Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I just got an email from the NDP outlining their internet platform:

The NDP posted:

I have heard from thousands of Canadians who tell me that internet
access and cell phone affordability are critical issues for them. Please
know that New Democrats recognize the importance of these issues in
today's rapidly changing society.

The following are highlights from our 2011 election plan:

- We will prohibit all forms of usage-based billing (UBB) by Internet
Service Providers (ISPs);
- We will unlock cells phones, allowing consumers to change providers
without changing phones;
- We will rescind the 2006 Conservative industry-oriented directive to
the CRTC and direct the regulator to stand up for the public interest,
not just the major telecommunications companies;
- We will enshrine "net neutrality" in law, end price gouging and "net
throttling," with clear rules for Internet Service Providers (ISPs),
enforced by the CRTC; and,
- We will apply the proceeds from the advanced wireless spectrum auction
to ensure all Canadians, no matter where they live, will have quality
high-speed broadband internet access.

They already had my vote, but this just puts me even more in their favour... those all seem to be policies that would actually start to get to the root of the problem.

Edit: Just gave them an advanced polling vote, using my TekSavvy internet bill as proof of residence! :canada:

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Some lofty goals, but as an undecided voter that certainly raises my eyebrows.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Finally some political issues I can get behind. A lot better than listening to them argue about where Ignatief lives or whether Canada should buy new jet fighters to protect us from...... someone.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
But who will they have to help implement those policies? They're good, but are they going to get a bunch of industry people to help with the tech side or are there going to be knowledgeable consumers who will have a hand in this?

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008

Dudebro posted:

But who will they have to help implement those policies? They're good, but are they going to get a bunch of industry people to help with the tech side or are there going to be knowledgeable consumers who will have a hand in this?

NPD are in contact with those Stop the Meter guys pretty often, so they can probably help out a little in that department.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Sound like a good platform but at this point I really want to see the last mile turned into some sort of non-profit wholesaler.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I was watching CTV and a Telus representative says that they will be implementing UBB later this year too. After having the VP of SHAW lie to me through his teeth at the public consults I was actually considering giving them a shot, but this doesn't really bode well. Are there any alternatives for television service in Burnaby?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Man, too bad Teksavvy doesn't have cable internet for my part of Vancouver yet.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Argas posted:

Man, too bad Teksavvy doesn't have cable internet for my part of Vancouver yet.

Ditto Edmonton. I'm not the biggest fan of Shaw, but I can't/won't go back to ADSL and cut my speeds in half.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Just logged on to Shaw's Customer Center and noticed that their data usage page is no longer linked for me. I have the link cached and the page still exists but shows no data. I'd been keeping an eye on what it thinks my usage has been and I know it's been way off, showing less than half what my usage this month has been.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

ub posted:

Just logged on to Shaw's Customer Center and noticed that their data usage page is no longer linked for me. I have the link cached and the page still exists but shows no data. I'd been keeping an eye on what it thinks my usage has been and I know it's been way off, showing less than half what my usage this month has been.

So weird. I was JUST looking at it this weekend then a coworker said today he couldn't see it on his profile page and it seems to be gone from mine too now.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Squibbles posted:

So weird. I was JUST looking at it this weekend then a coworker said today he couldn't see it on his profile page and it seems to be gone from mine too now.

I think it's just random oddness that crops up from time to time. I've seen the usage counter appear and disappear on my account page at least a dozen times.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
How low are you guys getting throttled to after you hit your cap? My university has data caps for all students using on-campus internet, whether wired in the dorms or wireless in class or study areas.

Anyway, I just hit the cap for the first time since I moved off campus, and now I'm stuck at 64kbps until Friday and considering tethering my phone to get better internet.

Alternatively, are Canadian ISPs just charging people for overages rather than throttling them down?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Weinertron posted:

Alternatively, are Canadian ISPs just charging people for overages rather than throttling them down?

Yep. Because you see there's no revenue to be made throttling Canadians are enthusiastic to pay more for the same level of service.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Many ISPs(mostly the big commercial ones) are throttling things like BitTorrent and charging for overages. No month to month bandwidth carry over or any other traffic management policies that might benefit both parties, it's strictly "our TV revenues are dropping and we're gonna rape you" gouge city up here. Most of them are literally on the record with shareholders saying that they view bandwidth(both residential and cellular) as huge growth profit centers.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 26, 2011

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
So my brother and I are home for the summer, and between us and my parents it seems like our Rogers cap of 95GB (Don't even get me started on how they keep increasing their speeds and lowering their monthly caps, our 95GB cap is grandfathered) is going to be stretched pretty thin. I was monitoring just typical day to day usage the last 3 days and we're already averaging >3GB a day, and that's not including any out of the ordinary big downloads. Admittedly that was over the weekend, but still.

So I started looking into alternative service and Acanac looks pretty promising, just wondering if any of you in here have first hand experience with them? It seems like it's too good to be true, but maybe I'm just blinded by the price rape we've been receiving from Rogers all these years? Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask.

edit: just spent some time reading the last few pages, noticed Acanac has some customer support issues. Maybe Distributel is where I should look.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 26, 2011

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Weinertron posted:

How low are you guys getting throttled to after you hit your cap? My university has data caps for all students using on-campus internet, whether wired in the dorms or wireless in class or study areas.

Anyway, I just hit the cap for the first time since I moved off campus, and now I'm stuck at 64kbps until Friday and considering tethering my phone to get better internet.

If they throttled us we wouldn't be able to rack up overage charges as quickly, and is thus not in the best interest of the company.

Aqualung
Oct 10, 2005

Don't worry guys, Ron knows the guy who drives the crane.

DarkJC posted:

So my brother and I are home for the summer, and between us and my parents it seems like our Rogers cap of 95GB (Don't even get me started on how they keep increasing their speeds and lowering their monthly caps, our 95GB cap is grandfathered) is going to be stretched pretty thin. I was monitoring just typical day to day usage the last 3 days and we're already averaging >3GB a day, and that's not including any out of the ordinary big downloads. Admittedly that was over the weekend, but still.

So I started looking into alternative service and Acanac looks pretty promising, just wondering if any of you in here have first hand experience with them? It seems like it's too good to be true, but maybe I'm just blinded by the price rape we've been receiving from Rogers all these years? Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask.

edit: just spent some time reading the last few pages, noticed Acanac has some customer support issues. Maybe Distributel is where I should look.

Acanac is so bad. Their customer service is poo poo and like 1 in 3 people have billing issues with these guys. Distributel is also pretty bad and they are both congested as hell. My advice would be to go with Teksavvy. Costs a bit more than Acanac/Distributel but their CEO posts on DSLreports.com regularly and they've even gone through the motions of cancelling signups when speeds were too slow - something Distributel/Acanac has not done and it's showed for the customers in the past 6mo.

Just do some research on https://www.dslreports.com and decide what you want.

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004
do you consider 800kilobytes/s down and 120kB/s up sufficient? that's enough to stream 720p for sure, and gaming quality is more latency related

currently I have that, unlimited at a good price, but I'm wondering if these fibe/25/50/75 really change how you use the internet. basically, as far as i can see, anything i would want to do can be done with what I have, and I can't think of anything that would be useful @ 75mb that isn't a server.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Eamonn posted:

do you consider 800kilobytes/s down and 120kB/s up sufficient? that's enough to stream 720p for sure, and gaming quality is more latency related

currently I have that, unlimited at a good price, but I'm wondering if these fibe/25/50/75 really change how you use the internet. basically, as far as i can see, anything i would want to do can be done with what I have, and I can't think of anything that would be useful @ 75mb that isn't a server.
6.4 down/1 up with no bandwidth caps is pretty good imo. Recall that if you go for those faster speeds, they'll come with caps, and so their immediate advantage over your current setup (downloading large files quickly) will be limited. Basically, I can't imagine it being worth the "upgrade".

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007
Bell Canada has started to call multiple times daily within the past week, no doubt trying to get me to alter our internet plan, thus not being a grandfathered 'unlimited' DSL plan. I wish we had another good option where we live, because this poo poo is ridiculous.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think it's just random oddness that crops up from time to time. I've seen the usage counter appear and disappear on my account page at least a dozen times.

Yeah... it's back for me now. Still completely wrong though (in my favour :twisted:)

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

teethgrinder posted:

I've been using http://www.usvideo.org to proxy US Netflix ever since someone mentioned it in the Toronto thread. It's been two months now and it's working great.

The site is really good about giving you complete instructions on whatever your equipment is, and how to set up a virtual US credit card. All together it works out to around $12/mth for me. (I paid $50 to get a year service of US Video as opposed to doing $5/mth though.)

There's a free week-long trial for US Video, (and a month for US Netflix) but you're still going to have to spend a bit of money setting up an Entropay account if you don't happen to have a US credit card somehow.
I tried out for unblock.us this weekend and it works as advertised. Thinks I'm from the US, but no percievable slowdown on my end.

In a fit of irony over hearing about how much better the selection in the US is, I hit a bit of a negative with Netflix. It appears almost all the TV shows I was watching on the Canadian version and some movies I was planning on watching are all the ones not available on the US versions. (I was in the middle of Mad Men, Justified and Mythbusters on the Canadian Netflix. The US version doesn't carry the first two at all and only has a "best of" selection of Mythbusters episodes.)

That said, I really like how it works, and I'm happy to be listening to Pandora again. Once PSN is back online, I hope to try out Vudu. Despite the above qualms, I think I'll stick with the US Version. Setting up an instant queue is worth it alone. I'll probably be changing my Zip.ca account down to 1 disc as well.

Now I just need Teksavvy to offer Cable internet in my area and this whole situation will be perfect.

Sir Liquid Jerk
Aug 10, 2002
I have Ham Armor +5!
Conservative majority. :suicide:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

NDP opposition though, maybe they'll be able to yell louder about it now :v:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Not much louder, with that much of a landslide. :suicide:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Who knows, maybe they'll open things up to foreign competition to gently caress over Bell and Rogers.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

8ender posted:

Who knows, maybe they'll open things up to foreign competition to gently caress over Bell and Rogers.

Their media companies have been giving sloppy head to the tories for the last month, they're gonna expect some juicy return from all that, and they will likely get it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Tony Clement was a good ally in the first round.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

teethgrinder posted:

Tony Clement was a good ally in the first round.
Only because they were a minority government. They now have a stable majority and no longer have to give a poo poo about anything.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

cowofwar posted:

Only because they were a minority government. They now have a stable majority and no longer have to give a poo poo about anything.

Don't worry, Tony Clement has assured me through Twitter direct message that he will still be commited to the UBB fight. :emo:

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah, I'm not sure why you guys are all :suicide: when it was the Conservative Industry Minister that told the CRTC that their decision sucked and to re-examine it. There are plenty of things about the election results to not be happy with, but I don't know if UBB is one of them.

Anyway, yesterday I pulled the trigger and cancelled my Internet service with Shaw, and signed up with Teksavvy for their 25/2 cable (same as Shaw, but 300GB/month for $20 less? Sign me up). I've read a few horror stories online about people switching from Rogers to Teksavvy back in February/March, so hopefully the transition is smooth. I guess I'll know May 12, when the switch is supposed to happen. Teksavvy tells me it should be pretty seamless, a tech won't even have to come out. If my internet doesn't work for a few days, I can always ask my neighbours for their WPA key, I guess.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
If anything, the Conservative crime legislation which is almost certainly going to include internet surveillance is more worrying than UBB. They've tried it before, and before the election Harper said he'd try to pass this in the first 100 days of parliament if he got a majority.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I don't know why people are championing Clement so hard over UBB. It doesn't seem like he's going to push any further than that, which is what needs to be done.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

It also seems he's approaching it from the angle that forcing UBB on resellers is unfair to companies attempting to compete (which it is) rather than UBB in general being unfair to consumers (which is the bigger issue I think).

He could give a gently caress about consumers, because as long as companies are able to fairly compete, the invisible hand of the free market will deliver for the consumers!*

*as long as those consumers live in one of a handful of cities, or are okay with 5mbit internet in 2011!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So yeah, home, trying to convince parents to switch, one problem. My father has a sympatico email he's used for 4 years, and it's tied to his business now. This is the only real block on it, so I'd like to know exactly how long after we switch will Bell cancel or if there is some way to keep it.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

StealthArcher posted:

So yeah, home, trying to convince parents to switch, one problem. My father has a sympatico email he's used for 4 years, and it's tied to his business now. This is the only real block on it, so I'd like to know exactly how long after we switch will Bell cancel or if there is some way to keep it.

I'm pretty sure he can keep the e-mail address as long as he pays them something like $10 a month. The best option would be to do that and have him get his own domain name for his business emails for a cheap $40 a year, it'll look a lot more professional and you have better control over it incase you decide to change ISPs again.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Yeah that's definitely the way to go, I did the same thing with my father. Got him a domain name, set his reply to address in poo poo like the blackberry to the new email in case he uses the old account at all. Three months is a good enough time to pick up the important people, he can dump it after that and anyone else will probably have his phone number anyway.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah that's definitely the way to go, I did the same thing with my father. Got him a domain name, set his reply to address in poo poo like the blackberry to the new email in case he uses the old account at all. Three months is a good enough time to pick up the important people, he can dump it after that and anyone else will probably have his phone number anyway.

Fair point, he's well and willing to listen to me if I have a solution.

Only problem is his contacts are horribly decentralized and in strings, word of mouth is powerful, having kept him employed, but it's also horrible to follow up with any of them who didn't wind up giving contact info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

In the same situation, and I haven't been able to find anything concrete on how long the sympatico email will hang around for. If you get a concrete answer on that from anywhere, could you post it here?