Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I just bought ModNation Racers and had the system download 3 patches for it. I guess game updates and Netflix are the exceptions to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Trico posted:

I'm wondering what could actually be taking so long to fix. I don't know much about network infrastructure and security beyond Networking 101, but it's got to be more than a simple DDoS attack for them to be down this long right? And for them to take down functionality worldwide? That's hosed up.

They stated there was an "intrusion" and that they have been down on purpose to conduct forensics.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/23/latest-update-for-psnqriocity-services/

quote:

We sincerely regret that PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have been suspended, and we are working around the clock to bring them both back online. Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security.

We thank you for your patience to date and ask for a little more while we move towards completion of this project. We will continue to give you updates as they become available.

Emphasis mine.

They are apparently rebuilding PSN from the ground up. I assume this means rebuilding the cluster and not "re-coding PSN from scratch". A smart move if they believe there was any backdooring put in place.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Martytoof posted:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/23/latest-update-for-psnqriocity-services/

Emphasis mine.

They are apparently rebuilding PSN from the ground up. I assume this means rebuilding the cluster and not "re-coding PSN from scratch". A smart move if they believe there was any backdooring put in place.

Maybe with the new system I will get faster than dial up speeds when downloading poo poo on PSN.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Biodome posted:

Maybe with the new system I will get faster than dial up speeds when downloading poo poo on PSN.

I've never had a problem downloading for the Psn the lowest speeds I've ever gotten from it is about 1 meg a second.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Yeah same here, I max out my download speed on the PSN and get stuff faster than I do off Xbox Live.

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears
The sun has finally been out, so I didn't even notice the network was down. I was going to watch NetFlix, but I can't get in. Sucks, but if this leads to a better PSN, I can wait. Wonder if we'll ever know what the exact cause was.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Da Chomptroller posted:

The sun has finally been out, so I didn't even notice the network was down. I was going to watch NetFlix, but I can't get in. Sucks, but if this leads to a better PSN, I can wait. Wonder if we'll ever know what the exact cause was.

Does it let you in if you keep trying to log in without cancelling? Different people have different experiences, but personally I've had no problem using netflix as long as I don't hit the circle to cancel a login attempt. If it tries to connect and fails, that's fine.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Da Chomptroller posted:

Martytoof posted:

Does it let you in if you keep trying to log in without cancelling? Different people have different experiences, but personally I've had no problem using netflix as long as I don't hit the circle to cancel a login attempt. If it tries to connect and fails, that's fine.

Yeah, I've been able to get into Netflix up until tonight. Time to dust off the Wii.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

MUFFlNS posted:

Yeah same here, I max out my download speed on the PSN and get stuff faster than I do off Xbox Live.

Lucky you, I top out downloading on my PC at 3-4 megs per second with FIOS, but it took me about 4 hours to download the 1.6ish gig Heavy Rain patch through PSN.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Time to dust off the Wii.

I literally had to do that today. There was so much dust collected on top of it all due to non-usage of it. :v:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So has there been any word from Sony about an ETA on when it's going to be back up, beyond the "maybe as along as a couple of days," which was three days ago?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

So has there been any word from Sony about an ETA on when it's going to be back up, beyond the "maybe as along as a couple of days," which was three days ago?

Link above. They are rebuilding something. Sounds like they were shown how massively inadequate their network security was by some hacker and it was bad enough to cause them to shut down and have to "rebuild" whatever that means. Just imagine that movie Hackers man!

TYPE COOKIE YOU IDIOT

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
This is just a perfect excuse to have some friends over for an evening of beer and Mortal Kombat, so I can't really complain.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

TheJoker138 posted:

It started as "Emergency downtime", went over to "Investigation" and now they say they're "rebuilding". This could mean that the original ETA was when they expected to be done with damage control and when they could potentially go online again if all was well, but at that point they learned they had to fix their entire system instead.

It could be offline for one or more weeks now considering the fact that they can't even give a rough estimate based on the progress their dudes have done so far.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

ProfessorClumsy posted:

This is just a perfect excuse to have some friends over for an evening of beer and Mortal Kombat, so I can't really complain.

We did the same here. MK brings everyone together. We did a couples tag team match tonight. My wife and I cleaned house.

Doc Cylon
May 5, 2010

This is John Crichton paging Doctor Cylon, pick up the phone imperious leader.
Argh, I turned my PS3 on this afternoon. Worked fine yesterday, now today it resets it's resolution and audio output (I have external speakers hooked up to it) every time I turn it on. Portal 2 launches with a big yellow triangle with a red exclamation mark in the middle, and when I go back to XMB the resolution is back to 567p (there or thereabout) from 1080p. System even thinks its running at 567p after I reset the res to 1080p. Tried the POP Collection and it just defaults back to 567p. What the hell is going on here?

Doc Cylon fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 24, 2011

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Doc Cylon posted:

Argh, I turned my PS3 on this afternoon. Worked fine yesterday, now today it resets it's resolution and audio output (I have external speakers hooked up to it) every time I turn it on. Portal 2 launches with a big yellow triangle with a red exclamation mark in the middle, and when I go back to XMB the resolution is back to 567p (there or thereabout) from 1080p. System even thinks its running at 567p after I reset the res to 1080p. Tried the POP Collection and it just defaults back to 567p. What the hell is going on here?

Sounds like a failure in either HDCP (HDMI) or autonegotiation (Component or HDMI). Unplug the mains from both devices (including receiver, if necessary) and the display cables from either end for a few minutes, plug it all back in, and try again.

If you do have a receiver, try a direct connection and see if it comes back.

Also 576p.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Behonkiss posted:

I just bought ModNation Racers and had the system download 3 patches for it. I guess game updates and Netflix are the exceptions to this.

Only 3 patches? I bought it yesterday and had to download 7, and it took almost 2 hours :smith:

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
It sucks when hackers break poo poo, but it's interesting that nobody is angry with Sony for not being prepared for "intrusions" like this and are instead frothing at the mouth over the attackers, whoever they are.

Shouldn't a gigantic multi-billion dollar company like Sony have better safeguards for stuff like this, whatever sort of intrusion it was? I mean, what the hell did they do so wrong that requires them to rebuild the PSN?

Doc Cylon
May 5, 2010

This is John Crichton paging Doctor Cylon, pick up the phone imperious leader.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Sounds like a failure in either HDCP (HDMI) or autonegotiation (Component or HDMI). Unplug the mains from both devices (including receiver, if necessary) and the display cables from either end for a few minutes, plug it all back in, and try again.

If you do have a receiver, try a direct connection and see if it comes back.

Also 576p.

Turns out it was the monitor. I switched out to my brothers LED TV and it worked fine. Conveniently, I'm buying a 42" LED TV tomorrow.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Drunk & Ugly posted:

It sucks when hackers break poo poo, but it's interesting that nobody is angry with Sony for not being prepared for "intrusions" like this and are instead frothing at the mouth over the attackers, whoever they are.

Shouldn't a gigantic multi-billion dollar company like Sony have better safeguards for stuff like this, whatever sort of intrusion it was? I mean, what the hell did they do so wrong that requires them to rebuild the PSN?

It's kind of like being angry at a bank for getting robbed.

Also, managed to complete Portal 2 coop the night PSN went down. But I still need my fancy hat from Demon's Souls.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

It's kind of like being angry at a bank for getting robbed.

Also, managed to complete Portal 2 coop the night PSN went down. But I still need my fancy hat from Demon's Souls.

Not a bank, a bank is a place to store wealth and accumulate it more.

A big company that deals with electronics/technology had a massive online portion of their gaming business get hacked and brought to its knees.

It is more like a gunshop getting robbed...twice, after watching several other gun shops get robbed over the years near you.

Anyways, I am not mad at them for it being down. I just wish they could try to throw out an estimate. Even if they acknowledge "This is probably never going to happen, but the goal is Monday!"

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

I'm not mad either, but I'm not really mad at the hackers either. People do bad poo poo, Sony has to take some responsibility for having created something that can be brought to its knees so easily.

If it's a bank, it's sure got a lovely vault.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Well, I am locked out of netflix now. Last night it asked for my login information (which it never does) and when I put it in and tried to watch a movie it told me there was an error with the PSN. Oh well.

SchwarzKreuz
Jun 25, 2003

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Well, I am locked out of netflix now. Last night it asked for my login information (which it never does) and when I put it in and tried to watch a movie it told me there was an error with the PSN. Oh well.

I was having the same issue but if you keep hitting circle to cancel it I managed to eventually bypass the PSN login thing and use netflix like normal.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Sigh, traded in the 360 yesterday and got a couple games, including COD BLOPS ...and I can't play it. Is it like a rule for online gaming services never to have their poo poo together?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

radiatinglines posted:

Sigh, traded in the 360 yesterday and got a couple games, including COD BLOPS ...and I can't play it. Is it like a rule for online gaming services never to have their poo poo together?

Nope, up until now PSN has been very stable and always works really well, at least for me but your milage will always vary with any online service. No one has the same experience.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I wouldn't mind it if they redid the UI.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

I said come in! posted:

Nope, up until now PSN has been very stable and always works really well, at least for me but your milage will always vary with any online service. No one has the same experience.

Its fine until you want to play a game with a friend... Although that is more than likely Treyarch being fags!

Can use iPlayer and stuff still so not totally useless at the moment.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I wouldn't mind it if they redid the UI.

I don't have a problem with the UI. It's actually a little more streamlined than the 360's eye candy interface which I can appreciate. What they need to do is give us a proper set of features IN that barebones UI. Like seriously, text chatrooms? Give us cross game voice chat already. This isn't rocket science.

PSN is and always has felt like Sony said "oh poo poo, Microsoft has Xbox Live, just throw some poo poo together so we can say we have an online service too".

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Martytoof posted:

I don't have a problem with the UI. It's actually a little more streamlined than the 360's eye candy interface which I can appreciate. What they need to do is give us a proper set of features IN that barebones UI. Like seriously, text chatrooms? Give us cross game voice chat already. This isn't rocket science.

PSN is and always has felt like Sony said "oh poo poo, Microsoft has Xbox Live, just throw some poo poo together so we can say we have an online service too".

I'm amazed at how good it is actually considering they are Japanese and Japanese people are retarded when it comes to the internet. Just look at Nintendo.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

El Hefe posted:

I'm amazed at how good it is actually considering they are Japanese and Japanese people are retarded when it comes to the internet. Just look at Nintendo.

Yeah holy god Nintendo sucks at doing online. That's why I'm not all that interested in them revealing a new console because chances are they will screw up the online again and negate whatever upgrades there are elsewhere.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Martytoof posted:

I remember years ago during the PS3's first two years there was a discussion in one of these threads about Sony's troubles intigrating cross game chat and other features like that and if I remember correctly it revolves around the fact that the PS3 doesn't have enough memory allocated for its oline services and Sony would have to enforce an online features requirement with game developers, things best implemented before the system's launch.

It's Sony's fault they weren't paying attention to what Microsoft was doing with the original Xbox, MS's test ground for XBL; and later the stuff MS did with the 360 with its one year head start. Big dumb move on Sony's part.

But I expect the PS4 to be built with online services in mind. Hopefully, Sony lets its American and European branchs handle its development.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
My PS3 inexplicably shut itself off just now and when I try and power it back on the light goes steady green for a few seconds, blinks amber once and then continuously blinks red. This sounds serious, anyone ever deal with this. This is the 1st generation 60GB model.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Martytoof posted:

I like the XMB, but the PSN store has kind of a poo poo interface. It loads very slowly, there's long delays when you can't press any buttons or move the cursor when you go forward or back sometimes, and there's no way to just go to a 'new demos' or 'new games' section without getting lots of other poo poo.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

big mean giraffe posted:

I like the XMB, but the PSN store has kind of a poo poo interface. It loads very slowly, there's long delays when you can't press any buttons or move the cursor when you go forward or back sometimes, and there's no way to just go to a 'new demos' or 'new games' section without getting lots of other poo poo.
Didn't they patch in a "demos" section recently?

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Browser kinda blows too. Has anybody gotten it to work for Daily Show or Colbert Report? For me it'll ask if I want to run the plugin and then just sit there. Youtube works, though...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

It also buzzes on my console.

I don't know why, but I go in the store there's a buzzing sound from my PS3. Literally from the PS3, as in it keeps going if I mute.

Exiting the store stops it immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Zero Star posted:

Didn't they patch in a "demos" section recently?

Yes, and when you go to "PS3 Demos" you can only sort alphabetically, no "new" or "all" section AFAIK. My only major gripe with the whole UI really is the PSN.

• Locked thread