Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

shodanjr_gr posted:

gently caress I love the front but it looks like they ran out of money before they got to designing the rear end...

You know that's an absolutely iconic rear end, right? That it's supposed to be like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You know that's an absolutely iconic rear end, right? That it's supposed to be like that?

I'm aware of that. It just looks really out of place in a 2011 car. If the front evolves, then why shouldn't the rear?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Everyone do me a favor and don't link a pic of the rear-end, it's atrocious. Someone here said "Oh, that's where new cars come from" and now I can't get that image out of my head...still.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

shodanjr_gr posted:

gently caress I love the front but it looks like they ran out of money before they got to designing the rear end...

The rear end itself I have no problem with, but the way it forces the rear window to shrink up like that is unfortunate. The whole greenhouse is awfully 2nd-gen Probe looking, which might be turning off some. I don't mind that, either.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

the trouble with modern interpretations is the bulge. Like it's pushing out a turd. The classic look is concave, not convex.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Honestly I think the back end looks just fine. Simple. Clean. Very...
Eat my poo poo while you watch my break lights leave you behind bitch!

Comparing this to a vagina or rear end in a top hat and similarly the Morgan to a penis is an
easy cop-out to having actually look a car over and think it over. Compare it to the cinder blocks on wheels stamped out here in the US and I'd take a either car any day.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

kimbo305 posted:

The whole greenhouse is awfully 2nd-gen Probe looking, which might be turning off some. I don't mind that, either.
Yup, that's exactly what I see too... but I do mind it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Who cares about lovely kit cars.

The new Miata CX-5 crossover is almost ready.

http://ca.autoblog.com/2011/04/29/mazda-cx-5-caught-with-less-camo/

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
http://www.auto123.com/en/news/car-news/2011-new-york-auto-show-2012-nissan-versa-sedan?artid=130579

The 2012 versa looks amazing for 11K, I just hope they have one with stick.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 29, 2011

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

http://www.auto123.com/en/news/car-news/2011-new-york-auto-show-2012-nissan-versa-sedan?artid=130579

why, other than marketing, is this even a sedan? Seriously, look at the trunk picture in that article, why even bother with the 60/40 rear seat?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Linedance posted:

why, other than marketing, is this even a sedan? Seriously, look at the trunk picture in that article, why even bother with the 60/40 rear seat?

I think you answered your own question here. From what I understand about the US market, the thinking goes like this:
"Hatchbacks are for poor people!"
*Buys new sedan for $10k, is smug*

Maybe it's just the photos, but it looks kind of nasty inside.

Throatwarbler posted:

Who cares about lovely kit cars.

The new Miata CX-5 crossover is almost ready.

http://ca.autoblog.com/2011/04/29/mazda-cx-5-caught-with-less-camo/

Whoa, I actually got scared for a moment they were going to pull off something like this:

but based on the Miata (know as MX-5 everywhere).

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
We're entering an era of seriously ugly cars.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The future is now!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Linedance posted:

I honestly don't see what is wrong with it, for 10k it looks pretty drat good

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

mobby_6kl posted:

Maybe it's just the photos, but it looks kind of nasty inside.

It's not the photos.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-nissan-versa-new-york-2011-0/#4073658

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Linedance posted:

That's supposed to be a sedan? Maybe it's just the angle, but that looks like a crossover or some other kind of mini-SUV. Look how tall it is! Look how tall the doors are! That's just tragic.

Readheaded
Dec 22, 2004
Tish and piffle, I cannot conceive how that car with the performance of a car twice its price hasn't even got a teak glovebox or swan skin seatbelts. Inferior rubbish from the colonies, m
Yikes on the versa all around. There was so much that could have gone right.

It didn't :(

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Raluek posted:

That's supposed to be a sedan? Maybe it's just the angle, but that looks like a crossover or some other kind of mini-SUV. Look how tall it is! Look how tall the doors are! That's just tragic.

That's probably just because of the tiny, tiny wheels they fitted on the thing. They look like they belong on a Matchbox car.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

For a car as inexpensive as it is it's not bad. Two tone would have been so much better, though -- Sea Of Light Undifferentiated Grey doesn't work well in anything.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Yeah, the materials look pretty decent for a 10K car, but that's just looks. They might be made from the cheapest hollowest plastics imaginable.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Cream_Filling posted:

I'm actually very impressed that the new Impreza weighs the same as the Focus but adds AWD and a few inches in length.

Focus SE Sedan 2907 lbs
2012 Impreza Sedan 2910 lbs
Chevy Cruze Sedan 3102 lbs
I feel old when I see 3,000 pound-ish cars and think they're about 500 pounds north of a normal car, speaking of early 80's

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Revolvyerom posted:

I feel old when I see 3,000 pound-ish cars and think they're about 500 pounds north of a normal car, speaking of early 80's

This should make you feel better about the weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7wG4uy-Phs

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.
I absolutely recognize that modern cars are safer in every way, I just wish it didn't cost several hundred pounds.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Revolvyerom posted:

I absolutely recognize that modern cars are safer in every way, I just wish it didn't cost several hundred pounds.

The alternative is that it costs several thousands [British] pounds of money in more expensive materials. I'm hope aluminum will get cheaper to use over time.

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008
I just saw a new Focus in a parking lot today and it looks massive! I actually thought it was a Taurus at first.

Will the Fiat 500 sell well in the States? or will it fail for being too small and "over-priced"? If it sells remarkably well, will the other giants take notice and make a true compact car?

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

Corvettefisher posted:

Hot Wheels Lexus

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

gigButt posted:

Will the Fiat 500 sell well in the States? or will it fail for being too small and "over-priced"? If it sells remarkably well, will the other giants take notice and make a true compact car?

I think we are still waiting on the U.S. makers to respond to the Mini.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

oRenj9 posted:

I think we are still waiting on the U.S. makers to respond to the Mini.

The problem with American designs (sans Ford maybe) is they all try to go for the intimidating, muscular look whereas European cars are more ... elegant, with smoother lines and less bulkiness. Now when a smooth design is applied to a hatchback, or any other tiny car, they look good, or not as bad anyway. When you apply muscular ferociousness to a compact, you get this:

Though Chrysler is definitely trying with the new 300c.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

gigButt posted:

I just saw a new Focus in a parking lot today and it looks massive! I actually thought it was a Taurus at first.

I was following one yesterday and didn't recognize what it was. When I got close enough to read the badge, I was surprised it wasn't a redesigned Fusion...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Scabrous Teat posted:

Hot Wheels Lexus
I can't agree with this enough. Seriously, I actually thought this was another Lexus small car hybrid for a second.

And as for small car styling, it's a tricky thing because of the generally weird proportions you see with small cars. By definition, have to be very short, but at the same time you still need a certain minimal height so you can fit humans and also a disproportionate amount of bulk so you can have enough structure for crash safety.

This means you have the traditional "little kid" proportions, especially when you want to have rounded lines.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Browsing motor trend at 2am, as i often do, and i ran across their review of the 2011 GMC sierra 2500HD when something struck me.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/trucks/1012_2011_gmc_sierra_2500hd_work_truck_test/specs.html

Curb weight 6522 lb
0-60 mph 5.9 sec
Quarter mile 14.8 sec @ 91.3 mph

That's as quick as pretty much any current v6 auto pony car. Something that weighs 6522lbs. drat.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Powershift posted:

Browsing motor trend at 2am, as i often do, and i ran across their review of the 2011 GMC sierra 2500HD when something struck me.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/trucks/1012_2011_gmc_sierra_2500hd_work_truck_test/specs.html

Curb weight 6522 lb
0-60 mph 5.9 sec
Quarter mile 14.8 sec @ 91.3 mph

That's as quick as pretty much any current v6 auto pony car. Something that weighs 6522lbs. drat.
It gets 11mpg in realistic driving settings. Imagine how much it burns through during that 1/4 mile run.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nitrox posted:

It gets 11mpg in realistic driving settings. Imagine how much it burns through during that 1/4 mile run.

11? probably closer to 20.

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2010/08/2010-hd-fuel-economy-test.html

The 7560lb crew cab 4x4 did 19.66mpg over a 160 mile course unloaded, and 13.28mpg with a 10,000lb trailer.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Toyota has an excellent, effective new marketing campaign, check out the commercials!
http://www.toyota.com/corollamiku/

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Toyota has an excellent, effective new marketing campaign, check out the commercials!

Is this a joke?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I'm so very glad that I have no idea who or what Hatsune Miku is.

E: Needs anime voice acted donger.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MATLAB 1988 posted:

What the hell is up with Toyota's marketing department? First they have the kids-making-fun-of-other-kids commercials with that Highlander and now selling Corollas with anime?

:psyduck:

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I'm in the market for a new car to zoom around in and I decided I want a RWD coupe, but I am trying to keep it in the mid 20's range. After doing some research, I remembered the Hyundai Genesis. Now I know it has been mentioned within the last 15 pages of this thread, but there have been some rumors flying that make this thing sound pretty tempting. If nothing else, it is going to be one hell of a contender for the Toyota and Subaru FT-86 twins.

Warning, rumor content below since nothing has been confirmed, but is very likely.

Most of this comes from a C&D article linked below. It seems the body will be getting a slight facelift, meaning new front and rear bumpers as well as possibly some other minor tweaks. But what is really exciting is what's happening under the sheet metal for both the coupe and the sedan.

Coupe:
The 3.8L V6 will most likely be getting direct injection, taking the engine from the current 306hp and 266 ft lbs. to 333hp and 291 ft lbs, and the 2.0L turbo will be getting the engine from the 2011 Sonata, which has direct injection as well and pumps 274hp and 269 ft lbs through a twin scroll turbo compared to the '11 model's 210/233 rating. That is a significant bump for what appears to be no big difference in price range. I feel bad for the poor saps that just bought the '11 models. Very reminiscent of the 2008 to 2009 WRX "265" fiasco.

The other interesting part about the coupe is this:

Car and Driver posted:

"There is a distinct possibility that this car, seen testing in the snow, is packing all-wheel drive, which company CEO John Krafcik has said is headed for the Genesis coupe at some point."

http://tinyurl.com/2012gencoupe

Also, what has me even MORE excited is this image, which is pretty clearly a photoshop as there is no official word from Hyundai, but the car forums are a buzz that this could be KIA's future version of the RWD genesis coupe platform. If that is the case, I'll take two please.

Onto more concrete news. This was mentioned very briefly about 30 pages ago, but now there are pics!

The 2012 Genesis Sedan has been confirmed to have a new R-Spec trim, which has this badge...

...because it is now sporting a 5.0 liter V8 making 429hp.

http://tiny.cc/0t7wq

There was a brief rumor that it would be making its way into the coupe, but Hyundai apparently said that the chassis was not designed for that engine. Might have to wait until the next generation.

The 2012 models are slated for Fall '11, so it looks like I'll be waiting for a bit to see how they will compare to the FT-86. It's going to be an interesting 2012 in the RWD sports coupe market next year.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

KakerMix posted:

What the hell is up with Toyota's marketing department? First they have the kids-making-fun-of-other-kids commercials with that Highlander and now selling Corollas with anime?

:psyduck:

They haven't had to market anything for ages, just like Honda. poo poo, Honda's ads are either just a rotating car on a white background or that annoying cartoon dude.

The best ads lately have been coming from Dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

BoostCreep posted:

Looks like Kia's really out to ape every current VAG car.