Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

Illest Norwegian hiphop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULirzwD_JQo

Bonus for sampling the default message sound in AIM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQHXnc_dYX4

Gotta rock the Finnish rap for my wife's roots. (And mine, in a very, very small way)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

Bonus for sampling the default message sound in AIM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQHXnc_dYX4

Gotta rock the Finnish rap for my wife's roots. (And mine, in a very, very small way)

How about some uh.. Possibly Swedish or Norwegian or Danish dance music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_qTeSLBvPU&feature=related

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NxEtRPkr9U

Wait... is this right?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SaNChEzZ posted:

Its not that cool :( I think you should just assume it is and find some one off Norwegian landmark, make sure we can see your boot in the corner and snap away though. I'd frame it and put it in my house.

Allright, there's a place called "Å" up in the north. That'll do.

Coolest Finnish guy ever is Jimi Tenor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8VVf2NHCq4

I don't what we're doing in this thread anymore, can't keep up. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
^^^^ I really think it doesn't matter at this point. This is what happens when I don't have a motorcycle to hold the coherence of the thread together anymore. On the bright side, it has made this monday wonderful.

Spiffness posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NxEtRPkr9U

Wait... is this right?

If this is wrong I never want to be right.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I'm really excited to see what "Å" is, and I wish that was my last name because it looks awesome.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

^^^^ I really think it doesn't matter at this point. This is what happens when I don't have a motorcycle to hold the coherence of the thread together anymore. On the bright side, it has made this monday wonderful.

If this is wrong I never want to be right.

Ok then, back to bikes, give me your second opinions: could riding my F2 around with a hole right at the top of the downpipe on #3 (where it bends into the head) do it any harm? Or will it just run poorly and make that terrible clicking noise wherever I go?

I'm guessing on a 4t and on the exhaust side an air leak is more a PITA than anything else.

Waiting on some replacement bolts to get the new downpipes on, because the current ones are properly, properly hosed. But I've just spent a day taking all the fancy poo poo off my Hornet and cleaning it up ready for sale, so I really want to park it in the garage and leave it there.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Foreign hip-hop and no Nederhop? Allow me to represent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgRltY4HEWU

This poo poo was bangin' when I was abroad a couple years ago.

Edit: This is now the most boss thread in Cycle Asylum.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Well since we're talking Norwegian music, check out Mayhem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayhem_(band)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Dude strolls in and just drops Mayhem?

Son if you want to talk Norwegian black metal, I'm down, but this is about BEATZ

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

^^^ Blastbeats. :black101:

redscare posted:

Well since we're talking Norwegian music, check out Mayhem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayhem_(band)

This is what Norwegians listen to when they get up in the morning.

Windir is also notable for their frontman, Valfar, getting himself frozen to death in a snowstorm before he could make a lovely album.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 19, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saga posted:

Ok then, back to bikes, give me your second opinions: could riding my F2 around with a hole right at the top of the downpipe on #3 (where it bends into the head) do it any harm? Or will it just run poorly and make that terrible clicking noise wherever I go?

I'm guessing on a 4t and on the exhaust side an air leak is more a PITA than anything else.

Waiting on some replacement bolts to get the new downpipes on, because the current ones are properly, properly hosed. But I've just spent a day taking all the fancy poo poo off my Hornet and cleaning it up ready for sale, so I really want to park it in the garage and leave it there.

This thread is about BEATZ now. :colbert:

nah it's fine. Not recommended, but I highly doubt you're going to have any problems with it cruising around while you wait for your new bolts to come in.

MotoMind posted:

^^^ Blastbeats. :black101:

This is what Norwegians listen to when they get up in the morning.

Windir is also notable for their frontman, Valfar, getting himself frozen to death in a snowstorm before he could make a lovely album.

Their member list is just :allears:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Spiffness posted:

Dude strolls in and just drops Mayhem?

Son if you want to talk Norwegian black metal, I'm down, but this is about BEATZ

Your BEATZ just got raped and pillaged by a Viking raiding party

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPRt6Tt6RyM

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I can't decide whether my next cosmetic upgrade for my KLR is going to be a METAL BUTTON which is a black button covered by an interlock that switches on handlebar speakers that are connected to an always-on MP3 player with a playlist of BLACK METAL. Pressing the black button presses play on the MP3 player, which shuffles in a random track of punishing grimness...or just rig up the godfather horn.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

MotoMind posted:

I can't decide whether my next cosmetic upgrade for my KLR is going to be a METAL BUTTON which is a black button covered by an interlock that switches on handlebar speakers that are connected to an always-on MP3 player with a playlist of BLACK METAL. Pressing the black button presses play on the MP3 player, which shuffles in a random track of punishing grimness...or just rig up the godfather horn.

The button should be covered in painful spikes, to make the act of pressing it more brutal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Just bought one of these after the endless raves of needknees about how AWESOME his is.

Hopefully it doesn't suck! :argh:

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Z3n posted:

Hopefully it doesn't suck! :argh:

Would love to hear your impressions when you get it. Seriously considering one myself. Mostly I'm worried it will be annoyingly big/bulky on those days when I just wanna throw a thing or two into it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Symphoric posted:

Would love to hear your impressions when you get it. Seriously considering one myself. Mostly I'm worried it will be annoyingly big/bulky on those days when I just wanna throw a thing or two into it.

I love my Chrome bag for the bicycle, but when you sit bolt upright on a supermoto it doesn't work right because all of the weight ends up on your shoulder rather than getting spread evenly. The Kriega should be awesome on the bike, but I didn't buy one initially because the strap system didn't look great for bicycle usage...so, obviously the solution was to buy both! :haw:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Symphoric posted:

Nope, it's fine for normal day to day use. I use it for commuting with just my lunch and some random small items. The compression straps really collapse the bag down to something manageable.

Z3n posted:

Just bought one of these after the endless raves of needknees about how AWESOME his is.

HAH! My lies were successful! I actually hate my R35 - it's the most useless annoying piece of poo poo I've bought. Ever.

:frogout:

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

I have the Kriega R25 and a US10 to snap on to it for travel, and it is seriously awesome.

The R25 at least is just the right size for commuting/overnight trip somewhere. I have a 15" Macbook Pro, tire kit, small tool kit, bike documents, few other sundry items (flip flops, whatever) and it's still small and not bulky.

The only thing I won't recommend of Kriega's is the Kube 4 laptop sleeve, as the drat thing has pockets that don't velcro or snap closed, so all your poo poo tumbles out as soon as you zip it up.

I used a Crumpler messenger bag for years, should be pretty similar to the Chrome. The Crumpler twisted when I got over 80 even with the third strap being used.

The Kriega is by far the most comfortable bag I've ever used on a bike. That quad lock thing is killer.

A Duck! fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 20, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Well, at the risk of famous last words, managed to get the old headers off my F2. #3 downpipe was completely sheared through. The end of it was just sitting in the head when the rest of the system came off. Funny poo poo. But Honda quality - the nuts came right off using a 3/8 ratchet after just 15 minutes soaking in penetrating fluid. No heat, impact drivers or breaker bar required.

Getting the end can off the manifold however, that took a rubber mallet and a lot of swearing.

Now for an ear-bleedingly loud carbon can. :rock:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

needknees posted:

HAH! My lies were successful! I actually hate my R35 - it's the most useless annoying piece of poo poo I've bought. Ever.

:frogout:
Well, you should just send it to me then so it stops wasting your space.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

A Duck! posted:

I have the Kriega R25 and a US10 to snap on to it for travel, and it is seriously awesome.

The R25 at least is just the right size for commuting/overnight trip somewhere. I have a 15" Macbook Pro, tire kit, small tool kit, bike documents, few other sundry items (flip flops, whatever) and it's still small and not bulky.

The only thing I won't recommend of Kriega's is the Kube 4 laptop sleeve, as the drat thing has pockets that don't velcro or snap closed, so all your poo poo tumbles out as soon as you zip it up.

I used a Crumpler messenger bag for years, should be pretty similar to the Chrome. The Crumpler twisted when I got over 80 even with the third strap being used.

The Kriega is by far the most comfortable bag I've ever used on a bike. That quad lock thing is killer.

I'll have it on Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm excited.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Alright, well, it's been awhile since I've had anything to post here.

Got the 690, obviously, Kriega passed the road test with flying colors.

Today I took care of some basic maintenance on the KTM. I replaced the front brake pads, cleaned the caliper, cleaned the wheels (again), realized the chain needed to be replaced soon, bled brakes, and dropped the forks in the triples about 7mm to try and get it to turn a little nicer. If I had the right tools I would have swapped the headstock eccentric adjuster to increase offset, but wasn't interested in getting into that just yet. Head bearings feel a little loose, too. Maybe tomorrow I'll pull everything apart and grease the swingarm linkage and try and increase the preload on the rear shock a bit. After reading more about the bike, apparently the KTM stock springs are too long (with no preload adjustment) so that's a big part of why it's a little harsh when it gets leaned over.

However, getting a bike that's set up so nicely it only requires mild tweaking is nice. New tires are on their way, hopefully will be here sometime next week. The rear is really at the end of it's life.

I'm dragging my feet on my next project for a bit. It'll come when it comes. Need to sell the last few GSX-R parts, and some other odds and ends...just being lazy about listing stuff on ebay.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

New project:

Been sitting for 14 years but I didn't buy this one, just doing some mechanic work on the side to make a few hundred in startup for the next round of projects.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Oh Z3n, I wish you lived near me so I could pay you to make my dream bikes all pretty :allears:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

Oh Z3n, I wish you lived near me so I could pay you to make my dream bikes all pretty :allears:

I wish I lived back in the bay too. Me and the wife want to return there but it just doesn't make sense right now :(

But if you decide you want me to source you a motorcycle, let me know. Projects for friends are what I enjoy the most, the rest of it is just done to keep my hands busy :)

Arcane
Nov 19, 2003

There are no girls on the internet!

Z3n posted:

I wish I lived back in the bay too. Me and the wife want to return there but it just doesn't make sense right now :(

But if you decide you want me to source you a motorcycle, let me know. Projects for friends are what I enjoy the most, the rest of it is just done to keep my hands busy :)

Remember you have friends in the bay area who like to do the same ;)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Arcane posted:

Remember you have friends in the bay area who like to do the same ;)

Friends doing the same doesn't keep my hands busy!

But uh, why didn't I think of introducing you guys before. I'll message you guys together on facebook.

Permabanned idiot
Jun 13, 2011

by angerbeet

Z3n posted:

Friends doing the same doesn't keep my hands busy!

But uh, why didn't I think of introducing you guys before. I'll message you guys together on facebook.

Just bumping Z3ns Project Thread. Insane activity like this doesn't deserve page 3.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Permabanned idiot posted:

Just bumping Z3ns Project Thread. Insane activity like this doesn't deserve page 3.

Aww thanks buddy.

That reminds me. Quick oil change, a good battery off the shelf, a carb clean and some fresh gas and the sr500 fired right up.

Of course, the owner was planning on riding it around for awhile before selling it, but we discovered he wasnt able to kick start it at all. :( i haven't been in too much of a rush to get it out of the garage but I should probably call him and move on to bigger and better things.

In my spare time I've been building a Ruby on Rails app to dynamically generate an image that I can link on forums that will have the most up to date parts availability, pricing, etc from the bikes I've been parting out. That should make it a lot easier to keep everything ordered and keep parts moving out the garage.

From there the plan is to pick up one or 2 more project bikes to flip for dirtbikes for me and the wife.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

BlueBayou posted:

Oh how things change! Prepare yourself for the return of Z3n and Bunway to the bay area. Conan is in the middle of job hunting/personal recommending and I'm just in a good field so we'll probably move before the end of 2011.

Bunway Airlines fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 10, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Moving aside, a friend of mine had the KTM for a few weeks, and made a mold to pull this part out of it:

He screwed that one up by being an overeager child, but I should have some CF parts on my KTM soon. :3:

Anyone interested in CF heatshields?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Z3n posted:

New project:

Been sitting for 14 years but I didn't buy this one, just doing some mechanic work on the side to make a few hundred in startup for the next round of projects.

Worth it. Rare find in unmolested condition. Most went to ill-conceived tracker/bobber/cafe heaven.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Z3n posted:

New project:

wow nice find!

If you need parts let me know.
I've got a couple sitting in my garage.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

SR500 is sold. Took my cut of the proceeds, now on to the next thing: getting the ruby project done and getting my parts listed for a bit more startup cash, and then one solid project should fund a TTR 125 for the wife and a 250 for me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Picked up a cheap project, I give you...

The Roving Shitheap

It's pretty rough but...it was cheap, clean title, currently registered. It didn't start at the guy's place but it turned over, all of the lights and blinkers worked. I paid the man his money, got the title, and loaded it up in the truck. On the way home, I picked up some oil, filters and plugs for it.

Got it home, drained out the old gas, dropped in a half gallon of fresh stuff with a few shots of seafoam, and it fired up. I rode it around the block, and the bike was wallowing all over the place. Pulled back into the garage, reinflated the tires to an appropriate PSI. Took it back out, and noticed the clutch was slipping. Pulled back in, adjusted the cable, took it back out. Bike felt pretty good at that point, although the brakes are wooden, definitely need fresh fluid. I knew that the charging systems on these is a weak spot, mainly because you need to drop the engine and do quite a bit of work to get to a stator/rotor if it fails. I fired it up with a multimeter on the battery, reved it up...11.9 volts.

gently caress.

So I decided to pull the battery, and toss it on the charger, just in case the battery was bad enough to cause problems. As I pulled it, I noticed a green wire was disconnected...

Oh...wait a second, that wire isn't green, it's just a horribly burned yellow wire! :neckbeard:

I stripped the wires, wound them together, and slapped some electrical tape on them for a quick test, and got 14v at the battery.

Thank god. No need to drop the engine. Everything works. Just need to take care of the basics:

Tires: Front valve stem is rotting out. Front tire is toast. Rear tire is in decent shape, although I need to check the date code.
Brakes: Bleed, check calipers, lube slider pins, check pads.
Engine: Change oil, filters, plugs, check valves.
Gauges: The tach is bad but he gave me a replacement, so I'll just swap it in.
Forks: Clean up and check the fork seals.
Final drive: Change the gear oil.
Seat: Recover or replace.
Cosmetics: Try and find a left side cover, hit the bike with some paint, clean up the rust and scrapes on the chrome.

Besides the cosmetic stuff, that shouldn't be much more than a few hours work, then take some decent pictures of it, list it, and move on to the next project!

I also ordered a fresh rear for the KTM to replace the one that I blew a hole in. :v: At some point, I'm going to look into getting another set of forks, I might have a blown seal on my current set, as well as a set of offroad rims.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
That's barely a project, that's just a bike in need of a little TLC.

I'm going to be up in SB tomorrow PM and Wednesday AM. If I manage to get some free time after dinner, I'll give you a ring.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Will you take $50 and a broken Xbox 360? It's OK to ride back to Ohio, right?

</CL buyer>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

redscare posted:

That's barely a project, that's just a bike in need of a little TLC.

I'm going to be up in SB tomorrow PM and Wednesday AM. If I manage to get some free time after dinner, I'll give you a ring.

Cool, sounds great!

I'm gonna market it using this as a picture of what it could be, I think:

Bucephalus posted:

Will you take $50 and a broken Xbox 360? It's OK to ride back to Ohio, right?

</CL buyer>

I think I'm finally learning how to write ads so I filter out most of the idiots. But it is craigslist, after all. :v:

With that said though, when it's all said and done it should be that reliable :)

• Locked thread