Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

While my wife is going to get the EVO 3D (her reward for rocking my Hero the last year) I think I might hold off upgrading myself. Why? For the first time in a long time I am still satisfied with my cell phone a year later. Yes the EVO is not perfect but it is still a pretty good phone. Urg I say this now but I bet once I see her with her new toy I will have to have it.

This is kind of where I am, for the first time in a while I really don't have a NEED to get a new phone. I'm torn between staying with the Evo, getting a 3D (months after regular customers get it) or trying something that is not necessarily better, but different (heck I'm still tempted to get an Arrive to to try WinPhone 7 some more). Other thing is I'm likely moving to PA in 5 months, so who knows whether I will stay working for Sprint in any form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z16bitsega
Nov 26, 2005
So if I already have a GV number, and I use this integration to port my sprint number to GV, do I lose the GV number I already had?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

z16bitsega posted:

So if I already have a GV number, and I use this integration to port my sprint number to GV, do I lose the GV number I already had?

Yes. There is the possibility of transferring your Voice number to another Google account first, though, effectively saving both. You won't be able to be logged into both on your phone, but you wouldn't lose the existing number, either.

I'm in the process of trying this now. I'll post my results when and if I'm successful.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

brc64 posted:

I can't see myself leaving Android for another platform any time soon, but even still, you can still take advantage of Google Voice on a non-Android phone. Calls will still be routed to your phone number, regardless of what OS it runs. I'm a little less clear on how texting works if you port to Voice, but I know you can route SMS to any phone number you choose, so that's also still functional. The Voice app just makes dealing with those things directly on the phone more convenient, but it's not required.

You can forward your texts to your email or cell number, but you can't get MMS at all with GV.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You can forward your texts to your email or cell number, but you can't get MMS at all with GV.

Normally, yes, but people have reported that Google does some sort of voodoo that still sends the MMS messages to your phone even if you port your Sprint number into Google Voice. So that's a moot point in this situation.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
So here's the situation I'm in- Sprint's 3 step support process of reboot, reset, return has landed me firmly at the last step and apparently the only place I can exchange my MiFi is at the original Sprint store I bought it from. They have no more in stock, to make things worse, I'm leaving the Chicago area in a few days to move out to the west coast so waiting around for them to get more in isn't really a viable alternative. Is it true that defective equipment exchanges can ONLY be done through the specific store you purchased it from? This seems hilariously rear end backwards, but Sprint has assured me that the only other alternative I have is flat out returning my device from them, undoing my entire upgrade, then re-upgrading at another store? What happens when I return it, buy another device locally, then move out to LA and have the same issue... Only this time I'm 1500 miles away from where I need to exchange it from?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Turnquiet posted:

I kind of like having my google voice number and my sprint number separate, and then using the voice app to route communications through voice when I do things like craigslist transactions. I set my phone to ask prior to each dial, and boom, now I can block dillweeds who start harassing you over a price being too high or something. Losing that voice number or the ability to pick to text or call from voice or from sprint seems like a negative.

I used to do this too...but since I enabled Google Voice using my Google Voice Number, if someone calls my Sprint Number, I still get the call (and all of the call logs still show up in Google Voice)...and if someone calls my Google Voice number, I get also get the call.

The ONLY difference is ALL my outgoing calls come from my Google Voice number.

Either way, I can still choose to block/not allow people at will who call my Google Voice Number.

Jensen posted:

You do realize that your cell number now BECOMES your Google Voice number, right?

So, the dillweeds can be blocked exactly the same as before. Except now you aren't annoyingly asked which number to use every time you want to make a phone call.

Exactly.

brc64 posted:

If you use the Google Voice app, texts come in over data. However, you also have the option to have text messages forwarded to a phone number, which brings them in over SMS. I use the latter since the Voice notifications were never reliable enough for me in the past.

It's not reliable for me either, and never has been UNLESS I have SMS Forwarding turned on too. My brother and I ran an experiment on this last night:

First, I left SMS Forwarding enabled -

When I would send my brother (who lives with me, is on my account, and has an Epic) a text he would get it on either his GV number OR his Sprint Number within 15 seconds. When he texted me at either my GV Number or Sprint number, I averaged about the same.

(Worth noting:

1.Since I have enabled the GV+Sprint integration, ANY SMS to EITHER number ends up showing up in my GV App...and if you have SMS forwarding turned on in GV, it showed up in the Stock Messaging App too.

2. I said it before, but GV seems to be accepting Short Codes once you have GV+Sprint turned on. I now get Facebook & Twitter notifications in my GV Inbox)

Second, I turned SMS Forwarding off -

My brother still got all texts within about 15 seconds. I waited over 3 minutes on a couple of occasions and STILL didn't get the Text Notification until I launched/manually refreshed the GV App.

So, ultimately, I turned SMS Notifications back on in my GV Settings, and just turned off ALL Text Notifications in the Stock Messaging App. This way I still get my Texts quickly, and I don't get two notifications

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I see I missed a call from my voicemail access number on Tuesday. Any idea what that is?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Ok, seeing as it's un-do-able (it can be undone, right?) how do I go about this Sprint+GV integration? I have a GV # (just never used it for anything,) and the GV app...I played around in the app today but didn't notice anything about integration, so I do it from the Sprint side of things?

Edit: I go here: http://www.google.com/googlevoice/sprint/ and it just says to put in my email to be notified when it's available...but how do some people already have it?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ok, seeing as it's un-do-able (it can be undone, right?) how do I go about this Sprint+GV integration? I have a GV # (just never used it for anything,) and the GV app...I played around in the app today but didn't notice anything about integration, so I do it from the Sprint side of things?

Edit: I go here: http://www.google.com/googlevoice/sprint/ and it just says to put in my email to be notified when it's available...but how do some people already have it?

No. If/when it becomes available to you, you'll be given the option from the Google Voice webpage.

Some people have it because Google/Sprint seems to be rolling it out in stages.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I integrated my phone with Google Voice. Do text messages come in over data or do they just use the cell connection like regular texts?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

GigaPeon posted:

I integrated my phone with Google Voice. Do text messages come in over data or do they just use the cell connection like regular texts?

If you DO NOT have SMS Forwarding turned on, they will ONLY come in via Data.

If you DO have SMS Forwarding turned on, they will come in to the GV App via Data AND the Stock Messaging App via 1x (regular cell connection)

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
So I'm currently on Verizon, looking to switch to Sprint. What are my chances of getting on EPRP and an EVO 3D at or near launch? The EPRP website still has the regular EVO out of stock. What the hell?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Ozmodiar posted:

No. If/when it becomes available to you, you'll be given the option from the Google Voice webpage.

Some people have it because Google/Sprint seems to be rolling it out in stages.

I got it early because I signed up on the link.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

FlyingCheese posted:

So I'm currently on Verizon, looking to switch to Sprint. What are my chances of getting on EPRP and an EVO 3D at or near launch? The EPRP website still has the regular EVO out of stock. What the hell?

EVOs and Optimuses (Optimii?) are hard to get right now, not sure the reason

But you should be able to get on EPRP at EVO 3D launch

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Alman posted:

Cool, thanks. Yay smaller bill and no longer using a lovely dumbphone! Now I just have to wait until the 3D :(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

io_burn posted:

So here's the situation I'm in- Sprint's 3 step support process of reboot, reset, return has landed me firmly at the last step and apparently the only place I can exchange my MiFi is at the original Sprint store I bought it from. They have no more in stock, to make things worse, I'm leaving the Chicago area in a few days to move out to the west coast so waiting around for them to get more in isn't really a viable alternative. Is it true that defective equipment exchanges can ONLY be done through the specific store you purchased it from? This seems hilariously rear end backwards, but Sprint has assured me that the only other alternative I have is flat out returning my device from them, undoing my entire upgrade, then re-upgrading at another store? What happens when I return it, buy another device locally, then move out to LA and have the same issue... Only this time I'm 1500 miles away from where I need to exchange it from?

If you got it from a CORPORATE store this should be incorrect, you can exchange it at any corporate store (if I am wrong someone tell me). But I'm betting you bought it from a 3rd party, in which case it is accurate, because 3rd party owns its own inventory. As an example, say you bought it from me in store (I only have stores in TN), and you had this issue. You would be redirected to contact my store, at which point we could A. have you ship it back and completely return it or B. NOT lose commission, have you ship it back and ship you out a new one.

Any 3rd party can direct ship devices to anywhere in the country out of Sprint's inventory (so instead of it coming from my store, i just place an order and it arrives wherever you want in about 3 days free shipping). Unless this store doesn't like making money, or they are retarded, that would be the way to do things. This specific scenario they would take an entire return on it and then direct ship it out under a new upgrade (only way to do it in the system). And if you push they will pay your shipping to ship the stupid device back. Personally, not completely sure on your schedule but if you want that specific store to service you if they direct ship it they can exchange and service within 30 days from anywhere in the country. I did a direct ship to a customer in Washington DC and the phone is defective, so i am sending her a new phone and a return label for the old one.

in a nutshell, either return it and get one from a corporate store, or exchange it for a direct ship where it doesn't matter.

Alman posted:

Def just wait for the Evo 3D launch, they will likely gently caress up and short stock the phone like they do every year, but usually if you order right on launch you have a fairly good chance of getting it.

For those that care, the Blackberry Style is being dropped from $50 to $0 at Sprint. Blackberry is getting desperate...

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 28, 2011

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Duckman2008 posted:

Def just wait for the Evo 3D launch, they will likely gently caress up and short stock the phone like they do every year, but usually if you order right on launch you have a fairly good chance of getting it.

Yes, from what little research I've found that even without the 3D gimmick, it simply has more features than the Nexus S and is better in almost every way. If only it would actually come out.

I hope it's rootable too. I really want to tinker with it.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
So, the Retentions number at Sprint is loving BONKERS, awesome, great, magnificent customer service.

Over the weekend I was out by Lake Michigan on a pier, hanging out with friends. My phone rings, I take it out and ... drop it into the loving lake.

Call Sprint on my friend's phone and explain the problem. I'm terrified this will cost me hundreds since I didn't get the insurance when I signed on. Representative says no problem, you have the TEP insurance, right? I say no, she says, "No problem, I'll sign you up for it now, and they'll charge you 7 bucks on your account for it and probably a $100 deductable (despite the fact that I have had the phone for a year and didn't have insurance...)

Get the replacement phone, it's a dud (microphone won't work) go to a Sprint store to get it looked at, and they can't fix it but they give me a free headset to use with it until I get my new-new phone.

Call Asurion to get them to send a replacement, but the robots that deal with the insurance claim can't seem to understand that I'm not calling about the original phone, but the dud they sent me. They can't move from their script and keep asking for the serial number for the phone that fell in the lake and seem incapable of grasping the concept that short of getting a US Navy diver involved, that's not possible.

So I call Sprint again and explain this and... The retentions rep from Sprint calls Asurion, and poo poo's handled, without me having to deal with it. Get a new phone overnight, got a call on it about 30 minutes after I activate it checking to make sure everything is OK (!!!) and on top of it the rep (the same one who dealt with Asurion for me) tells me the deductable has been waived because of the inconvenience of getting a dud the first time.

THAT is customer service - honestly, when I was with AT&T and explained that 90% of my calls from home & work died they pretty much told me to go gently caress myself. When I was with T-Mobile and wound up with 4 dud phones in a row (the god-awful T-Mobile Wing, all with dead touchscreens) they pretty much just shrugged and said "Whelp, it seems like our super-duper-lovely phones just don't like you, deal with it" - but the Sprint service is freaking awesome.

Just wanted to say - retentions people are the bestest people. If you have problems, call the number in the OP and they will make the problems disappear like magic.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

metztli posted:

Sprint Retentions

I'm pretty sure that Sprint's lovely customer service reputation comes from everyone NOT in Retentions or eCare. I generally send my problems to the eCare email address and usually have some kind of response within a few hours and a resolution well within the time frame they gave me in the initial response. Sprint Retentions is actually one of the few places that I don't mind waiting on hold for 20 minutes or so when I call in because I know that once they pick up I'm not going to have to deal with endless bullshit from a low level call center employee who isn't allowed to deviate from the script on the computer in front of them.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

http://www.sprintusers.com/may-8th-device-releases-samsung-nexus-s-motorola-xoom-blackberry-playbook/

May 8th release date for Playbook, Xoom, and Nexus S.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

metztli posted:

Retentions

I know this is super lame, but you should send an e-mail to dan @ sprint.com and tell them your story. They'll make sure retentions and sometimes even the person who helped you get recognized. I'm not sure how they handle raises but it might even help them with merit increases or short term incentive bonuses.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Alman posted:

I know this is super lame, but you should send an e-mail to dan @ sprint.com and tell them your story. They'll make sure retentions and sometimes even the person who helped you get recognized. I'm not sure how they handle raises but it might even help them with merit increases or short term incentive bonuses.

Wouldn't they get in trouble for not following Sprint's insurance policy? I mean, it's good for this guy, but it's hurting Sprint's bottom line.

SURPRISE WITNESS
May 14, 2004

I am pretty sure this is how it is supposed to go.
Just got an Epic 4G from Radioshack.com for $50. Is this phone tits? I'm going from a Palm Pre, so I figure anything is better...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Wouldn't they get in trouble for not following Sprint's insurance policy? I mean, it's good for this guy, but it's hurting Sprint's bottom line.

Customer goodwill is worth a lot to a company sometimes, and I'd wager Retentions gets a lot of leeway on what they can sign off on versus the script-readers in other departments.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

SURPRISE WITNESS posted:

Just got an Epic 4G from Radioshack.com for $50. Is this phone tits? I'm going from a Palm Pre, so I figure anything is better...

For $50 I'd say that's not bad. It's not really a bad phone, it's just you know, Samsung.

SURPRISE WITNESS
May 14, 2004

I am pretty sure this is how it is supposed to go.

Skeezy posted:

For $50 I'd say that's not bad. It's not really a bad phone, it's just you know, Samsung.

Yeah, I was originally waiting on the Arrive and have been going back and forth between the EVO and the Arrive... and then this drat sale comes around. So, I've read about the negativity with Samsung products and I hesitated for a few days. But after reading good review after good review on the Epic this week, I figured maybe they got this one right and pulled the trigger today.

We'll see... Like I said, it certainly can't be any worse than my Pre.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SURPRISE WITNESS posted:

Just got an Epic 4G from Radioshack.com for $50. Is this phone tits?

Compared to your Palm Pre, yeah, it's tits. Compared to anything in its class, it's still tits, but Angela Lansbury's tits.

That is, to say, you should enjoy it but be aware there is some truth to the relentless Samsung hatred among most places on the internet which deal in Android. It is, however, a hell of a deal at $50. It'd still be a good deal at $100, just not much further. Samsung is a company that only managed to get an official Froyo build on this phone last month. There has been progress with various ROM development basements getting Gingerbread running on it, and there even seems to be a (VERY GODDAMN) early GB build leaked from Sprint/Samsung.

Anyway, flash a loving ROM on it as soon as you can, there are plenty of people in the Rooted Android thread who can help you with choosing one and getting through it, and having done so myself I can say that it's not at all as scary a process as you might think. If you aren't too concerned about not having 4G/Camera/GPS capabilities on your phone then there's a Cyanogenmod alpha on XDA, and it's Gingerbread. I've used it, it's very nice, but preferring a more fully featured system I opted for a Froyo rom. It's up to you.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 28, 2011

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Good news: for many premier silver customers who lost their yearly upgrades, corporate sprint stores can now honor it until I think 6/30. Pretty awesome.

Also: blackberry fans (if there are any left) the style price is dropping on 5/1 to free.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mahoning posted:

Good news: for many premier silver customers who lost their yearly upgrades, corporate sprint stores can now honor it until I think 6/30. Pretty awesome.

:aaaaa:

Now I believe I need to find a Sprint corporate store and pray the 3D gets pushed out the door on or before the date this offer ends.

How would I be able to tell if it's a corporate store? Is this a "JIM'S CELLPHONE SHACK (we sell Sprint among other brands)" being "non-corporate" and any store with an actual Sprint sign being corporate?

e: Apparently there's a corporate store so close that I can drop a deuce in my shitter and they will smell it.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 28, 2011

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Mahoning posted:

Also: blackberry fans (if there are any left) the style price is dropping on 5/1 to free.

Can I get a phone on EPRP at the corporate store? I remember when the EVO was released that it was completely hit or miss.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

SURPRISE WITNESS posted:

Let me know how long it takes for them to get the phone to you and if you have any problems. I am planning to get my daughter that same phone from there next week and I want to make sure all is good.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I just got my style on Monday. could I go to the sprint store on Monday and ask them to credit me the phone back?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"d[-.- posted:

b"]

From what I can tell Sprint (especially retentions) has a fairly in depth process of determining what policies to bend and when they can bend them. Retentions bases a LOT based on whether you have a spending limit or not, whether you pay your bills on time or not and how long you have been a cutomer.

If its a 5-10 year always on time paying customer, Sprint likely will not object to a retentions rep doing something like that. If its a customer with a spending limit that pays bills late and always calls in asking for credits, well Sprint is at the point of telling them "too bad."

And in Asurion's defense, if you add insurance after day of purchase (even within 30 days) it takes 15 days for it to be eligible for filing. Technically at least. That being said, dealing with Asurion is always God awful.

Mahoning posted:

3rd party stores too. Don't leave us out dude!

ratbert90 posted:

I just got my style on Monday. could I go to the sprint store on Monday and ask them to credit me the phone back?

Unfortunately not unless you got it at Best Buy. You could do a full return and then redo your upgrade, but there is a $35 restock fee to it.

Edit: oh and Insurance officially goes up from $7 to $8 for everyone on July 24th. Only "Accounts with Contracts that specify TEP price freezes" will be exempt (as well as certain business accounts). So yeah, insurance goes up $1 a month, doesn't look like it breaks Terms of contract.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 28, 2011

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Unfortunately not unless you got it at Best Buy. You could do a full return and then redo your upgrade, but there is a $35 restock fee to it.
it was new service. so I am within my 30 days at least. maybe that will help?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

it was new service. so I am within my 30 days at least. maybe that will help?

Go in and say you'll return it and switch back to wherever. It would suck for the store, but I know myself I would at least match it halfway, and in reality even up to the entire $50 is doable for the store. Worth asking for.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
well, I will give it a try. I will be as nice as possible. If they can't they can't. It's not their fault. :)

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Just disabled my Google Voice integration with Sprint. It seems to have gone okay, I think, but now I can't switch back to Google Voice Lite like I was using before, and the Voice site itself seems to be the cause of the problem.

Basically, I can't access my settings anymore, except verrrry rarely, and when I do finally load the settings page (to get the forwarding number I need, or "add a new phone"), only Billing shows up, no other options.

In short this was a terrible idea and I am regretting every second of it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I still can't get a free google voice port. :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh, forgot one other thing:

If you have the $69.99 Everything Data Plan, running May 8th - July 23rd Sprint is offering an extra 300 minutes on the plan. So instead of 450 minutes, its 750 minutes and AnyMobile Anytime is still there. If you currently have the plan you need to call in and add it, it is not a manual thing (and I don't think it would extend your contract unless you also get a phone). No idea if this can be applied to EPRP or not. And once you have it you are grandfathered in on it, even after it ends July 23rd.

So individual plans with unlimited text and data:
$69.99: 750 mins
$89.99: 900 mins
$99.99: unlimited ** No discounts apply to this plan

Extra $10 for a smartphone of course.