Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
Well it's not "normal" exactly, you don't have to have sore ribs if you train jiu jitsu but it's certainly not out of the ordinary in my experience; fat guys hanging on you can be uncomfortable. I don't tend to worry about anything in that area if it's not having a big impact on either my training or quality of life, but what do I know? Probably I am killing myself by pushing my own broken ribs into my heart, but so far I've never had trouble (beyond soreness) just being careful and training through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
If it gets worse, even a little, you need to take a break and let them heal. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for a nasty injury that severely effects your day to day life and takes forever to heal.

I let mine go for like six months until it separated, Bj Penn style. I couldn't even walk quickly for about 2 weeks, couldn't return to the mat until a month, and couldn't roll hard for almost another month on top of that. It was seriously a world of poo poo.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
not to be all :rolleyes: but i think it's a bit much to assume his ribs are literally about to break if he's only feeling a little sore when he turns over in bed

@McNerd, just use common sense. if it hurts too much to train, don't train. if the pain gets (much) worse or doesn't go away, take some time off. maybe see a doctor if you're super worried. just listen to your body's signals and you'll be fine. if you haven't trained much at all before starting BJJ then you will be sore in random places, it happens partly because your body isn't used to people crushing it and partly because starting out you tend to overwork it.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Thanks, everyone. I'll keep an eye on it, but won't let it stop me from training tonight.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
if it hurts during training, you're essentially looking at a longer recovery time. you're not teaching your body to adjust

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Paul Pot posted:

if it hurts during training, you're essentially looking at a longer recovery time. you're not teaching your body to adjust

ya, there is a difference between adjusting to discomfort and an injury. It might be something very minor that goes away quickly as you adjust, or it might continue and get worse. If it gets worse you should rest it earlier rather than later, because one week off is far better than having to take a month off.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
I found I was pretty sore when starting BJJ, but your body gets used to it. This happens every time I take a break from it as well. I usually have stiff joints and pulled muscles in strange places.

That being said I also received a rib injury (cracked rib/bruise/cartilage injury) from grappling with big guys, but its the type of injury you know you have. There was no ambiguity, if I sneezed I would double over in pain. I'd say be careful, train light, and if things get serious see a doctor.

I think when you're new you are more prone to injury and also unsure of the severity of injuries. My expert internet doctor advice is to take it easy, and train light. Or go to the doctor, or ask your coach what he thinks.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
Yeah, I'm definitely prone to doing things to my body if I take a couple weeks off and jump right in. My knees in particular tend to seize up if I don't stretch well and warm up before grabbing my foot or what have you but I can generally tell the difference between soreness and something I need to worry about.

In addition to everything else just make sure to let whoever you train with know what's up, that's why a lot of people will ask you before rolling if anything's hurting, so they don't spend the whole session knee-on-bellying your sore ribs.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

Grab Your Foot! posted:

In addition to everything else just make sure to let whoever you train with know what's up, that's why a lot of people will ask you before rolling if anything's hurting, so they don't spend the whole session knee-on-bellying your sore ribs.

I hate that, sometimes people are like my left arm is hurt don't attack it.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely prone to doing things to my body if I take a couple weeks off and jump right in. My knees in particular tend to seize up if I don't stretch well and warm up before grabbing my foot or what have you but I can generally tell the difference between soreness and something I need to worry about.

Yeah, I came off a couple weeks' hiatus, and then the class spent a couple weeks on back control attacks/escapes. Back control probably doesn't put as much pressure on your chest as side control or mount can, but then, you can usually mitigate the pressure in those positions if you know what you're doing. In back control it seems like you just have to accept it and be grateful you're in a superior position, right? (Or should I be trying to do a little "situp" motion in that position, to keep from being crushed into the floor quite so much?)

Anyway, the new theme of the week is armbars, and there will be at most about five minutes/day of actual live rolling (since it's a beginner class). I guess the armbar from mount is pretty painful and I might have to ask my partner to go easy on that one if we do it, but studying the armbar from guard last night was a welcome relief and hopefully I'll get a little more respite.

Thanks again for the advice, everyone!

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

McNerd posted:

Anyway, the new theme of the week is armbars, and there will be at most about five minutes/day of actual live rolling (since it's a beginner class). I guess the armbar from mount is pretty painful and I might have to ask my partner to go easy on that one if we do it, but studying the armbar from guard last night was a welcome relief and hopefully I'll get a little more respite.

Thanks again for the advice, everyone!

If you know he locks it in and you won't escape just tap, even before it hurts. It is just practice, then start over until you can escape and not get caught. Much easier on your joints than fighting to get out really hard and having him lock it in.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

TwistedNails posted:

If you know he locks it in and you won't escape just tap, even before it hurts. It is just practice, then start over until you can escape and not get caught. Much easier on your joints than fighting to get out really hard and having him lock it in.

While I'll definitely do this, I meant that it's hard on my poor fwagile ribs: the armbar-from-mount techniques I've learned all involve putting all your weight there while you pivot into S-mount or whatever you do.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Well my second jiu jitsu tournament went a little better. It was round robin so I managed to pick up 1 win out of five matches. The real prize, however, was meeting this guy Sen-Foong Lim. He's under five feet tall, weighs 120 pounds, and is 40 years old, and he's still a sick grappler. He's also a part time DJ, and he offered to train me over the summer after thoroughly schooling my rear end. He is basically the coolest guy ever and my own personal Master Thonglor.

So basically, watch your backs cause I got Master Foonglor in my corner now: http://i.imgur.com/UF0nj.jpg

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Yuns posted:

Well of course after posting that I can't remember the last time anyone got a brabo/d'arce on me, of course I get tapped by one this morning. Ooh that will teach me to post stuff like that.

Yeah, the universe has ways of teaching you a little humility. Like, I was feeling pretty good about the state of my overall fight game until a really nice one handed guy outboxed and out grappled me for 2 hours tonight. What the gently caress, world.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Yeah, the universe has ways of teaching you a little humility. Like, I was feeling pretty good about the state of my overall fight game until a really nice one handed guy outboxed and out grappled me for 2 hours tonight. What the gently caress, world.

Should of clinched with him, over hooked his one arm and used your free arm to go to town.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Do you guys have any guillotine tutorials to recommend? I just got back into aggressive manhugging and I've been trying to perfect my guillotines, especially my set ups for them from the top.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
I'm a big fan of grapplearts.com. There is a ton of useful techniques in there from stephen kesting and from other great coaches. There should be some tips for guillotines. His seminar vids from Erik Paulson have some great choke set-ups, which you should take a look at.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Im pretty sure I strained my quad at class monday, Its stiff as hell and theres pain when its bent (like when im sitting on a chair).

Would I be an idiot if I went to class or should I just stay home and continue icing it while feeling sorry for myself.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

westcoaster posted:

Should of clinched with him, over hooked his one arm and used your free arm to go to town.

One handed, not one armed. He had about 20 pounds and a few years of college wrestling experience I'd guess, I always get hosed up by wrestlers stronger than me, two hands or not. Super weird getting the bad arm shoved across your throat / chin - couldn't really hand fight my way out of it.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

fawker posted:

Would I be an idiot if I went to class or should I just stay home and continue icing it while feeling sorry for myself.

do you want to be a fuckin grappler?

Give it time to heal up properly. no sense in risking further damage.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

fawker posted:

Im pretty sure I strained my quad at class monday, Its stiff as hell and theres pain when its bent (like when im sitting on a chair).

Go to class and sit on the sidelines. You can still learn.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

One handed, not one armed. He had about 20 pounds and a few years of college wrestling experience I'd guess, I always get hosed up by wrestlers stronger than me, two hands or not. Super weird getting the bad arm shoved across your throat / chin - couldn't really hand fight my way out of it.
do you reflexively cringe every time that thing came near your face

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Did he have a glove over his stump to box with?

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Gomi Pile posted:

do you reflexively cringe every time that thing came near your face

that's what she said

westcoaster posted:

yep he put a 5oz glove on it, and a 16ox boxing glove on the other.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

westcoaster posted:

I saw a guy with one hand fight here in Tulsa back in late 2009. It was hilarious because as he was wailing on his opponent from mount his "glove" came flying off. His poor opponent definitely ate two or three bare stump shots before the ref stepped in.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

I've noticed having a strong grip helps a ton. Guys who can just control my wrist easily make it really hard to do anything, in gi I'd imagine be even stronger to have a good grip. So what are some good exercises that any of you guys do to strengthen the grip? My neck is really starting to get strong now been doing the neck bridges for a month+ now and never get a sore neck and actually can escape chokes easier it seems. Yet my grip is still pathetic and I need to get stronger grip to prepare for gi training also especially.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

shizen posted:

I've noticed having a strong grip helps a ton. Guys who can just control my wrist easily make it really hard to do anything, in gi I'd imagine be even stronger to have a good grip. So what are some good exercises that any of you guys do to strengthen the grip? My neck is really starting to get strong now been doing the neck bridges for a month+ now and never get a sore neck and actually can escape chokes easier it seems. Yet my grip is still pathetic and I need to get stronger grip to prepare for gi training also especially.

Fill a bucket with rice, plunge your hands in and get good big fistfuls and just squeeze as hard as you can until you can't squeeze anymore. Rest, repeat.

If you lift weights, pick up some heavy dumbbells or a heavily loaded barbell and just hang onto them for as long as you can. With the dumbbells you can even walk with them for distance, which is called a farmer's walk.

Buy these: http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Main/captainsofcrush.html and squeeze that poo poo closed and hold it closed until (you guessed it) you can't hold it closed any more. Once you're too tired to close it, use both hands to get it closed and then hold it closed with your lone hand.

edit: forgot, you can do plate pinches too. Just get a pair of plates, stick them face to face, and then pinch them between your thumb and fingers and hold them up for as long as you can.

You can also do hub lifts where you get a thick bar (like the collar of a barbell or something), load it up with weight, and then hold it up by pinching the end between your fingers. These pinching exercises probably won't transfer to BJJ quite as well, but if you want to be well rounded, they're nice.

Oh, you can also do towel pullups and also just statically hanging from a pullup bar for time. Towel pullups will absolutely wreck your forearms.

mobn fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 21, 2011

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

wow thanks thats a lot of stuff

yeah I do lift weights but use straps a lot for pulling movements, going to stop that now for sure. My grip is very weak though-well at least compared to some of the guys I roll with who are higher level- but how often should I be able to train grip without overtraining my hands too much?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Bucket of rice works great also try a forearm exerciser, the wooden or steel rod with the rope in the middle that you roll up with a small plate on the bottom.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

shizen posted:

wow thanks thats a lot of stuff

yeah I do lift weights but use straps a lot for pulling movements, going to stop that now for sure. My grip is very weak though-well at least compared to some of the guys I roll with who are higher level- but how often should I be able to train grip without overtraining my hands too much?

Small muscle groups recover pretty quick, so you could probably do twice a week pretty easily.

You should definitely only use straps when your grip is preventing you from finishing working out a stronger muscle group. Plenty of people use straps for their heaviest sets of deads, rows, etc, but don't put them on until you can't hang onto the bar any longer. Just that alone will probably improve your grip a ton if you've been using them for every set.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

mobn posted:

Small muscle groups recover pretty quick, so you could probably do twice a week pretty easily.

You can do them daily and fully recover.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

mobn posted:

You should definitely only use straps when your grip is preventing you from finishing working out a stronger muscle group. Plenty of people use straps for their heaviest sets of deads, rows, etc, but don't put them on until you can't hang onto the bar any longer. Just that alone will probably improve your grip a ton if you've been using them for every set.

I only ever use straps when doing heavy shrugs, theres no point in using them any other time. You can't use them if your are competing in lifting so why train with them?

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

westcoaster posted:

I only ever use straps when doing heavy shrugs, theres no point in using them any other time. You can't use them if your are competing in lifting so why train with them?

yeah I think my hands would be a lot stronger if I didn't use them so much. I mean I started using them because most guys at the gym used them and they allow me to do more weight also.

Yet after doing bjj for about month or so now I've noticed how important grip strength is.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
I lift with some powerlifters, they do small local comps, and they very rarely use them. Use chalk if you need something to help your grip.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Xguard86 posted:

Hate to be a hater but yes I have serious doubts Pablo is anywhere near natural. More jacked than a greek statue.

Today in class my coach slipped and referenced "Pavlovitch's dog" and I pictured this:

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

TwistedNails posted:

Bucket of rice works great also try a forearm exerciser, the wooden or steel rod with the rope in the middle that you roll up with a small plate on the bottom.

Note: if you've never done this before it will kill your forearms. It doesn't look hard, and it doesn't sound hard, but jesus christ.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
The towel pull-ups sound great.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

westcoaster posted:

You're doing a lot more frequency in training than you are in a competition. When you're training you pull heavy multiple times a week, so there's more likelihood that later in the week you're fatigued enough to maybe needs some help from straps, especially when you're pulling 600+ pounds. In a competition you're warming up and then making three heavy pulls with break time in between, so the straps are unnecessary.

Like I said though, you shouldn't break out the straps until you literally can't even hold on with a hook grip any longer. I sometimes have to bust out straps halfway through my back day because my forearms start to fatigue to the point of pain, and I'd rather hit my back really well than worry about grip training when I can do extra work for my grip if it lags.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

I'm thinking of ordering the CSW Student: 5 DVD Set by eric paulson. Anyone have any thoughts on the series? He seems to go over all the basics here for no gi and I prefer training no gi anyways. I'm beginner level and have a buddy I can train with to go over drills. Are dvds like this a waste though or can they actually have some good benefit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

assuming you are training under a qualified teacher already, ya sure knock yourself out. If you are using these as your only source of instruction, you're really wasting your time/money because you can't just watch and learn how to grapple.

Can anyone with wrestling and/or Judo experience do a writeup for basic takedowns from those sports? Nothing crazy, just a picture and brief explanation for say the 5 most common moves. I started doing it but my takedown/throw game is so basic I don't feel comfortable acting like an authority on anything past a single leg. I want to edit it into the first posts so we have a one stop shop for when people ask about hugfights. If you are busy and only want to do one or two moves, that's fine too, I'll edit them all together.