Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

atomicvocabulary posted:

I would hate for those prices to go up like that. I have used 2.5 gb and still have like five days to go in my billing cycle.
They wouldn't anyways since you're already a subscriber and likely to be grandfathered into any price adjustment that might happen. If not, it's a "materially adverse" alteration to any contract you may have with Sprint, in which case if they actually were charging $35 for 3 GB/mo you'd bail to Verizon immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
everytime I try to integrate my google voice number with sprint it just throws out a generic There was an error with your request. Please try again.

google! :argh:

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The quoted prices don't make sense at all for a data plan add-on, that was my first tip-off that it was probably data cards.

In general though it wouldn't surprise me if Sprint eventually moves to a tiered model. With spectrum there's finite capacity. You can only split a cell so many times before the noise level gets too high. This is fundamental to RF. The only way you can have "truly unlimited" plans is to have an overabundance of spectrum relative to customers who actually use it. Between Verzion, AT&T, and Sprint, Sprint is the most likely to be in this category. But eventually if they get enough subscribers they will run into capacity issues in certain markets. Once that happens, they'll have to choose one of the not so great options: soft-caps/QoS, hard-caps, or usage disincentives (tiered pricing).

I seem to remember something about the upside to Sprint's lovely building penetrating spectrum was more bandwidth, but I could be completely imagining this.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The quoted prices don't make sense at all for a data plan add-on, that was my first tip-off that it was probably data cards.

In general though it wouldn't surprise me if Sprint eventually moves to a tiered model. With spectrum there's finite capacity. You can only split a cell so many times before the noise level gets too high. This is fundamental to RF. The only way you can have "truly unlimited" plans is to have an overabundance of spectrum relative to customers who actually use it. Between Verzion, AT&T, and Sprint, Sprint is the most likely to be in this category. But eventually if they get enough subscribers they will run into capacity issues in certain markets. Once that happens, they'll have to choose one of the not so great options: soft-caps/QoS, hard-caps, or usage disincentives (tiered pricing).

I'm guessing this is why Sprint is maintaining its relationship with Clearwire (as well as talking to LightSquared) - if Sprint enters into a cell-site sharing agreement with those two companies, it should have PLENTY of spectrum, even for the most densely populated areas. I'm not sure what range LightSquared's spectrum is in, but Clearwire's 2.5 GHz spectrum combined with Sprint's 1900 and 800 MHz spectrum will create an optimal solution for those populated areas by combining all of them on one cell site. A very crude visualization, but this is what I mean:

(2.5 ghz range is the inner ring, 1900 mhz the middle ring, and 800 mhz the outer ring)

Since cell sites are usually located as close to dense population as possible, they'll try to get as many users on 2.5 ghz as possible at a time since it has more throughput and can thus handle more users. As a user moves further away from the tower or go inside buildings, they'd get handed off to lower and lower spectrums as they have greater range.

I'm guessing this is stuff you already know, but figured I'd throw out an explanation of how new cell sites work anyway. I think Sprint is going to maintain unlimited pricing options for the foreseeable future, but maybe begin offering capped data plans at lower prices in order to cater to people like ratbert90 who don't need unlimited.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Ok so I just realized that Google Voice does not have an empty all button for the trash so if you've been using it as long as I have be prepared to click about a thousand times to clean out your trash folder.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I never got a response to my request to move my Voice number to a different Google account. :(

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

heat posted:

I seem to remember something about the upside to Sprint's lovely building penetrating spectrum was more bandwidth, but I could be completely imagining this.
Well of course. There's plenty of bandwidth to go around if none of your subscribers can actually use the service. :v:

Seriously though, you're right, and Alman's post does a great job of explaining why. Sprint's CDMA services historically and at present have only been deployed in a single band, 1900 MHz, which for Sprint has a lot of voice capacity but doesn't handle building penetration as well. In contrast, Verizon has spectrum in both 850 & 1900, and so has both capacity with 1900 and penetration & distance with 850. Verizon's deployment of LTE in 700 is again great for penetration & distance, less so for capacity. WiMAX in 2.5 GHz is the oppposite.

And yes, dumping iDEN, and unifying service deployments in 850/1900/2500 is the best way for Sprint to optimize both its capacity and coverage. I'm not sure it's strictly better than Verizon, who has spectrum in 700/850/1700/1900, or AT&T who has (less) in 700/850/1900 as well. But it's far better than T-Mobile, and will make Sprint a strong technical competitor.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

OptimusMatrix posted:

Ok so I just realized that Google Voice does not have an empty all button for the trash so if you've been using it as long as I have be prepared to click about a thousand times to clean out your trash folder.

Welcome to my hell from last week.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

brc64 posted:

I never got a response to my request to move my Voice number to a different Google account. :(

I didn't either I just logged into my google voice account went to settings and the option showed up under the phones tab.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

OptimusMatrix posted:

I didn't either I just logged into my google voice account went to settings and the option showed up under the phones tab.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about moving my existing Voice number to a different Google account so that I can take advantage of the Sprint integration without losing that number. There's a form you can fill out to request a transfer, but I never heard back on it.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

OptimusMatrix posted:

Clicks on the phone or on the computer? On the computer, for any situation that requires you to click many more times than you want to the solution is to AutoHotKey that bitch.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

brc64 posted:

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about moving my existing Voice number to a different Google account so that I can take advantage of the Sprint integration without losing that number. There's a form you can fill out to request a transfer, but I never heard back on it.

Ahh ok my mistake.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

dphi posted:

It's thick, much thicker than an iPhone. Sprint doesn't really have any thin smart phones, which kind of sucks for me since I find form factor to be a big selling point personally. The Nexus S isn't too bad though.

From last page. Arn't the EVO phones pretty thin?

Edit - Nevermind, apparently EVOs are slightly thicker than Nexus.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 3, 2011

SURPRISE WITNESS
May 14, 2004

I am pretty sure this is how it is supposed to go.
Update on Radio Shack Epic 4G order. I checked the "whereismyorder.com" link from my original email (I check it about 200 times a day... so I'm impatient) and the message used to be something to the effect of "due to the popularity of this phone, we are awaiting shipments of these phones daily and will ship you your phone in the order your payment was received".

Well, after lunch, I check the link again and have a new message!

radio shack posted:

Your order has been sent to Sprint for approval. There is nothing that you need to do until Sprint reviews your application for service.

Once Sprint approves your order, we will process and ship your new phone(s) right away.

Please continue to check this site and your email for up-to-date information on the status of your order. We will let you know immediately if we need any additional information.

Now, I had received an email from Sprint on Saturday saying "Your account information had been updated" showing my new contract start and end date. So hopefully it will be shipping today!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I just got a general announcement email to the address I entered on the Google Voice / Sprint announcement page. It says integration is ready.

It says to do this:
If you already have a Google Voice account, you can enable either option by logging in and clicking on the "Enable Google Voice on my Sprint mobile phone" link next to your Sprint phone number in Google Voice settings.

But no such link exists. :(

edit: Or if I use the get a Google Voice Number method it just sits there saying "Checking for Available Setup Options" forever :(

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 3, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

SURPRISE WITNESS posted:

Update on Radio Shack Epic 4G order..

This morning mine was 'was awaiting shipment of phone' and now it is 'sent to Sprint for approval'. I haven't received any emails from Sprint (I placed the order for my daughter on Friday).

SURPRISE WITNESS
May 14, 2004

nate fisher posted:

This morning mine was 'was awaiting shipment of phone' and now it is 'sent to Sprint for approval'. I haven't received any emails from Sprint (I placed the order for my daughter on Friday).

Maybe try calling Sprint to see if they received your new contract application?

Mine is now here:

radio shack posted:

As soon as your package passes our Quality Assurance team, we will send you an email with your tracking information and update this site with a link directly to the shipper's website.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
I just got an announcement that google voice integration is now available for me.

One question though: once I integrate, can I just go to the google voice web page and get myself a new number if I move, or do I need to go through sprint at that point?

It's pretty convenient that right now I can just switch my number through the web page, way easier than dicking around with anyone from sprint.

EDIT: second question: the email says: "-MMS is currently not supported by Google Voice. MMS sent from your Sprint handset will always display your Sprint number and won't show in your Google Voice call history."

Does this mean that if I have sprint number A and google voice number B, and I integrate to only have number B, my texts still come from number A?

Mistikman fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 3, 2011

mtr
May 15, 2008

Mistikman posted:

Does this mean that if I have sprint number A and google voice number B, and I integrate to only have number B, my texts still come from number A?

MMS sent from you will appear as number A. SMS (texts) sent from you will be from number B.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

brc64 posted:

Can you link that form? I know you said you aren't having any luck but I want to try just the same.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
Forgive me if this has been covered...

I'm currently with Sprint and have successfully made my Sprint # a fully integrated Google Voice number. If I choose to switch services to another carrier in the future (e.g.: Verizon or ATT), then is the following understanding correct?
1) I keep my old Sprint number because I have ported it to Google Voice.
2) I would get a new number via the carrier and would set up call forwarding so that people who call my GV number would call my new carrier number.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

OptimusMatrix posted:

It's the same way on the G-Mail app. No option to "select all" and then delete them en masse. I think it's Google's attempt to being you into it's "never delete anything! Every message/email is important! Just archive it!" philosophy.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Has anyone tried to activate a Verizon phone on a Sprint plan? I understand that the two companies' 4G stuff operates on different frequencies but I was unable to find anything that said EVDO was different between the two. I just bought an HTC Incredible (Verizon) to muck around with. I was planning to use wifi only, but it would be nice if I could get internet everywhere. At least until the EVO 3D comes out!

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Just integrated with Google Voice. Having never used GV before, I'm loving the little things like being able to use my browser to check voicemail and send texts.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

porksmash posted:

Has anyone tried to activate a Verizon phone on a Sprint plan? I understand that the two companies' 4G stuff operates on different frequencies but I was unable to find anything that said EVDO was different between the two. I just bought an HTC Incredible (Verizon) to muck around with. I was planning to use wifi only, but it would be nice if I could get internet everywhere. At least until the EVO 3D comes out!

You won't be able to because the ESN isn't in Sprints database and they won't activate it. You could take it to cricket though. Thats where most stolen phones end up.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

porksmash posted:

Has anyone tried to activate a Verizon phone on a Sprint plan?
While Verizon & Sprint phones are CDMA cross-compatible technically (which is why roaming works), neither carrier will actually activate the other's devices. For the most part, they only light up their own branded devices.

porksmash posted:

I was planning to use wifi only, but it would be nice if I could get internet everywhere.
If you have US Cellular, MetroPCS, or Cricket service in your area you could try activating it on them. Although beware that the "flashing" process in general for CDMA phones is a bit tricky.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

nate fisher posted:

I saw last night on Android Central that Best Buy is now taking pre-orders for the EVO 3D, but they are not advertising it yet. I guess they are waiting until the Nexus S is released this weekend before going on a marketing blitz. I might drop $50 on one for my wife this week.

So I just confirmed this with a friend of mine that works in Best Buy mobile, that's kinda funny

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

While Verizon & Sprint phones are CDMA cross-compatible technically (which is why roaming works), neither carrier will actually activate the other's devices. For the most part, they only light up their own branded devices.

If you have US Cellular, MetroPCS, or Cricket service in your area you could try activating it on them. Although beware that the "flashing" process in general for CDMA phones is a bit tricky.

Not to mention that most places don't have the ability to re-flash your phone back if you decide you hate the regional carriers and want to come back

There's one in the Indianapolis area called Revol. They will flash any CDMA phone you bring to them to work on their network. Problem is, they change the MSL to 000000. When someone tries to bring a phone flashed for Revol back to Sprint, data never works because the phone's MSL doesn't match what's in our database. We don't have access to the tools to flash the MSL back to what it should be, and we are forbidden to put anything not approved on our machines, so even if we wanted to download CDMA workshop and flash it back, we risk getting in trouble to do it.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

heat posted:

True. That high frequency spectrum doesn't go very far, which sounds terrible at first.

You can serve about the same number of people and data on spectrum at 700 MHz or 2.5 GHz, if you had say 700-720 MHz and 2500-2520 MHz. But you can locate 2.5 GHz sites a lot closer to each other without interference, meaning you can spread people out across more sites and giving them more throughput. Basically, think about it like being able to put wifi access points in every building so you only share with people in the area instead of everyone on the block.

Day 1 it's cheaper to put up the one site and serve the whole block, but it sure sucks when everyone uses it at once and you can't add more.

See pictures at the bottom:
http://gigaom.com/2007/03/14/700mhz-explained/

They're very much for 700 MHz in the article because they're talking about public safety networks, which don't need to serve a ton of people but need to cover large areas at a low cost.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

OptimusMatrix posted:

You won't be able to because the ESN isn't in Sprints database and they won't activate it. You could take it to cricket though. Thats where most stolen phones end up.

That's what I thought would be the case, but I had a faint glimmer of hope. I don't want to dick around with flashing it all over the place so I'll just be satisfied with wifi-only.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Chappy posted:

Can you link that form? I know you said you aren't having any luck but I want to try just the same.
I got it from this post, earlier in the thread:

uapyro posted:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=cjlWRDFTWERkZEIxUzVjSmNsN0ExU1E6MA

There's where you can do it, I've used it 3 times so far, maybe 4th time is the final.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=2d70d04e6241089f&hl=en
I was a little weary to begin with since there's no clear indication that this is a legit Google form, which is bothersome. But it was linked from what appeared to be a reputable source in the support thread there, so...

I was honest when I filled out the form, so maybe that's why they didn't do it. If I made up some excuse for needing to move the account, maybe I would have had more luck.

That, or it's not really a legit form and somebody stole my PIN..

brc64 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 3, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

2.3 already leaked for the Evo 4G and the Shift is a newer phone. There's very little chance the Shift never gets 2.3.

Sorry, I meant official from Sprint. In terms of rooting you are definitely right, some people just are not comfortable with ROM stuff (although those people also likely don't care what version of Android they are on).

Alman posted:

Did anyone see this? :raise:

http://www.mobilebusinessbriefing.com/article/sprint-linked-to-data-pricing-strategy-switch-next-week

I'm not sure I believe this for two reasons - first, the "unlimited" ad campaign that was just run, and secondly, the whole point of the $10 was to preclude going to this system.

Those plans are in last week's employee playbook as for Broadband/Aircards, and those plans have been needing a refresh of sorts so I'm mostly for it. I don't think it affects phone plans (or tethering) in any way.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 3, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's the same way on the G-Mail app. No option to "select all" and then delete them en masse. I think it's Google's attempt to being you into it's "never delete anything! Every message/email is important! Just archive it!" philosophy.

You CAN select all from the website though (for both Google Voice and GMail).

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart
I'm having GPS and tethering issues with my EVO ever since installed CM7. I've found directions on how to fix it but the only part I'm stuck on is which ROM should I download to install before going back to CM7. Help?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

the aftermath posted:

I'm having GPS and tethering issues with my EVO ever since installed CM7. I've found directions on how to fix it but the only part I'm stuck on is which ROM should I download to install before going back to CM7. Help?

Any Sense UI based ROM is fine, I used Fresh so just use that one.

rattrap
Mar 25, 2005

Jeratain posted:

Forgive me if this has been covered...

I'm currently with Sprint and have successfully made my Sprint # a fully integrated Google Voice number. If I choose to switch services to another carrier in the future (e.g.: Verizon or ATT), then is the following understanding correct?
1) I keep my old Sprint number because I have ported it to Google Voice.
2) I would get a new number via the carrier and would set up call forwarding so that people who call my GV number would call my new carrier number.

As far as I can tell, integrating does not actually port your number from Sprint to Google Voice. They're just working together to accomplish something very similar with possibly less hassle.

In your scenario, what you would do if you left Sprint is close to what you said, except that you'll likely need to disable integration and actually port your number from Sprint to Google Voice. I'd recommend you get the new number with the other carrier first, then port Sprint->GV and use as before.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
With full integration you are NOT PORTING YOUR # from Sprint!

Sprint owns it still.

SURPRISE WITNESS
May 14, 2004

Alright... got my tracking number from Radio Shack and my Epic will be in my hands Thursday morning!

Now, my question for any Epic owners here is about the best way to carry this beast. My past 3 phones have been the old Samsung A900 flip-phone, Blackberry Pearl, and the Palm Pre. All 3 relatively small and I've carried them all in a belt-clipped holster/pouch. I've seen the horizontal belt pouches for the Epic at the Sprint store and Best Buy, and they seem just too drat big to wear comfortably. However, even if I buy a nice rubberized case and good screen protector and carry it in my pocket it is going to both feel bulky and more likely to get the screen crushed when my clumsy rear end runs into the corner of the hallway or something.

The other option I've seen are the vertically clipped hard cases that you snap the phone into, screen-side facing your hip. I'd feel this might be my best solution, but wanted to get an experienced viewpoint or two here.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SURPRISE WITNESS posted:

Now, my question for any Epic owners here is about the best way to carry this beast.
I'm not sure that carrying the Epic is different than any other smartphone except that it's a bit thicker due to the keyboard.

I don't use a screen protector or a snap-on case. I would recommend carrying it in some kind of case if you don't use a screen protector. Despite having Gorilla Glass, it is possible to scratch it with something hard enough (e.g., diamond rings).

Although a bit pricey, I'm thinking of picking up a Sena Ultraslim pouch. I had one for my old phone and it was great protection for when I wasn't actively using it.

They didn't make one to fit the Epic until recently, and since I've had it I've been using a generic Azmer pouch. The generic pouch doesn't fit the length of the phone, leaving the bottom 1/8" exposed or so, which is where my screen has scratches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

brc64 posted:

I got it from this post, earlier in the thread:

I was a little weary to begin with since there's no clear indication that this is a legit Google form, which is bothersome. But it was linked from what appeared to be a reputable source in the support thread there, so...

I was honest when I filled out the form, so maybe that's why they didn't do it. If I made up some excuse for needing to move the account, maybe I would have had more luck.

That, or it's not really a legit form and somebody stole my PIN..

Nah, it's legit. I found that form in a google FAQ searching for it, but it looked like it was for mistakes. I was honest when I filled mine out too. Here's hoping.