Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
I don't know if anyone will be able to explain this to me but how do sales taxes work on the PSN ?

I'm asking because I was not charged any taxes when I bought FF4 today but I definitely was when I got FF8 two months ago and FF7 before that too.

I did not move between purchases so location can't explain it. I'm pretty sure taxes still apply to video games in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
The PSP Go is dead.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/20/confirmed-the-psp-go-is-no-more/

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

Death Priest posted:

I don't know if anyone will be able to explain this to me but how do sales taxes work on the PSN ?

I'm asking because I was not charged any taxes when I bought FF4 today but I definitely was when I got FF8 two months ago and FF7 before that too.

I did not move between purchases so location can't explain it. I'm pretty sure taxes still apply to video games in Canada.

I looked at the store just now and tried checking out FFIV and then a bunch of other stuff to test it out. The tax always showed up as $0.00 so either the store is broke or there's no longer any tax on the (Canadian) PSN store.

Which is weird, like you mentioned, because I live in Alberta and I've been getting taxed 5% forever.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

JamesKPolk posted:

What makes this game so cool? I played an hour of it and couldn't really get into it, and just never kept going. But I really don't know anything about it other than that a bunch of people like it so I'm assuming I'm missing something key.

The characters are all endearing, it has some decent tight arpgness and interesting mechanics. If its not your cup of tea its not really.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
Also for Threads of Fate, the dude's puzzles and stuff in the levels are often way more annoying than the chick's.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
yeah rue was a pain in the rear end to play as but he had a great story.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
Using Media Go on my PC is the only way I can access my US PSN account for my PSP, is the server down? I haven't checked it for a few months and now I keep getting the screen saying "An error occurred during communication with the server."

It was fine the last time I used it months ago, I hope the new version of MEdia Go didn't gently caress everything up for me.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

bubblegumbo0 posted:

Using Media Go on my PC is the only way I can access my US PSN account for my PSP, is the server down? I haven't checked it for a few months and now I keep getting the screen saying "An error occurred during communication with the server."

It was fine the last time I used it months ago, I hope the new version of MEdia Go didn't gently caress everything up for me.

The entire PSN is down right now, something going on in Japan.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I thought 4chan was hacking them because of Geohot.

Heartzbane
Apr 8, 2009
Edit: N/M; I fixed it the good old fashion way -- by banging my DS3 hard a few times against the table...

Hey guys,

I just got a PSP-Go and I'm loving it so far except for one problem: for some reason my DS3 paired with PSP-Go does not work properly-- it keep on thinking the shoulder R button is always pressed. The same controller works perfectly on my PS3. Any idea what's causing it?

I tried restarting / turning the system on and off as well as deleting my blue tooth settings and re-pairing the DS3 with the PSP-Go.

If it matters, I'm on 6.35. Thanks in advance for help.

Heartzbane fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 23, 2011

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

redreader posted:

I thought 4chan was hacking them because of Geohot.

Anonymous is denying after they stopped that the last time. Sounds like someone is hacking them, though.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Wow, the way the PSP 2000 handles low battery situations is complete arse.

"HEY YOUR BATTERY IS ALMOST EMPTY! WHAT, YOU WANTED TO SAVE? TOO LATE, ALREADY CLOSED YOUR GAME!"

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Uh, I dunno about you, but my PSP just auto-standbys when battery reaches critical. So if that happens, just go find some power source, go back out of standby, and save/continue playing/whatever.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Uh, I dunno about you, but my PSP just auto-standbys when battery reaches critical. So if that happens, just go find some power source, go back out of standby, and save/continue playing/whatever.

When it happened it just showed me the grey menu screen i usually get with the home button and a blinking empty battery. It didn't seem to do anything else so i hit the power button and pocketed the thing. When i plugged it back in at home and powered it up again i was back at the os menu with my background image.

I didn't touch anything else at all.

If putting it into standby at that time actually worked, then i can only guess it ran out of standby power over the rest of the day, in which case its handling is still arse, because there's no way to set the battery alert to a different percentage.

Mind this was the first time i ever actually saw it. I'm used to the DS' way of doing it which means switching the power light to a noticable red at 5% battery or so and not doing *anything* else. This means the system doesn't gently caress with your poo poo and leaves you plenty time to do whatever.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
When the battery reaches a critical level the light starts flashing, and what probably happened is you overrode the auto-sleep when you hit the power button so it shut all the way off. When that flashing battery screen pops up it's going into sleep mode and should have enough charge for you to get to a place you can plug it in.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006
So, is there a comprehensive list anywhere of what games are and are not available on PSN vs. UMD only? I picked up a PSP last week (wonderful timing), and generally I prefer to purchase my games digitally, so I've been holding off on buying any games for it.

In the mean time though, I'm considering picking up a couple of UMDs, but I'd rather not get a UMD version of a game if I can buy the digital version when PSN comes back and be assured of backwards compatibility later on. It seems like there's no easy way to tell whether a game is available on PSN or not. The wikipedia page doesn't appear comphrehensive - there are games that I am pretty sure are available for download that aren't on the list there.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

NJ Deac posted:

So, is there a comprehensive list anywhere of what games are and are not available on PSN vs. UMD only? I picked up a PSP last week (wonderful timing), and generally I prefer to purchase my games digitally, so I've been holding off on buying any games for it.

In the mean time though, I'm considering picking up a couple of UMDs, but I'd rather not get a UMD version of a game if I can buy the digital version when PSN comes back and be assured of backwards compatibility later on. It seems like there's no easy way to tell whether a game is available on PSN or not. The wikipedia page doesn't appear comphrehensive - there are games that I am pretty sure are available for download that aren't on the list there.

Yeah no one really seems to actually both updating the American side of that giant chart, just Euro/Japan.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

If you have a few games you're curious about just post about 'em and someone should know. The PSN is down right now, but when it's back up it will be easier to know for sure.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Even going through the games list on the Playstation website doesn't clear that problem up. Games you can get off the PSN have a "download to your PSP" link next to them, but they didn't bother to do this for all of them. Stupid.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I don't know why Sony America didn't just make something incredibly convenient for that sort of thing like Sony Japan and Asia do.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Could be that the PSP in the US has never been the juggernaut it is in Japan and they just don't care that much. I know the EU fares even worse when it comes to the PSN. I have a seperate US account to download half the poo poo I want.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Policenaut posted:

I don't know why Sony America didn't just make something incredibly convenient for that sort of thing like Sony Japan and Asia do.

That would require Sony America to be competent in any way whatsoever and we all know how opposed they are to the notion of that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I mean, Sony Japan has this gigantic website solely dedicated to listing the stuff they sell digitally and its incredibly useful. They can't do that?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
When PSN comes back up, will we be able to download the things we bought beforehand? I had used my 2012 coupon that came with my psp and downloaded it. Then I reformatted my computer. And now I can't download anything from PSN...

It doesn't matter that much to me because I heard 2012 was a lovely movie.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

GoldenNugget posted:

When PSN comes back up, will we be able to download the things we bought beforehand? I had used my 2012 coupon that came with my psp and downloaded it. Then I reformatted my computer. And now I can't download anything from PSN...

It doesn't matter that much to me because I heard 2012 was a lovely movie.

Yes. Everything tied to your account should still be there. As far as I know there's been no data loss, just downtime from the attacks.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I think videos are only one time downloads. Games are as many times as you need.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
I've heard the rumors and whatnot about the attacks made to the network, which is why it's down. Can anyone elaborate on exactly what was going on? (or have a link to some decent source) I miss the PSN :(

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

smallmouth posted:

I think videos are only one time downloads. Games are as many times as you need.

That kind of blows. I'll try to argue with them through e-mail or something and tell them it sucks and I won't use their service again.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

frosteh posted:

I've heard the rumors and whatnot about the attacks made to the network, which is why it's down. Can anyone elaborate on exactly what was going on? (or have a link to some decent source) I miss the PSN :(

Basically, a custom firmware was released on the PS3 that allowed dev access. This dev access extended to the PSN, and they found out that using fake credit card numbers is a-okay on the dev network, because its not authorized at all. Cue up a bunch of people pirating like mad on the PSN until Sony saw and took the network down.

Or something, I really don't know... I know I can equally blame 4chan for being a bunch of pieces of poo poo if Anonymous is really behind this.

edit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3407574

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

This has probably been posted in the other threads, but I'm going to throw it in here as well:
PSN account names and passwords have been compromised, Possibly CC details, too.
When it goes back up, change your passwords and recovery questions, and keep your eyes on your Credit Card statements just in case.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
Luckily, PSN started rejecting my CC information randomly (I didn't change a thing) and it was impossible to get it to work again. Shoddy customer service pays off.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Luckily, PSN started rejecting my CC information randomly (I didn't change a thing) and it was impossible to get it to work again. Shoddy customer service pays off.

Hey, me too. I hope since I used PSN cards the last couple times there isn't any info left on there.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I received my PSP Go today.
Perfect timing. :allears:

Doorselfin
Dec 18, 2004

You broke my sitar, motherfucker.
Gosh darn it, I promised I would finished my UMD version of Gitaroo Man on my new PSP-3000 until I splurged on some games on PSN :cry:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

When the battery reaches a critical level the light starts flashing, and what probably happened is you overrode the auto-sleep when you hit the power button so it shut all the way off. When that flashing battery screen pops up it's going into sleep mode and should have enough charge for you to get to a place you can plug it in.
Yeah, had the power run out today again and let it do its thing and it came back up fine.

I still think it's pretty awesomely retarded that hitting the power button in that situation would make it gently caress up like that.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I've had a PSP fat since launch and I have been quite out of the loop, then I learned they remade Final Fantasy IV for it, and well, here I am.

I have a few questions, however.

FF4 is for PSP only, right? I know there's some PSP games you can play on the PS3 (or something) but this is not one of those titles, correct?

FF6 is coming out as a PSN download, right? This means it will work on a PS3, a PSP, and PSP Go? Is this correct? Is this supposed to be basically an emulator (Popstation) of the (terrible) PSX port? Or is this getting any decent treatment like FF4 got?

Can anyone recommend a good quality anti-glare/matte faceplate for the PSP fat? I bought one on eBay and while it's great not having blistering reflections in my face, the build quality is rear end. Didn't know if there's a standard goon-approved one anywhere.

And this PSPGo discontinuation talk has got me considering picking one up when the price inevitably drops. I stayed away from it because supposedly the screen is poor on it, with some serious interlacing issues which are even more apparent in 2-d games. Did this ever get corrected with later models? How is the refresh rate? I know this question is a bit spergy but the original PSP screen's refresh rate is so slow that I can't enjoy emulators on it (which begs the next question; is homebrew on the Go even moderately decent?).

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Hamburglar posted:

FF4 is for PSP only, right? I know there's some PSP games you can play on the PS3 (or something) but this is not one of those titles, correct?

FF6 is coming out as a PSN download, right? This means it will work on a PS3, a PSP, and PSP Go? Is this correct? Is this supposed to be basically an emulator (Popstation) of the (terrible) PSX port? Or is this getting any decent treatment like FF4 got?

FF4 is PSP only. As for FF6, it's believed it's going to be a port of the PS1 version, so yeah, it should work on all the systems.

Heartzbane
Apr 8, 2009
Guys, I'm having some weird problem with my PSP Go.

I just bought a cradle and a power adapter so I can charge my PSP Go while playing on the TV using the AV cable. For some reason, once I plug in the power adapter into the cradle, the image on the TV shows this huge scanline moving slowly from the bottom to top of the screen. Once I unplug the power, the scanlines disappear.

Do you have any idea if I should get the cradle or power adapter or both exchanged? I bought them both online so I'm hoping to minimize the exchanges I have to do. Thanks.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Details on the PSN coming back here!

Looks like multiplayer stuff's going online first, and for some loving reason playstation home is going back on before friends. :wtc:

As for what everybody's getting for when poo poo comes back:

quote:

Central components of the “Welcome Back” program will include:
  • Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
  • All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
  • Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.

God knows I'll probably load up on stuff with the psn+ month. I don't think a hard date was set, but I'm curious to see when everything will go live again. Just in time, too, since I finally moved to a place where I can use my PSP over wifi. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm hoping for Thursday, the day after my last term paper is due.

• Locked thread