Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Little update from ChangeInLibya:

quote:

Misrata: Revolutionaries block a Gaddafi attack from the east and @NATO jets are striking Gaddafi in the outskirts now

quote:

Clarification of Misrata curfew: Being imposed on families by freedom fighters so that they can defend and guard streets at night

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Namarrgon posted:

The funny thing is that even if it's all true and Gaddafi murders everyone in Misrata there'd still be people in this very thread arguing against intervention!

If he uses chemical weapons despite a month of airstrikes, then the only thing that's going to stop him is a ground invasion. Call me evil, but I'd rather the nation I live in doesn't embark on a third ground war in 10 years.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Wait with 'intervention' I mean what we're doing right now. Is there a double meaning I'm unaware of?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It is entirely in the realm of possibility that the rebels could be fabricating or exagerrating claims of napalm bombs and gas masks in response to the claim that Gadaffi's son has been killed. There's very much a propaganda war going on here, and NATO tends to react depending on what the rebels are communicating.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

At least it'll be pretty obvious if it's true or not in the next 24 hours because of the amount of foreign journalists in Misarata.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

VikingSkull posted:

If he uses chemical weapons despite a month of airstrikes, then the only thing that's going to stop him is a ground invasion. Call me evil, but I'd rather the nation I live in doesn't embark on a third ground war in 10 years.

Maybe the euros can curtail some of their nice social programs to pay for some more ammo if it comes to that. Instead of pointing fingers at us to do something, while simultaneously laughing about how backwards we are with no health care and homeless people everywhere.

Meanwhile the Italians seem to be primarily concerned only about keeping refugees out, mistreating or repatriating the ones who have actually made it, and begging for money to compensate them for what little aid they have actually given.

MJ_Turbo
Oct 15, 2005
da fuq?

Pedrophile posted:

If Gadaffi just happens to be next to a radar dish or a missile launcher or something that could be possibly used to murder a Libyan well then that's just collateral damage.

USAF_Rules_of_Engagement.txt

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Claims on Twitter that an aid ship was hit by Gaddafi in Misarata's port, killing two people.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Baddog posted:

Maybe the euros can curtail some of their nice social programs to pay for some more ammo if it comes to that. Instead of pointing fingers at us to do something, while simultaneously laughing about how backwards we are with no health care and homeless people everywhere.

You sound bitter.

Deverse
Apr 14, 2004
Well if we end up putting forces on the ground anyone want to join me in starting a portable shitter company and grab a few contracts over there?

Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot
Well since Gadaffi covered the guy with a green tarp it can either mean two things:

1, that the body really isn't his son

2, there is a very big hole in the guy's face he doesn't want us to see

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Pedrophile posted:

Well since Gadaffi covered the guy with a green tarp it can either mean two things:

Or maybe he doesn't want his dead kid on display like a trophy, or maybe a combination of that and 2, or maybe he is doing like any culture in the world and wanting to cover him out of respect?

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

shotgunbadger posted:

Or maybe he doesn't want his dead kid on display like a trophy, or maybe a combination of that and 2, or maybe he is doing like any culture in the world and wanting to cover him out of respect?

Considering how much bullshit Gaddafi and his regime like to make up for propaganda usage, there's no reason people shouldn't be suspicious about these things. Gaddaffi did the same sort of thing in 1986 when we bombed his house.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Ace Oliveira posted:

Considering how much bullshit Gaddafi and his regime like to make up for propaganda usage, there's no reason people shouldn't be suspicious about these things. Gaddaffi did the same sort of thing in 1986 when we bombed his house.

Except the whole 'the bombing of my home killed my baby' isn't the most insane claim and was never really proven wrong other then 'well it's Gaddafi!'

I'm not saying it's definitely true but there's no reason to believe or disbelieve it yet really.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

shotgunbadger posted:

Except the whole 'the bombing of my home killed my baby' isn't the most insane claim and was never really proven wrong other then 'well it's Gaddafi!'

I'm not saying it's definitely true but there's no reason to believe or disbelieve it yet really.

'Well it's Gaddafi!' is a pretty solid reason to disbelieve this latest claim seeing as the guy's been constantly lying to the world ever since the first protests started.

Don't forget that the regime's made claims about supposed casualties before and they were pretty transparently false.

Crameltonian fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 1, 2011

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Crameltonian posted:

'Well it's Gaddafi!' is a pretty solid reason to disbelieve this latest claim seeing as the guy's been constantly lying to the world ever since the first protests started.

Pretty sure his argument is that "I don't believe that" and "I disproved that" are two very different things.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

evilweasel posted:

Pretty sure his argument is that "I don't believe that" and "I disproved that" are two very different things.

Yea it's totally cool if you don't believe it, yea the dude is not a great source, especially in matters of 'poo poo the west has done to him' and it's just fine to look at him and go 'nope, not into that story', but acting as if it was disproved or something is silly.

Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot
If Gadaffi didn't want to put his family in harm's way then he should have stopped shooting civilians.

Edit: also thank your local service member for taking part in the intervention

Pedrophile fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 1, 2011

MJ_Turbo
Oct 15, 2005
da fuq?

Pedrophile posted:

3.One of the bodies is Gadaffi himself!

Pedrophile posted:

If Gadaffi didn't want to put his family in harm's way then he should have stopped shooting civilians.

:what:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Brown Moses posted:

If he uses gas in Misarata on a large scale then it'll be such an awful crime that I doubt his pals in Russia will be unable to turn a blind eye to it.

It's a little unlikely, assuming that the army acts rationally - nerve gases (or other gas weapons) are highly unuseful weapon, as it depends so greatly on air currents, which especially in a city can be highly unpredictable, and likely most defenders taking refuge inside buildings would be only slightly harmed. Meanwhile an attack force in air tight overalls (or just gas masks for less lethal gas weapons) will exhaust themselves very quickly in a desert climate at this time of year. It would, though, help a force to enter through defensive lines inside BMP's because those have overpressure systems to provide ABC protection. But I don't know if that would be really worth it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pedrophile posted:

I'll thank no soldier for anything.

Deverse
Apr 14, 2004

Nenonen posted:

It's a little unlikely, assuming that the army acts rationally - nerve gases (or other gas weapons) are highly unuseful weapon, as it depends so greatly on air currents, which especially in a city can be highly unpredictable, and likely most defenders taking refuge inside buildings would be only slightly harmed. Meanwhile an attack force in air tight overalls (or just gas masks for less lethal gas weapons) will exhaust themselves very quickly in a desert climate at this time of year. It would, though, help a force to enter through defensive lines inside BMP's because those have overpressure systems to provide ABC protection. But I don't know if that would be really worth it.

As much as I hope you are right I seriously wonder if Gaddafi is listening to his generals or not. I haven't really tracked his campaign so far and can't really tell if the loyalist forces are being intelligent or acting like they are just a extension of Gadaffi waving his arms around crazily.

*edit*
The example I am drawing from is Hitler near the end of WWII. Just food for thought.

Deverse fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 1, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The fetishization of the armed forces is the last thing any sane person should be doing.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
I can't imagine anything more mutually uncomfortable then randomly thanking a soldier for killing dudes. Like I can at least get the general 'thanks for your service' types, kinda, but I don't get how thanking him for a specific involvement would not just make us both very uneasy.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Deverse posted:

As much as I hope you are right I seriously wonder if Gaddafi is listening to his generals or not. I haven't really tracked his campaign so far and can't really tell if the loyalist forces are being intelligent or acting like they are just a extension of Gadaffi waving his arms around crazily.

*edit*
The example I am drawing from is Hitler near the end of WWII. Just food for thought.

It is of course not something that we can tell in advance. Nevertheless, if we look at an Arab dictator that DID under specific circumstances try checmical weapons, Saddam Hussein, but in much more dire situations didn't, we might assume that it's a tactic that simply wouldn't be worth it. Of course this doesn't rule it out, but still it's unlikely.

Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot
Well for me personally I think it would be hypocritical of myself to not show any appreciation for the people deployed in a humanitarian mission that I support.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Pedrophile posted:

Well for me personally I think it would be hypocritical of myself to not show any appreciation for the people deployed in a humanitarian mission that I support.

Well, they're still killing people. I mean, it's good that they're fighting Gaddafi's soldiers so they don't burn down the entire country, but they're still killing people.

Carp
May 29, 2002

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It is entirely in the realm of possibility that the rebels could be fabricating or exagerrating claims of napalm bombs and gas masks in response to the claim that Gadaffi's son has been killed. There's very much a propaganda war going on here, and NATO tends to react depending on what the rebels are communicating.

I'm certain I ran across this video a few days earlier than the 28th under another Youtube account with most of the comments and the post in Arabic. Possible Napalm, or perhaps just liquid fuel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5dtDcjQMFo

shotgunbadger posted:

This article on the 1986 incident was linked to in an Al Jazeera English blog post:

http://www.aim.org/aim-column/nbc%E2%80%99s-mitchell-regurgitates-gaddafi-lies/

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I love the whole concept of "humanitarian" missions that involve killing a shitload of people. Why can't we call it what it is.

At least pedrophile is correct that if you support such doublethink missions, you should show some appreciation for the people who actually have to go do them. Instead of being creeped out that you are standing next to someone who might have actually killed some people because he was ordered to.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

shotgunbadger posted:

But putting his dead kid on tv is kind of already doing that.

I mean if it really happened might as well show everyone the dead body without any covering on it if you're already willing to broadcast the image of it with a tarp on.

I don't think I'm very smart, so I'm surprised this isn't obvious to you as well. Such cases I suppose.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ace Oliveira posted:

Well, they're still killing people. I mean, it's good that they're fighting Gaddafi's soldiers so they don't burn down the entire country, but they're still killing people.

And Gaffy is sniping people from 100 yards in the head that protest and shooting AA into locals. Call it even I guess.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
President Obama to make a statement at 10:30PM - it could be about Libya, it could be about Syria, it could be about the status of cheese production in Wisconsin.

My guess is - Qaddafi is dead.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MaoistBanker posted:

President Obama to make a statement at 10:30PM - it could be about Libya, it could be about Syria, it could be about the status of cheese production in Wisconsin.

My guess is - Qaddafi is dead.

People can't keep secrets like that in Washington. If it was anything important it'd have leaked.

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That's 10 30 et right? Does anyone have a stream?

edit- found one

http://www.whitehouse.gov/live

Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot

automatic posted:

That's 10 30 et right? Does anyone have a stream?

edit- found one

http://www.whitehouse.gov/live

Gotta love the government, HD too!

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Whitehouse.gov and CSPAN.Org are loving awesome.

Here's another that's currently running with commentator analysis.

http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN/

automatic fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 2, 2011

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So this is about OBL?!?

loving awesome. Glad that motherfucker is dead, but I hope this doesn't overshadow Libya too much.

automatic fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 2, 2011

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Just heard the news, guessing this probably warrants a thread of its own given that it's Osama.

Assuming that it's true of course

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

evilweasel posted:

People can't keep secrets like that in Washington. If it was anything important it'd have leaked.

Apparently they can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Can I be among the first to say: lol

• Locked thread