Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

hedgecore posted:

Another Bomb studio pic...

Drumx/aux percussion is done (I believe the Bayside drummer made a guest appearance) and bass is done and guitars are done wahoo. Can't wait to hear the real thing.

oh my god they're actually doing it

c'mon july :f5h::f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Dickeye posted:

It's like an abusive relationship. They keep hitting you and you keep going back thinking it'll be ok.

This is the part of the relationship where they stop hiding the drinking and become a raging alcoholic by the way.

But thier live show are like the day they try to make it all up to you, and bring you flowers and chocolate and its so good you, for a moment, believe it can be like it used to.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

aricoarena posted:

But thier live show are like the day they try to make it all up to you, and bring you flowers and chocolate and its so good you, for a moment, believe it can be like it used to.

Right but they're so drunk that they're falling over and they puked in the chocolate and you're allergic to flowers.

BtMI on the other hand is the guy that takes you out on an awesome date, and then continues taking you out on awesome dates, and never hurts you except for sometimes you can't get in touch with him but you really want to see him and you can't.

Streetlight's the same way except you literally don't hear from him for three years but then he shows up on your doorstep with a brand new car for you.

This is fun.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Less Than Jake is the guy that doesn't really care about what you have to say, but will gladly hang out at the bar your mom suggests after the show.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
Catch-22 was really awesome but turned into a totally different person and you just don't have anything in common anymore.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

aricoarena posted:

Catch-22 was really awesome but turned into a totally different person and you just don't have anything in common anymore.

I think of them more as a best friend who was replaced by a replicant with only a basic knowledge of the things you used to do together, and then fucks it up whenever they try to do them.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

aricoarena posted:

You left Big D out of that sentence

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

lessthankyle posted:

I think of them more as a best friend who was replaced by a replicant with only a basic knowledge of the things you used to do together, and then fucks it up whenever they try to do them.

Catch-22 is totally the main character from the last star fighter

bear shark posted:

You left Big D out of that sentence

They are more like the ex-lover that got really into meth, or ICP, or something. And, I hate them now so much but I have to constantly tell people about the way they used to be and how awesome they were.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Mighty Mighty Bosstones are the father that left and is trying to work their way back into your life with awesome gifts.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Backno posted:

Mighty Mighty Bosstones are the father that left and is trying to work their way back into your life with awesome gifts.
Nah. The Bosstones are a really well-intentioned dad who loves you and wants to do the very best he can for you, but he is really busy at work lately so he can't spend as much time with you as he'd like and maybe we can go out for ice cream next week and

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Backno posted:

No, that's Streetlight: The absentee parent who tries to buy your love with an awesome present every couple of years.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Pietasters are the drunken alumni that show up and throw one really good party at homecoming, then spend the rest of the year not doing much.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Less Than Jake is the guy that doesn't really care about what you have to say, but will gladly hang out at the bar your mom suggests after the show.

Oh come on. Less Than Jake is obviously the dude that constantly bitches about your town and always talks about how things are going to change when he moves out. But he's never gonna move or stop complaining and you wouldn't have it any other way.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Look you're supposed to describe the band using a relationship as a metaphor, not just write lyrics.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Jeff interview RE: Vacation
http://vimeo.com/22563002

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

hedgecore posted:

Jeff interview RE: Vacation
http://vimeo.com/22563002

Dear Sneve: You rule.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
i am just going to put myself into cryostasis until july because i'm going to kill myself waiting for this album

HavveK
Aug 3, 2008
The Aquabats is the unmarried uncle on your mom's side that you idolize him for his neat things and manchildness as a kid but then you grow up and feel a little sad for him because he still hasn't grown up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Uh no you grow up and even though you don't find his antics as amusing anymore you still gotta give the dude credit because he's living the goddamn dream.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
And you just have to accept the fact that he's moved on to entertaining mostly younger, cooler kids and he's loving awesome at it.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rx Bandits are that friend you really got a long with, but have drifted apart. You check up on them online and are pretty impressed with what they're currently doing, but things aren't the same.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Fishbone is basically "Mr. Chevy Celebrity", but you keep reading police blotters and know that it's about him.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Rx Bandits are that friend you really got a long with, but have drifted apart. You check up on them online and are pretty impressed with what they're currently doing, but things aren't the same.

Speaking of which, has it been mentioned here that RXB is breaking up after their next tour? I really didn't care much for them when they were a ska band, and I've really been digging the past 3 albums they put out, so this hit me pretty hard. I just really hope they come somewhere close, cause I've really wanted to see them live but put it off.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lessthankyle posted:

And you just have to accept the fact that he's moved on to entertaining mostly younger, cooler kids and he's loving awesome at it.
The Aquabats are basically Artie the Strongest Man in the World from the Adventures of Pete and Pete.

quote:

Speaking of which, has it been mentioned here that RXB is breaking up after their next tour? I really didn't care much for them when they were a ska band, and I've really been digging the past 3 albums they put out, so this hit me pretty hard.
I liked Progress and the Resignation but when they went exclusively prog their music got a little too strange for me. I can't get into anything from Mandala.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 19, 2011

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Quest For Glory II posted:

The Aquabats are basically Artie the Strongest Man in the World from the Adventures of Pete and Pete.

Farewell, my Little Viking.

HavveK
Aug 3, 2008

lessthankyle posted:

I wasn't serious about it, just using it to follow the joke. I still like Aquabats and am happy/envious that MC Bat Commandor/Christian has been able to get Yo Gabba Gabba off the ground.

I am far from the target audience and I love that Yo Gabba Gabba exists. I wish I had it as a kid. I wish I had a kid I could watch it with.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Coming soon to a concert near you: http://goo.gl/cDIwQ

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does God hate Five Iron Frenzy, too?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

lessthankyle posted:

Amazing.

I love that they looked for a reason. The reason is, Fred Phelps is a crazy, abusive piece of poo poo.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Why the Gothamist gotta be hating on Cherry Poppin' Daddies I love that band :fuckoff:

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
It makes you wonder what kind of ska exposure they've had when the only names they drop are Less Than Jake, Cherry Poppin' Daddies, and Let's Go Bowling (whom I adore, but still...).

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Is that even real, that kid's shirt looks like such an obvious photoshop

EDIT: I know that the pic can be a joke and the story could still be real

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

Is that even real, that kid's shirt looks like such an obvious photoshop

EDIT: I know that the pic can be a joke and the story could still be real

Probably a real story, the pic is definitely a joke, it's an MS Painted "God Hates Fags" shirt.

And I don't know if the skywizard hates Five Iron, but I sure do.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

All I can think is that they're about 15 years too late on this one

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

Probably a real story, the pic is definitely a joke, it's an MS Painted "God Hates Fags" shirt.

And I don't know if the skywizard hates Five Iron, but I sure do.
I don't love most of Five Iron's catalogue, but do you really hate Kamikaze? I love that song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOs2K-tjuSw

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

When I think of Christian ska, I think of the OC Supertones. I just remember being in high school and borrowing a friend's cd of the band and occasionally putting it on as background music. One day I decided to pay more attention to the lyrics, and their overt Christian messages made me realized that they were a bona fide Christian ska band. Being able to look up their lyrics online now, I should have realized it sooner:

quote:

I'm wide awake
and thinking about the cross,
the Trinity apart.
I dig and come up empty,
clutching an empty heart.
I found it funny because the friend from whom I borrowed the cd was Jewish.

Bonus link to song the lyrics are from - http://youtu.be/ht5Dk-Ue8cs

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

As a kid I listened to the Supertones but it's a little harder to listen to them as an adult when their songs literally have lyrics like "Hitler is alive in the knives of abortionists"

Five Iron Frenzy was a good band because they attacked within rather than rally the whole fire and brimstone thing. I think their only religious material is about personal reflection, individual spirituality, and none of it is malice. The most angry stuff they've written is about the treatment of Native Americans, and the conduct of other christians and christian bands (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ulw3BGQzZM).

The rest of christian ska I can take or leave. I think the Insyderz are funny bad, I can't even remember any others. The W's were the worst example of trendchasing in music history.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 22, 2011

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
I know we have a few new yorkers in here, is anyone going to the Ska is Dead show in Garden City tonight?

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

lessthankyle posted:

I'd love to read what they have to say when they discover Choking Victim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

It's laundry day; I'm down to my priest outfit.
So is anyone going to the Asian Man anniversary fest dealio in San Fransisco? I'm going from Florida and it'd be cool to meet up with some other people who are into it, especially anyone who lives around the area... so that i can get a hint on other cool things to do/check out/eat at.