Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Currently watching Game of Thrones on my EVO with the HBO Go app. Freaking rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Astiesan posted:

I guess I'm kind of submitting and opinion and asking for feedback, as I said I'll be picking up Sprint with a fresh contract in 1-2 months. I really want a hardware keyboard though. I remote desktop back home a lot, and trying to use any kind of remote desktop software with a software keyboard is nigh impossible.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I'm also anxious to see how the GV works out. I pretty much only give out my voice number now, so I'd probably take the option to have a separate number and forward it, but GV is still my primary number.

What about the HTC Arrive?

JohnCrichton
Mar 6, 2007
Welcome to the Federation Starship SS Buttcrack.

Technogeek posted:

It means they only allow you to spend up to so much per month. Generally applied to accounts that have bad or no credit, and gets removed after you pay your bills consistently on time for a long enough period.

but why does the spending limit and spending limit fee go away if autopay is setup?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

JohnCrichton posted:

but why does the spending limit and spending limit fee go away if autopay is setup?

The spending limit doesn't go away, just the fee. They're assuming that they are more likely to get your money if autopay is set up than if you have to do it manually.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Just curious what is the feeling on the MDPA protection plan by Radio Shack vs. TEP? According to their web site no deductible.

I don't know Radioshack's, but Best Buy has a similar one, main difference is sliiiiightly higher monthly payment, no coverage on lost/theft, and sometimes swapping out for a new one sucks (although that can depend on how strict the rep is with the rules). Compare the plans.

brc64 posted:

So if I was eligible before April 1st but lost it due to Silver, they aren't going to help me out?

That is correct, and yeah just call retentions about it.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm guessing no luck for someone who was going to get their upgrade with Premiere on 7/1 who has been with Sprint a little over 6 years?

I remember before premiere they'd bump up your eligibility date 2 weeks or so, would I be able to get in via that?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Seeing as though I have no choice on the upgrade (eligible since December, heyooo) than to wait for another 5 months I'm thinking it wouldn't be too bad because then the 3D will have likely had some of the early high-brick-possibility issues worked out of the rooting and modding process.

Chances are that no mod support will be available for ANY of the 3D functions of the display and camera until several months after release, at the very least.

Here's to hoping it's not locked by HTC or abandoned by modders like the Epic. It sucks knowing that this phone has potential but no chance of actually reaching that potential.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

kahm posted:

with the google integration, putting my sprint number to google:

do you get texts to both the messaging apps AND the GV app? or just the GV app?

Didn't see this answered.

Interestingly, how it works is you can MAKE texts through either a SMS app or GV, but you only receive them through GV.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Didn't see this answered.

Interestingly, how it works is you can MAKE texts through either a SMS app or GV, but you only receive them through GV.

What, no you don't. You receive them on both too. You can make texts on either app and you can receive texts on your SMS app, GV app, or both.

SKYS THE LIMIT FRIEND.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Jensen posted:

What, no you don't. You receive them on both too. You can make texts on either app and you can receive texts on your SMS app, GV app, or both.

SKYS THE LIMIT FRIEND.

Are those options? Out of the box, I could make texts from either app, but only received them in Voice. And any I sent from Voice wouldn't show up in a messaging app, but vice versa would show up in both.

Astiesan
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, about that.

CharlesM posted:

What about the HTC Arrive?

Oh no please. Not another Windows phone.

I had a few of them, I don't have any of them anymore, and didn't quickly.

On another topic, the person earlier who was saying about the Epic:

Do you own one and for how long? Do you regret the purchase?

In regards to the Shift:

I really didn't like the keyboard on the shift, that's why I kind of discounted it. The idea was excellent, but it was far from the best HTC keyboard I've used, I know several Epic owners, they haven't ever had any complaints about the keyboard and one of them spends practically 8 hours a day texting, so I think he'd know pretty fast.

Doesn't the Shift have a 100% locked down bootloader as well? Poking around the internet it doesn't look like they have a fully working root for it yet.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
One thing I have noticed is that GV can get some SMSs faster than regular. Now only if they could program a way to keep both regular and GV notifications allowed and silence the other once the message arrived.

Astiesan posted:

Doesn't the Shift have a 100% locked down bootloader as well? Poking around the internet it doesn't look like they have a fully working root for it yet.

The Shift had full root almost two months ago I think, its got CM7 which is good enough for me.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

Really? Just... I can't... :psypop:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WELP.

My phone appears to be a total brick. No response from attempting to turn it on in download mode, recovery, or normal. It does get warm when plugged into a charger, but there are no other signs of life.

I had it plugged in to my computer at work via USB, to charge. As I got up from my desk to go down to the cafe I grabbed my phone as I normally do and went to put it in my pocket. This is when I noticed this thing was loving hot. I don't mean "oh it's been working hard and is a little warm," I mean "Consumer electronics do not get this hot" hot. Steering wheel on a sunny day hot. I hit the power button to see if it would wake up, no dice. I pull the battery, wait a bit, replace. No luck. I plug it back into the USB sans-battery to see if I can get ANYTHING out of this bitch. Nothing. Fabulous.

So, I'm going to the Sprint corporate store tomorrow. I ordered the phone online from Sprint so there shouldn't be any issue with bringing it back to a corporate store. It's an Epic, so it's within the 12-mo warranty. That may also explain why it decided to fry itself in silence less than three feet from me. loving Korean manners.

Anyway, I wasn't counting on defective equipment, so I did not opt for TEP (guess what I'm going to be doing now) but was assured by a chat rep on the site that as it is within 12mos, and it can be determined to be a mechanical failure (i.e. not something I did) then it will be replaced and the fees will be waived. Is this the case? If this gimp-rear end phone of mine can't be revived in-store and it is found to be no fault of mine, is it a free replacement? Or is there some kind of deductible to pay?

Additionally, is there ANY way I can bullshit myself into an Evo instead of another Epic? Or do I have to settle for another of these pieces and just keep it on an icepack to keep from loving killing itself again?

Edit: I decided to try plugging it into my home computer for shits and giggles and I find that Samsung hates my rear end. My phone is working now. Had to pull the battery, plug it into the computer, then slip the battery back in as it was attempting to load the battery gauge. From there I let it load the battery gauge and then turned it on. gently caress you Samsung, gently caress you.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 30, 2011

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Watch it burn your house down.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

WELP.

My phone appears to be a total brick. No response from attempting to turn it on in download mode, recovery, or normal. It does get warm when plugged into a charger, but there are no other signs of life.

I had it plugged in to my computer at work via USB, to charge. As I got up from my desk to go down to the cafe I grabbed my phone as I normally do and went to put it in my pocket. This is when I noticed this thing was loving hot. I don't mean "oh it's been working hard and is a little warm," I mean "Consumer electronics do not get this hot" hot. Steering wheel on a sunny day hot. I hit the power button to see if it would wake up, no dice. I pull the battery, wait a bit, replace. No luck. I plug it back into the USB sans-battery to see if I can get ANYTHING out of this bitch. Nothing. Fabulous.

So, I'm going to the Sprint corporate store tomorrow. I ordered the phone online from Sprint so there shouldn't be any issue with bringing it back to a corporate store. It's an Epic, so it's within the 12-mo warranty. That may also explain why it decided to fry itself in silence less than three feet from me. loving Korean manners.

Anyway, I wasn't counting on defective equipment, so I did not opt for TEP (guess what I'm going to be doing now) but was assured by a chat rep on the site that as it is within 12mos, and it can be determined to be a mechanical failure (i.e. not something I did) then it will be replaced and the fees will be waived. Is this the case? If this gimp-rear end phone of mine can't be revived in-store and it is found to be no fault of mine, is it a free replacement? Or is there some kind of deductible to pay?

Additionally, is there ANY way I can bullshit myself into an Evo instead of another Epic? Or do I have to settle for another of these pieces and just keep it on an icepack to keep from loving killing itself again?

Edit: I decided to try plugging it into my home computer for shits and giggles and I find that Samsung hates my rear end. My phone is working now. Had to pull the battery, plug it into the computer, then slip the battery back in as it was attempting to load the battery gauge. From there I let it load the battery gauge and then turned it on. gently caress you Samsung, gently caress you.

If the phone is defective you are covered, just a $35 fee. They will only swap for another Epic. What I recommend if you want an Evo is get your Epic working, sell it on craigslist and use the money to buy an Evo off craigslist (they go for the same price overall).

And to the dude wanting the Epic because you don't like the Shift, up to you, but Samsung sucks, the Epic is not much of an exception.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Astiesan posted:

Oh no please. Not another Windows phone.

I had a few of them, I don't have any of them anymore, and didn't quickly.

On another topic, the person earlier who was saying about the Epic:

Do you own one and for how long? Do you regret the purchase?

In regards to the Shift:

I really didn't like the keyboard on the shift, that's why I kind of discounted it. The idea was excellent, but it was far from the best HTC keyboard I've used, I know several Epic owners, they haven't ever had any complaints about the keyboard and one of them spends practically 8 hours a day texting, so I think he'd know pretty fast.

You are better off with the shift if you prefer a reliable phone that won't get abandoned nearly immediately by it's manufacturer.

The screen and keyboard may be nice on an Epic but I've had mine since September and truly regret not going for the Evo. It's a phone that looks good on paper but is a huge bitch to own. Earlier in this thread I likened it to a Ferrari that punches you in the balls every time you get behind the wheel.

Trust me, the issues I've had with this phone are not ones that can just be flashed out with one of the small handful of roms even available for it. Just get the Shift and choose dealing with a keyboard over dealing with a cripplephone like the Epic. The update debacle is a bit of an overreaction, but the "gently caress buying another Samsung phone ever again" sentiment is waaay more than just getting updates six months late.

E: Craigslist is shady as gently caress here and I wouldn't trust anyone I find on there, myself. Part of that is from what I deal with at work, part of it is from actually selling a couple things on CL in the past. I'm extremely leery of putting electronics on there and even moreso about buying them. I'd rather deal with my Epic for another 5 months than risk Craigslist.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 30, 2011

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Does anyone know if the Nexus S has a night clock feature like the Pre? That is about the one thing I seriously need if I buy a cell phone.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

TLG James posted:

Does anyone know if the Nexus S has a night clock feature like the Pre? That is about the one thing I seriously need if I buy a cell phone.

What is a "night clock feature"? Is is, like, a dimmed screen with a clock for use at night? I'm sure there's an app or widget that can do something like that.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
If it is a clock that displays all night, wouldn't it make more sense to just go buy a $10 alarm clock and not limit your smartphone decision to a tiny feature that you only use while you're sleeping?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
drat it, still can't get full GV integration. I can get it to do my voicemail like regular GV, but it still says I'm ineligible for full Sprint + GV integration...guess I'll have to cal Sprint or something.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

DrBouvenstein posted:

drat it, still can't get full GV integration. I can get it to do my voicemail like regular GV, but it still says I'm ineligible for full Sprint + GV integration...guess I'll have to cal Sprint or something.

Wouldn't you have to call Google and not Sprint? Does it actually say ineligible somewhere? Mine doesn't seem to reference the integration anywhere whatsoever. I too am getting upset that it hasn't rolled out to me.

glitch77
Apr 22, 2006
Just as a note, z4root works on the Kyocera Echo.

My GF got one and loves how flashy it looks, I like the full screen keyboard for texting personally.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Wouldn't you have to call Google and not Sprint? Does it actually say ineligible somewhere? Mine doesn't seem to reference the integration anywhere whatsoever. I too am getting upset that it hasn't rolled out to me.

The exact message is:

quote:

Unfortunately, Google Voice cannot be enabled on this Sprint phone. Please contact Sprint for more details as to why this cannot be enabled.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Help! My wife spilled tea with honey on her Epic, and now it works, but the keyboard has certain letters that if you type them, three letters come out. The water damage indicators both triggered, so that sucks, and we do have TEP. What is the best way to deal with this? Take it to the store, and they replace keyboard? Do I need to flash to stock and/or unroot? Or because the water sensors triggered I have to pay $100?

hoonchops
Mar 4, 2009

Schadenfreude is so nutritious

Jensen posted:

SKYS THE LIMIT FRIEND.

I can send using handcent but only receive in the GVoice app. Calls to mobiles are coming out of my minutes despite being on 'everything data 900' (includes 'Unlimited Any Mobile, Anytime')

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

hoonchops posted:

I can send using handcent but only receive in the GVoice app. Calls to mobiles are coming out of my minutes despite being on 'everything data 900' (includes 'Unlimited Any Mobile, Anytime')

Texts will come to handcent if you have the below checked in your Google voice settings:

Also, calls shouldn't come out of your minutes if you are calling a cell.

On the backend, you are still going over sprint if you call from your phone (to a domestic number). It does hit a google server, but the call doesn't actually go through it. This means you will still get all your free mobile to mobile. The only time the call will actually go over the google service instead of just Sprint is when you call internationally.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eyecannon posted:

Help! My wife spilled tea with honey on her Epic, and now it works, but the keyboard has certain letters that if you type them, three letters come out. The water damage indicators both triggered, so that sucks, and we do have TEP. What is the best way to deal with this? Take it to the store, and they replace keyboard? Do I need to flash to stock and/or unroot? Or because the water sensors triggered I have to pay $100?

Water damage is $100 deductable no leeway. Just go to phoneclaim.com/sprint and you can file, as long as it's before like, 8pm central you will get the phone the next day. You can bill the $100 to your account. And they don't care about it being rooted and having a custom ROM.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

If my dad bought the Epic from RadioShack under his number (he's the only one eligible for an upgrade) we could switch it over to my brother's number right? My dad doesn't care for Android and my brother could really use the upgrade from the Hero.

I know these Samsung phones aren't the best for certain things but for $50 that's a drat steal.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

If my dad bought the Epic from RadioShack under his number (he's the only one eligible for an upgrade) we could switch it over to my brother's number right? My dad doesn't care for Android and my brother could really use upgrade from the Hero.

I know these Samsung phones aren't the best for certain things but for $50 that's a drat steal.

Yeah, although be sure they never put it on his line, because if they swap it and then swap the hero back on, that would be a service swap and the hero would start getting charged $10 a month. So assuming radioshack is ok with doing it like that you are fine.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

Duckman2008 posted:

Water damage is $100 deductable no leeway. Just go to phoneclaim.com/sprint and you can file, as long as it's before like, 8pm central you will get the phone the next day. You can bill the $100 to your account. And they don't care about it being rooted and having a custom ROM.

Awesome, thanks! Just curious, is that an official or unofficial policy about about the ROM thing?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eyecannon posted:

Awesome, thanks! Just curious, is that an official or unofficial policy about about the ROM thing?

Right now Sprint overlooks it in all cases because they don't have a definite way to show root and all that. There have been mixed reports on how much Sprint cares.

Either way, any debate on it is really more on whether ROMs void warranty (and whether carriers can use it to justify charging $100). In your case the warranty is already void (damage), so it really doesn't matter. Insurance covers everything, including someone completely screwing up their phone (which of course rarely happens with android) .

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Samsung SPH-D600: Android + WinMax

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

quote:

Samsung SPH_D600 will features a 480×320 display

:stare:

Oh, to give an update on my "hey my Epic is a piece of poo poo" situation, it died again and has been unable to be revived so I did two things. I called Retentions and had my upgrade date moved up from October to now, and set an appointment at the Sprint store to have them check to ensure the phone is dead dead dead before replacing.

In retrospect I should have also gotten TEP on the thing during that call just to have the pleasure of dropping it as hard as I possibly can.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

That phone sucks.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Upgrade time. Like an hour from now. Wife has an Evo, and a two-line data plan. I currently have a dumb phone.

Leaning hard toward the Evo Shift. I cannot type a 16 character alphanumeric password in to the Evo virtual keyboard. I've experimented with my wife's evo for an hour or more, and I cannot get used to the touchscreen.

Reassure me that I want an Evo Shift. I want to be able to be able to google poo poo in the car, and that is the overwhelming majority of what I will do with it.

This the way to go? I don't really care about call quality, since I don't really call people, I just want internet and schedule everywhere.

Is the Epic still not worth having in my circumstance?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Slo-Tek posted:

Upgrade time. Like an hour from now. Wife has an Evo, and a two-line data plan. I currently have a dumb phone.

Leaning hard toward the Evo Shift. I cannot type a 16 character alphanumeric password in to the Evo virtual keyboard. I've experimented with my wife's evo for an hour or more, and I cannot get used to the touchscreen.

Reassure me that I want an Evo Shift. I want to be able to be able to google poo poo in the car, and that is the overwhelming majority of what I will do with it.

This the way to go? I don't really care about call quality, since I don't really call people, I just want internet and schedule everywhere.

Do not get the Epic.

An hour isn't long enough to get used to a touchscreen keyboard. Also, if she was using the stock EVO keyboard instead of the Gingrbread keyboard that is another handicap.

Shift is fine though.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Slo-Tek posted:

I'm not sure if you're devoted to android or not, but if the keyboard is a big deal you should try out the keyboard on the Arrive (a WP7 phone). It's excellent.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Dammit come on Surprise. 4G is slowly coming online in Phoenix but not quick enough for me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

thisdude23 posted:

That phone sucks.

It sounds like mid-range hardware and most likely a Droid Pro/Blackberry style portrait keyboard. If it's AMOLED, it should run for days on a charge with that small of a screen.