Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Seems like things have gone quiet in Misarata, giving them chance to unload some aid and evacuate another 1000 foreign workers from the port.

quote:

NATO‘s targets on the 26th of April.
In vicinity of Misurata: 6 military vehicles, 7 technical vehicles and 1 surface-to-air missile launcher.

In the vicinity of Al-Khums: 4 Tanks; 2 Heavy Equipment Transporter trucks.

In the vicinity of Brega: 1 rocket launchers; 3 military vehicles.

In the vicinity of Mizdah: 8 ammunition bunkers.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Cable Guy posted:

The report you quoted had a correction added:

Wouldn't surprise me if it was vetoed in the Security Council before it got to the Assembly... wouldn't surprise me at all.

An application for membership to the UN does require a recommendation from the Security Council, which will definitely be vetoed by the US, however the General Assembly can vote on a resolution recognizing the sovereignty and independence of Palestine without actually offering it UN membership without the involvement of the Security Council. Whether that's the route the Palestinians are planning on taking I don't know but it's a distinct possibility that would have many of the same consequences as them actually becoming a member state without running the risk of a US veto.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

stereobreadsticks posted:

:words:

After reading into UNSC veto powers I came across the interesting situation with Taiwan's recognition as opposed to the PRC. Quoting wiki:

quote:

Because of anti-communist sentiment at the start of the Cold War, the Republic of China was initially recognized as the sole legitimate government of China by the United Nations and most Western nations. On January 9, 1950, the Israeli government extended recognition to the People's Republic of China. United Nations General Assembly Resolution 505, passed on February 1, 1952 considered the Chinese communists to be rebels against the Republic of China. However, the 1970s saw a switch in diplomatic recognitions from the ROC to the PRC. On 25 October 1971, Resolution 2758 was passed by the UN General Assembly, which "decides to restore all its rights to the People's Republic of China and to recognize the representatives of its Government as the only legitimate representatives of China to the United Nations, and to expel forthwith the representatives of Chiang Kai-shek from the place which they unlawfully occupy at the United Nations and in all the organizations related to it." Multiple attempts by the Republic of China to rejoin the UN, no longer to represent all of China but just the people of the territories it governs, have not made it past committee, largely due to diplomatic maneuvering by the PRC, which claims Resolution 2758 has settled the matter.
I'm guessing then that a new Palestine would have greater recognition than the state of Taiwan as far as the UN goes, but possibly less as far as the US goes.

quote:

The United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Republic of India, Pakistan and Japan have formally adopted the One China policy, under which the People's Republic of China is theoretically the sole legitimate government of China. However, the United States and Japan acknowledge rather than recognize the PRC position that Taiwan is part of China.
Pretty sure we'll end up with something similar. Dare I say, it sounds like a quagmire pretty confused situation.

Still it would certainly be an improvement over the situation as it stands... I hope.

Edit to remove possible catchphrase.

Edit 2: Interesting that Israel was the first to "cross the floor" (for want of better words) to the PRC in this case as well.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 28, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Poorly armed rebels are owning the poo poo out of Gaddafi's elite troops in Misrata:

quote:

Rebels in Misrata, Libya claim they are within days of forcing Gaddafi's troops from the city, Xan Rice reports.

At a press conference they used Google Earth images to show they had forced back their opponents to very edges off city, Xan says in a Audioboo report.

quote:

They show that they have forced Gaddafi forces to an area around the airport and the southern edge of the city and then quite far away on the western side - appearing to show they control the vast majority of the city. Within a few they expect to clear Gaddafi's forces from all of the city...

They have managed to cut off the Gaddafi forces' supply lines. In the course of a few days of frenetic fighting they killed a lot of Gaddafi forces, and captured a lot, and sustained a lot of losses themselves. There is essentially a stalemate. Gaddafi's forces are on the very edge of the city and there's no fighting that I've seen today.

I don't think they are exaggerating what they have achieved. Where there is a bit of bluster is when they talk about marching on Tripoli very soon.

There is just the occasional barrage of missiles [in the distance]. But there is certainly no heavy fighting, and everyone is sitting around waiting to see what next.

This is great news for a number of reasons. First of all moral among Gaddafi's troops must be awful at the moment, they've fought in Misarata for 2 months and all they've achieved is providing the rebels with more equipment when they've eventually fled the battlefield in disarray. The rebels on the otherhand have become more experienced, better equiped, and even more fortified then before.

It also means the port can be used, letting supplies in, and refugees and wounded out, as well as allowing it to be used for any troop movement from Benghazi to Misarata. I'd really be interested to see if any of the MILAN missile systems have reached the rebels in Misarata like they have with the rebels in the Western Mountains, as they will be extremely useful for getting rid of any Gaddafi artillery hiding in built up areas the NATO forces are unable to attack.

Rebel success in Nafusa and Misarata also makes it impossible for Gaddafi to attempt any split of Libya during negoiations, and silences any countries who support Gaddafi's attempt to do so.

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010
My friend, who I posted messages from on here right at the beginning has finally been in contact and revealed he is safe and well (update below). There's a lot of criticism regarding the UN intervention in Libya, particularly from groups like Stop the War coalition in the UK and from some of the smaller political parties, but I really feel that the desires of the Libyan people are not being taken into account by the various anti campaigns. Every message from Libya I have read, not just from my mate, has pleaded for intervention on the part of the international community. For the various groups against it, it just seems like they're putting ideology before reality.

schadenfraud's friend posted:

we are under seige some friends got killed some got arrested and my best friend was the last we were living in very bad situation ..basically anyone in the streets at the weekend will be arrested and also they are going after all youths attacking homes at night kidnapping them, stealing money and all. Those are both gheddafi forces and some criminals who were released and bribed by gheddafi so from his cell to have much money and weapons..why wouldnt they fight for him? anyway ..we were under pressure no sms no internet local media liyng about us.. false calls to even fake drama they produce some fake clips to support their propaganda

i had to run out to tunisia to speak the word i'm the spokesman for the rebels i'm about to send a speech for aljazeera waiting for the second..it will take another volunteer to take the risk to come here though! also another problem i have family there so i will not be able to use my name nor my face so i can't go out to media :( i so need to serve th cause in pefect way but i don't wish to put my family in danger! ppl in tripoli are so so angry we couldnt do nothing but the graffiti war we write they cover up and write pro ..we cover and write against also rising the real flag but we faced troubles for example we had managed to get to school last week and we put the flag in the highes point in some mobile station anttena was on the roof of the school the next day they arrested the administrator of the school and old lady so we felt so bad we caused this. Also another point i wish the unisef do something the bastard is using kids and forcing them for pro demos or they and their family will be arrested.

i can't believe there r anyone with gheddafi..now ppl in tripoli is so with ground troops they all said we will fight alongside anyone be it an american against gheddafi.

i don't trust americans they have very bad rep out there in iraq or anywhere, but believe me hitler is nothing compared to this mad dictator - rape has become a good way to punish the rebels or the demostrators as we in tripoli are still unarmed and still a demonstartors. Iman al ubaidi case has given them more green light to rape, stealing, killing anyone, kids got their fingers cut for writing, young girls got beaten up by her teacher for refusing to raise the green flag. they terrorised kids, used them in pro demo they have no respect for human being!! trust me we shall fight alongside anyone against gheddafi. in fact it's great chance for american and british troops to prove that iraq was a mistake, but they should leave libya as soon as their job ends taking out gheddafi is the best for all. i know of some thinking of sucide as they hated their lives.. it's like big prison .. palestinians or even iraqis haven't seen like this hell .. gheddafi used every sneaky dirty way to kill punish destroy his OWN ppl!

BRICS too much condemnation for nato strikes but no loving word to gheddafi killing machine? what a pricks! ... i hate it when someone says that..also from fellow arabs when they critisize the western intervention ..and bla bla while they are sitting on their arses watching gheddafi murdering all libyans!

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Slantedfloors posted:

Coincidentally, the question of recognizing Palestinian statehood will be going up to vote at the UN soon at the General Assembly, not the Security Council. The US will have no veto to stop it, and the main supporters are stating the unless Israel makes some immediate concessions and starts dealing in good faith, the 1967 border will be considered the starting point.

Interesting days, these.

sounds good, but from the bottom of that article

quote:

"A Diplomatic Memo article last Sunday, about the growing possibility that, even without an Israeli-Palestinian peace agreement, the United Nations General Assembly might approve a resolution in September granting statehood to Palestinians on Israeli-controlled land referred incompletely to the options available to the United States for blocking such a resolution. It has no veto power in the General Assembly, as the article stated, but such a resolution would first require a recommendation from the Security Council, where the United States could exercise a veto."
:(
And *if* the GA vote goes ahead and is successful, it is the UNSC who will have to approve action against Israel if they refuse to abide by the GA resolution.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Jut posted:

And *if* the GA vote goes ahead and is successful, it is the UNSC who will have to approve action against Israel if they refuse to abide by the GA resolution.

We're already on top of that one... or getting to the bottom of it. (Top of page)

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

schadenfraud posted:

My friend, who I posted messages from on here right at the beginning has finally been in contact and revealed he is safe and well (update below). There's a lot of criticism regarding the UN intervention in Libya, particularly from groups like Stop the War coalition in the UK and from some of the smaller political parties, but I really feel that the desires of the Libyan people are not being taken into account by the various anti campaigns. Every message from Libya I have read, not just from my mate, has pleaded for intervention on the part of the international community. For the various groups against it, it just seems like they're putting ideology before reality.

I hope your friend survives this and gets to see a democratic Libya and Gaddafi and his family either dead or in a prison cell.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Cable Guy posted:

We're already on top of that one... or getting to the bottom of it. (Top of page)

yea, my bad, should have read the rest of the updates before posting:(

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

I hope your friend survives this and gets to see a democratic Libya and Gaddafi and his family either dead or in a prison cell.

Me too, although he has been lucky enough to make it into Tunisia. I worry about his family though, as they are still trapped in Tripoli.

schadenfraud fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 28, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

AJA and AJE are reporting fighting in Kufra. Kufra has been very isolated from the conflict, and from what I remember Kufra rebelled quite early on, and apparently captured a lot of equipment from a nearby military base, so it'll be interesting to find out what is happening there.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This video was posted along with this comment on Twitter:

quote:

Video: GRAD missile attack on #Misrata 27.04.11 - GRAD contain 'STRANGE LIQUID that burns for a long time'

I can't view the video, but could GRAD missile have warheads containing any sort of liquid, or is it just rebel confusion?

The UK has also dis-invited the Syrian Ambassador from the Royal Wedding:

quote:

Representatives of countries with which the UK has normal diplomatic relations have been invited to the wedding. An invitation does not mean endorsement or approval of the behaviour of any government, simply that we have normal diplomatic relations with that country. In the light of this week's attacks against civilians by the Syrian security forces, which we have condemned, the Foreign Secretary has decided that the presence of the Syrian Ambassador at the Royal Wedding would be unacceptable and that he should not attend. Buckingham Palace shares the view of the Foreign Office that it is not considered appropriate for the Syrian Ambassador to attend the wedding.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 28, 2011

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

schadenfraud posted:

Me too, although he has been lucky enough to make it into Tunisia. I worry about his family though, as they are still trapped in Tripoli.

Let your friend know that some Americans support him and wish him the best in his struggle for liberty.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Brown Moses posted:

I can't view the video, but could GRAD missile have warheads containing any sort of liquid, or is it just rebel confusion?

Fuel

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Jut posted:

yea, my bad, should have read the rest of the updates before posting:(

You do raise an interesting point though.

Jut posted:

...if the GA vote goes ahead and is successful [whatever it is], it is the UNSC who will have to approve action against Israel if they refuse to abide by the GA resolution.
US even abstaining from such a vote is a long way away.

And in that case, all it would take is a few :airquote:Palestinian:airquote: bombs to go off, and that would be enough excuse for Israel to go in. No way would US let the Security Council pass a vote condemning that and authorising anything punitive.

Looks like Palestine wouldn't gain that much.

Edit:

schadenfraud posted:

My friend, who I posted messages from on here right at the beginning has finally been in contact and revealed he is safe and well...

Brown Moses posted:

schadenfraud posted:

Not to mention the guy whose bringing the second message to him for AJE. Hope he gets through and delivers.

Edit 2... sorry Automatic. Didn't mean to single you out for omission. we good brah.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 28, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

There's some reports coming from the mountains in the West that suggest the rebels are pushing Gaddafi's forces away from Zintan and Yefren:

quote:

Libyan rebels defending Zintan southwest of Tripoli have pushed back forces loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi who had blasted the town with rockets.

An AFP team in the town late on Wednesday witnessed rebels firing off celebratory salvos into the night as a NATO warplane flew overhead.

After intense fire between the two sides in the afternoon with anti-aircraft guns being used, the insurgents moved toward the pro-Gaddafi lines on neighbouring hills and the government forces finally withdrew to a village held by a friendly tribe.

At least 20 Grad rockets struck Zintan, three of which crashed near the hospital, damaging the parking area, the main gate and the entrance to emergency services as well as four nearby houses, a witness said.
Twitter reports suggest that better equiped rebels from Nalut are now joining rebels in Zintan After having pushed Gaddafi forces out of the hills near Zintan they are now pushing towards Yefren, and trying to join up with them there. It seems like that unlike Misarata and other cities in the west that are surrounded, town and cities in the mountains aren't surrounded, and they are all starting to link up, with supplies coming over the Tunisian border.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

From AJE:

quote:

Following are the latest available details of military activity in Libya:

* The United States took steps to throw a financial lifeline to rebels controlling eastern Libya while forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi focused their firepower on pockets of resistance in the west.

* Rebels said Gaddafi's forces fired Russian-made Grad rockets, which rights groups say should not be used in civilian areas, at the rebel-held western towns of Misurata and Zintan, following NATO strikes to free Misurata's port.

* Remoter areas of western Libya also came under fire from forces loyal to the Libyan leader, who is trying to break the uprising against his four-decade rule that has put most of the east in rebel hands since it began in mid-February.

* Gaddafi's forces clashed with rebels in the desert town of Kufra in Libya's remote southeast, Al Jazeera has learned.

* Seven rebel fighters in the city of Misurata were killed overnight when government forces hit their checkpoint with artillery fire and rockets, a local doctor said.

* Russia is not planning to request an emergency meeting of the United Nations Security Council to discuss what Moscow has called Western aggression in Libya, Itar-TASS news agency quoted a foreign ministry official as saying on Thursday.

* NATO conducted 119 sorties on Wednesday, with 41 intended as strike missions. NATO defines strike sorties as missions intended to identify and engage targets, but which do not always involve the use of munitions.

It said targets included:

- One communications facility, two vehicle storage buildings and one surface-to-air missile storage facility near Tripoli;

- Two rocket launchers, two artillery vehicles and one armoured personnel carrier in the vicinity of Misurata;

- Seven ammunition storage bunkers near Mizdah;

- Twelve ammunition storage bunkers near Sirte.

* Wednesday's missions brought the total number of sorties conducted by NATO since it took command of western operations on March 31 to 4,100. A total of 1,699 strike sorties were conducted.

* Nineteen ships under NATO command are actively patrolling the central Mediterranean Sea. Twenty vessels were hailed on Wednesday to determine destination and cargo. Two boardings were conducted but no vessels were diverted.

* A total of 682 vessels have been hailed, 20 boardings and five diversions have been conducted since the beginning of arms embargo operations.

Twitter rumours are saying Kufra has been retaken by Gaddafi as well.

Twitter is also saying that NATO are bombing Gaddafi's forces around Yefren, trying to break the seige, while rebels try to approach from Zintan and Nalut.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 28, 2011

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

Warbadger posted:

Not really, given the lack of substantiation for the genocide claims. Coincidentally bordering Georgia is another previously autonomous region named Chechnya. A shame the Chechens weren't afforded the same support for their independence movement for some strange reason.

Previously autonomous region? like all the other "Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republics" :commissar:
Or do you mean "autonomous region" like the Not Just Yet United State of Afghanistan? :confused:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Bit more on the friendly fire incident:

quote:

"We forgive them" a 20-year-old survivor of a Nato airstrike which killed 12 rebels in Misrata yesterday, told Xan Rice.

In an Audioboo report Xan said:

quote:

A group of about 15 rebels gathered in the desert near the port. They were just hanging around next to a small building near the salt factory at about five in the afternoon when out of sky came bombs. The survivors say it was Nato. They say it was a bomb unlike anything else they had heard before. Twelve of the 15 were dead straight away.

They [the rebels] were pretty keen on playing it down. One of the chaps who survived, a 20-year-old guy called Ahmed Swayzi, who I just visited in hospital straightaway 'we forgive them. We know it was a mistake and we just want them to keep hitting Gaddafi's forces'. He said the day before Nato had struck a lot of Gaddafi's vehicles in the vicinity... This was about 15km out of town.

This chap said they had marked their vehicles in a certain way, apparently on orders from Nato. That obviously didn't work in this case.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Warthog posted:

Previously autonomous region? like all the other "Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republics" :commissar:
Or do you mean "autonomous region" like the Not Just Yet United State of Afghanistan? :confused:

In the Soviet era when it functioned as an autonomous oblast, after it declared sovereignty in 1990, or after the Soviet military signed a peace treaty with the Chechen government in the mid 1990s following the first Chechen war?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Few unverified bits from ChangeInLibya:

quote:

Kufra: These Gaddafi forces are said to be cars that sneaked to Tazirbu from Jalu and Brega, after NATO bombed some of them

quote:

Kufra: 40 cars equipped with AA guns/missile launchers entered the city and 35 are surrounding it, with help from 5th column/traitors

quote:

Kufra: These cars burnt the city's court which was a small "command centre" for the revolutionaries & are arresting citizens randomly

quote:

Nalut/Wazin: Reports that 20 Gaddafi 4x4s and jeeps are attempting to cut the road between the border crossing and Nalut

I read a Tweet a few hours ago saying the rebels at the border crossing were expecting an attack today, and had spent the night digging trenches and fortifying their positions, so hopefully they'll be able to defend themselves.

[edit] There's reports from the Tunisian side of the border of the sound of shooting coming from the Libyan side, in the Wazin area.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 28, 2011

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

Warbadger posted:

In the Soviet era when it functioned as an autonomous oblast, after it declared sovereignty in 1990, or after the Soviet military signed a peace treaty with the Chechen government in the mid 1990s following the first Chechen war?

The Autonomous Oblast - 1922-36 under Stalin... I think we both agree, that doesn't count - everything was "autonomous" in that time.
Since 1990, Chechen republic of Ichkeria recognized by... oh The Taliban in Afghanistan only (and the Chechen's didn't even want that recognition).

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Couple of bits from Nalut/Wazin:

quote:

Forces loyal to Gaddafi shelled rebel positions around the Dehiba-Wazin border crossing with Tunisia today, according to a cameraman for the Reuters news agency.

Some of the artillery rounds appeared to have landed on the Tunisian side.

quote:

BREAKING! Mohammed Al Bagali (Aljazeera reporter) is injurd due 2 Gaddafis militias attack on #Wazin near the Tunisian border.

And Kufra:

quote:

5 revolutionaries injured in this afternoon's clashes and reports that they killed some Gaddafi mercenaries

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

There's now reports that Wazin has been recaptured by Gaddafi, hopefully the rebels can fight back and recapture it if that's true. Apparently news crews from AJ and Sky News are right in the middle of the attacks as well.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Apparently while the rebels went off the fight in Zintan this morning Gaddafi troops managed to outflank them and reach Wazin, and NATO apparently did nothing to stop them. Hopefully they'll do something to remedy that situation.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So what is the mark that the rebels are putting on their vehicles per NATO instructions? I remember during the Iraq invasion we used a sideways/upside down V or something. But in this long and protracted engagement, wouldn't it be easy for Gaffy to replicate? I really wonder how a pilot is to identify cars containing loyalists versus rebels whilst flying at 700mph.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Darth123123 posted:

So what is the mark that the rebels are putting on their vehicles per NATO instructions? I remember during the Iraq invasion we used a sideways/upside down V or something. But in this long and protracted engagement, wouldn't it be easy for Gaffy to replicate? I really wonder how a pilot is to identify cars containing loyalists versus rebels whilst flying at 700mph.

Yeah, it's pretty much something like that.

Interesting news from Syria:

quote:

More bad news for Syria. The UN nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency, has said for the first time that a target destroyed by Israeli warplanes in the Syrian desert five years ago was a covertly built nuclear reactor. This is AP's report.

quote:

Previous reports by the IAEA have suggested that the structure hit could have been a nuclear reactor. Thursday's comments by IAEA chief Yukiya Amano were the first time the agency has said so unequivocally.

"The facility that was ... destroyed by Israel was a nuclear reactor under construction," he asked in response to a question from The Associated Press, repeating to the AP afterward: "It was a reactor under construction."

Israel has never publicly commented on the strike or even acknowledged carrying it out. The US has shared intelligence with the agency that identifies the structure as a nearly completed nuclear reactor that, if finished, would have been able to produce plutonium for the fissile core of nuclear warheads.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Claims the fighting in Wazin spilled over the border into Tunisia:

quote:

Gaddafi's forces have now taken the Dehiba-Wazin border crossin, with the conflict spilling into Tunisia. Fighting broke out in the Tunisian town of Dehiba after the crossing was attacked, Reuters is reporting.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

There's now claims from the LHC (Libya Al Hurra Charity) in Tunisia that the rebels have counterattacked and recaptured the border crossing.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Other reports of explosions and gun fire in Benghazi were being reported as some sort of attack, but now there's rumours it was celebratory because of some great news coming in from Brega/Ajdabiya, but no-one seems to know what it is.

There's also reports of heavy bombardment in the South of Misarata, probably from Gaddafi's forces in the airport area.

And there's also reports that the rebels didn't capture the border, but plan to recapture it during the night as they have access to night vision equipment.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 28, 2011

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I really don't get the 'firing guns as a method of celebration' thing.

From all the reports I guess the tide is turning? I hope it stays that way. :ohdear:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Honestly, I've no idea at the moment, there's reports of gun battles in Benghazi, and those gun battles actually being celebrations for something, the border is either held or not held by the rebels, Kufra is either captured, encircled, or free, so god knows what is going on in Libya at the moment.

[edit]I'm off for a bit, hopefully it'll be cleared up by the time I'm back, even the journalists on Twitter in Benghazi don't know what the gently caress.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 28, 2011

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

Jut posted:

Call me crazy, but I am 100% certain the United States would abstain, and 30% sure that we might even vote in favor of a Palestinian state.

And there are plenty of ways to punish Israel without resorting to the security council. The GA recognizing Palestine might just be the final push that the majority of sane Israelis need to get their hands dirty and take care of the settlements.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Pureauthor posted:

It's cultural, really

"Bullets are not greeting cards. Celebrate without firearms"

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

THE HORSES rear end posted:

Call me crazy, but I am 100% certain the United States would abstain, and 30% sure that we might even vote in favor of a Palestinian state.

And there are plenty of ways to punish Israel without resorting to the security council. The GA recognizing Palestine might just be the final push that the majority of sane Israelis need to get their hands dirty and take care of the settlements.

Yeah, I have a feeling that a veto might not be coming, but god knows I've been wrong before.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Journalists in Benghazi have confirmed the shooting were young people shooting guns and RPGs into the air and acting "like idiots".

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

THE HORSES rear end posted:

The US abstaining from voting, or hell even voting in favor of Palestinian statehood will need to happen soon though. Risking a pro Palestinian vote in the middle of an election cycle would be a massive gently caress up for any politician, especially since :foxnews: will :regd08:.

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

I think the best thing I've heard about this (widespread) show of celebration is that when the United States et al. were calculating the amount of ammunition and weaponry to give to the Afghan mujahedin, they went so far as to explicitly take into consideration soldiers just firing their weapons in the air in celebration. As far as I remember, it was some high number too, my memory seems to think it was something like 30% of ammunition was anticipated to be used for that purpose.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Warthog posted:

The Autonomous Oblast - 1922-36 under Stalin... I think we both agree, that doesn't count - everything was "autonomous" in that time.
Since 1990, Chechen republic of Ichkeria recognized by... oh The Taliban in Afghanistan only (and the Chechen's didn't even want that recognition).

It became the Chechen–Ingush Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic, which was still largely autonomous as the name implies. And no, everything was not "autonomous", though many autonomous regions existed!

Coincidentally both Chechnya and South Ossentia were autonomous oblasts in the early 1900s, both declared themselves independent in 1990, both are regions inside larger internationally recognized states which failed to prevent their departure militarily in the 1990s, and neither were/are officially recognized as states internationally to this day. The difference lies in the fact that the South Ossentians have a massive friendly army next door to crush the government forces when they attempt to retake control of the region, whereas the Chechens did not.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
4 sentenced to death and 3 to life in prison in a secret trial in Bahrain, allegedly for killing two police officers.

quote:

Four men were sentenced to death in Bahrain in connection with the killing of two police officers during anti-government protests, the Gulf kingdom's official news agency said Thursday.

The agency named them as Ali Al Sankees, Abdulaziz Hussain, Qassim Mattar and Saeed Abduljaleel. The Wefaq opposition party said all were 20 or 21 years old.

An additional three men were sentenced to life in prison, former Wefaq lawmaker Sayed Hadi Al Mosawi told CNN, naming them as Isa Ali, Sayed Sadiq Mahdi and Hussain Abdulkareem.

The defendants all have two weeks to appeal, he said.

All seven of them pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Wefaq criticized their trial when it began April 17, warning that it was being conducted by a special tribunal operating under emergency law instead of a normal criminal court. The opposition party also said lawyers had not been given enough time to prepare their defense.

The strategically important kingdom and United States ally has been under a state of emergency since the middle of March, following huge anti-government protests similar to those that have swept across much of the Arab world.

• Locked thread