Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Are they doing dick checks on clearances now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Nah, they took care of that at MEPS

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
It's not trafficking in people if you go to their home nation, right?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I'm pretty sure it's not. Just make sure you tell them the details just to be sure.

The US never prosecutes sex crimes which Americans commit abroad.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Roving Reporter posted:

I'm pretty sure it's not. Just make sure you tell them the details just to be sure.

The US never prosecutes sex crimes which Americans commit abroad in non-extradition treaty countries.

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

How hard is is to get waivers? I'm going AF and I know they're picky. I made a mistake when I was 18 so I'm gonna need a credit waiver and I told my recruiter about an expunged charge on my sealed record (I'm an idiot and got scared by that "IF YOU LIE TO GET INTO THE MILITARY, YOU'RE GOING TO JAIL" sign in my recruiting office) and now she wants a waiver for that too.

Am I hosed out of this branch?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Don't lie to the military, if they find out later you can get in a lot of trouble. The poo poo on your sealed record possibly might have come out later when they do a clearance check on you.

The Air Force lets in all manners of retards and criminals so unless you did something really bad you're probably not hosed.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Eyre Kneed posted:

How hard is is to get waivers? I'm going AF and I know they're picky. I made a mistake when I was 18 so I'm gonna need a credit waiver and I told my recruiter about an expunged charge on my sealed record (I'm an idiot and got scared by that "IF YOU LIE TO GET INTO THE MILITARY, YOU'RE GOING TO JAIL" sign in my recruiting office) and now she wants a waiver for that too.

I thought expunged charges effectively didn't exist?

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

They don't, but when they're taking your information there's a section that says list any charges, even if they're sealed.

Eyre Kneed fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 27, 2011

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.
My recruiter told me to lie and it worked out.

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...

Eyre Kneed posted:

No man. I had to get a Medical and Morality waiver and it took a while but mine went through. Even had to talk to an O-6 on the phone and explain the situation to her and she approved my waiver on the spot. The only hard part for me was getting my recruiter to finally decided to do a waiver for me because I had to show him how serious I was about joining up. Now every situation is different and you could be totally out of luck for some reason, but you definitely aren't hosed out of the Air Force yet.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

grover posted:

I'm not 100% certain but I'm pretty sure that only a Presidential or Gubernatorial Pardon can completely remove something from your criminal record, to the point where it can't be detected by the government background check a recruiter has done.

I do know that a juvenile criminal charge from when I was twelve, which was either sealed or expunged, showed up on my background check. I was twenty at the time and had completely forgotten about the entire episode (along with most of middle school, gently caress middle school).

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
And I mean really, why lie? Almost anything can be waivered, short of blatant stuff like "I killed a dude." Almost anything can be found by background check. In one case you get in. In the other case you get your rear end kicked out with at best an Other Than Honorable. Why risk it? Do the legwork and jump through the hoops now so you don't have to live in fear later.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

grover posted:

gently caress, haven't you people ever seen The Client?

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

Thanks for the quick answers, guys. I talked to my recruiter and she told me I did the right thing and that my ASVAB score was high enough that if I was serious about joining, I shouldn't catch too much poo poo.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Oconus, army, trying to go back conus for the next three years. Tried to get in touch with someone about orders a year out to see if they had an inclining of where we were going. Said to contact them six months out. Are they loving us around to send us to some shithole like Polk (or generally loving us around?) or is that pretty standard for oconus? I'm hearing a mix from a lot of different people regarding this and I'd like to know what GIP has to say on it.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
On a short term tour to korea I got my orders 6 months out and they were to polk :pray:

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
I spent two years in Korea, came down on orders a month before my AIP was approved (Orders to Lewis), then 6 mo before I came back after two years, I came down on orders to Polk as well.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Hey man, so....according to my ERB I have 209 loving points. Is this the finalized version of the new points and how do I update this poo poo? still with a 3355 or what

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Hey man, so....according to my ERB I have 209 loving points. Is this the finalized version of the new points and how do I update this poo poo? still with a 3355 or what

Some stuff from a FAQ:

d. Question: How will my current (3355 system) promotion point scores be affected by the promotion changes effective 1 June 2011?

Answer: Effective with 1 June 2011 promotions, you will have a revised promotion point score automatically calculated by using promotion point eligible data that exists in your Personnel and Training Records. Promotions effective for 1 June 2011 and after will use the Soldier‟s real-time score in calculating the monthly cut-off scores for each MOS.

a. Question: What is the procedure for Soldiers adding additional points following their board appearance? Once they have been integrated to the Promotion Standing List and affected changes through ERB updates, are there further requirements to ensure that the promotion points are updated?

Answer: After eMILPO and ATRRS updates, Soldiers should verify their PPW for correct promotion points by comparing their PPW with their ERB and training records. For further assistance, see your BDE/BN S1.
Steps to access your PPW:
- Soldiers (Private (E1) – Sergeant(5)) can log into the PPW from the AKO website: https://www.us.army.mil/
- Under Army Links click on Enlisted Promotions, at the bottom of the screen, check the box left of submit, then click the submit button. On the next screen, click CAC Login or type in your AKO username and password, then click submit.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
That PPW link is dead last I checked :mad:

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

That PPW link is dead last I checked :mad:

Here are two blurbs from G1 that might help. The second one says that they should have at least started firing up the on-line PPW yesterday:

1. HOT!! IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED FOR CONVERSION TO NEW PROMOTION POINT WORKSHEET (PPW). From HRC: Testing of the new Promotion Point Worksheet (PPW) revealed 15,556 Promotable Soldiers E4/E5 will become "Not Eligible" when HRC loads the initial data into the PPW on 28 Apr 11. Attached with this post is a list depicting reasons the Soldiers will become ineligible. Immediate action is required by units to update the Soldiers data in eMILPO NLT COB 27 Apr 11. If this data is not updated the Soldiers will be removed from the Promotion Standing List. The largest population of Soldiers will become ineligible because their eMILPO APFT score has not been updated. There are also significant issues with incorrect military and civilian education level completed. Visit the following link for more information. https://forums.army.mil/CommunityBrowser.aspx?id=1415490

2. CONVERSION TO NEW PROMOTION POINT WORKSHEET (PPW) IN PROGRESS. In regards to the transition to the new PPW, we have been receiving posts on S1NET this morning from Soldiers saying that their "promotable status" has been removed from their ORBs. This is due to the transition to the new PPW. Old points are being removed from the system, and the new points under the new PPW will appear (for those Soldiers who are still promotable) after the initial load of the new PPW is complete, which is currently scheduled for 28 Apr 11 (see para 1 above). https://forums.army.mil/CommunityBrowser.aspx?id=1415490

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Goons! Let's see if you guys can help me again. My guard unit is deploying for a year in January 2012. I ETS Dec 2012. I'm extending and was told I'll get $500 a month each month for the year I'm deployed. Is this an exaggeration? I ask because I had to extend in AD and was only paid extra for the months the extension was active.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

It's called DESP. When the wife isn't doped to the gills on pain meds I'll ask her for specifics about it, but the $500 a month figure is correct.

VotGs
Dec 15, 2003

Don't mind me.
Anybody have a -good- idea where brand new 19Ks might likely be assigned? And the likelihood of any particular post? Spouse is graduating OSUT in a few months, and I'm trying to get feelers about what I have to look forward to.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

VotGs posted:

Anybody have a -good- idea where brand new 19Ks might likely be assigned? And the likelihood of any particular post? Spouse is graduating OSUT in a few months, and I'm trying to get feelers about what I have to look forward to.

I can check requisitions on Monday, but new soldiers don't have much say on where they'll be stationed. Best I can do is tell you if there is a duty station that's trying to suck in a bunch of 10-level tankers, and then you can figure the odds.

VotGs
Dec 15, 2003

Don't mind me.

GreenMeat posted:

I can check requisitions on Monday, but new soldiers don't have much say on where they'll be stationed. Best I can do is tell you if there is a duty station that's trying to suck in a bunch of 10-level tankers, and then you can figure the odds.

Sweet, works for me, that's all I'm really looking for. Thanks!

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
Sure. Just jog my elbow if you don't hear from me by around noon (it's late and I'm drinking).

Parselmouth
Feb 4, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Breaking in a pair of Altama 9'' desert boots.

At the inside of the heel, where the leather meets the nylon, there's a big gently caress-off annoying ridge that digs into my heel and makes it bleed a lot. The calluses there are pretty thick but it's still digging in and ripping them up.

Does anyone else have that experience with these particular boots, or are mine hosed up?

iceslice
May 20, 2005
Sounds like they just need to be broken in. The procedure I use is to only wear them as much as I want to (as in bring another pair of boots during the duty day, or just wear them around home) until they're comfortable. It just takes time for the material in the heel to break up and become flexible.

It really depends on what you use them for but personally I would just take them into a boot shop and have the heel-cups removed. I've been through 3 pairs of the same style (about to buy my 4th) with the heel and toe cups removed, and they've taken me through hundreds of miles of land nav and road marches. I always have that super thin Vibram some put on them, and they feel like moccasins. They ankle support won't be as good, but once they're broken in you can't beat them in comfort.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

iceslice posted:

Sounds like they just need to be broken in. The procedure I use is to only wear them as much as I want to (as in bring another pair of boots during the duty day, or just wear them around home) until they're comfortable. It just takes time for the material in the heel to break up and become flexible.

It really depends on what you use them for but personally I would just take them into a boot shop and have the heel-cups removed. I've been through 3 pairs of the same style (about to buy my 4th) with the heel and toe cups removed, and they've taken me through hundreds of miles of land nav and road marches. I always have that super thin Vibram some put on them, and they feel like moccasins. They ankle support won't be as good, but once they're broken in you can't beat them in comfort.

Iceslice, you're gonna either be SMA one day or the commander for CAG/etc. You have adapted so well and are 10x above of your peers.

Welcome.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I dig those desert storm style boots, wore a pair for pretty much 2 years straight. After trying out all kinds of different high speed bullshit boots and finding I like the basic HW issue ones better than those, it looks like I'm just going to get another pair of the Altamas when I get home.

Also, Blackhawk's desert ops boots are probably the worst boots I've bought. Uncomfortable and started coming apart within a couple months of use.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Roving Reporter posted:

Iceslice, you're gonna either be SMA one day or the commander for CAG/etc. You have adapted so well and are 10x above of your peers.

Welcome.

i just really like boots. they let me keep walking!

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I'm attempting to do my pre-deployment health assessment online through AKO. When I click on the link, I get a page that displays "You have been authenticated with AKOSSO and are now being redirected to MWDE_HOOD_AKOB." And then it does no such thing. Hep me!

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I'm attempting to do my pre-deployment health assessment online through AKO. When I click on the link, I get a page that displays "You have been authenticated with AKOSSO and are now being redirected to MWDE_HOOD_AKOB." And then it does no such thing. Hep me!

Obtain proper sight alignment/sight picture on computer monitor. Squeeze trigger using slow backward pressure at the bottom of a breath. Repeat as necessary.

I am considering following my own advice w/r/t other online training.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
I registered for the draft when I was 18, but I moved around a bit and I forgot to notify for change of address. I'm 26 and I'm interested in student grants, and I was wondering if failure to notify would affect anything, and if so, what if anything I can do to rectify the situation?

BrandonGK fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 4, 2011

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Are you in America? Never heard of having to tell them you moved.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Are you in America? Never heard of having to tell them you moved.

Yeah, that's what they say on its website.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I wouldn't worry about it. Like, at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

BrandonGK posted:

I registered for the draft when I was 18, but I moved around a bit and I forgot to notify for change of address. I'm 26 and I'm interested in student grants, and I was wondering if failure to notify would affect anything, and if so, what if anything I can do to rectify the situation?

Selective Service? Yeah I wouldn't much give a gently caress. If they want to find you they will.

• Locked thread