving to press a button for each item)
It probably won't do much for the loading times

MJ_Turbo
Oct 15, 2005
da fuq?
What do people think of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony? it's £9.99 special offer on the EU PSN store.

I love psp rpgs but it does look generic as gently caress
edit: never played a lunar game

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

MJ_Turbo posted:

What do people think of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony? it's £9.99 special offer on the EU PSN store.

I love psp rpgs but it does look generic as gently caress
edit: never played a lunar game

It's a competent re-imagining of the first Lunar game. They followed suit with a lot of PSP RPG mechanics (no true overworld map, you move from node to node, etc.) but it has a great presentation overall. I'd highly recommend it, but I'm also an unapologetic diehard fan of the series. By now the story is a bit trite and cliched, but you have to remember that it was originally conceived about 19 years ago.

It's got a great translation, the graphics are gorgeous and the voice acting ranges from bad to competent without ever really being abysmal.

EDIT: I should also say that it plays very much like a traditional RPG. Turn based battles with no real added gimmicks, and it follows a fairly standard dungeon > town > dungeon flowchart. It really does have a fantastic story, though I'd stay away from it if you aren't a fan of anime art styles or sometimes heavy handed "friendship is the key to victory/love overcomes all" moments.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Try the demo, it'll even get you a bonus item into the full version.

MJ_Turbo
Oct 15, 2005
da fuq?

quakster posted:

Try the demo, it'll even get you a bonus item into the full version.
Where can I get it? It's not on my PSN store, hell theres only 31 demos in total on there.
edit: lol demos=demons

MJ_Turbo fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 17, 2011

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MJ_Turbo posted:

Where can I get it? It's not on my PSN store, hell theres only 31 demons in total on there.
What the hell? There's way more than that on my end. Try using the search function, it might work.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Is the demo not on the EU PSN or something? Oh well, the extra item isn't a big deal at all. Anyway, I just posted in the RPG thread in praise of Lunar. If you like traditional RPGs, get it because it's one of the best.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Am I the only kook that prefers to get the physical copies when possible? I like to have things to put on a shelf and look at, plus sometimes you get swag like Lunar came with some art cards and a music CD.

MJ_Turbo
Oct 15, 2005
da fuq?

quakster posted:

What the hell? There's way more than that on my end. Try using the search function, it might work.
I went to All Games-> PSP Games -> PSP Demos -> and then theres alphabetical categories, I added them up and theres only 31. I tried a search too, nope just the full priced game. I thought maybe it was because I was using the PS3 store(which they redesigned terribly last week) but I searched the store on my PSP too, nothing. There's not even a dedicated demos section on there :v:
I found this which lists 52 demos, including Lunar. I don't know what the gently caress. A conspiracy is afoot :spergin:

Yechezkel posted:

GTA Vice City Stories is free on Playstation Store in the European region. It's probably a pricing mistake so if you want it, go get it now before they fix it.
Heh, I noticed it and got it too, probably something to do with the "free if you buy a pspgo" offer.I was curious because I thought it would only download if you somehow validated you were using a pspgo. Did a google search and nothing came up at the time so I assumed it wouldnt work on my 3000 model. Guess I'll transfer it across and play it later.

MJ_Turbo
Oct 15, 2005
da fuq?
edit:quote is not edit

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

PopeCrunch posted:

Am I the only kook that prefers to get the physical copies when possible? I like to have things to put on a shelf and look at, plus sometimes you get swag like Lunar came with some art cards and a music CD.

Well the ability to resell is nice. Also physical copies let you buy used, or stores have clearances. Most games now have data install too, so the only advantage for digital is for that super hard stuff to find. Well that and they are NGP compatible :ohdear:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

PopeCrunch posted:

I almost always prefer physical media, but with the NGP on the horizon I've switched over to digital-only purchases in order to ensure backwards compatibility.

That said, I still bought a physical copy of Lunar to add it to my collection of Lunar merchandise :swoon:. Those bromide cards were skeezy as hell, though.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
Dont forget the soap you could buy to see scenes of the characters bathing in the spa at the end of the one stupidly hard forest.

Add me to the list of collectors. Something about digital distro just seems less satisfying. I just like lining MY THINGS up on a shelf and wringing my hands incessantly at them, a line of drool slowly leaking down the corner of my mouth.. Id probably make a terrible buddhist.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Speaking of PSP cases and lining them up, MINE KEEP loving FALLING OVER. What the hell.. I mean it should be fine, I have them all nicely stacked. But the ones at the end keep wanting to tip over :mad:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

TheOriginalEd posted:

Add me to the list of collectors. Something about digital distro just seems less satisfying. I just like lining MY THINGS up on a shelf and wringing my hands incessantly at them, a line of drool slowly leaking down the corner of my mouth.. Id probably make a terrible buddhist.

That's me and XSeed limited editions.

Did you know the spines on the Ys boxes line up to form one image? :v:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

iastudent posted:

That's me and XSeed limited editions.

Did you know the spines on the Ys boxes line up to form one image? :v:

The boxes AND the game cases line up for an image.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

QUESTION: Anyone have suggestions for UMD storage? I bought a used UMD a while ago, and it's loving annoying that I have one lose game floating around. I'm kind of anal about keeping games in there own proper game cases, so I don't lose poo poo. Any empty PSP cases for sale or something? :(

tejini
Oct 26, 2010
If you have no aversion to gamestop or have a local used game shop. You can nab a PSP case for $10 or less and most usually have built in storage for UMDs.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Is the new Final Fantasy 4 likely to be released digitally soon? How long does it generally take for a high profile UMD release to make it to the PSN?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Is the new Final Fantasy 4 likely to be released digitally soon? How long does it generally take for a high profile UMD release to make it to the PSN?

Most high profile UMD games come out either simultaneously or close to release, SCEA has already confirmed on their blog that FF4 is launching on both physical and digital tomorrow.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Policenaut posted:

Most high profile UMD games come out either simultaneously or close to release, SCEA has already confirmed on their blog that FF4 is launching on both physical and digital tomorrow.

Sweet, thanks.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Azubah posted:

The boxes AND the game cases line up for an image.

Oh Xseed how did you know that I'd be a big gay nerd and buy ALL of your cool limited editions. :(

kontona
May 3, 2003

I bought a psp just to play Final Fantasy IV. I've heard the After Years is nothing but fanservice...

but I'm still hyped anyway. One of my favorite games of all time.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

kontona posted:

I bought a psp just to play Final Fantasy IV. I've heard the After Years is nothing but fanservice...

I'll be buying that game for the fifth time and I feel absolutely no shame. Now give FF6 the same treatment, Square !

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I just finished Lunar Silver Star Harmony (great game, easy, but thoroughly enjoyable). I decided to pick up another XSEED game...any advice as to Ys Seven or Tales in the Sky?

Also part of the sad group that is doing PSN only because of the NGP...

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Death Priest posted:

I'll be buying that game for the fifth time and I feel absolutely no shame. Now give FF6 the same treatment, Square !

Didn't 6 recently get announced for a release on the Japanese PSN?

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

ChiTownEddie posted:

I just finished Lunar Silver Star Harmony (great game, easy, but thoroughly enjoyable). I decided to pick up another XSEED game...any advice as to Ys Seven or Tales in the Sky?

Tales in the Sky is pretty awesome. It doesn't stand out in any particular way but it does everything good. It's just a solid old schoolish jRPG with a fun battle system.

Since I grew up on poo poo like that maybe I can appreciate more but if you liked Lunar SSS then you should be set.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ChiTownEddie posted:

Ys Seven is easily one of the best action rpgs you'll ever play and the music is quite awesome (just like the rest of the series). It's also pretty refreshing to see a game treat a long running pair of world famous badasses as such.

Combat is quite fast, while still having room to out think the enemy a bit. The bosses pose a good challenge, too.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 19, 2011

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

lohli posted:

I think it was for the PS1 version, which is basically the SNES version ported to the PS1 (which was also done for FF4 and Chrono Trigger). It hasn't gotten a remake like FF4 has, with a new engine. I think that's what most people want.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

kontona posted:

FFIV is my favorite game of all time. I've been playing the version from the japanese psn and it's fantastic. It's like they upgraded it as much as they could but not enough to lose the feel of the original (I couldnt get into the 3D remake). The best new feature is definitely the hyper speed auto battle option. The difficulty once you hit the end game is very high too, but the implementation of this change is both good and bad.

MythicAlphabet
Mar 19, 2009

How should I know?
It's all Greek to me.
I haven't been able to log onto the PSN from my PSP ("Connection to Playstation® Network timed out."), is anyone else having this problem? I've tried resetting my PSP's system settings, power-cycling my router/modem, putting my PSP in the DMZ, switching to a different PSP... Does this sound like a problem on my ISP's end, or is there something I'm missing?

Sorry if this isn't the place for it, I couldn't find a PSP support thread. :ohdear:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Everyone over at the PS3 thread seems to have trouble logging into PSN, so I guess it's on their end.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!
Definite rumor mill news considering who wrote the article, but it looks like the PSPgo may be getting discontinued.
http://www.giantbomb.com/news/pspgo-production-reportedly-ceased-heres-what-we-know/3052/

Kinda bummed as I do really enjoy mine. Hope this doesn't affect PSN distribution of games for PSP.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

SixOhSix posted:

Definite rumor mill news considering who wrote the article, but it looks like the PSPgo may be getting discontinued.
http://www.giantbomb.com/news/pspgo-production-reportedly-ceased-heres-what-we-know/3052/

Kinda bummed as I do really enjoy mine. Hope this doesn't affect PSN distribution of games for PSP.

Seeing how they're pinning the entirety of the NGP's PSP backwards compatibility on digital distribution, and that Sony is forcing simultaneous retail/digital releases on NGP from launch, I doubt PSP Go's death will affect the digital output of titles.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

lohli posted:

It would appear so. It seems to be a port of the anthology version however. I'd very much like for 5 and 6 to get the complete collection treatment.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Speaking of Square games on PSN, Threads of Fate is out! :dance:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

EightFlyingCars posted:

Speaking of Square games on PSN, Threads of Fate is out! :dance:

What makes this game so cool? I played an hour of it and couldn't really get into it, and just never kept going. But I really don't know anything about it other than that a bunch of people like it so I'm assuming I'm missing something key.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

JamesKPolk posted:

What makes this game so cool? I played an hour of it and couldn't really get into it, and just never kept going. But I really don't know anything about it other than that a bunch of people like it so I'm assuming I'm missing something key.

It helps to have played it when you were ten, or at least at a point in your life when a little girl drop kicking everyone she met was the best thing ever. Coincidentally, I bought that thing within about 5 seconds of seeing it was on the PSN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, that's that, the PSP Go is no longer being manufactured for the Japanese market.

• Locked thread