Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Guns and cars, you just need the booze blog to complete the trifecta! Looking good though. You might want to consider a magazine style theme for your hyundai site, it would work really well I think since the content is very 'magazine'-ey anyway. You also need a logo and a favicon of some kind! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

orphean posted:

Guns and cars, you just need the booze blog to complete the trifecta! Looking good though. You might want to consider a magazine style theme for your hyundai site, it would work really well I think since the content is very 'magazine'-ey anyway. You also need a logo and a favicon of some kind! :)

haha I know right! When I tell people the companies I work for they always give me a confused look. Do you have a theme you recommend? I tried out one magazine style one and I didnt like it because it made the photos so small and anything I have posted in the past was sized all wrong and it overlapped the sidebar.

How do I set up my favicon? I have a logo but I couldn't figure out how to add it using the Arjuna theme.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Bojanglesworth posted:

haha I know right! When I tell people the companies I work for they always give me a confused look. Do you have a theme you recommend? I tried out one magazine style one and I didnt like it because it made the photos so small and anything I have posted in the past was sized all wrong and it overlapped the sidebar.

How do I set up my favicon? I have a logo but I couldn't figure out how to add it using the Arjuna theme.

Download the plugin "All in one Favicon" and then upload a .ico (plugin for photoshop is free here http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/) or a png... Its almost too easy! :)

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
/\/\/\ This works too! V:shobon:V

Bojanglesworth posted:

For the favicon you'll need a 16x16 image in .png or .ico formats (the most common). Then you'll need to find where your theme output's the header. A file called 'header.php' is common but not universal. Once in there you'll add the following link in between the 'head' tags:
code:
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="http://example.com/myicon.png">
That assumes a png favicon obviously. You should be able to replace the header text and add your logo into the same file as well.

Bojanglesworth posted:

Do you have a theme you recommend?

It's hard to recommend a theme since it's basically your brand and that is a fairly personal thing. I like using a theme framework called Genesis but it's not free. If you want to go that route here are some child themes that might work well for your site (you can get both together, the child themes require Genesis to work).

These tend to allow for easy customization and are very well coded. They're not free but you get lifetime updates and can use them on as many blogs as you want. No need for some exorbitant 'developer's' license.

For free themes you could check out lists like this one from Smashing Magazine and look at the magazine style themes there. If you find one you like I'd go to the theme's creator and see if they have an updated version.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

orphean posted:

/\/\/\ This works too! V:shobon:V

My philosophy is If there is a plugin, use it! but your way is better and much more likely to not break something! :)

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Favicon is set up, it is pretty lame but its hard to come up with a good one.

As for the logo, I have a logo already for my company, but the theme I have doesn't allow the header to be changed. I imagine that is something I can change with css but I have no idea where I would put it and all that.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Bojanglesworth posted:

Favicon is set up, it is pretty lame but its hard to come up with a good one.

As for the logo, I have a logo already for my company, but the theme I have doesn't allow the header to be changed. I imagine that is something I can change with css but I have no idea where I would put it and all that.

Give me a holler again if you get stuck.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

cocteau posted:

Give me a holler again if you get stuck.

Thanks, I felt bad constantly bombarding you with stupid questions.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
This is more Drupal specific, but Wordpress has a lot of the same challenged and the community is much more active, so I'll ask here.

What are some strategies for developing a site with a small team? After WP3 it's not as much as an issue, but before that many of the queries, functions and templates only work by ID. For instance for the longest time if you wanted to have a special page template for a particular page you had to create a page-id.php. So a copy of the DB must be sync'd throughout the project. That's pretty bad for development though. Say one developer does a bunch of stuff on their own, commits a copy of the code and the DB to the repository. Another developer is working independently on a different project but interrelated dependencies. They do work and push it back, but the database could be different.

Drupal has more complex problems but if people have ideas on how they dealt with it in Wordpress that could spark some ideas. The php files generally aren't a problem, it's centralizing database information in a way that can be propagated safely. Right now I'm completely at a loss.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Trying to change the address for a WP blog.

Currently this is the URL: http://blog.ofdconsulting.com

I want it to be: http://www.ofdconsulting.com/blog

I'm looking at everything through ftp, and the blog is already installed at ofdconsulting.com/blog, so I figure that's good.

Now in Wordpress under "settings," I've got two fields:
WordPress address (URL) and Site address (URL)

Both of those are currently the same: http://blog.ofdconsulting.com like so:

It looks like all I have to do is change the Wordpress address to ofdconsulting.com/blog, and delete the site address, correct? After that, all that's left is to tell people to change their links to us, right?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

NotShadowStar posted:

This is more Drupal specific, but Wordpress has a lot of the same challenged and the community is much more active, so I'll ask here.

What are some strategies for developing a site with a small team? After WP3 it's not as much as an issue, but before that many of the queries, functions and templates only work by ID. For instance for the longest time if you wanted to have a special page template for a particular page you had to create a page-id.php. So a copy of the DB must be sync'd throughout the project. That's pretty bad for development though. Say one developer does a bunch of stuff on their own, commits a copy of the code and the DB to the repository. Another developer is working independently on a different project but interrelated dependencies. They do work and push it back, but the database could be different.

Drupal has more complex problems but if people have ideas on how they dealt with it in Wordpress that could spark some ideas. The php files generally aren't a problem, it's centralizing database information in a way that can be propagated safely. Right now I'm completely at a loss.

You can have page-slug.php and if it is page-people.php then /people/ will map to people. Also, if you use templates and name them properly they can be selected from the individual pages.

You shouldn't need to share a db. Either name pages using the slug or use the part where you go
code:
/*

Template name: Template

*/
in the top of the file and it will appear in a dropdown.

Also, jackpot, you need to keep both of those fields. The WordPress address needs to know where things are actually installed - this is what will find your css and what not. The Site address is your homepage and can essentially be anywhere on the site and far away from the WP install as long as you have an index.php file that includes wp-load.php from your WP install.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.

jackpot posted:

Trying to change the address for a WP blog.

Currently this is the URL: http://blog.ofdconsulting.com

I want it to be: http://www.ofdconsulting.com/blog

I'm looking at everything through ftp, and the blog is already installed at ofdconsulting.com/blog, so I figure that's good.

Now in Wordpress under "settings," I've got two fields:
WordPress address (URL) and Site address (URL)

Both of those are currently the same: http://blog.ofdconsulting.com like so:

It looks like all I have to do is change the Wordpress address to ofdconsulting.com/blog, and delete the site address, correct? After that, all that's left is to tell people to change their links to us, right?

If only it were that easy.

All of your content will have to have links updated, etc. because a large number of site URLs are stored in the database.

Luckily for you, there's a plugin which does all of this for you.

Search for "Change WordPress URL" in the plugins section, or go here.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

bobthecheese posted:

If only it were that easy.

All of your content will have to have links updated, etc. because a large number of site URLs are stored in the database.

Luckily for you, there's a plugin which does all of this for you.

Search for "Change WordPress URL" in the plugins section, or go here.
Ah thanks, I'll check this out. Moving the blog is the last step in a redesign, and I saved it for last 'cause I had a feeling it might be a pain in the rear end.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
This from the OP:

Ned posted:

Finally, I purchased a license for the Shopp plugin. It does a nice job of integrating e-commerce into the Wordpress Admin. I still need to set up a complete shop with it but I like the parts I have used so far.

I've mainly dealt with corporate level CMS's like RedDot and took on a small e-commerce/blog project and thought WordPress would be ideal for them. Is that Shopp add-on still the best thing to use?

Also, any hosting advice wold be great for this, as well as maybe a cheaper place to park my own WordPress testing area.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 18, 2011

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Some time ago I started to make some interviews of metal bands as some sort of hobby. Amazingly enough, it took off, and now I already have some interviews lined up for the next couple of months with "big" bands (though not as big as Judas Priest or Iron Maiden).

A fellow goon is making a website for it, in wordpress, but he doesn't know which plug-in to use to make it a multilingual website.
Basically, what I want is to give the readers the possibility to choose from different versions of the site, NOT an automatic translation.
We tried qtranslate yesterday, but it seemed quirky and, quite frankly, didn't really do what I wanted.
WPML ( http://wpml.org/) seems like a good idea, but it's commercial, and I want to avoid paying too much for now. Are there any good (and friendly) alternatives (both for me and the visitor) ?

Thanks goons, it means a lot. :)

EDIT: Xlanguage, mentioned in the OP, hasn't been updated since 09, and the plugin's website doesn't work anymore.
Also, qtranslate doesn't work with wordpress 3.1, so it keeps disabling itself.

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 18, 2011

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.

Non Serviam posted:

Some time ago I started to make some interviews of metal bands as some sort of hobby. Amazingly enough, it took off, and now I already have some interviews lined up for the next couple of months with "big" bands (though not as big as Judas Priest or Iron Maiden).

A fellow goon is making a website for it, in wordpress, but he doesn't know which plug-in to use to make it a multilingual website.
Basically, what I want is to give the readers the possibility to choose from different versions of the site, NOT an automatic translation.
We tried qtranslate yesterday, but it seemed quirky and, quite frankly, didn't really do what I wanted.
WPML ( http://wpml.org/) seems like a good idea, but it's commercial, and I want to avoid paying too much for now. Are there any good (and friendly) alternatives (both for me and the visitor) ?

Thanks goons, it means a lot. :)

EDIT: Xlanguage, mentioned in the OP, hasn't been updated since 09, and the plugin's website doesn't work anymore.
Also, qtranslate doesn't work with wordpress 3.1, so it keeps disabling itself.

If you want to go real cheap, you could probably actually just install several copies of wordpress side-by-side, and just put some links in the header which changes the site, but keeps the rest of the URL the same (so as to keep users where they were).

This is also a horrible way to do it, but it's cheap.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Non Serviam posted:

For a couple of sites I did last year I was really happy with the Google Ajax Translation plugin, but haven't used it since WordPress 3.0 was released, and it's not showing that it's definitely compatible. That doesn't mean a lot, though, and it might well work, so it's worth a shot anyway (can't lose anything by trying).

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Boosh! posted:

This from the OP:

I've mainly dealt with corporate level CMS's like RedDot and took on a small e-commerce/blog project and thought WordPress would be ideal for them. Is that Shopp add-on still the best thing to use?

Also, any hosting advice wold be great for this, as well as maybe a cheaper place to park my own WordPress testing area.

I should probably update the OP. I'm not really sure what e-commerce plugin is best and lately I have been doing my WP development on AWS. Once I get this image a little more sorted out I'll try to release it.

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

cocteau posted:

For a couple of sites I did last year I was really happy with the Google Ajax Translation plugin, but haven't used it since WordPress 3.0 was released, and it's not showing that it's definitely compatible. That doesn't mean a lot, though, and it might well work, so it's worth a shot anyway (can't lose anything by trying).

I found that the plugins for google translate really didn't work very well at all with 3.0 onward.

On the other hand, if your theme is anything other than staright up useless, it should be really easy to add to the theme manually.

It IS auto-translate still though, so unfortunately not what the questioner was after.

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

Boosh! posted:

Is that Shopp add-on still the best thing to use?

Best? Dunno. It is, however, what I use when we get 'small' ecommerce requests from clients at work, it does the job of allowing someone who could update with base wordpress to be able to have an ecommerce section and also be able to update that with minimal effort / extra learning.

If your client is ever going to legitimately come to you with an excel file of their 200 products asking how to do this mass update... Shopp is not for them.

Its not the most flexible with regards styling; my advice would be that, whatever theme you are using you want to make a child-theme of it to work in, because Shopp will want to add a new folder to your theme for its CSS, which you then need to edit.

Its an OK system, but you DO want to be in a child theme for doing that kind of thing - probably better to know that up front.

Oh and the docs for shopp aren't awesome; they're there, and I think they're complete, but they're just not well written or structured - you have to dig a bit.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

bobthecheese posted:

If you want to go real cheap, you could probably actually just install several copies of wordpress side-by-side, and just put some links in the header which changes the site, but keeps the rest of the URL the same (so as to keep users where they were).

This is also a horrible way to do it, but it's cheap.

Well, I hope to be able to do it for little or no money, but if there are no other options, I think I could always spend some money on a plugin.
Also, Ajax Translation, sadly, isn't what I'm looking for. We want to offer different version of the website, but written by us, not translated by google.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help goons. :)

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Thanks for the info Ned and Kuru. Yea, the shop would only have about 100 products max so no batch updates required.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 19, 2011

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

KuruMonkey posted:

Best? Dunno. It is, however, what I use when we get 'small' ecommerce requests from clients at work, it does the job of allowing someone who could update with base wordpress to be able to have an ecommerce section and also be able to update that with minimal effort / extra learning.

If your client is ever going to legitimately come to you with an excel file of their 200 products asking how to do this mass update... Shopp is not for them.

Its not the most flexible with regards styling; my advice would be that, whatever theme you are using you want to make a child-theme of it to work in, because Shopp will want to add a new folder to your theme for its CSS, which you then need to edit.

Its an OK system, but you DO want to be in a child theme for doing that kind of thing - probably better to know that up front.

Oh and the docs for shopp aren't awesome; they're there, and I think they're complete, but they're just not well written or structured - you have to dig a bit.

I have been using wp e-commerce... The beta 3.81 RC4 (I think) is awesome and now fully supports variations with different SKU's. Well worth looking at.

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

I have been using wp e-commerce... The beta 3.81 RC4 (I think) is awesome and now fully supports variations with different SKU's. Well worth looking at.

I did evaluate it before going for Shopp - I forget the precise details, but there was something that Shopp did out of the box that WP e-Commerce wanted the premium upgrade for (edit: that we required). Also Shopp has an unlimited developer licence and WP e-Commerce's developer licence is for 3 sites. So long term Shopp is cheaper, as long as long term means you'll develop > 3 such sites (we have).

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
eShop would be worth adding to the list to at least look at. I've heard some good things about it from people that I consider Not Dumb.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Non Serviam posted:

I have not used this one myself but I've heard good things about xili: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/xili-language/

It's been recently updated and as far as I know, it works fine on WP 3.1.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

the kawaiiest posted:

I have not used this one myself but I've heard good things about xili: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/xili-language/

It's been recently updated and as far as I know, it works fine on WP 3.1.

Thank you very much for your suggestion! :)
However, The goon says that it's apparently very complex to configure, so he'll try another one he found.
First, my website is https://www.blitzkrieg.cl
I wanted to base the website on this type of site, https://www.collapse.cl , but we've (he's) had a hard time finding the right plugins. For instance, the image slider that we use looks horrible when it's loading. We haven't been able to find the "Boxes" either (how the front page is divided in smaller windows or boxes, etc.).

Any ideas? :(

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
I need some help finding a good theme.

I currently run https://www.thesavvybackpacker.com and I want to make a site about travel related ipod/android apps. I want to organize the apps into categories so I'm looking for a site with a clear categorical structure. I've been looking at themes but I'm having a hard time finding something that is simple and easy to navigate.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Omits-Bagels posted:

I currently run https://www.thesavvybackpacker.com and I want to make a site about travel related ipod/android apps. I want to organize the apps into categories so I'm looking for a site with a clear categorical structure. I've been looking at themes but I'm having a hard time finding something that is simple and easy to navigate.

I really like your layout, what theme and plugins are you using?

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

Quick question for those experienced with Wordpress; my site currently displays full posts when you first hit it.

I'd like to change this to Post Previews with the first 200 characters, but in doing so it strips any images nearby those first 200 characters, leaving the post pretty flat looking.

Is there any way to make sure the post preview doesn't exclude images? Google-fu is failing me on this one.

I'm using Mystique theme in case this is theme specific.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Omits-Bagels posted:

WordPress is built to do what you want. You just need to find a theme that works structurally the way you want it to look, and that has widgeted areas to pull in your category listings. Alternately you can go into the PHP and put in hooks to pull categories in about 10000 different ways as well.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Jadus posted:

Quick question for those experienced with Wordpress; my site currently displays full posts when you first hit it.

I'd like to change this to Post Previews with the first 200 characters, but in doing so it strips any images nearby those first 200 characters, leaving the post pretty flat looking.

Is there any way to make sure the post preview doesn't exclude images? Google-fu is failing me on this one.

Do you mean like the More tag or do you want it to specifically be in the Except section?

Wordpress strips image tags in the except like most tag, but there are a few plugins that used to work that would let you add whatever tags you wanted in the excerpt, but I don't know if they work with Wordpress 3.1

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/excerpt-editor/ is one

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

Tars Tarkas posted:

Do you mean like the More tag or do you want it to specifically be in the Except section?

Wordpress strips image tags in the except like most tag, but there are a few plugins that used to work that would let you add whatever tags you wanted in the excerpt, but I don't know if they work with Wordpress 3.1

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/excerpt-editor/ is one

Well, I've got a post that looks like this:

In my theme settings, I enable post previews:

Now my preview looks like this:

I'd like the image to appear in the post preview instead of being stripped out. I'll check out that Excerpt Editor, thanks!; hopefully it can auto-generate an excerpt for me.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Non Serviam posted:

Thank you very much for your suggestion! :)
However, The goon says that it's apparently very complex to configure, so he'll try another one he found.
First, my website is https://www.blitzkrieg.cl
I wanted to base the website on this type of site, https://www.collapse.cl , but we've (he's) had a hard time finding the right plugins. For instance, the image slider that we use looks horrible when it's loading. We haven't been able to find the "Boxes" either (how the front page is divided in smaller windows or boxes, etc.).

Any ideas? :(
Man, no idea at all. My guess is that you're looking at a custom theme that has the slider and other features built in. I'm not a Wordpress expert or anything, though, so I could be wrong.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Non Serviam posted:

I really like your layout, what theme and plugins are you using?

I'm using the Athemia Premium theme. I'm using a lot of plugins.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Jadus posted:

Does the theme support post thumbnails? If you use those with the_excerpt() to display the beginning of the post you can make things look nice.

yanca232
Nov 8, 2010
I have been working on a website that uses BuddyPress. Users can enter their information and I want to be able to hide some fields dynamically depending on what they choose in another field. Specifically, I want the users to be able to say that they have a 5 kids. If they have 5 kids, 5 age and 5 sex fields should show up.

I am using xprofile to create all of these fields and the kids section is in a separate profile field group. I know that the way to do this is probably creating a child theme that I can link to the javascript, but I don't know where to give the number of kids drop down the onchange attribute to call the js function that would change the visibility of the next fields. I know it is probably through the profile-loop.php file but I am having a hard time trying to figure out what everything does.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

This should be an easy one: I have post thumbnails/featured images on, but if I don't have a static homepage, how do I get Facebook to display my site logo instead of a random image it pulls from one of the post excerpts on the front page? I don't mind it posting the ones on the stories but if someone just links the main URL and not a story i'd like to display my logo.

EDIT: Or better yet, a set image (not the logo) since if I did set it to the logo it would be white on white and therefore look blank.

EDIT EDIT: Nevermind I fixed it, just added <link rel="image_src" href="IMAGE SOURCE" /> to the header.php.

Lareous fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 22, 2011

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
What is a good price on a custom wordpress theme?

I want something built from the ground up with some light jquery in it. There will be no graphic design element to this theme, it will be pure white on white functionality.

I just got quoted $1,500. Which includes 3 professional coders for 2.5 days and support for a year after the fact.

Any thoughts? I'm open to other offers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
What is the purpose of the site because that price seems ridiculous when you can usually find a suitable one on themeforest for a fraction of the price.