Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If you do it wrong it's as ugly as sin, but if you do it right, you can run two clutch cables side-by-side and if one breaks you just pop the ends of the other one on without it looking garish. You can even lube the second one up really nicely and cap/seal the ends with some plastic and zipties/bands so it doesn't have a problem with moisture.

On my Enfield, a clutch cable lasts between 3,000 and 10,000 miles (mean is 8,000) so it's handy to do. I'm the "intermittent-lazy-type," where I want to both do as little as possible, but also be super-prepared for later, because I know later I will want to do as little as possible. So, for things that are a major pain to do (clutch cable, ball-ramp throwout [known cracking problem on enfields], turn signal bulbs that are inside Pandora's bulb-retention mechanism) I over-engineer them (spare cable alongside existing, reinforce back sides of ramps on mechanism, LED-ify all the bulbs) so I don't have to gently caress with it later.

Strangely, I haven't done it with the throttle cable, but I think internally that's for two reasons. One, the throttle cable isn't under as much stress as the clutch cable, and two, it's just about as easy to manually turn the carb's throttle by hand for a 30-mile trip as it would be to change out the carb end of the cable with all the proper tools in a shop (srsly, Mikuni? gently caress your throttle attachment mechanism). It's another balance of laziness now versus laziness later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

-Inu- posted:

What's that...?

Digging that creative plate setup, I don't think I've ever seen one mounted that way.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
I spent yesterday figuring out how to remove a motorcycle from the side of a highway with no shoulder because I'm an idiot and thought my MacGyvered wiring would hold long enough to run an errand! 84 right after the Dumbarton Bridge for you bay area peeps.

Guess the upside is that first picture makes a great desktop background.

If you want to lose your faith in humanity, sit broken down on the side of the highway for a while watching thousands of people fly past.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 21, 2011

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

pr0zac posted:

If you want to lose your faith in humanity, sit broken down on the side of the highway for a while watching thousands of people fly past.

That's the flip side of riding a sumo...they just know you're up to no good.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Took the old spare off, then took the tyre, tube and split rim apart. Pain in the rear end.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Complete topend teardown cause I hate life want to have a bike that runs without pissing out it's coolant at a rather high pressure.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Gnaghi posted:

Digging that creative plate setup, I don't think I've ever seen one mounted that way.
Thanks. I wound up moving it though because my suspension is so drat soft. The plate was hitting my tail whenever I went over significant bumps. It has since been replaced with an even better setup. I now have the license plate attached to a GoPro mount. Quick release license plate ;)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Clutch plates and speedymoto sliders arrived today. I switched out the clutch plates(old ones are pretty much toast) but didn't get the sliders in yet as it got dark and rainy. I'll try again tomorrow. There was also crap in the clutch fluid I gotta take care of.

Edit: put the sliders on this morning. My torque wrench only goes up to 200 in/lbs, half of what's recommended, so hopefully my torque setting of 'pretty fuckin' tight' works. :v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 23, 2011

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Removed my chain guard and cleaned the chain on my yellow SV650 for the first time since I bought it recently.

It used to be a dull gray shade. Winter and grime.

Marvelous.

Also added a 2nd mirror. My SV's rockin' bicycle mirrors. Eventually I'll have to get some pricey CRG bar-end mirrors.

Yeti Fiasco
Aug 19, 2010
I finally put the correct type oil in it now, no more clutch problems :D

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
Changed the oil, lubed the chain, and rode the poo poo out of it for a few hours.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

the walkin dude posted:

Removed my chain guard and cleaned the chain on my yellow SV650 for the first time since I bought it recently.

It used to be a dull gray shade. Winter and grime.

Marvelous.

Did you make sure you can't catch your pantlegs?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I tend to rock leathers... or a pair of teacher pants (simple non-baggy l.l. bean cloth pants).

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
After three weeks and 1200km since I bought it I mounted a pair of frame sliders, adjusted the horrible swept back handlebar and put on some :rice: rim tape.

The handlebars on the FZ6 are notoriously swept back and it hurt the outside of my palms since my forward weight wasn't evenly distributed over the entire grip. The factory mounting even had them pointing up a bit.

I just tilted the bars back, making them feel a little more like high clipons. It really made a difference, although it made the riding position even more aggressive. To compensate for the new angle I tilted the brake and clutch handles a bit forward but I left the electrical controls where they are, I can reach all buttons just fine.

No danger of hitting the tank either. Still a couple of inches to spare.

I also got the frame sliders on. I bought a little more expensive ones from German Metisse. They are called x-pads and have built in shock absorbers to lessen the impact on the mount when tipped over. I'm really not expecting them to keep my bike undamaged in case of a crash, but any parking lot tip-overs should leave the bike fairly undamaged.

Next stop was the obligatory and oh so tacky rim tape. Good? Bad?

Next stop will be a fender eliminator and some discrete LED turn signals, but I will leave that for another day. Now, It's ridin' time.

mhsneon
Jul 2, 2005

I work for Intel but AMD makes me hot
Image cross posted from AI, but I cleaned, waxed and cleaned/lubed chains on the DR650 and the 919. I also cleaned and oiled the air filters on the DR. The primary and secondary. They were so nasty, the bike runs so much better now, no more hesitation and less surging.

Redid the tape on the broken rear turn signal. Thinking about replacing it, it has been broken for nearly 5 years, but I am afraid as soon as I replace it I will break it again.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's been above 10ºC for four days consecutively. Nothing today, but starting Monday, I riiiide.

Next up for maintenance: New brake pads!

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
Finally did the naked conversion for my fz6. It came out pretty well, but definitely not OEM quality. I'm gonna have to go through and loctite everything. The fairings used to make noise at 5.5k rpm. I never could figure out exactly what caused it. Not having that annoying noise is entirely worth it!

edit - I suck at pictures

TEASE MY NECKBEARD fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 25, 2011

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
^^^ Awesome!!

I've been riding at the 43ºF (6ºC) mark lately, Its not all that bad, I just really wish I wouldn't keep forgetting to wear my winter gloves. DAMNIT IT WAS 88ºF TWO WEEKS AGO

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

makka-setan posted:

Next stop was the obligatory and oh so tacky rim tape. Good? Bad?

The rim tape looks great dude, as long as a colour which goes with the bike is chosen it really enhances the looks of the bike IMO. I'm sure they exist but I've not seen a tacky implementation myself.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

^^^ Awesome!!

I've been riding at the 43ºF (6ºC) mark lately, Its not all that bad, I just really wish I wouldn't keep forgetting to wear my winter gloves. DAMNIT IT WAS 88ºF TWO WEEKS AGO

I ride all through Texas winters, which while aren't bad compared to much of the US, it's pretty consistently below 40 all winter. Heated gear rocks - once you buy some you never go back.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
A heated vest or whole liner would be really nice, and I have been scouting prices for them and powerlets already, I wouldn't be surprised if i ended up with atleast a heated top by the end of the year. I am scared to test the VFRs electrics load with pants on there too :ohdear:

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose
Passed the MSF yesterday, got my license this morning and rode for the first time by myself. I've been waiting 3 months to be able to and it was great. A bit wet out from the rain we had last night/this morning, but not an issue as I took the course in one day of complete downpour.

Can't wait to get my tank bag in and take it on a trip!

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Spent the entire weekend changing heads on my '89 GSXR 750 and rebuilding the engine on my 2000 DRZSM.

I'm getting tired of doing engine work, I just want to ride. :smith:

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

hayden. posted:

I ride all through Texas winters, which while aren't bad compared to much of the US, it's pretty consistently below 40 all winter. Heated gear rocks - once you buy some you never go back.

I rode most of the winter here in Maryland except for most of January and February because there was just too much snow and ice everywhere. I did so without heated gear and I'm pretty sure I was just torturing myself for no good reason. I'm thinking of getting heated grips or something to go in my gloves next winter. With a good jacket, and everything covered up so no wind hits my neck or chin, I never felt particularly cold, but my hands would still go completely numb after like five minutes.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

A heated vest or whole liner would be really nice, and I have been scouting prices for them and powerlets already, I wouldn't be surprised if i ended up with atleast a heated top by the end of the year. I am scared to test the VFRs electrics load with pants on there too :ohdear:

Have you checked out the battery powered Milwaukee jacket:Yes, it is very red!

Oh, yeah, changed the tyres on the vespa, wirewheeled the rust off some spots, primed and painted those area, threw on the center board replacement, since the old one just crumbled, and now I've got to get some pop rivets to put the last floor board on. I'm not screwing with the hammer ones, gently caress that nonsense.

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 25, 2011

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Finished the head swap on the '89 GSXR and 3 starter revolutions later it BURST INTO LIFE! :woop: :woop:

So stoked that my project worked out. Time to ride home. It's been a long 4 days..

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Sportster ergonomic design philosophy dictates that everything you come into contact with is a Big Hunk of Metal (TM) including the seat, so I always wondered why the choke knob was a cheesy piece of plastic pressed onto the end of the cable. They all shatter eventually, and when mine did a few days ago, well, I had to lay 'er down. 'Er being the remnants of the knob, in this case.

Oddly enough, most OE and aftermarket solutions involve two-piece covers that mount onto the existing knob--so you can curse the Twin Gods of Billet and Irony when your $40 goes sailing down the road. Everything that looks like a proper replacement is described with all the eloquence of a Craigslist ad for free fill dirt.

What to do? BRITS TO THE RESCUE. Why yes of course, home of spanners, the perpetually sorted out, the pros and cons of hitchhiking, towns with "upon" in their names, keeping calm and carrying on despite panic on the streets of Carlisle, and people who know how to FORM A F**KING SENTENCE. Oh, and the biggest stamps on the planet. Silly me, not thinking of Reepham, Norfolk first. Yes, I could have looted Lowes for a drawer pull, but the shaft is 4.5mm with a flat and this thing is spot on, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

With all the crashing I do on the DRZ it's probably dumb luck that I've never wrecked my radiators. Not one to tempt fate, I decided to put some Unabiker radiator guards on today. What a pain in the rear end, took me like three hours to do it. :sigh:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Cleaned my engine block. Tomorrow I paint. Also hopefully I can find a few minutes to drop the frame off at the shop to be powdercoated.

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

So, my front brake was getting a bit sticky and after checking with a mate I took the caliper off to give everything a good scrub and check the piston. Took the pads off which waspretty tricky and should of warned me of the nightmare too come. The piston popped way out, nearly touching the other pad and would not be moved for love nor money, even tried and tested brute force and ignorance with lashings of swearing did nothing.
So off I trot to the garage with caliper in hand to see if they can help. They did hoorah!! Popped that piston out, cleaned it up and all was well...except they bent the bejusus out of the bleed nipple, that hole at the bottom is not so much a hole as a slit now :mad: off to the parts shop I go, do they have the right bit? Of course they don't!! Ordered some off ebay, and with this royal wedding malarkey they may arrive sometime next year I imagine :shobon:

tl;dr front brakes :suicide:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Why didn't you remove the other pad? In the future, if you're going to rebuild calipers, you can put a towel or something soft in front of the piston and carefully pump them out with the lever. No having to worry about marring the edges then.

Doesn't work so well with multi piston calipers where it comes from all sides, but it's a start. :shobon:

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Installed the Addmore Lighting Kit for my Givi E52 topbox:

http://ravensys.net/stuff/addmore/IMG_1638.JPG

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Mock up install of the saddlebags, missing a buckle to strap it down 100% so I need to find one somewhere

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Mock up install of the saddlebags, missing a buckle to strap it down 100% so I need to find one somewhere

I think you put them on backwards.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Sync'd the carbs on the Jickser, then took it on a twisty road ride and froze my rear end off. Loved every minute of it.

Also I was on reserve the whole time, with no gas station within 60 km, and my bike literally died the second I turned into the first one I found. I was laughing SO hard. I've always heard of people's bikes sputtering and dying just as they enter a gas station, not thinking that its very likely but it actually happend to me today. Oh man, what luck. :D

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

Crayvex posted:

I think you put them on backwards.

Well I'll be ...

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I came home from class to find a teensy package on my doorstep.

My replacement oil reservoir cap and spark plug arrived. Last weekend, I bought a non-running 2001 Vino and brought it back from undeath by cleaning the corrosion out of the carburetor jets with a twig and am now replacing broken or worn-out bits as I get to them. Soon, I'll find out if the iffy turn signals, lack of electric start, and asthmatic horn can all be remedied with a new battery.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Took the scoot for a run yesterday on one of the better local roads to visit an old friend of mine. 40 Km there and back. Yeah, on the KLR it would be no big deal, but 10" wheels and rain made the run on the P200E with drum brakes quite interesting. The in-helmet speaker for the Scala system worked great though. Unfortunately the loudness depends on the quality of the production of the music or podcast that I'm listening to, but that's no big deal. The quality of the receiving end of cellphone is pretty good too, I checked that out while driving down a deserted st. Next up is changing out the exhaust, I'm thinking it's totally clogged up. I'm going to see if the local Vespa dealer has a replacement, but I'm doubting it. I guess I'll have to order online, maybe a Sip Road, and a backrest of some sort so a passenger feels more secure.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
New battery arrived after FedEx called to confirm that I lived in a house. Now, the turn signals work at all revs, the horn is louder, and oddly, the engine no longer races on cold starts. Unfortunately, the electric start still doesn't work. I'll poke around in there some other time to see if it's the relay and not the motor that's hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Swapped a rotor because the old one was probably slightly warped and making a clicking sound, swap pads, swap front sprocket to something a little more reasonable so I'm now basically just +2 in the rear instead of +5.