Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone have ridiculous freezing problems with their epic? I'd get occasional restarts, or forced battery swaps but recently it's been happening more frequently. My phone will sometimes just go dead. Sometimes it buzzes once, then three times, and will repeat that for however long it wants before it restarts or I yank the battery out. It does this at least 6-10 times daily, and every time something goes wrong I have to crack it open and pop the battery in/out.

Anyone know what's wrong? I'm finally going to the sprint store tomorrow but I doubt if they'll be able to tell me anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
I have a quick question for you guys. I upgraded to an EVO 4G a few months back and ever since it went live I can't access CNN from my phone. It's not exactly a huge deal, but the vision.sprintpcs.com homepage contains links to CNN articles. Does anyone else have this problem?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

general chaos posted:

There are no plans for a new phone with dual GSM/CDMA radios in the near future, correct? I'm not too keen on saddling myself into a contract with the extremely outdated Touch Pro 2 or Blackberry offerings.

I was previously under the assumption that the Nexus S 4G would retain it's GSM capabilities.

Not so fast my friend:

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/15/htc-mazaa-spotted-running-windows-phone-headed-to-sprint/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That'll be cool.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Any news on the expected battery life for the EVO 3D? Am I right in assuming it'll be worse than the EVO? I am currently using a Samsung Moment and when I use applications like Meebo I can use it for maybe 3-4 hours before the battery drains itself to the red bar. Games and streaming movies are out of the question. Have they addressed the battery life issue with the newer phones like the Evo Shift and Samsung Epic? Or is a short battery life just part of the smart phone experience? If it came down to it, I reckon I can buy an extra set of batteries but I'm eligible for an upgrade and will be waiting for the new google phone to see if it's any better.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Bioshuffle posted:

Any news on the expected battery life for the EVO 3D? Am I right in assuming it'll be worse than the EVO? I am currently using a Samsung Moment and when I use applications like Meebo I can use it for maybe 3-4 hours before the battery drains itself to the red bar. Games and streaming movies are out of the question. Have they addressed the battery life issue with the newer phones like the Evo Shift and Samsung Epic? Or is a short battery life just part of the smart phone experience? If it came down to it, I reckon I can buy an extra set of batteries but I'm eligible for an upgrade and will be waiting for the new google phone to see if it's any better.

In theory, it should be better.

The new dual-core processors are built on a smaller process, which makes them more power efficient, and since a dual-core processor can finish what it's doing faster and then scale down it's voltage quicker (and core-independently), this should mean better power efficency.

That said, I have no experience with Meebo...but any service that is constantly polling for new information will murder your battery. See if Meebo has a C2DM (push) option, or switch to a IM client that does (i.e. Trillian. I think IMO has C2DM too).

I can stream several 30 minute episodes of various TV shows to my EVO using PlayOn, and only eat about 8%-10% of my battery per 30 minutes.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
EDIT: Nevermind, less angry than I was at the time I posted this.

Technogeek fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 25, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Just did Sprint employee training on some product called the Motorola Xoom with WiFi... :)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My daughter needs a new phone (her Palm Pre died). I am shocked to see that Amazon still has the Arrive for $50 while Sprint has it for $199. I was going to get her a Shift but the Arrive for $50 might be too good of a deal.

Edit: That is $50 is you are a new customer ($140 upgrade). Tease!!!

Amazon does have the Epic 4G for $89 if you upgrade. I know the Epic gets some hate but for a 12 year girl who just wants a Android phone wouldn't it work? Did it ever upgrade to 2.2? Or should I just spend another $60 and get the Shift for her?

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 25, 2011

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Anyone ever replaced the lens cover on their Evo? Mine has been cracked for months and dust has been collecting underneath, so all my pictures look like poo poo.

I'm looking at this, hoping I'll be able to replace it. Any reason why it shouldn't work?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

nate fisher posted:

My daughter needs a new phone (her Palm Pre died). I am shocked to see that Amazon still has the Arrive for $50 while Sprint has it for $199. I was going to get her a Shift but the Arrive for $50 might be too good of a deal.

Amazon does have the Epic 4G for $89 if you upgrade. I know the Epic gets some hate but for a 12 year girl who just wants a Android phone wouldn't it work? Did it ever upgrade to 2.2? Or should I just spend another $60 and get the Shift for her?

For a 12 year old girl? How about a phone that might not get her mugged, like an LG Optimus S?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Personally I would still spend the extra $60, gently caress Samsung. But for a 12 year old any would be fine. I do kinda agree with Mr. Moore though, a LG Optimus would be free off Sprint.com (I think anyway) and would be way more than enough.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

So...just got my invite to integrate Google Voice with Sprint.

I chose Option #2: "Replace your Sprint number with your Google Voice number (all the benefits of the app without the need for one). In this case, all calls made from your Sprint phone will display your Google Voice # natively (same for SMS)."

What ends up happening is this: ALL SMS-based messages (including Short-Codes for Twitter & Facebook) end up in my Google Voice app (I prefer the GV app over Stock Messaging or Handcent...but you can choose to use the Stock Messaging app if you want...).

If someone texts my Sprint Number, it automatically ends up in my GV App. No matter which app I reply from (GV or Stock Messaging) it displays my GV Number.

If someone texts my GV Number, I can have it show up in ONLY the GV App, or the GV App AND the Stock Messaging app (Same as before)

If someone calls my Sprint number, it still rings all of my forwarding phones (and GTalk!)

If someone calls my GV Number, it acts the same as it always did (though my understanding is that Sprint is directly routing the calls now, which should result in higher call-quality).

Obviously all Voicemail is handled by Google Voice, and shows up in the GV App.

The only remaining question I have left is for Sprint-people: I'm not going to lose my Sprint Number, right? They have to keep that number associated with my ESN in order to actually make my phone work, right?

All in all...pretty cool stuff.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'm thinking about what to do, and I have an idea. I think I can create a new Google account devoted specifically for my current Google Voice number, which I use for work. I can then use the form linked earlier to transfer that Voice number to the new account.

This frees up my main account for me to convert my Sprint number to a Google Voice number, which is what I ultimately want. And since I keep my existing Voice number on a different account, I can still have it redirect to my Sprint number (90% of my use for my work number is incoming calls, so that wouldn't change). I'd lose the ability to access the work account through the Voice app on the phone, but that's okay as long as people can still call it and reach me.

That should work, right?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

brc64 posted:

I'm thinking about what to do, and I have an idea. I think I can create a new Google account devoted specifically for my current Google Voice number, which I use for work. I can then use the form linked earlier to transfer that Voice number to the new account.

This frees up my main account for me to convert my Sprint number to a Google Voice number, which is what I ultimately want. And since I keep my existing Voice number on a different account, I can still have it redirect to my Sprint number (90% of my use for my work number is incoming calls, so that wouldn't change). I'd lose the ability to access the work account through the Voice app on the phone, but that's okay as long as people can still call it and reach me.

That should work, right?

I don't see why not.

Then again, using "Option 2" - all of my friends can still call my Sprint number...but when I call them back it appears from my 206 number. My understanding is that Sprint will now count these as Mobile-to-Mobile minutes as well. So, I really have no reason to worry about my existing Sprint number, and my friends can/will just update their address books accordingly.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Ozmodiar posted:

If someone texts my GV Number, I can have it show up in ONLY the GV App, or the GV App AND the Stock Messaging app (Same as before)

How do you set it to only use the GV app, or is that only a feature for option 2?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

chemosh6969 posted:

How do you set it to only use the GV app, or is that only a feature for option 2?

Honestly, I'm not really sure. I would assume if you turn off Text forwarding in the GV Options it would stop, but I've never looked into it.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Ozmodiar posted:

Honestly, I'm not really sure. I would assume if you turn off Text forwarding in the GV Options it would stop, but I've never looked into it.

I tried that last week and it stops them from going to the phone while they show up on the site.

The messaging deal is my only real issue so far.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

chemosh6969 posted:

I tried that last week and it stops them from going to the phone while they show up on the site.

The messaging deal is my only real issue so far.

Aside from just turning off notifications in the Stock Messaging app then, I have no idea.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Ozmodiar posted:

Aside from just turning off notifications in the Stock Messaging app then, I have no idea.

That's what I ended up doing except then I never know when I get MMS.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

chemosh6969 posted:

That's what I ended up doing except then I never know when I get MMS.

I'm confused. What are you trying to do again?

If you don't want it to send actual "normal" text messages to your cell phone and just send GV app text messages, then just turn off "receive text messages on this phone" in the options.

It works dandy.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Jensen posted:

I'm confused. What are you trying to do again?

If you don't want it to send actual "normal" text messages to your cell phone and just send GV app text messages, then just turn off "receive text messages on this phone" in the options.

It works dandy.

What the hell? I swear that didn't work before the integration.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Does anyone know if GV SMSs are more reliable? I'm curious if using GV will decrease the amount of lost SMSs or delayed ones.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Ozmodiar posted:

I don't see why not.

Then again, using "Option 2" - all of my friends can still call my Sprint number...but when I call them back it appears from my 206 number. My understanding is that Sprint will now count these as Mobile-to-Mobile minutes as well. So, I really have no reason to worry about my existing Sprint number, and my friends can/will just update their address books accordingly.

That wouldn't be ideal for me, since I don't want my work number showing up for everybody I call.

Drevoak posted:

Does anyone know if GV SMSs are more reliable? I'm curious if using GV will decrease the amount of lost SMSs or delayed ones.
I'm curious about this, too. I have notifications disabled on the Voice app and my account set to forward text messages to my Sprint number because I would frequently get huge delays in notification on new texts with Voice. So much so that I could not rely on it (it is, after all, my work number). I'm curious if things have gotten better.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Best Buy's site has a date of May 8 for the Nexus S 4G.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Best Buy's site has a date of May 8 for the Nexus S 4G.

I just got the e-mail saying May 8.
I also saw this thread stating that Sprint is reducing 3G coverage.
http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/281992#281992

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
So when Google Voice support rolls out, you can only choose between switching your current GV number to your cell number, or vice versa? And whichever number you *don't* pick is instantly disconnected?

I'd be down with switching my cell number to GV, but not if my current number immediately vanishes. I have a few resumes out in the wild, so potentially losing a job over the GV switch is obviously a no go.

On the other hand, I don't want to lose my launch day GV number by switching everything to Sprint. I was a Grand Central member way back in the day before Google bought them and turned it into GV and my number is pretty swank.

first world problems, I guess

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

god this blows posted:

I just got the e-mail saying May 8.
I also saw this thread stating that Sprint is reducing 3G coverage.
http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/281992#281992

If you'll notice, there's a pretty big post on page 2 explaning the change (also that first map is really old) - basically it was due to a "free" two-way roaming agreement between Alltel and Sprint back in like 2006, but Verizon bought Alltel then divested some of its holdings (in the areas that have become grey) to AT&T. AT&T could have either a) charged Sprint exorbitant roaming fees to use these towers or b) just turned off CDMA altogether, and it looks like if AT&T didn't turn off CDMA, Sprint wasn't willing to pay the fees AT&T was planning on charging for cell-site colocation.

At least, that's what my understanding from the thread is. Pretty lovely but not really much Sprint could do there except get hosed in the rear end by AT&T (a common theme when they are involved it seems like).

I think that could possibly change with the FCC ruling on fair roaming prices, but I'm not really all that read-up on this so I don't know for sure.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Leathal posted:

So when Google Voice support rolls out, you can only choose between switching your current GV number to your cell number, or vice versa? And whichever number you *don't* pick is instantly disconnected?

I'd be down with switching my cell number to GV, but not if my current number immediately vanishes. I have a few resumes out in the wild, so potentially losing a job over the GV switch is obviously a no go.

On the other hand, I don't want to lose my launch day GV number by switching everything to Sprint. I was a Grand Central member way back in the day before Google bought them and turned it into GV and my number is pretty swank.

first world problems, I guess

There needs to be a chart or something to better explain this, I think.

If you do Voice->Sprint, the calls and texts you make from your Sprint phone (regardless of whether you have the Voice app installed; it can even be a dumbphone) will show up as your Voice number. Presumably your Sprint number stays around, and people can still call that as well, but your outgoing stuff will no longer show that number, so it becomes less useful.

If you do Sprint->Voice, you basically port your Sprint number to Google Voice. If you already have a Voice number on that Google account, it will be deactivated after 90 days (I'm really unclear on what happens in the mean time). Other than that, all calls made to your Sprint number are handled by Google Voice, with the exception of MMS messages, which are magically directed to the standard messaging app on the phone.

Is that any clearer?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's April 26, how do I switch?:(

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

brc64 posted:

There needs to be a chart or something to better explain this, I think.

If you do Voice->Sprint, the calls and texts you make from your Sprint phone (regardless of whether you have the Voice app installed; it can even be a dumbphone) will show up as your Voice number. Presumably your Sprint number stays around, and people can still call that as well, but your outgoing stuff will no longer show that number, so it becomes less useful.

If you do Sprint->Voice, you basically port your Sprint number to Google Voice. If you already have a Voice number on that Google account, it will be deactivated after 90 days (I'm really unclear on what happens in the mean time). Other than that, all calls made to your Sprint number are handled by Google Voice, with the exception of MMS messages, which are magically directed to the standard messaging app on the phone.

Is that any clearer?

Yeah, that's much clearer. So Voice->Sprint seems to be the way to go, provided the Sprint number does in fact stay around for incoming calls and texts.

Thanks for the explanation.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Alman posted:

I think that could possibly change with the FCC ruling on fair roaming prices, but I'm not really all that read-up on this so I don't know for sure.

Absolutely it would, that's why Verizon opposes it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Can someone explain to me the point of using Google Voice? I mean...what's so great about having my calls, voicemails, and SMS go into a different app rather than the native one on my phone?

I can see a use for having GV if you want to have two phone numbers, say one personal one business, or something...but I have no need for that, and it seems that with this integration dealie, that would go away and you'd only have one number (either your current Sprint #, or a GV number (if you already have a GV #, do you have to use that one, or can you make a new one?)

Edit: Holy crap, I just saw that Sprint reduced services map...I think I might get totally F-ed in the A...if I lose, say, 3G coverage, is that sufficient grounds to terminate my contract early with no fee? I mean, I'm paying for 3G (Hell, I'm paying for 4G for that matter, and I can't use that at all where I am,) but when the coverage changes and I can't get 3G or any location specific services and I'm stuck with nothing but voice and SMS, that's not cool.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 26, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Can someone explain to me the point of using Google Voice? I mean...what's so great about having my calls, voicemails, and SMS go into a different app rather than the native one on my phone?
It's way more than that. You can control so many different things through Google Voice. Here are some examples:

You can specify multiple phone numbers to ring when somebody calls your number, and set these based on conditions (like, for example, if somebody calls your number between 8-5 M-F, have it ring your phone and your work number).

You can block callers in a way that gives them a disconnected sound when they try to call you.

You can set up custom voicemail greetings based on who calls you.

You can require callers who are not in your contacts list to say who they are before accepting the call.

All your history is stored, searchable, online.

Lots more.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Responding to texts and listening to voicemails on the computer rules.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
We moved a while back and have been getting 0-2 bars, vanishing text messages and calls going to voicemail.

I called sprint retentions today, they picked up before it even rang which was a bit weird, the guy immediately offered to send out an airvana for $0.

Thanks, thread!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

sanchez posted:

We moved a while back and have been getting 0-2 bars, vanishing text messages and calls going to voicemail.

I called sprint retentions today, they picked up before it even rang which was a bit weird, the guy immediately offered to send out an airvana for $0.

Thanks, thread!

I wonder if they will do this for your job location. My 3G coverage at work has just turned awful. Something has changed in the last month. I original thought it was CM7 but now I can't keep 3G coverage on any ROM. Sucks because a month or so ago I had no issues.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I wonder if they will do this for your job location. My 3G coverage at work is just awful.

Tell them it's for your house, as long as you can get it online somehow I can't see a problem.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

CharlesM posted:

It's April 26, how do I switch?:(

Yeah, I thought the switch was today too? I just tried the port option on GV and it's still showing it costs $20...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Wow I just found the Epic 4G for $50 if you upgrade using the Radio Shack web site. I never thought I would buy anything Samsung (outside of the Nexus S), but this might be too good of a deal for my daughter.

Oh 12 year old with a Epic 4G? Crap my daughter's friends are rocking EVOs, iPhones, etc.