Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Crap man, that looks a lot like a virus, most likely culprit being tobacco mosaic. :( There's a lot of good info on it here but long story short is the only surefire way to get rid of it is to rip out all the affected plants, and disinfect any tools, stakes or any other implements that may have touched the plants with a 10:1 water/bleach solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigdee4933
Jun 15, 2006
Bigdee4933

Marchegiana posted:

Crap man, that looks a lot like a virus, most likely culprit being tobacco mosaic. :( There's a lot of good info on it here but long story short is the only surefire way to get rid of it is to rip out all the affected plants, and disinfect any tools, stakes or any other implements that may have touched the plants with a 10:1 water/bleach solution.

What? In containers with a sterile medium? I doubt that.

It looks like your plants just got beat to poo poo by the wind.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Most likely source of contamination with a virus is actually either on the seeds themselves, or mechanical transfer (i.e. someone in a large greenhouse who transplants one seedling with the virus then goes on to infect every other seedling he touches that day). I've heard that tobacco mosaic can also be given to plants if you happen to smoke around them and the tobacco in your cigarette had the virus.

And that's more than just wind damage you're seeing on the pepper- there's definite chlorosis of the leaves and the new growth is coming in deformed. The tomato may or may not be affected- I see a lot of curled leaves that may be from wind damage, you'd really have to look at the other leaves to see if there's mosaic chlorosis on those.

Pluto
Apr 18, 2006

Weak.
Looked more like a mild fertilizer burn to me.

grumpy
Aug 30, 2004

Marchegiana posted:

Well drat, that's not good. The pepper plants were bought last week from Walmart and they looked great when I put them in the ground. This is my second batch of pepper plants since the first batch were obliterated during the windstorm.

I haven't added any fertilizer at all to any of the plants. The peppers are in this peat moss, and the tomatoes are in this potting mix along with some perlite.

I think I am going to replace the tomatoes today and keep a watch on the peppers for now. If the pepper plants are indeed suffering from something like tobacco mosaic I will implement a scorched earth policy out of sheer :argh: and apparent necessity.

Bigdee4933
Jun 15, 2006
Bigdee4933

grumpy posted:

I think I am going to replace the tomatoes today and keep a watch on the peppers for now. If the pepper plants are indeed suffering from something like tobacco mosaic I will implement a scorched earth policy out of sheer :argh: and apparent necessity.

Don't by plants from wal-mart. There will be a farmers market somewhere near you that will sell you higher quality plants cheaper than what you get at wal-mart. And you'll know that you are getting a good product because most of our customers are return buyers.

If you are that worried about it being a virus send some samples off to your county extension office. For example mine would be http://ces.ca.uky.edu/Warren/ . Tobacco Mosaic will get in the soil and stay there for 30 years. That's why you never build your high tunnels over an old tobacco field. Once you get it you're pretty much hosed unless you want to spend about 700 bucks on chemicals and nuke your yard.

But if you are in a residential area and you don't smoke or dip there is a million other things it is more likely to be. You can find out real quick by sending it to your extension office for test, or your extension officer could point you in the right direction.

Bigdee4933 fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 22, 2011

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Bigdee4933 posted:

Tobacco Mosaic will get in the soil and stay there for 30 years. That's why you never build your high tunnels over an old tobacco field. Once you get it you're pretty much hosed unless you want to spend about 700 bucks on chemicals and nuke your yard.

Goddamm! I don't smoke or dip anymore but I just re-quit again! Health affects are bad enough, but you wanna gently caress with my tomato sandwiches too? Oh hell no.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

grumpy posted:

OK guys, I need some help here. I am not sure what is going on with my bell pepper plants or tomatoes, hopefully someone here can help. I live in zone 7, the weather has been mild, but windy.

First up are the bell pepper plants. These guys have been in the ground 1 week as of today, they are in an 8" raised bed whose soil is made up of Peat Moss, Mushroom Compost, Manure, and Vermiculite. I have been watering them lightly every day.

And here are a couple shots of my tomatoes. These poor guys endured hellacious 50mph winds last week (nearly 24 hours) so I think they are just worn out. They are in Earthtainers and were doing quite well prior to the wind storm. I am considering just replacing them, but wanted another opinion, just in case there is something else going on with them that I could correct.

What has the temperature been like?
The leaves are burned either by fertilizer or by temperature. The plants are showing stress and it could be a million different reasons.
Id advise watering only when necessary (soil is dry beneath the surface) and then doing a thorough deep watering. Spaced out deep waterings are better than frequent light waterings
Id also advise not buying plants from big boxes. Their nursery suppliers are terrible and you're extremely likely to bring in pests or disease when you buy their plants. Buy from a local nursery that grows their own or buys from a nursery that is local

avan
Apr 26, 2010
So I went a bit mad today and decided to purchase some plants/trees. Heres the list:

Orange Tree
Lime Tree
Lemon Tree
Apple Tree
Banana Plant
Strawberry Plant
Tomato - Goliath
Tomato - Cherry
Tomato - Roma
Pepper - Green Bell
Pepper - Habanero
Pepper - Red Sweet
Thyme
Rosemary
Mint

They are all in individual pots indoors in a mylar lined tent with a 600w HPS light. I am planning on keeping everything indoors their entire life.

Any tips or anything cool like that? I am just so excited. Everything looks super healthy and super good.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If you want to get apples from that apple tree, you'll need another apple tree and not of the same type of apple. If it happens to be a granny smith apple, you'll need a golden delicious to go with it (I think thats the one, check to be sure though)

avan
Apr 26, 2010

Alterian posted:

If you want to get apples from that apple tree, you'll need another apple tree and not of the same type of apple. If it happens to be a granny smith apple, you'll need a golden delicious to go with it (I think thats the one, check to be sure though)

I know but that wont be for a few more years. Also I am planning on having it outside in the summer months once it grows up. ALSO I AM GOING TO BE KEEPING BEES.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
You're keeping an apple tree in a container? You'll want the biggest container you can find if so; 20 gallon minimum, half wine barrel would be better, in ground would be best.
Also in a banana friendly climate you may not get enough chill hours in the winter for good fruit production. Depends on cultivar though, there are low chill hour varieties like Pettingill, Golden Dorsett, Winter Banana, etc

edit: uh...inside? Why??

dwoloz fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 24, 2011

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Eh, apple trees have pretty blossoms even when you aren't getting apples... not exactly my first choice but I could possibly see it as a decorative tree. What made me :psyduck: was the concept of a growing a single strawberry plant.

So, I got 3 cubic yards of 50/50 topsoil/compost delivered today and I filled my raised garden with that, peat moss and vermiculite. My back is in so much pain. I've got a lot of the soil mix left, I'm considering making another raised garden somewhere in the yard but I Don't know where I'd put it yet.

Anubis fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 24, 2011

Pluto
Apr 18, 2006

Weak.

Anubis posted:

So, I got 3 cubic yards of 50/50 topsoil/compost delivered today and I filled my raised garden with that, peat moss and vermiculite. My back is in so much pain. I've got a lot of the soil mix left, I'm considering making another raised garden somewhere in the yard but I Don't know where I'd put it yet.

*Sigh* I was supposed to get a 50/50 mix last year when I ordered 20 cubic yards. I don't think that's what I really got. And it was super fun digging up bits of metal and broken glass this year.

Of course the only solution is to build another raised bed and haul out half the dirt and truck in pure compost (from another goddamn company). Like you I don't know where I'd put it though.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pluto posted:

*Sigh* I was supposed to get a 50/50 mix last year when I ordered 20 cubic yards. I don't think that's what I really got. And it was super fun digging up bits of metal and broken glass this year.

Of course the only solution is to build another raised bed and haul out half the dirt and truck in pure compost (from another goddamn company). Like you I don't know where I'd put it though.

Uck! That's pretty horrible. I did find one piece of metal (that actually ended up attached to my sock) but for the most part my only complaint with what I got is that it had a little too much clay imho. But that's kind of how all the soil in the area is so assuming they are pulling from local sources it would make sense.

How did the metal and glass get in there without you noticing? Did they dump it directly in the bed for you or what?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

avan posted:

I know but that wont be for a few more years. Also I am planning on having it outside in the summer months once it grows up. ALSO I AM GOING TO BE KEEPING BEES.

I have a hilarious view of you in my head around this time in a couple of years going "well, time for my yearly workout" and struggling to carry trees outside. How big is your indoor space? Do you have a huge solarium at the back of a Victorian mansion or something?

This week I made a raised bed to vertically expand my plot under the oak tree because the soil there is so hard to dig.
It turns out I am really really really poo poo at woodwork (this is its best angle, seriously)

Also we don't have enough compost to fill it.

But yay everything has germinated now and is happily starting life in the greenhouse. Except the butternut squash :confused:

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
My house was apparently built on the former site of a rusty nail and broken glass factory, because every time I dig up my topsoil to make a new bed I find shittons of the stuff. I'm not being facetious either- whenever I start digging I make sure I have a bucket to fill up with metal/glass/rocks I dig up and by the time I finish a 4' by 8' bed there's about 5 pounds of that poo poo in the bucket. So if you're getting topsoil that was taken from a subdivision like mine, that's why you're getting a fuckload of glass.

On a related note, make sure you're up to date on your tetanus vaccines. Gardeners have 5x the risk of contracting tetanus over the average population because we're always digging up poo poo like broken glass and rusty nails. Tetanus is usually bundled into the DTaP (Diptheria, Tetanus, acellular Pertussis) because all those vaccines only protect you for 10 years; so if you can't remember the last time you got stuck it's a good idea to get it done again.

Pluto
Apr 18, 2006

Weak.

Anubis posted:

How did the metal and glass get in there without you noticing? Did they dump it directly in the bed for you or what?

Yup, I have one big raised bed at the end of my driveway so it was easy to just back the trucks in and unload right into the bed. I didn't really notice how bad it was last year because we had a really rainy winter and it took forever for my soil to show up. By then my plants were overdue to go in the ground so I just threw them in. Needless to say they didn't do their best.

madlilnerd posted:

It turns out I am really really really poo poo at woodwork (this is its best angle, seriously)

I see you're not a carpenter but drat.

Marchegiana posted:

On a related note, make sure you're up to date on your tetanus vaccines. Gardeners have 5x the risk of contracting tetanus over the average population because we're always digging up poo poo like broken glass and rusty nails. Tetanus is usually bundled into the DTaP (Diptheria, Tetanus, acellular Pertussis) because all those vaccines only protect you for 10 years; so if you can't remember the last time you got stuck it's a good idea to get it done again.

Well lucky me, I sliced my finger down to the bone about four years ago and got a tetanus shot along with my stitches. BTW kids, bamboo can get razor sharp!

Pluto fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 24, 2011

avan
Apr 26, 2010
I have a decent space, but the lemon/lime/orange trees are mini ones that I am only going to let grow to about 4-5 feet. and the apple tree is just a wee baby at this point so I will cross that bridge when I get to it. The banana tree is gonna be about 5-6 feet tall which wont get that heavy.

The reason I only got one strawberry plant is because I am going to be using it as a mother to take many many clones from. and everything else I guess should be easy. woop woop.

does anyone know where I can get a sensitive plant?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Pluto posted:

I see you're not a carpenter but drat.

Well I want to get better but every time I go to practice my dad either laughs and pats me on the head or takes over the project and does everything for me! :mad:

avan posted:

does anyone know where I can get a sensitive plant?

Do you mean a mimosa? I grew one from a kit I got at a gift shop somewhere, it was labelled as a tickle plant. You should be able to get the seeds online. No idea where you can get plants from (apart from outside in Hawaii).

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hi, garden thread! I popped in last year, I think.

This year is 100% containers. My back is going wild these days, and turning topsoil that hasn't budged in 60 years sucks. The list this year - one plant apiece -

• cherry tomato
  • roma tomato
  • poblano pepper
  • habanero pepper
  • jalapeno pepper
  • banana pepper
  • lilac bell pepper
  • cayenne pepper
  • mexibell pepper
  • sweet basil
  • rosemary
  • greek oregano
  • chocolate mint
  • apple mint
  • ginger mint
  • lemon thyme
  • lemon balm
  • golden sage
  • pineapple sage
  • texas sweet onion
  • rhubarb
  • yukon gold potato
  • some crazy purple potato
  • catnip
  • sequoia strawberry
  • allstar strawberry

Planted between 4/16 and 4/22. I'm in NW Arkansas, 6b or 7a depending on who you talk to.

Containers are fun! We can move them out for sun, and then move them back in the carport when it rains hard.

No pics as of yet because they're all little bitty and we're in the middle of a 10 day drowning, pretty gloomy outside.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

madlilnerd posted:

I think you should put a little plaque on it that says "Built by the West of England School and College for Children with Little or No Sight"

The jeers will turn to cheers!

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
^better than I could do.
madlilnerd, I would be willing to let your dad come build/fix all my stuff so you can get practice.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

madlilnerd posted:

Thank you for making me feel better about my landscaping tie raised bed. I was feeling self conscious about how it looked because not all the ends are perfectly squared and lined up. Feeling loads better. :)

In a couple years you can always rip that out and build something a bit nicer, though. It's really not a big deal.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm going to be moving into a new apartment next week, and the back yard has a great section of land that gets full sun, maybe 20ft x 10ft, that the landlord set aside for me to start a garden. I'm in Buffalo, NY, so I'm pretty sure that I'm in zone 6a according to this map.

I was thinking of going with the square foot gardening method, using raised beds, as it seems like the least headache for the work overall. Are there any good beginners guides or tips that anyone can share to help me get started? I'm looking to plant mostly herbs(in pots, from what I've been reading. I don't want a whole patch filled with mint), with a few basic vegetables to help reduce costs at the grocery store. Things like mint, basil, sage, rosemary, oregano, bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, and maybe a couple of fruit bushes if I have the room.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

I was thinking of going with the square foot gardening method, using raised beds, as it seems like the least headache for the work overall. Are there any good beginners guides or tips that anyone can share to help me get started? I'm looking to plant mostly herbs(in pots, from what I've been reading. I don't want a whole patch filled with mint), with a few basic vegetables to help reduce costs at the grocery store. Things like mint, basil, sage, rosemary, oregano, bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, and maybe a couple of fruit bushes if I have the room.

Even less headache would be to throw everything in smart pots. I had great results with mine last year.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

neogeo0823 posted:

maybe a couple of fruit bushes if I have the room.

One thing to remember is that fruiting bushes/trees can take a while to start producing, so if you're not planning on renting that apartment longer term it's not the best investment. For blueberries, it could happen sooner, but it'd be reasonable to expect them to be in the ground 2 or 3 years before you start producing noticeable amounts of berries. You can increase your odds by babying them. Careful monitoring of pH, correct fertilization and pruning can do a lot for blueberries.

putang
Dec 19, 2005

Hello thread! I picked up a rosemary growing kit that was on sale at work a few weeks ago and decided to try my luck at germinating rosemary seeds. Everywhere I looked people were stating that there's a less than 50% chance on germinating rosemary, but oh well! I sowed the seeds on April 17 and yesterday I got one sprout! And I got four more today. I'm rather excited.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Check out my dirt

There's another window box off to the side. I need to get some plants. I'm thinking a tomato, or two if I can swing it, in the pots. Peppers up top. Then some basil, parsley, and cilantro.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
I haven't seen a generic landscaping thread, so I hope its kosher to ask this here:

I transplanted a rose bush from front to backyard, and at some point it lost all its leaves. It still appears to be alive, most of the individual branches appear at least somewhat green, and it keeps popping out little bud looking things that I keep thinking will be leaves but seem to just keep ending up as thorns. What the hell is going on, did I kill it? Is there anything I can do to resurrect it?

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Roses go dormant during the winter. When it's warm enough they'll wake up and push out new growth

Dormancy is an ideal time to transplant them by the way. Also a good time to do pruning

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade

dwoloz posted:

Roses go dormant during the winter. When it's warm enough they'll wake up and push out new growth

Dormancy is an ideal time to transplant them by the way. Also a good time to do pruning

yeah, I moved it during January. I'm just starting to get a bit concerned because literally every other thing that should have leaves at some point during the year has them already and my rose bush still doesn't. The neighbors have rose bushes (albeit apparently a different variety), and it has already started to bloom a bit.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Giblet Plus! posted:

Even less headache would be to throw everything in smart pots. I had great results with mine last year.

The more I think about it, the more I think I want to do this, instead of the raised bed gardening. I can move the plants around to get proper light, shield them from wind and rain easier, and move the smaller ones inside in the winter to keep them alive. I'll probably turn the large space outside into a deck then. I do plan on staying for quite a while, so I'm not worried about bushes taking a few years to grow.

So I saw some interesting seeds today. Bell peppers and tomatillos that grow to be purple were the most notable ones. There were a few others as well, but I'm having trouble remembering them all. I definately want to try making salsa verde(salsa morado?) with them.

Are there any real disadvantages to container gardening? I guess depth might be an issue, but you use less soil, less water, have far more control over it, control of the plants, number, size, health, etc.

noodlesinabag
Dec 25, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think I want to do this, instead of the raised bed gardening. I can move the plants around to get proper light, shield them from wind and rain easier, and move the smaller ones inside in the winter to keep them alive. I'll probably turn the large space outside into a deck then. I do plan on staying for quite a while, so I'm not worried about bushes taking a few years to grow.

So I saw some interesting seeds today. Bell peppers and tomatillos that grow to be purple were the most notable ones. There were a few others as well, but I'm having trouble remembering them all. I definately want to try making salsa verde(salsa morado?) with them.

Are there any real disadvantages to container gardening? I guess depth might be an issue, but you use less soil, less water, have far more control over it, control of the plants, number, size, health, etc.

Be careful about moving your containers around too much. I'm new to gardening this year and when I started growing stuf early this year, I had to bring some of my crops in (I'm doing 100% container gardening because I live in an apartment) at night because of the danger of frost. I started some other containers later in the season and the ones that didn't get moved much have definitely fared better. I think moving it around made the lettuce a bit leggy and the beets and radishes didn't like being moved AT ALL. The ones I left outside even through the frost fared much much better than the ones I brought in. I'm not sure how tomatoes and other bigger plants would be affected though.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

noodlesinabag posted:

Be careful about moving your containers around too much. I'm new to gardening this year and when I started growing stuf early this year, I had to bring some of my crops in (I'm doing 100% container gardening because I live in an apartment) at night because of the danger of frost. I started some other containers later in the season and the ones that didn't get moved much have definitely fared better. I think moving it around made the lettuce a bit leggy and the beets and radishes didn't like being moved AT ALL. The ones I left outside even through the frost fared much much better than the ones I brought in. I'm not sure how tomatoes and other bigger plants would be affected though.

Hmm, off hand, I would assume it might have something to do with the changes in temperature from outside to inside, but obviously I'm no expert. I'll definately keep it in mind though. What about starting the plants indoors in the pots, and then bringing them outside once they've germinated and been established a little bit? That should be fine, right?

I think we're through the last frost, but we're currently set to get a week of rain, and I'm going to hopefully be starting a job soon that's going to be primarily outside. Lovely.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

I didn't see any downsides, I had more plentiful crops (sweet 100s) than the people who were doing raised beds at the community garden. My plants were less crowded because I left space around each pot, instead of cramming everything into a raised bed. The fabric pots made it easy to check the moisture content of the soil, because you can just reach a hand in between the fabric and the soil and feel it. My only problem was my tomato cages kept falling over - this season I will use tent spikes to tie them into the ground below the pots.

I recommend setting the smart pots directly on the ground, if possible. That way, the soil in the pots will couple to the soil in the ground, and extend the "water table" available to your plants. Also, if your plants get huge, the roots might even grow into the ground below them.

Giblet Plus! fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 26, 2011

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

noodlesinabag posted:

my opinion - starting them too soon caused them to be leggy, not the moving them inside and outside

Bigdee4933
Jun 15, 2006
Bigdee4933

neogeo0823 posted:

The space for the roots to grow is the big issue. But you can select cultivars that will work well in containers. For tomatoes, Bush Goliaths grow really well in small containers.

Here are some ideas.

Global buckets (god these kids are boring)
http://youtu.be/lE8OrdUZQKk

EarthBox
http://youtu.be/c_fJ25Mubck

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Thanks thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
That's a happy little garden!