Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

evilweasel posted:

People can't keep secrets like that in Washington. If it was anything important it'd have leaked.

woops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
With Usama dead, I'm going to guess that the name Saif Al Arab is only ever going to show up again in history books of the Libyan Civil War.

Al Jazeera posted:

Gaddafi's tanks are attempting to enter the city through Al-Ghiran," a southwestern suburb near the airport of Libya's third largest city, a rebel official said.

AFP correspondents in the Mediterranean port city heard heavy tank fire from 6 am (0400 GMT), answered by heavy machinegun fire from the rebels. "We have counted six dead and several dozen wounded," a medical official told AFP at around 9:30 am (0730 GMT) after the overnight clashes.

Misrata Rumor posted:

attack coming to misurata from the airport...they are not being allowed to retreat or they will be shot by their own side,

Wow, because throwing tanks and soldiers at Misrata has been such a clever and successful plan. I'm suprised they have any combat units left to throw in there. It sounds like those are the very last operational tanks in the area too.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 2, 2011

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Deverse posted:

Well if we end up putting forces on the ground anyone want to join me in starting a portable shitter company and grab a few contracts over there?

Kenny's already submitted a tender...

Kenny posted:

"There's a smell in here that will outlast religion"

Unknowing
Jan 22, 2005
It's news to me.

Brown Moses posted:

At least it'll be pretty obvious if it's true or not in the next 24 hours because of the amount of foreign journalists in Misarata.

Oh yes, we can certainly rely on those US/EU/Arab League associated journalists to get to the bottom of this. Maybe 6-12 months after Gaddafi is dead and buried, we'll get an accurate review (if someone calls them on their poo poo).

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Unknowing posted:

Oh yes, we can certainly rely on those US/EU/Arab League associated journalists to get to the bottom of this. Maybe 6-12 months after Gaddafi is dead and buried, we'll get an accurate review (if someone calls them on their poo poo).

I'd rather rely on them than the twitter bullshit mill.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Unknowing posted:

By that metric there's no such thing as an accurate source anyway, so might as well take what we have.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Unknowing posted:

Do you really think that all journalists that cover US conflicts are in favor of them? You must be really sheltered.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Unknowing posted:

Oh yes, we can certainly rely on those US/EU/Arab League associated journalists to get to the bottom of this.

So the straight-shooters are the Chinese and Iranians?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Few bits of news:

quote:

Reuters Residents say the besieged town of Yefren say there is a dire need for food, drinking water and medical supplies. Young children are especially vulnerable and if help doesn’t arrive soon, there will be a large number of casualties in the next few weeks, a refugee said.

quote:

Reuters Gaddafi forces halted their bombardment of Misrata after NATO conducted air strikes, but the port is still closed. “There were strikes by NATO on the outskirts of the city today at around midday (1000 GMT),” a spokesman, called Reda, told Reuters by telephone. “The port is still closed. Gaddafi’s forces bombarded it earlier today. The bombardment has now stopped.”

quote:

NATO 2 of the 3 sea mines that were laid by Gaddafi forces in the port of Misrata have been destroyed. NATO minesweepers are still searching for a third drifting mine that is preventing aid supplies to the city. The mines were small and hard to detect but capable of doing serious damage to shipping.

From what I heard an aid ship unloaded in port yesterday, so it might be more of a case that aid ships have to decide to take a risk when unloading, especially as it was said the aid ship from yesterday was unloading while under fire.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

el samayo grande posted:

So the straight-shooters are the Chinese and Iranians?

Don't forget Russians, especially that wholesome young lad Putin.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
Here's a photo of one of the mines:
http://i.imgur.com/syPKF.jpg

Friday morning a french frigate guided by a recon plane intercepted some boats going towards Misrata at high speeds. When they didn't stop, it fired warning shots; a number of the boats turned around while another one sunk. On closer inspection they found this mine, then two others.

(I know nothing of naval warfare - did the french "miss" one of the warning shots and sink that boat ? And how hard is it to catch a drifting mine once it's been localized ?)

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Pureauthor posted:

By that metric there's no such thing as an accurate source anyway, so might as well take what we have.

To be totally fair that is a valid point to bring up since both sides are so heavily entrenched in propaganda wars as well. Of course, he put it in a totally douchey way that just came off as 'so gently caress everything I'mma listen to random twitters!' so that sure didn't help.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
More tweeting.

cjchivers CJ Chivers
Misrata port closed tday to all shipping. Qad forces' attacks there have denied access, threaten to cut off city from sea.
10 minutes ago

It was retweeted by another user that I saw in just a minute, I'm just hoping to see more original information instead of retweets...

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

pylb posted:

Friday morning a french frigate guided by a recon plane intercepted some boats going towards Misrata at high speeds. When they didn't stop, it fired warning shots; a number of the boats turned around while another one sunk. On closer inspection they found this mine, then two others.

(I know nothing of naval warfare - did the french "miss" one of the warning shots and sink that boat ? And how hard is it to catch a drifting mine once it's been localized ?)

There was mention earlier in one of the news feeds that they had purposely sank 3 of the inflatable rafts with mines in them as a deployment method. I'm betting the frigate interrupted Gad's troops just as they were starting n' ran them off. And floating mines aren't easy to find from what I understand. The current is probably tossing them around haphazardly, making retrieval difficult and it's hard to spot something the size of a basketball in a large body of water.

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 2, 2011

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

pylb posted:

would have expected them to be painted blue if he wants them hidden.

Unknowing
Jan 22, 2005
It's news to me.

Xandu posted:

Do you really think that all journalists that cover US conflicts are in favor of them? You must be really sheltered.

There is certainly a strong and consistent bias among the mainstream media. Most of the ostensiblity unbiased accounts are written such as to allow the authors to hedge their bets and cover their asses if and when their reports later come into question.

Yes, some smaller outlets and humanitarian organizations do provide less biased reports, when able, but it's hardly easy (especially without an abundance of free time to seperate the wheat from the chaff). Safe to say the best way to do that is not to follow the Times, Guardian, or AJE.

Given that most posters are taking any and all accusations levied against "Mad Dog" Gaddafhi at face value. It'd be better not to follow the news at all than to stick your face in the trough and eat what poo poo is offered to you.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Jut posted:

would have expected them to be painted blue if he wants them hidden.

Sea water tends to be greenish in colour - that clear blue is what you get in parts of the Mediterranean. My bet is that those mines are made in Russia, China or the US, which would mean that they're intended for Atlantic or Pacific use.
Also, what the hell? Small, free-floating contact mines? Those would be virtually uncontrollable. The only use I could see is spreading them out in a harbour or major shipping lane and telling the world "gently caress y'all". Then again, that sounds like Gaddafi...

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Unknowing posted:

Yes, some smaller outlets and humanitarian organizations do provide less biased reports, when able, but it's hardly easy (especially without an abundance of free time to seperate the wheat from the chaff).
I wish you the best of luck on getting said "smaller outlets and humanitarian organizations" onto the ground and where things are actually going down.

No, really.

EDIT: Emphasis on the "able" there.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 3, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Guardian has this article about the situation in Misarata:

quote:

Muammar Gaddafi's forces have bombarded Misrata with missiles and tank fire, preventing ships carrying humanitarian aid from entering the port for a fourth straight day.

The sustained attacks on the port are causing deep concern in the city, which has been surrounded by Gaddafi's troops on land for more than two months. Food, medical supplies and other aid can only be delivered through the harbour, while migrant workers and casualties can only be evacuated by boat.

The shelling came as crowds gathered in Tripoli for the funeral of Gaddafi's son Saif al-Arab and three of his grandchildren, who were killed in a Nato air strike on Saturday, according to the government. Gaddafi did not attend the funeral but his son Saif al-Islam did, watching as his brother's coffin, covered in a green flag and flowers, was carried to the cemetery.

The deaths triggered reprisal attacks on the French and British embassies in Tripoli, and the US diplomatic mission, for their role in the Nato mission. But in Misrata, where more than 1,000 people have killed since late February, there is increasing anger that Nato is not doing enough to destroy Gaddafi's missile launchers that continue to pummel the city.

A ferry chartered by the International Organisation for Migration has been forced to wait offshore since Saturday morning. It is due to collect at least 800 African workers who have been trying to escape the city for weeks, and who have been forced to endure the barrage of missiles in recent days. More than 30 hospital patients, four of them in intensive care, are also waiting to board the ship.

"We know the only way to keep Misrata alive is to keep the harbour open," said Hafed Makhlouf, the controller and ship pilot of the port. "Gaddafi realises this too, and knows that the only way to extinguish the revolution is by starving the people."

On Sunday, just hours after Makhlouf had pleaded for Nato to stop the attack on the port, it was pounded again by dozens of missiles that struck the land as well as the sea around the harbour mouth. A checkpoint on the road to the port was also destroyed, killing two guards.

"To be honest, I am not that satisfied with Nato's actions," said Makhlouf, a navy veteran who has worked at the port since 1996. "The harbour has been nearly completely closed for days now."

But a few hours spent with Makhlouf in the controller's office again highlighted the difficulties in communications between the rebels and Nato, which was illustrated last week when 12 rebel fighters were killed after straying into an area that had been cleared for bombing.

"Nato, we have special information for you," said Makhlouf, speaking quickly into the radio. "Do you have a warship close to the breakwater? It's very urgent. Our men are going to fire."

The Nato radio operator answered immediately, promising to check.

Makhlouf ran outside with his satellite phone and binoculars, scanning the harbour entrance. His phone rang: it was Nato confirming neither of its two frigates were that close to the port. Indeed, what the rebel lookouts had spotted was a group of doctors aboard a small boat that had been dispatched from a mother ship forced to remain far offshore.

After losing the battle for Misrata's city centre last week, loyalist forces have concentrated their efforts on shutting down the port, which Gaddafi says is used by rebels to bring in arms. They have been doing so, using small fishing boats from the eastern city of Benghazi but the vast majority of the incoming cargo has been food, drugs and other medical supplies.

In addition to the missile attacks, Gaddafi has also attempted to sink some of the incoming ships using sea mines.

According to Makhlouf, the rebels had received a tip on Thursday from Zleten, a town 30 miles west of Misrata, that three small microbuses had been spotted dropping off a crew of frogmen near the harbour. Makhlouf said he passed on the warning to the two Nato warships stationed off Misrata.

At 4.30am on Friday, while he was asleep on the chair in his office, his radio crackled to life.

It was Nato, saying it had spotted four small dinghies approaching Misrata at speed.

"I asked Nato to act as I was sure it was a plot to destroy the warships, or other ships coming into Misrata," said Makhlouf.

He was right. The loyalist naval team was carrying several floating sea mines aboard two of the dinghies, which they sank about 1.5 miles offshore, directly in the shipping lane to Misrata.

Nato said it had intercepted three mines, and disposed of them.

NATO really needs to help out the rebels with protecting the port, it's essential they keep it open. Did anyone hear anything about ground combat in Misarata in the last couple of days?

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
NATO should Berlin airlift Misrata.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

automatic posted:

That would solve the supply problem, but I doubt they could land considering the state of affairs near the airport. In other words, evacuating wounded and non-combatants wouldn't be feasible. Plus, there's always the chance of a misdrop, and thus supplying Gaddafi's troops. If I had to guess, though, NATO is probably working on something right now.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 10:16 on May 3, 2011

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Gonkish posted:

That would solve the supply problem, but I doubt they could land considering the state of affairs near the airport. Plus, there's always the chance of a misdrop, and thus supplying the Gaddafi's troops. If I had to guess, though, NATO is probably working on something right now.

Yeah to give NATO credit they are quick to react to these situations that have appeared since the start of the intervention. There are simply factors we aren't aware of that inhibit instant solutions. People were quick to jump on them when they weren't wiping out armour outside Benghazi (if I remember correctly) but the situation on the ground was NATO could not target the land forces due to extreme dust storms.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

From what I can tell the shelling of Misarata stopped some time last night, and it's been a quiet night for the residents of the city. Not sure if it started up again in the morning.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

With the world's press focused on Bin Laden there's not much news coming from non-Twitter sources today. Here's NATO's report of their Monday strikes:

quote:

On May 2nd, NATO airplanes flew 158 sorties, 56 of which were intended as strike sorties. Key targets included in the vicinity of Misrata: 12 ammunition storages, 3 self-propelled artillery pieces. In the vicinity of Sirt: 2 armoured personnel carriers. In the vicinity of Ras Lanuf: 1 multiple rocket launcher. In the vicinity of Brega: 1 truck-mounted gun, 3 multiple rocket launchers. In the vicinity of Zintan: 1 ammunition storage. Key engagements are not intended to give a complete account of all targets which were engaged.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

After shutting down there embassay, Turkey's President gave a speech today which has a significant shift in tone after they tried to mediate between Gaddafi, the rebels and NATO:

quote:

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has issued a clear call on Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi to leave power immediately, saying he had turned a blind eye to Turkey's advice to stop bloodshed and appoint a new political leader to peacefully end an uprising against his rule.

“Gaddafi preferred to shed blood instead of heeding our calls,” Erdoğan said in a televised press conference on Tuesday afternoon. “We are done talking in Libya. We want him to leave power for a better future for his country.”

Erdoğan's remarks came a day after Turkey closed its embassy in Tripoli over security concerns. Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu said this is a temporary measure.

The Turkish government has worked for a political solution in Libya, where Gaddafi faces an uprising against his 41-year rule. It has released a three-point roadmap for a political settlement, but Erdoğan's latest remarks appear to suggest that the government has given up on efforts to bring this plan to life through dialogue with both rebels and the Gaddafi side.

Erdoğan said Turkey would continue dialogue with the rebels as well as with the international community while seeking to implement the roadmap.

Hopefully this means that Turkey's opposition to NATO's actions in Libya have eased, and they will be willing to offer more than humanitarian assistance.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

ChangeInLibya is posting some interesting but unverifiable stuff:

quote:

Ajdabiya: Freedom fighters have strict orders to defend and hold positions 40kms west of the city but not to advance any further.. These orders are from the military command, as well as NATO. NATO is bombarding all supplies to Gaddafi troops in Brega.

These Gaddafi forces are expected to surrender in large numbers, because they have very little ammo and food, but to minimize the bloodshed and destruction, Freedom fighters will not march onwards to Brega till they get the green light from NATO.

It's worth mentioning that families from Brega and Ras Lanuf have managed to evacuate to Ajdabiya, and run away from G forces. This shows that Gaddafi does not have complete control over Brega, or enough control to prevent families evacuating the cities.

That's basically the Brega situation... can't advance further than 40kms west of Ajd. but Gaddafi forces are demoralized & have no supplies.

That's a reasonable explanation for why it's been so quiet in the East, and there's apparently been military analyists on AJ Arabic over the past week saying they believe Gaddafi's forces in the East are isolated and running low on supply, so it's slightly lower on the bullshit scale then some of ChangeInLibya's other Tweets.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

automatic posted:

Nobody was shooting at Berlin during the Berlin airlift.

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

evilweasel posted:

Nobody was shooting at Berlin during the Berlin airlift.

True, but the logistics involved are not impossible. We have complete air superiority. If we can't get ships in and we don't want boots on the ground it's pretty much our only option at this point.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

automatic posted:

True, but the logistics involved are not impossible. We have complete air superiority. If we can't get ships in and we don't want boots on the ground it's pretty much our only option at this point.

The berlin airlift involved landing cargo planes and unloading them, not parachuting supplies. Doing that in a city doesn't just require air superiority, it requires control of the ground to make sure the airplanes don't get blown up on the ground by artillery. Given the current Misrata situation that's not the case.

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I understand that the we are not literally going to recreate the Berlin airlift but there are only three options on the table. Establish a landing zone or a drop zone, clear the harbor or abandon the city to CQ. I think short term precision air drops until we can do something better seem to be the only way we can keep the rebels from getting starved out or outgunned.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'm also unclear if the rebels have cleared the airport of Gaddafi troops, if they can defend it well enough to prevent any planes being attacked on the ground, and if the airport is even functional at this point.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I thought one of the things that has been established is that Gaddafi forces have no effective ground-to-air capabilities?

(Neither do the rebels, but recently they're not the ones needing it.)

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

evilweasel posted:

The berlin airlift involved landing cargo planes and unloading them, not parachuting supplies. Doing that in a city doesn't just require air superiority, it requires control of the ground to make sure the airplanes don't get blown up on the ground by artillery. Given the current Misrata situation that's not the case.

Is parachuting supplies a bad idea? Especially now that we could track them via gps seems like it would be quite easy to pull off.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Pureauthor posted:

I thought one of the things that has been established is that Gaddafi forces have no effective ground-to-air capabilities?

(Neither do the rebels, but recently they're not the ones needing it.)

Gaddafi's forces still have access to anti-air weapons, and there's reports from NATO of a couple being destroyed each day, but they aren't capable of preventing the enforcement of the no-fly zone.

The problem is, if you know a large cargo aircraft is either landing supplies or dropping them in one location on a regular basis over a long period of time it's pretty easy to move one of the few remaining AA vehicles to that location and shoot them down.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

automatic posted:

I understand that the we are not literally going to recreate the Berlin airlift but there are only three options on the table. Establish a landing zone or a drop zone, clear the harbor or abandon the city to CQ. I think short term precision air drops until we can do something better seem to be the only way we can keep the rebels from getting starved out or outgunned.

So seriously, do you think the CQ will go 'oh they're dropping supplies, well we better not go fire rockets at that area, that'd be MEAN' or something? Like, not only is that insanely dangerous for the pilots, it's going to get a poo poo ton of rebels gunned down while trying to feed their family.

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ok so we let them starve to death and run out of ammo?

I have confidence that billions of dollars worth of air to ground planes and missiles coupled with gps equipped precision drops can at least get some relief to the transitional government.

If it is so easy for CQ to take out planes why aren't more dropping like flies?

JPADS seem like a good idea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_precision_airdrop_system#Operation

What do you suggest?

automatic fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 3, 2011

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

automatic posted:

I have confidence that billions of dollars worth of air to ground planes and missiles coupled with gps equipped precision drops can at least get some relief to the transitional government.

JPADS seem like a good idea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_precision_airdrop_system#Operation

What do you suggest?

I do recall that NATO performed airdrops during Bosnia and I think that was prior to a no-fly zone. They simply flew above an danger altitudes but their precision was real lovely, with cases where people were getting crushed by aid drops.

I think the only problem is that, regardless of how accurate we can have with airdrops, they still need large open areas for any type of air drop and Misarata doesn't really have a whole lot of those. Any large open areas are on the outside of the city and those are still filled with Qaddafi forces.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

automatic posted:

What do you suggest?

It's a lot easier to hit a low-flying cargo plane that's slowed down to landing speed than to hit an attack jet cruising overhead. It's probably a lot cheaper and easier to clear out the port again. Besides, one ship can carry so much more stuff than a plane, at a much lower cost. That's why almost all the food and supplies we export in general are transported by ship, not plane.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The mustard gas rumour has started bouncing about Twitter again, with claims that a defected soldier has told the rebels Gaddafi plans to use it in the next 1-2 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirtypinata
May 3, 2011

by elpintogrande

Brown Moses posted:

The mustard gas rumour has started bouncing about Twitter again, with claims that a defected soldier has told the rebels Gaddafi plans to use it in the next 1-2 days.

Between that, Justin Beiber (JBEIB!!), and everything else I've been hearing as of late on twitter, I'm not sure who to believe anymore... :cthulhu:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread